ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Texting in the theater in Florida? I don't think so... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280643)

Al Bundy 01-13-2014 05:40 PM

Texting in the theater in Florida? I don't think so...

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/2...-movie-theater

WESLEY CHAPEL (FOX 13) -

A moviegoer lost his life inside a Pasco County theater Monday afternoon after a dispute over texting with a retired police officer.

According to the sheriff's office, the dispute happened before the 1:20 showing of 'Lone Survivor' had even gotten underway at the Cobb CineBistro at Grove 16 complex on Wesley Grove Blvd.

Investigators say two couples had gotten into an argument over noise.

"The victim was on his cell phone; he was texting. We believe he was making some kind of noise. This noise led to an altercation between the suspect and the victim," Sheriff Chris Nocco explained.

A witness recalled seeing the agitated man -- later identified by deputies as Curtis Reeves -- get up and leave in an apparent attempt to find a manager. When he came back alone, the argument escalated.

Charles Cummings told FOX 13 he heard the victim say he was texting his 3-year-old daughter before Reeves pulled out a pistol.

"Their voices start going up, there seems to be a confrontation, somebody throws popcorn, then bang, he was shot," said Cummings, who was there to celebrate his birthday. "I heard the victim say, 'I can't believe...,' then he fell on us."

"I asked if the guy was OK, and he started gurgling blood and then fell," recalled Cummings' son, who said he ran to call 911.

Both the man, identified by deputies as Chad Oulson, and his wife Nicole were struck by the single shot. Oulson, 43, was hit in the chest and died, while Nicole was hit in the hand when she put her hand up in front of her husband. She suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

An off-duty Sumter County deputy inside the theater was able to grab the gun and detain Reeves until deputies arrived, the sheriff added.

Reeves, a 71-year-old retired Tampa police officer, was arrested and charged with second-degree murder. A 2005 Tampa Bay Times article also described him as a former director of security for Busch Gardens.

Moments after he was named as the suspect, Tampa police issued a statement saying Reeves had retired back in 1993 as a captain.

"He was instrumental in establishing the department's first Tactical Response Team," the statement explained. "We are not aware of any contact with the department since his departure more than 20 years ago."

Nocco said his detectives considered if this could be a 'stand your ground' case but decided the criteria did not apply.

"It's absolutely crazy it would rise to this level over somebody just texting in a movie theater," he offered.

"I can't believe people would bring a gun to a movie," added Cummings, a Marine who served in Vietnam. "I can't believe they would argue and fight and shoot one another over popcorn or even a cell phone."

Read more: http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/2...#ixzz2qKGDJNuj
Follow us: @myfoxtampabay on Twitter | FOX13TampaBay on Facebook

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 01-13-2014 05:46 PM

Retired cop on a power trip. I'm shocked

Easy 6 01-13-2014 05:50 PM

Texting his three year old? Bullshit.

Doesnt excuse cold blooded murder obviously, the old man pretty much guaranteed he'll die in prison... an old and helpless, retired cop... in prison... justice is served.

DenverChief 01-13-2014 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy lost the toss (Post 10367698)
Bat shit crazy old **** power trip. I'm shocked

FYP

MTG#10 01-13-2014 06:26 PM

Serves him right. **** movie theater texters.

Brock 01-13-2014 06:28 PM

I don't see the problem.

DenverChief 01-13-2014 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 10367750)
Serves him right. **** movie theater texters.

LMAO I don't disagree except if it was before the movie even started - who cares? I think the old man just lost all common sense

Trevo_410 01-13-2014 06:30 PM

well.. that leaves one less of those mother****ers watching the same movie as I am, while texting. Seriously take care of your business before or after you dumbass ****s. I hope that lady gets her hand amputated so it makes 2!

:#:#

Superbowltrashcan 01-13-2014 06:30 PM

I wonder if anyone got free tickets to a later showing? Bet nobody went in that dude's yard....

Contrarian 01-13-2014 06:33 PM

I don't either.

DenverChief 01-13-2014 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Bundy (Post 10367693)

"I can't believe people would bring a gun to a movie," added Cummings, a Marine who served in Vietnam.

BTW have you been living under a rock? Who doesn't go armed to a movie theater anymore (if you legally can)?

Saulbadguy 01-13-2014 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverChief (Post 10367773)
BTW have you been living under a rock? Who doesn't go armed to a movie theater anymore (if you legally can)?

Sane people.

DenverChief 01-13-2014 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 10367774)
Sane people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ret. Col. David Grossman
Some estimates say that two million Americans are victims of violent crimes every year, a tragic, staggering number, perhaps an all-time record rate of violent crime. But there are almost 300 million Americans, which means that the odds of being a victim of violent crime is considerably less than one in a hundred on any given year. Furthermore, since many violent crimes are committed by repeat offenders, the actual number of violent citizens is considerably less than two million.

Thus there is a paradox, and we must grasp both ends of the situation: We may well be in the most violent times in history, but violence is still remarkably rare. This is because most citizens are kind, decent people who are not capable of hurting each other, except by accident or under extreme provocation. They are sheep.

I mean nothing negative by calling them sheep. To me it is like the pretty, blue robin’s egg. Inside it is soft and gooey but someday it will grow into something wonderful. But the egg cannot survive without its hard blue shell. Police officers, soldiers and other warriors are like that shell, and someday the civilization they protect will grow into something wonderful. For now, though, they need warriors to protect them from the predators.

“Then there are the wolves,” the old war veteran said, “and the wolves feed on the sheep without mercy.” Do you believe there are wolves out there who will feed on the flock without mercy? You better believe it. There are evil men in this world and they are capable of evil deeds. The moment you forget that or pretend it is not so, you become a sheep. There is no safety in denial.

“Then there are sheepdogs,” he went on, “and I’m a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf.” Or, as a sign in one California law enforcement agency put it, “We intimidate those who intimidate others.”

If you have no capacity for violence then you are a healthy productive citizen: a sheep. If you have a capacity for violence and no empathy for your fellow citizens, then you have defined an aggressive sociopath--a wolf. But what if you have a capacity for violence, and a deep love for your fellow citizens? Then you are a sheepdog, a warrior, someone who is walking the hero’s path. Someone who can walk into the heart of darkness, into the universal human phobia, and walk out unscathed.

I am a sheepdog and I suspect a vast majority of those who are able to carry a firearm legally (such as CCW holders are as well sheepdogs)

GloryDayz 01-13-2014 07:05 PM

Did they drag-out the carcass and let the others get back to the movie? That's really all that matters here!

Movie texter/loud guy being dead = good.

Over zealous ex-cop in jail = good.

Rest of the group gets to see the rest of the movie about killing and mayhem in peace - REALLY GOOD.

GloucesterChief 01-13-2014 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverChief (Post 10367812)
I am a sheepdog and I suspect a vast majority of those who are able to carry a firearm legally (such as CCW holders are as well sheepdogs)

DenverChief, I am not sure you know this but the slogan that officer says is on a sign in a California law enforcement agency was actually the slogan of the Rampart CRASH unit of the LAPD.

Not exactly the people you want to emulate when it comes to policing.