ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life What is it with motorcycle ads? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=261308)

BIG_DADDY 07-11-2012 06:14 PM

What is it with motorcycle ads?

Seems like every bike I look at says something stupid like, no BS, serious inquires only, no tire kicking, don't waste my time. Give me a friggen break, you're are not selling a learjet bro.

CoMoChief 07-11-2012 06:29 PM

If you ride one...you'll buy one.

Dr. Johnny Fever 07-11-2012 06:31 PM

Buy new moneybags.

BIG_DADDY 07-11-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 8733449)
If you ride one...you'll buy one.

Taking my time picking. Been riding since I was 6 but I am just looking for a little something to put around on like zx14 or something.

Thig Lyfe 07-11-2012 06:34 PM

I hit a pit bull with my motorcycle once. The thrill was indescribable.

Dayze 07-11-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 8733458)
Taking my time picking. Been riding since I was 6 but I am just looking for a little something to put around on like zx14 or something.

LMAO

Radar Chief 07-11-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 8733424)
Seems like every bike I look at says something stupid like, no BS, serious inquires only, no tire kicking, don't waste my time. Give me a friggen break, you're are not selling a learjet bro.

Have you tried selling a bike lately? Know how many idiots think they can just throw a leg over it and take your bike for a test ride without showing any money?

Radar Chief 07-11-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 8733458)

:LOL: Yea, just a "little something to put around on" like the quickest street bike ever made.

Rain Man 07-11-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 8733526)
Have you tried selling a bike lately? Know how many idiots think they can just throw a leg over it and take your bike for a test ride without showing any money?

You have to put money down to take a test drive? I didn't know that. How much? Or do you just have to flash the money to prove that you could buy it if you wanted?

Brock 07-11-2012 07:08 PM

I deal with dumbbells all the time who don't know what "FIRM" means.

Radar Chief 07-11-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 8733534)
You have to put money down to take a test drive? I didn't know that. How much? Or do you just have to flash the money to prove that you could buy it if you wanted?

I've never taken a test ride without putting some money down first. Been a while since I bought a bike from a dealership so I'm not sure what the customary collateral payment would be. The deal I've always worked when selling a bike is I need a cashiers check, cash works also, for the agreed upon price of the bike in my hand before they take it for a ride. From that point the buyer has 24 hours to bring it back undamaged or I cash the check, deposit the money.
Problem is any schmo can say they'll buy your bike then take it for a test ride, crash it then you're liable for the damage to the bike and possibly even their hospital bill.

Rain Man 07-11-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 8733566)
I've never taken a test ride without putting some money down first. Been a while since I bought a bike from a dealership so I'm not sure what the customary collateral payment would be. The deal I've always worked when selling a bike is I need a cashiers check, cash works also, for the agreed upon price of the bike in my hand before they take it for a ride. From that point the buyer has 24 hours to bring it back undamaged or I cash the check, deposit the money.
Problem is any schmo can say they'll buy your bike then take it for a test ride, crash it then you're liable for the damage to the bike and possibly even their hospital bill.

Ah, interesting.

I didn't know it was a 24-hour deal. I thought a test ride was more or less driving it around the block.

I guess you can't ride along on a motorcycle, too, now that I think about it. It's a little different than a car that way.

mlyonsd 07-11-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 8733566)

Last bike I bought, yeah it was centuries ago, was at a dealership and I just got on and rode. Is it different now at dealers with new bikes?

R8RFAN 07-11-2012 07:41 PM

Because of people like this..

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9CG5HozkvAc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kstater 07-11-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 8733424)

I'm selling a 4 wheeler. You know how many reeruns and idiots come in wanting 2k off the asking price, think it's supposed to be brand new, want me to transport it for them?

Bugeater 07-11-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 8733594)
I'm selling a 4 wheeler. You know how many reeruns and idiots come in wanting 2k off the asking price, think it's supposed to be brand new, want me to transport it for them?

