ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2012 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=254372)

alnorth 12-10-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9196603)
How so? We won 72 games last year. Shields had a 2.2 WAR. That implies we are now what, 75 wins? Davis was a 1.0 WAR player. So now 76 wins. That's not even close to competitive. We are worse than Detroit at almost every position on the 25-man roster.

Well, if you look at pythag, we underperformed by a game and the Tigers overperformed by half a game. So a couple months ago the gap really stood at about 14.5 games. Thats still a yawning chasm.

Hosmer and Moose should both improve. Frenchy is probably not a -2.7 WAR player, if you normalize his luck he's probably a shade over replacement. That could be 5 or 6 wins. Then our pitching upgrades could add several more games. If we are on paper a few games worse than the Tigers, that is close enough to get lucky.

The trade was probably ill-advised because we just aren't close enough, but DM decided to rashly go all-in, so OK fine, here we are. We can optimistically hope to get lucky, but thats what it would take because if we play out 2013 1,000 times Detroit probably wins well over 500 of those seasons.

On the other side, to put a bit of a damper on it, Gordon has now hit over .350 babip 2 seasons in a row. It would be neat if he could do that a 3rd time, but probably not. Sal Perez and Escobar could both regress as well. We probably also need Butler to erupt, and exceed 2012.

JohnnyV13 12-10-2012 12:58 PM

http://thevirilview.com/royals/2012/...e-magic-beans/

Awful trade.

Mr. Laz 12-10-2012 12:59 PM

Hopefully this instills some confidence and pride into the team. If these 2 pitchers make the team 'feel' worthy it will probably be worth it.

culture of losing is a tough thing to break

Mr. Laz 12-10-2012 12:59 PM

Hopefully this instills some confidence and pride into the team. If these 2 pitchers make the team 'feel' worthy it will probably be worth it.

culture of losing is a tough thing to break

Prison Bitch 12-10-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9196665)
On the other side, to put a bit of a damper on it, Gordon has now hit over .350 babip 2 seasons in a row. It would be neat if he could do that a 3rd time, but probably not. Sal Perez and Escobar could both regress as well. We probably also need Butler to erupt, and exceed 2012.

I still like Cain, and if he can stay healthy (if!) I think he can give us .270-15-70 and play a damn good CF. Not worried about Gordon & Butler at all. Sal being in the lineup is critical as witnessed by our horrendous 0-10 home start without him. Hosmer was unlucky so normalizing his data and assuming hte 3rd year breakout tendency should be nice. Moose will be fine.

I'd love to get something out of 2B. Getz, if he learns how to walk 70x, would be great. Just get on base.

Hootie 12-10-2012 01:03 PM

offensively, we have two weak spots (RF, 2nd)

that's not bad by any means

Hootie 12-10-2012 01:03 PM

Mr. Laz 12-10-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Tasty Cheeks (Post 9196694)

somebody needs to squeeze Frenchy about his plate discipline. He gets lazy and just starts hacking.

platoon Gio and Getz ... hopefully Gio clicks.

KC_Connection 12-10-2012 01:14 PM

Joe Posnanski ‏@JPosnanski
@jeffpassan likes KC trade a lot more than I do. Last time we disagreed, he liked Royals signing Jose Lima. Maybe this time he's right.

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
@JPosnanski Actually, last time we disagreed was about Joe Paterno.

...wow.

Hootie 12-10-2012 01:15 PM

hilarious

WilliamTheIrish 12-10-2012 01:16 PM

Oh shit! That's a great snipe by Passan.

mr. tegu 12-10-2012 01:16 PM

On 610 DM did say something interesting about the trade. He mentioned how the major league players like Butler, Gordon, Escobar, etc. want to stay here as long as possible but that they want to know the organization is committed to winning. This certainly lets them know that.

As players they probably aren't nearly as enamored with Myers as everyone else is. They probably are thinking that, yeah another bat is nice but it doesn't do a ton of good when our top of the rotation pitchers put us in a 5-0 whole after two innings. Its interesting to think of this from a ML players perspective. Did any of our current roster ever really play with Myers?

stevenidol 12-10-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9196719)
Joe Posnanski ‏@JPosnanski
@jeffpassan likes KC trade a lot more than I do. Last time we disagreed, he liked Royals signing Jose Lima. Maybe this time he's right.

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
@JPosnanski Actually, last time we disagreed was about Joe Paterno.

Boom roasted!

The Franchise 12-10-2012 01:17 PM

Dodgers fan here.

What should I know about Greinke?

KC_Connection 12-10-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 9196436)
That's clearly the argument in support of the trade; your window is now, so go for it. I still don't like the trade for a number of reasons, but it's done so I'm ready to move on. As Deez said, winning our division (or more) one of the next two years is how this trade will be measured, so it's very black and white. We'll see.

It's a somewhat similar move to the one the Jays made a few weeks ago for Johnson/Reyes/Buerhle, except instead of receiving massive public praise it has receive massive public criticism. That has something to do with Myers' pedigree obviously, the Rays' reputation as geniuses, and that the Royals are perceived to be a little bit further from contention, but it's odd.

Quote:

I'm pissed we lost Myers, but I am looking forward to having a real, live major league rotation for the first time in 25 years. Shields is a horse, and hopefully Davis found something in the pen that he can take back with him to the rotation. SP to RP back to SP has worked for some other pitchers, Greinke and Halladay to name a couple (and no, of course I'm not suggesting Davis will be at the level of either of those guys).
I had forgotten that about Halladay. I guess he was a reliever for a while before he had to go back down to the minors and came back a completely different guy.

As I said earlier in the thread, I still like Davis as a starter. I think he can be effective there as a 4/5.