ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   2013 QB Prospects (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=259106)

Direckshun 05-01-2012 11:00 AM

2013 QB Prospects

Below are no fewer than SIX quarterbacks to which I've given either "1st round" or "borderline 1st" grades.

Tyler Wilson, Arkansas

Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech

Matt Barkley, USC

Tyler Bray, Tennessee (relatively unlikely he declares)

Aaron Murray, Georgia (relatively unlikely he declares)

Landry Jones, Oklahoma

Now it should be noted: with the rookie wage scale, it's preferable for QB prospects to just get into the pros whenever they can, rather than biding their time and trying to compete for a Top 5 selection. The Top 5 used to mean you were in a top 10% earner in the NFL. Now it doesn't mean much over somebody like Tannehill's #8 spot, financially.

QB hungry teams in 2013 are bolded.

Patriots -- Brady/Mallett
Bills -- Fitzpatrick
Jets -- Sanchez/Tebow
Dolphins -- Tannehill

Browns -- Weeden
Steelers -- Rothlisberger
Ravens -- Flacco
Bengals -- Dalton

Colts -- Luck
Texans -- Schaub
Jaguars -- Gabbert/Henne
Titans -- Hasselbeck/Locker

Chiefs -- Cassel
Chargers -- Rivers
Broncos -- Manning/Osweiler
Raiders -- Palmer

Cowboys -- Romo
Giants -- Manning
Redskins -- Griffin
Eagles -- Vick

Packers -- Rodgers
Vikings -- Ponder
Lions -- Stafford
Bears -- Cutler

Panthers -- Newton
Falcons -- Ryan
Buccaneers -- Freeman
Saints -- Brees

Cardinals -- Kolb
Rams -- Bradford
49ers -- Smith/Kaepernick
Seahawks -- Flynn/Wilson

6 teams that will need a QB. Maybe eight if you buy the idea that the Cowboys or Eagles could be shopping for a new one.

So assuming at least half of those QBs declare, which is a relatively conservative bet, my prediction is that the Chiefs will be drafting a new quarterback in 2013. Even if it means having to trade up for one.

The Franchise 05-01-2012 11:14 AM

Cardinals - Need a QB
Bucs - Could need one if Freeman fails
Cowboys - I see Jones giving Romo one more year.
Chiefs - Obvious reasons
Jags - If Gabbert looks as bad as last year....they'll need one.
Texans - Isn't Schaub in the last year of his contract?
Ravens - If Flacco still hasn't signed.
Jets - For obvious reason.
Bills - For obvious reasons.

DJ's left nut 05-01-2012 11:14 AM

Don't sleep on Geno Smith.

There's always someone that comes out of nowhere - this year was Tannehill. At 6'3'', 214 with plus athleticism (not RGIII, but probably right around Tannehill) and good arm strenght (North of Cousins, south of Foles; probably around an 85 on a 100 pt scale; Tannehill is probably a good comparison again), he could easily move up draft boards.

And unlike Tannehill, he has some legitimately excellent production as a Jr. We'll see if he thrives during the transition to the Big 12.

The Franchise 05-01-2012 11:16 AM

http://espn.go.com/photo/2011/0216/i...ice_sy_600.jpg

Maybe?

2011 Season 242 for 362, 3063 yards, 33 TDs, 11 INTs

DJ's left nut 05-01-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8585281)
Cardinals - Need a QB
Chiefs - Obvious reasons

Now see how many of them are likely to pick ahead of us.

Unlikely:
Cowboys, Jets, Texans, Ravens

Possible:
Bills, Bucs

Goddamn well better:
Jags

The problem is the inevitable trade-up scenario. Will Pioli have the stones to actually move up to ensure we stay ahead of those guys? He's out of excuses not to at this point.

RealSNR 05-01-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8585282)
Don't sleep on Geno Smith.

There's always someone that comes out of nowhere - this year was Tannehill. At 6'3'', 214 with plus athleticism (not RGIII, but probably right around Tannehill) and good arm strenght (North of Cousins, south of Foles; probably around an 85 on a 100 pt scale; Tannehill is probably a good comparison again), he could easily move up draft boards.

And unlike Tannehill, he has some legitimately excellent production as a Jr. We'll see if he thrives during the transition to the Big 12.

This.

Smith's production was actually very similar to RGIII's penultimate year. With increased competition, another year to improve on his 4300 yards 31 TDs and 7 INTs (those are SCARY good numbers, like, mid-air scary), I see Smith being a lot like RGIII. Talked about as a 1st round pick finally by midseason, PROJECTED as a first round pick at the end of the college season, and by the end of January, assumed to be a top 5 pick in the entire draft.