That's what irritates me whenever I'm trying to sell ANYTHING. People start pointing out the flaws and trying beat you down further on the price. Hey ****stick, there's a reason I'm only asking a fraction of the original price of the item to begin with.

kstater 07-11-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 8733600)
That's what irritates me whenever I'm trying to sell ANYTHING. People start pointing out the flaws and trying beat you down further on the price. Hey ****stick, there's a reason I'm only asking a fraction of the original price of the item to begin with.

Had one guy actually ask me if there were any scratches on it before he came and looked at it. HEY reerun IT'S A 4 WHEELER, IT AIN'T USED TO CRUISE DOWN THE HIGHWAY.

BIG_DADDY 07-11-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 8733526)

I haven't bought and sold that much but when I have nobody has demanded flash cash so far. On the other end I have not had some clown show up for a joy ride either so I just must be lucky.

BIG_DADDY 07-11-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thig Lyfe (Post 8733460)
I hit a pit bull with my motorcycle once. The thrill was indescribable.

Yea I am sure the dog was thrilled, walked away unscathed while taking out you and your bike.

BIG_DADDY 07-11-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 8733594)

No, how many?

-King- 07-11-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 8733534)

Collateral. Don't want some stranger taking your car/bike on a test drive and never coming back.

Radar Chief 07-11-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 8733581)
Ah, interesting.

I didn't know it was a 24-hour deal. I thought a test ride was more or less driving it around the block.

I guess you can't ride along on a motorcycle, too, now that I think about it. It's a little different than a car that way.

You're putting a lot of blind faith in someone else's honesty and riding ability otherwise.

Thig Lyfe 07-11-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 8733642)
Yea I am sure the dog was thrilled, walked away unscathed while taking out you and your bike.

Nah, I was fine. I'm all caught up on my vaccinations.

BIG_DADDY 07-11-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thig Lyfe (Post 8733674)
Nah, I was fine. I'm all caught up on my vaccinations.

yea those facial/pavement vaccines are a must.

Radar Chief 07-11-2012 08:43 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IgAYS9BR86I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BTW, the new ZX-14. Granted this is a Brock prepared bike but its still mostly stock, except for pipe, programmer and I'm assuming it's geared. Otherwise stock engine, stock wheel base, street tires.

BIG_DADDY 07-11-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 8733530)
:LOL: Yea, just a "little something to put around on" like the quickest street bike ever made.

Actually I am undecided but am leaning towards the zx10, 11, 12 or 14. I think I am just going to be patient and pick up the 14. At an exceptional price I would consider several other bikes though including a Honda VTX 1800C, Buell 1125CR, ZX9R or even a Harley but because of the price I am really trying to avoid the dealership with the Harley. I could be talked into one real easy.

BIG_DADDY 07-11-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 8733691)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IgAYS9BR86I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BTW, the new ZX-14. Granted this is a Brock prepared bike but its still mostly stock, except for pipe, programmer and I'm assuming it's geared. Otherwise stock engine, stock wheel base, street tires.

Oh great, there you go selling me. Great performance for price wouldn't you say?

Radar Chief 07-11-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 8733699)
Oh great, there you go selling me. Great performance for price wouldn't you say?

Yes I would.

Pants 07-11-2012 09:16 PM

I thought the Hayabusa was the fastest? I used to see a pack of Busas flying on K-10 from time to time. Those dudes were all suicidal.

Radar Chief 07-11-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8733741)
I thought the Hayabusa was the fastest? I used to see a pack of Busas flying on K-10 from time to time. Those dudes were all suicidal.

IIRC the "fastest" is still the '99 Hayabusa at 196 MPH but after that they started limiting them to around 187 MPH, which is still plenty fast.
So now, particullarly over here, the game is how quick they are and it goes back and forth between the Suzukis and Kawasakis.

