ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Crave Salt? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=206968)

Mr. Krab 04-29-2009 11:03 AM

Crave Salt?

I'm trying to cut down on salt for health reasons. I just wonder why i crave salt so much. I understand craving sugar because it spikes your blood sugar and afterwards your body reacts to the drop. But why salt?

T-post Tom 04-29-2009 11:04 AM

Because you're a c(k)rab?

Stewie 04-29-2009 11:06 AM

I've cut way back on salt, too, but don't really miss it. I used to be a saltaholic, but not eating that vs. taking blood pressure medication is a completely fair trade. I've never been a sweet tooth, but put chips in front of me and the whole bag would have been history.

I'm doing the DASH diet and my BP is darn near normal. Quite impressive.

T-post Tom 04-29-2009 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 5725542)
I've cut way back on salt, too, but don't really miss it. I used to be a saltaholic, but not eating that vs. taking blood pressure medication is a completely fair trade. I've never been a sweet tooth, but put chips in front of me and the whole bag would have been history.

Hang around here long enough and your BP will be in the stratosphere. :D

vailpass 04-29-2009 11:08 AM

No but I worked with a woman a long time ago who was pregnant and wanted to eat dirt all the time.

Donger 04-29-2009 11:09 AM

I hate salt. Growing up in England, all the food is heavily salted (I presume to cover up the nasty taste). Now, I can't stand it. I shake my head every time my folks still pour tons of salt on their food. Old habits, I guess, but do you really need to pour salt on the fucking sirloin I just grilled, Pop?

Otter 04-29-2009 11:10 AM

Unrefined sea salt has lots of flavor and doesn't affect blood pressure. Something to look into as alternative.

Mr. Krab 04-29-2009 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 5725542)

I'm a saltaholic too. :sulk:

My blood pressure got so high the other day i though my brain might explode.

Mr. Krab 04-29-2009 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 5725565)
Unrefined sea salt has lots of flavor and doesn't affect blood pressure. Something to look into as alternative.

:hmmm: I'll look into that, thanks.

vailpass 04-29-2009 11:12 AM

It occurs to me that Wu Long tea results in fast weight loss.

T-post Tom 04-29-2009 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 5725553)
No but I worked with a woman a long time ago who was pregnant and wanted to eat dirt all the time.

Sounds like a character from a Spiderman movie.

Stewie 04-29-2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 5725565)

Yes it does. Sea salt is less dense than table salt so it takes more of it, but it still has sodium which is the element to avoid.

vailpass 04-29-2009 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-post Tom (Post 5725576)
Sounds like a character from a Spiderman movie.

Yeah. Turns out there is a name for the condition, it happens to some pregnant women who are deficient in iron and/or some other nutrient that might be n dirt.
The body is an amazing thing. The things a woman's body does while pregnant are so incredible they make you wonder if it all could have happened just by coincidence.

Otter 04-29-2009 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 5725579)
Yes it does. Sea salt is less dense than table salt so it takes more of it, but it still has sodium which is the element to avoid.

Actually you appear to be correct:

I get this advice from someone who is a nutritionist for a living. Wait till I see him next time. I'll just STFU

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sea-salt/AN01142

Is sea salt better for you than table salt?

Answer

from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

Sea salt and table salt have the same nutritional value. The real differences between sea salt and table salt are in their taste and texture.

Sea salt is harvested from seawater through evaporation. Table salt is typically from rock salt, which is mined from mineral deposits. Both types of salt can be fully refined, and the end result is pure sodium chloride. Variations in the refining process result in different forms of salt.

Table salt is a fine-grained salt that often contains added iodine (iodized salt). Iodine is necessary for normal thyroid function. Some table salt may also contain anti-caking ingredient.

Sea salt is available in fine or coarse grain. Sea salt has a slightly different taste than table salt because of different minerals it contains. Many people prefer sea salt to table salt because they claim it has a more subtle flavor. Sea salt doesn't contain iodine or any other additives. However, if you use sea salt you typically don't have to worry about not getting enough iodine in your diet because iodine is available in many other foods, including dairy products, seafood and many processed foods.

If you favor foods with fewer additives, you may prefer sea salt. But there's no evidence that the additives in table salt are harmful to your health. Although your body needs some sodium to function properly, most people eat too much, which can lead to high blood pressure. Whether you use sea salt, table salt or some other type of salt, most experts recommend between 1,500 and 2,300 milligrams of sodium a day for healthy adults.

LaChapelle 04-29-2009 11:21 AM

You could be craving potassium. Bananas are a good source. Which leads to the joke that's lingering to be said.