DJ's left nut 05-01-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8585333)
This.

Smith's production was actually very similar to RGIII's penultimate year. With increased competition, another year to improve on his 4300 yards 31 TDs and 7 INTs (those are SCARY good numbers, like, mid-air scary), I see Smith being a lot like RGIII. Talked about as a 1st round pick finally by midseason, PROJECTED as a first round pick at the end of the college season, and by the end of January, assumed to be a top 5 pick in the entire draft.

That's kinda my thought as well.

I'm hoping I can get my 'driver' of the bandwagon role now, but ultimately I think he'll probably end up out of our range again. We'll probably end up in the mid-teens and there's probably going to be a lot of movement to try to get up to the top 5 to grab him.

I don't see him having the top-end athleticism that RGIII had (no 4.4 forty times to wow the masses), so I'm not certain he'll rocket up like RGIII did, but with Tannehill's measurables and RGIIIs production, he should be one of the more coveted QBs in the draft. And while he'll spend his last 2 seasons in the spread, he performed admirably his first 2 in a conventional offense.

Kid's the real deal, IMO.

Dante84 05-01-2012 12:16 PM

Still have hope for Stanzi.

I want to see Cassel go down week 1.

If for no other reason than WE HAVE NO CLUE WHAT HE IS CAPABLE OF.

If Stanzi doesn't have a couple games to flash, I will be pissed. If they won't give him a chance, who's to say they even draft a QB?

philfree 05-01-2012 12:22 PM

I'm not sure getting ones hopes up for any of these guys is a healthy thing. At least not starting May 1st 2012. This could become a psychosis if it hasn't manifested itself already.

DJ's left nut 05-01-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 8585431)
I'm not sure getting ones hopes up for any of these guys is a healthy thing. At least not starting May 1st 2012. This could become a psychosis if it hasn't manifested itself already.

I've already tattood his name on my eyelids.

Was that a poor decision?

suds79 05-01-2012 02:19 PM

Going to be some fun QB watching in college football next year.

Remember the 1st time I saw Tyler Bray last year for the first time. Was impressed as I never knew of him.

Just saw some youtube videos of him. Seem like he has this side armish/3 qtrs delivery? Just an observation.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xAETuQL6SX0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

suds79 05-01-2012 02:25 PM

Think this is a pretty interesting read also.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...rback-prospect

DJ's left nut 05-01-2012 02:40 PM

Nice little breakdown of prospects.

It never ceases to crack my up, however, when folks that compare players absolutely refuse to cross the race lines when they do it.

Black QB that isn't exactly a burner? Must be Josh Freeman; nah, can't be Joe Flacco - you're Josh Freeman. White guy that likes to run but can't throw for shit? Nah, you can't be Brad Smith, you have to be a less athletic Matt Jones. Besides, we need Brad Smith freed up for the other black quarterback we're talking about with Denard Robinson - let's make sure not to compare him to Eric Crouch or anything. Oh wait, lets not forget Tajh Boyd - gotta get that McNabb comparison in there somehow...

It's probably harmless in the long run, but it's still kinda funny to see it. It applies to all sports at all levels. Skill-set comparisons are never race neutral.

RealSNR 05-01-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8585814)
Nice little breakdown of prospects.

It never ceases to crack my up, however, when folks that compare players absolutely refuse to cross the race lines when they do it.

Black QB that isn't exactly a burner? Must be Josh Freeman; nah, can't be Joe Flacco - you're Josh Freeman. White guy that likes to run but can't throw for shit? Nah, you can't be Brad Smith, you have to be a less athletic Matt Jones. Besides, we need Brad Smith freed up for the other black quarterback we're talking about with Denard Robinson - let's make sure not to compare him to Eric Crouch or anything. Oh wait, lets not forget Tajh Boyd - gotta get that McNabb comparison in there somehow...

It's probably harmless in the long run, but it's still kinda funny to see it. It applies to all sports at all levels. Skill-set comparisons are never race neutral.

Nah dude they're all Randall Cunninghams.

kcbubb 05-01-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8585281)
Cardinals - Need a QB
Chiefs - Obvious reasons

There is a good chance that most if not all of these teams don't draft a QB round 1 in 2013.

Bucs - Freeman reverts back to 2010 form.
Cowboys - Romo can play
Jags - Decide to give Gabbert one more year. I don't see them giving up on him after a season and a half if he shows some progress.
Texans - Schaub can play.
Ravens - Flacco is decent.
Jets - Sanchez improves.
Bills - Fitz improves with better defense.