Pants 07-11-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 8733758)
IIRC the "fastest" is still the '99 Hayabusa at 196 MPH but after that they started limiting them to around 187 MPH, which is still plenty fast.
So now, particullarly over here, the game is how quick they are and it goes back and forth between the Suzukis and Kawasakis.

Ahh, gotcha. Thanks.

BIG_DADDY 07-11-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8733741)

Funny thing is a large percentage of people that buy these bikes new are scared to death of them after a couple rides and fail to break them in right. You can usually tell those guys by their posting. " Got this bike new 4 years ago and just have too many other bikes. Riding a Harley now. Only 1,900 miles."

BIG_DADDY 07-11-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 8733758)

As I recall the first US bike to be limited on top speed was the ZX12R which broke the 200MPH barrier. That problem is easily fixed but to be honest with my little man I don't think I want to do that.

BIG_DADDY 07-18-2012 10:06 PM

Think I settled on picking up an R1 Raven. Hope I fit on it.

BIG_DADDY 07-18-2012 10:41 PM

Cool video from the inside.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ylDA3UV2eXc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jd1020 07-18-2012 10:50 PM

Trying to sell my bike right now. Looking for something more comfortable for longer distance. I've been offered around 2,500-2,700 trade in. Asking 3,500. All I've been getting is a bunch of idiots asking if I'll come down to 2,400-2,800. I've had 3 people make "arrangements" to come by and see it to buy but they've never showed. There are reasons why people say "don't waste my time." I don't even respond to people asking if you'll reduce your price by 33%. You can hardly get anything that isn't a stunt bike for under 3k, no matter the year.

EDIT: It's a 2002 with 26k on it and I've had people try to beat me down because it has "high miles." I mean... really? 2.6k miles a year is high? **** me.

BIG_DADDY 07-18-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8752274)
Trying to sell my bike right now. Looking for something more comfortable for longer distance. I've been offered around 2,500-2,700 trade in. Asking 3,500. All I've been getting is a bunch of idiots asking if I'll come down to 2,400-2,800. I've had 3 people make "arrangements" to come by and see it to buy but they've never showed. There are reasons why people say "don't waste my time." I don't even respond to people asking if you'll reduce your price by 33%. You can hardly get anything that isn't a stunt bike for under 3k, no matter the year.

EDIT: It's a 2002 with 26k on it and I've had people try to beat me down because it has "high miles." I mean... really? 2.6k miles a year is high? **** me.

What do you have?

jd1020 07-18-2012 11:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 8752295)
What do you have?

2002 F4i. Little bit of scrapes on the right side from a spill. Which is why I'm asking $400 under average NADA value and I've offered people to come down a couple more hundred, but ya.

I've pretty much convinced myself of riding it out for the season. I just renewed the tags because I'm tired of dealing with stupid people.

BIG_DADDY 07-18-2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8752312)
2002 F4i. Little bit of scrapes on the right side from a spill. Which is why I'm asking $300 under average NADA value and I've offered people to come down a couple more hundred, but ya.

I've pretty much convinced myself of riding it out for the season. I just renewed the tags because I'm tired of dealing with stupid people.

Bikes are like boats, you gotta love them because you are going to lose your ass. The bike I am looking at went for 11.4 and has tons of after market goodies and 14k on the OD and I think I can pick it up for around 5.5. When I am done I will get 2 and have put another 3 in it. It's the nature of the beast.

Graystoke 07-19-2012 07:16 AM

I looked at a Triumph Tiger 955I last night. It was no problem to test ride it. But then again I showed up to look at it with my motorcycle, and I left him my keys, wallet and only took it out 10-15 minutes.

Radar Chief 07-19-2012 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 8752140)

Nice bike, but yea, you may have troubles fitting it. Try it but modern 1000cc sport bikes are the homologation class for Superbikes so they're about the same size, some even smaller, as the 600cc bikes.

