ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Anyone here's child ever had a seizure? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=137144)

CanadaKC 03-11-2006 04:14 PM

Anyone here's child ever had a seizure?

Our little girl, Olivia (20 months old), just had two in one day. They were brought on by a fever (called a febrile seisure)...and we were scared as hell. Anyone with more insight and info. is appreciated...

mississippichiefan 03-11-2006 04:28 PM

My son started having parital motor seizures when he was in the 2 or 3 grade , he would not be able to talk for about a minute and couldn't control his mouth. These seizures were not the worst kind but they still scared us to death . He had to stay on seizeure meds till he was a senior in high school and is fine and hasn't had anymore . When he first got on the meds he had another one or two but once they adjusted it , they went away . I know how you feel and I will pray that everything will be ok . When something like this happens to your child it is very hard on you. God bless you

Tribal Warfare 03-11-2006 04:32 PM

I have a seizure disorder what would you like to know?

Katipan 03-11-2006 04:34 PM

gosh, I'm so sorry. poor baby.

JBucc 03-11-2006 04:40 PM

A dog i used to have had seizures.

StcChief 03-11-2006 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBucc
A dog i used to have had seizures.

I had an imbreed Cocker Spaniel that had them.

Doctor said she had 2-3 for everyone we saw....

Got her from a breeder. Bastard.

Scorp 03-11-2006 04:46 PM

My son had a seizure last year when he was 4 days old at least thats what they thought he had. He stopped breathing for about 45 seconds. He hasn't had anything like that since. It was scary as hell.

CanadaKC 03-11-2006 05:26 PM

I guess it's more scary for the parents...as the doctors say it does nothing to the infant/person usually...you just have to wait it out. As far as Febrile Seisures go...I was hoping it was a once and a lifetime occurance...but her odds go up as she's already had two. So every thime she gets sick...yikes!!! We'll be walking on eggshells. These kind od seizures apparantly go away for good when the infant is around five or six years old.

Tribal Warfare 03-11-2006 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadaKC
I guess it's more scary for the parents...as the doctors say it does nothing to the infant/person usually...you just have to wait it out. As far as Febrile Seisures go...I was hoping it was a once and a lifetime occurance...but her odds go up as she's already had two. So every thime she gets sick...yikes!!! We'll be walking on eggshells. These kind od seizures apparantly go away for good when the infant is around five or six years old.

I had my first seizure when I was three, because of sleep deprievation. The doc will perscribe certain meds like Lamictil or Keppra. The hard part is the waithing if the dosage of the meds will quell the problem

brent102fire 03-11-2006 06:23 PM

I am a Paramedic/Firefighter here in Southern California. Febrile seizures are more common than you think. Parents call 911 quite a bit for them. They are caused by the rapid rise in body temperature because the infants hypothalamus is immature and unable to compensate for the rapid increase in body temp. Not too worry, it actually looks scary to the parents but it's not life threatening or anything serious. Use Children's Tylenol(as directed) and passive cooling measures(wash cloth with tepid water) will help to prevent these in the future. Do not bundle the child up in blankets or clothes as it will add to the rapid increase in temperature. Single layer of clothing is fine.

CanadaKC 03-11-2006 07:48 PM

Thank you all...especially you Brent...for your great input. I have heard it is more common (Febrile Seizures) than people thhink too. We will do our part not to see that happen again...that's for sure. But you did put my and my wife's mind at ease...so thank you. :clap:

Smoke 03-11-2006 09:03 PM

I guess they are common. My daughter had one two weeks ago. It was maybe the scariest thing I've had to deal with. Spent the day at the hospital with 103 to 104.5 fever till it finally broke. Doctors were not worried about the seisure that much at all, which shocked the hell out of me. It only lasted maybe 90 seconds but seemed like a hour at the time.

C-Mac 03-11-2006 09:29 PM

I have 4 kids and they all have a fever seizure. Freaked out on the first one, took the rest in stride. No doubt a little scary to a new parent if your unsure of whats happening.