Ace Gunner 07-19-2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8752274)

$3,500 is a bit high imo. Take a look at these ads;

http://motorcycles.yakaz.com/f4i-for-sale

600cc is popular size, but resale is usually tough on the owner because those smaller, more popular bikes don't hold value the way 1000cc etc bikes do.

When I sell my bikes, I never let anyone ride first. I take them on the back and show the bike will maintain tracking without hands on the bar, give them a sample of power twist and then the show is over. Buy or bye.

Dayze 07-19-2012 07:46 AM

are you looking for a full-on hypersport BD?

jd1020 07-19-2012 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefsfootballfan (Post 8752582)
$3,500 is a bit high imo. Take a look at these ads;

http://motorcycles.yakaz.com/f4i-for-sale

What am I looking at? Bunch of people asking more than me with a couple stunt bikes for lower here and there.

I've been watching ebay auctions and they've been selling anywhere from $3100 to $4000.

Ace Gunner 07-19-2012 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 8752140)

Had the FZR 1000, it's a smooth bike, but is all about the road race, not so much a sport/tour bike. The R1 is pretty much the same bike.

Ace Gunner 07-19-2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8752598)
What am I looking at? Bunch of people asking more than me with a couple stunt bikes for lower and 1 frankenstein bike.

There's only 1 bike in there thats a better deal and its from a guy just looking for someone to pay off his loan.

The first ad features a '06 clean with 4,700 miles at $5k. That is a better deal than yours. I've been around this a long time, I still have a first year GSXR air cooled. What you are selling is damaged goods in the view of this market.

jd1020 07-19-2012 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefsfootballfan (Post 8752613)
The first ad features a '06 clean with 4,700 miles at $5k. That is a better deal than yours. I've been around this a long time, I still have a first year GSXR air cooled. What you are selling is damaged goods in the view of this market.

You are going to set market value on 1 bike? Really?

Flip through those ads and count how many bikes you can find that are actually F4i's, not stunt bikes, and clean titles for less than what I'm asking.

Ace Gunner 07-19-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8752630)
You are going to set market value on 1 bike? Really?

Flip through those ads and count how many bikes you can find that are actually F4i's, not stunt bikes, and clean titles for less than what I'm asking.

Well, again, I'm speaking from experience. Just offering some help. You are selling a ten year old intermediate level japanese road racer with road rash and near 30k miles. There are hundreds of F4i for sale across the US that are in prestine shape. That is going to be a tough sale at your asking price. Good luck.

Dayze 07-19-2012 08:16 AM

Hypersports are fun, but there are a few drawbacks and considerations to take into account. I've had 3 in the last 8 yrs; CBR F4i, ZX6r (R.I.P.), and CBR600rr (liked the RR the best). Sold the RR last May.
I'm not sure if this is your first one, or if there are others reading this who are considering a 'first one'….but.

My personal thoughts with them:
--around here in KS, there are virtually no fun roads to blast through. And the ones that are, the Po-Po usually know about.

--Good roads (I'm talking really good) are 3 hours away minimum (unless you blast some alphabets in Clinton, MO or up in Liberty/Excelsior Springs etc)…but they can be iffy with gravel, potholes etc).

--can get really cramped. Actually, they are quite comfortable if you're leaning them over/sliding in the seat side-to-side etc; but that only comes with good curves.

--they make killer power; and if you've never ridden one you 'think' it's powerful in the lower RPM; but they REALLY make power around 9500/10k +RPM. You'll be amazed. So around town etc, if you're really in the meat of the power band, you're probably going to jail if pulled over lol.

--rear tires can wear quickly depending on your throttle hand. I got about 4000-4500 out of mine typically and I was pretty tame a majority of the time. So depending on how much you ride/how you ride, you might be looking at a rear and possible a set each riding season.

-- You'll be a cop magnet. Each summer (according to my BIL who's a trooper), they carve out a few weeks and specifically target 'aggressive driving'. He said they call it that, but in reality they're mainly looking for bikes. Due to high theft rates, you'll probably get stopped, or approached at gas stations (if cops are there getting coffee etc) to check your papers etc. This has happened to me at least 3 times.

--99% of the time, a 600 hyper engine will make more than enough power for you. You'll probably only ride it to 'maybe' 50% of it's potential around town…and that's probably generous. I'm 6' about 245 and my RR rocketed me around more than fine.

--fairings are $$. If it tips in a parking lot, etc, chances are you'll crack the side fairings, and possibly the front depending on how it falls. Get frame and swing arm sliders if you can afford them; the good ones.

--1000cc hypers can get you in trouble really fast if you're not experienced. Yeah, I know there are a lot of guys who have them etc, but if you're riding them how a sportbike is supposed to be ridden (not just pinning the throttle and going in a straight line), the power and torque of the 1000's can break the rear loose when leaned over if you're not careful with the throttle. I've seen dudes that get into a corner, and downshift - they end up in a gear where the RPMs are in the meat of the power curve; exit the curve, and blip - ……back steps out, and they're off. Just 'like' that. The 600s ar a bit more forgiving in that regard - although it's still possible to step out.

Anyway; just a few things to consider from my POV.

My next bike will be more of a 'standard' bike / less aggressive riding position. My short list: Ducati Monster 796/1100, Aprilia Shiver or possibly Tuono, Kawi Z1000 (this is probably the most likely), Triumph Speed Triple. Would love a nice used VFR though.
However………..I really eyeing a DRZ400SM to hooligan around on. Not practical at all, but would be fun as hell.:D

Dayze 07-19-2012 08:17 AM

FYI; I sold my 09 RR last year; 6k miles, perfect condition for 5500.

jd1020 07-19-2012 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 8752648)
My next bike will be more of a 'standard' bike / less aggressive riding position. My short list: Ducati Monster 796/1100, Aprilia Shiver or possibly Tuono, Kawi Z1000 (this is probably the most likely), Triumph Speed Triple. Would love a nice used VFR though.
However………..I really eyeing a DRZ400SM to hooligan around on. Not practical at all, but would be fun as hell.:D

Same way I want to go. Pretty much only looking at the Speed/street triple and the CB1000r.

Dayze 07-19-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8752656)
Same way I want to go. Pretty much only looking at the Speed/street triple and the CB1000r.

I actually hadn't heard about the CB1000r....:eek: that is wicked looking.
:thumb:
When the new Z1000 style came out, I hated it. But it's reallllly grown on me since.
I believe they're geared a bit lower, and have a little more low end torque than the typicall 1000 sport tuned engine.

Sort of the best of both worlds; lots of torque/power, can lay into curves with the best of them; can ride for long distances comfortably etc.

jd1020 07-19-2012 08:23 AM

Only problem with them is that the aftermarket support is shit.

Those types of bikes aren't really popular in the US.

Dayze 07-19-2012 08:25 AM

yep. a guy I know had a hell of a time just finding after market cans for the Z. granted, that was when they first came out, but still.

Ace Gunner 07-19-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Hypersports are fun, but there are a few drawbacks and considerations to take into account. I've had 3 in the last 8 yrs; CBR F4i, ZX6r (R.I.P.), and CBR600rr (liked the RR the best). Sold the RR last May.
I'm not sure if this is your first one, or if there are others reading this who are considering a 'first one'….but.

--around here in KS, there are virtually no fun roads to blast through. And the ones that are, the Po-Po usually know about.

--Good roads (I'm talking really good) are 3 hours away minimum (unless you blast some alphabets in Clinton, MO or up in Liberty/Excelsior Springs etc)…but they can be iffy with gravel, potholes etc).

--can get really cramped. Actually, they are quite comfortable if you're leaning them over/sliding in the seat side-to-side etc; but that only comes with good curves.

--they make killer power; and if you've never ridden one you 'think' it's powerful in the lower RPM; but they REALLY make power around 9500/10k +RPM. You'll be amazed. So around town etc, if you're really in the meat of the power band, you're probably going to jail if pulled over lol.

--rear tires can wear quickly depending on your throttle hand. I got about 4000-4500 out of mine typically and I was pretty tame a majority of the time. So depending on how much you ride/how you ride, you might be looking at a rear and possible a set each riding season.

-- You'll be a cop magnet. Each summer (according to my BIL who's a trooper), they carve out a few weeks and specifically target 'aggressive driving'. He said they call it that, but in reality they're mainly looking for bikes. Due to high theft rates, you'll probably get stopped, or approached at gas stations (if cops are there getting coffee etc) to check your papers etc. This has happened to me at least 3 times.

--99% of the time, a 600 hyper engine will make more than enough power for you. You'll probably only ride it to 'maybe' 50% of it's potential around town…and that's probably generous. I'm 6' about 245 and my RR rocketed me around more than fine.

--fairings are $$. If it tips in a parking lot, etc, chances are you'll crack the side fairings, and possibly the front depending on how it falls. Get frame and swing arm sliders if you can afford them; the good ones.

--1000cc hypers can get you in trouble really fast if you're not experienced. Yeah, I know there are a lot of guys who have them etc, but if you're riding them how a sportbike is supposed to be ridden (not just pinning the throttle and going in a straight line), the power and torque of the 1000's can break the rear loose when leaned over if you're not careful with the throttle. I've seen dudes that get into a corner, and downshift - they end up in a gear where the RPMs are in the meat of the power curve; exit the curve, and blip - ……back steps out, and they're off. Just 'like' that. The 600s ar a bit more forgiving in that regard - although it's still possible to step out.

agreed. a lot of 1k riders do not know wtf they are doing grabbing all that throttle. But it only takes a few milliseconds to learn them:D

I would not own a road racer in this area, KC. There are a few roads south and east, but the police are all over them.

This is V Max country:D
http://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/ga...amaha-vmax.jpg

Dayze 07-19-2012 08:32 AM

how do you like the Vmax?

notorious 07-19-2012 08:39 AM

Quote:

You have probably forgotten more then I will ever know about streetbikes.

Still an interesting read, though.

Ace Gunner 07-19-2012 08:40 AM

I do not own a V Max, but I am looking at perhaps keeping one here in KC and that one is def on my list. I have ridden one, a friend in LA has one. They are a joy to ride, lots of HP, great low end midrange and comfortable to ride in town. And, they do awesome smoke rings:D
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_GV_uwEAKn0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jd1020 07-19-2012 08:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

People buy the wrong tires. I've put maybe around 10k miles on my tires (Pilot Road 2CT) so far and the back has just barely started to flatten. The back probably has a good season or 2 left.

Just riding on the street? Save yourself some money and get a Pilot Road instead of the Pilot Power.

Dayze 07-19-2012 09:11 AM

yeah, the MP Roads are good. suitable for probably 100% of the riders in the city etc and wear great.
the ones that were cooked the quickest for me were the OEMs. I think they were all Bridgestones.

Radar Chief 07-19-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 8752738)
yeah, the MP Roads are good. suitable for probably 100% of the riders in the city etc and wear great.
the ones that were cooked the quickest for me were the OEMs. I think they were all Bridgestones.

I’ve had my best luck with Dunlops, good compromise between wear and sticky. Pirellis are good and sticky but wear fast, Metzlers are sticky and tend to wear better but still aren’t as good as Dunlops, and the Bridgestones I tried were so greasy I burned them off faster than even the Pirellis.

Dayze 07-19-2012 10:49 AM

Agree 100% on that. ^^.
Had Bridges on my RR at first; it moved around a bit. not enough to freak me out, but I could feel it. They were also the ones where I only got about 4500mi out of them before hitting the wear indicators (OEM tires) Next set were Dunlops, and I really liked them.
never got to try the Metzlers though.

lcarus 07-19-2012 11:05 AM

I've always wanted to learn to ride a motorcycle. One of these days Alice...

Ace Gunner 07-19-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 8752971)
Agree 100% on that. ^^.
Had Bridges on my RR at first; it moved around a bit. not enough to freak me out, but I could feel it. They were also the ones where I only got about 4500mi out of them before hitting the wear indicators (OEM tires) Next set were Dunlops, and I really liked them.
never got to try the Metzlers though.

I often use the Metzeler Lasertec up front & the Dunlop in back.

Lzen 07-19-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 8752245)
Cool video from the inside.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ylDA3UV2eXc" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

I wouldn't call that "cool". I would call that idiotic. He not only put his own life in danger, he put everyone else's on that highway.

Lzen 07-19-2012 11:56 AM

As for the thread starter, I bought my first bike in 09 and I looked at mostly personal listings. I don't recall seeing as much of those don't waste my time ads as I see these days. Of course, I didn't test ride any bikes at that time because I didn't have the experience nor a license at that point. I bought my first bike without ever having ridden. But I did check it out real well and I got a lot of advice on that particular model. I was going for a cruiser and a lot of people recommended a Honda Shadow 750 or a Yamaha VStar 650(?). I ended up with the Shadow.

Recently, I upgraded to a Harley. I test rode bikes at 2 dealerships and I'm pretty sure I could have test rode at the other 2 places, as well, if I chose to do that. The first place, Gail's Harley Davidson in Grandview made me fill out a form that basically said if I wrecked it, I buy it. The paperwork made it sound like they would require that I followed/rode with someone from their dealership. But when I got out there and asked about that, the salesman said they weren't planning to ride with me unless I wanted them to. Of course I declined and test rode a couple bikes by myself.

The other place, Topeka Harley let me ride without anything other than a copy of my license. Of course, they did know that I had a bike and was looking to sell it or trade it in to them.

I do wonder, however if its up to their discretion as to whether they allow you to test ride solo or whatever.

Dayze 07-19-2012 12:21 PM

yeah; I've test rode at 2 dealerships; though, each time I rode up on my bike. so, that might have something to do with it. neither time did I have to sign any sort of 'break you buy' etc. so, that was nice. One of the test rides was with a Ducati Monster 1100. ......man, I LOVE that bike. so much fun.

jd1020 07-19-2012 12:24 PM

I'd probably walk out the door if I was asked to sign some paper stating if I wrecked the bike I would be buying it.

I wouldn't want some old grandma that can barely see over the steering wheel pulling out in front of me causing me to dump the bike and lose 10-15k at the same time.

Dayze 07-19-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8753223)
I'd probably walk out the door if I was asked to sign some paper stating if I wrecked the bike I would be buying it.

I wouldn't want some old grandma that can barely see over the steering wheel pulling out in front of me causing me to dump the bike and lose 10-15k at the same time.

yup.
I think both places just verified that I Had a motorcycle endorsement on my license and haad a sales guy go out with me. the dude at the Ducati dealership was breaking all sort of laws lol. Fun guy.

qabbaan 07-19-2012 12:36 PM

Higher end dealerships will give you a test ride. I have test ridden BMW, triumphs, and ducatis. With the Japanese makes I don't think it's very common. (those japanese I4s are so close to one another, I don't think it's really even necessary)

qabbaan 07-19-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8753223)

You're going to owe them if you wreck it, whether you sign a paper or not...

jd1020 07-19-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qabbaan (Post 8753256)
You're going to owe them if you wreck it, whether you sign a paper or not...

If by "you" you mean grandma and grandma's insurance, ya.

Dayze 07-19-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qabbaan (Post 8753254)
Higher end dealerships will give you a test ride. I have test ridden BMW, triumphs, and ducatis. With the Japanese makes I don't think it's very common. (those japanese I4s are so close to one another, I don't think it's really even necessary)

yep; really just a matter of ergonomics that fits a person; styling etc.
they're all within a few lbs of each other, a HP or 2, and a LB or 2 of torque.

Dayze 07-19-2012 01:25 PM

Screw it, it's my B-day and I’m in a good mood :)
can't find a pic of my F4i
R.I.P ZX6R
http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/a...yze-KC/ZX6.jpg
600rr (sold)
http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/a...e-KC/CBR-1.jpg
Track Day
http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/a...yze-KC/Mug.jpg
Session (on the left). In the Red is a smokin chick who was like a nationally ranked rider.
http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/a...C/TrackDay.jpg

BIG_DADDY 07-19-2012 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8752312)
2002 F4i. Little bit of scrapes on the right side from a spill. Which is why I'm asking $400 under average NADA value and I've offered people to come down a couple more hundred, but ya.

First of all those that NADA stuff is crap and secondly it's damaged. The value is what anyone else can go out and the same product for at it's cheapest price within 200 miles of you. Not picking on you but Frankly I think most people way over value their bikes, that's why they get all pissed when someone offers them so much less.

I got two bikes in my sights and both are 2006. One is an r-1 raven with lots of after market goodies with 13k miles on it and it looks brand new. The guy really needs to sell it and is in the middle of nowhere so it takes a could hours to get to him. If I get this it will be somewhere between $5,500 and 6k. YOUr NADA value on that bad boy has to be at least $7,500. The other bike is a 2006 ZX-14 with 10k on it. The add ons on this are:

Power Commander III With Brocks Performance Map Upgrade- $350
Brocks Performance Titanium CT Megaphone Full System- $1895

o Full Titanium construction with Carbon Fiber tip
o World class craftsmanship, fit, and finish
o Lightweight systems weigh as little as 8 1/4 lbs.
o Great for everyday riding (noise reduction insert available)
o 18mm O2 bung pre-installed
o The BEST exhaust that can be purchased for the ZX14
o Check it out!!

Puig Racing Double Bubble Shield- $70.00
Full Carbon Fiber head fairing and front fairings $600
Rare special edition fairings and tank colors. $2000
Extra like-new seat so you don't have to keep taking off the seat cowl every time you have a passenger- $200
Also have a like new $249 Geza Gear Elite-Plus Series Motorcycle Cover w/mirror covers and storage pouch Check it out!!
Racing Levers-$200
SpeedoHealer already set up and calibrated $80; the sped you see is the actual speed, this is nice since most bikes are 5mph off or greater
K&N Air Filter- $30
Fender Eliminator kit $20
Newer DID Gold Chain $80
Brand new Racing Battery purchased in June, 2012- $80

I am looking at 5k.Your NADA average value is $7,515 with no extras.

BIG_DADDY 07-19-2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 8753065)
I wouldn't call that "cool". I would call that idiotic. He not only put his own life in danger, he put everyone else's on that highway.

I thought the video was insanely cool, not what he did.

BIG_DADDY 07-19-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 8753212)
yeah; I've test rode at 2 dealerships; though, each time I rode up on my bike. so, that might have something to do with it. neither time did I have to sign any sort of 'break you buy' etc. so, that was nice. One of the test rides was with a Ducati Monster 1100. ......man, I LOVE that bike. so much fun.

how tall r u?

jd1020 07-19-2012 07:48 PM

NADA Value on a 2006 R1 average is $6,600 with a low retail of $5,000. You don't get shit for aftermarket parts when you sell them with the bike which is why most people part them out and put the factory stuff back on.

NADA Value on my bike is $3900 average with a low of $2900. Now take into account that you can hardly find a F4i cheaper than what I'm asking and tell me I'm asking too much.

Dayze 07-19-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 8754179)
how tall r u?

6'

BIG_DADDY 07-19-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 8754191)
6'

I had some interest in a monster but thought I wouldn't fit on that either. Have you been on one?