ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Thomas Jones to donate brain for study after death (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268964)

Brock 01-16-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9325081)
I spent 6 months working with my uncle for a pro team, I've never claimed to be some super scout. I was a piss on intern pretty much. I did it to pass time and try something that I thought I would love, I hated it so much that I decided to go defend your country for 4 years instead. Is that ok with you? You ****ing dumb dick clown douche excuse for a human. Go piss on your balls loser.

Thanks for your service. You're still dumb.

Marcellus 01-16-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9324810)

How many of the 1,700 NFL players earn a million dollars per season?

I know most of them don't but you can bet your ass every single one of them is trying to get that multi million $ payday.

How many of them do you think aren't aware of the risks?

Lets go one step farther, how many don't know the risks and would walk away once they know the risk?I believe that number to be 0.

HemiEd 01-16-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

"Somebody might tell me their name; I don't remember it right away," Ogunleye said.
This is normal as you have to train yourself to pick up on names when introduced.

Most people aren't paying attention or are distracted about the ensuing conversation and thinking about what they want to contribute.

New World Order 01-16-2013 02:47 PM

KC Sporting is right.

While everyone else must go to school, work hard and then work 9-5 for the rest of their lives these guys can play in the NFL and retire before 30. Then they talk about head injuries and want everyone to feel sorry for them. It will be much worse in 10 years, players will CHOOSE on their own to play and then complain about the lack of treatment they received from the NFL. For future considerations if they are concerned then do something else.

Deberg_1990 01-16-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElGringo (Post 9325064)
One thing that I have heard elsewhere before was the idea of going back to the old time leather helmets and minimal pads. Right now the NFL players use their bodies as weapons because they are wearing suits of armor. Back when they had minimal padding, they had to learn the real fundamentals of the game and how to attack in control so no one got hurt. While I don't think this is THE ANSWER, I do believe there is some merit to this line of thought.

They already do that, its called Rugby and nobody cares.

nychief 01-16-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9325081)
I spent 6 months working with my uncle for a pro team, I've never claimed to be some super scout. I was a piss on intern pretty much. I did it to pass time and try something that I thought I would love, I hated it so much that I decided to go defend your country for 4 years instead. Is that ok with you? You ****ing dumb dick clown douche excuse for a human. Go piss on your balls loser.

Typical whiny soldier...

Rausch 01-16-2013 02:51 PM

Oddly enough donating your brain to science has just become selfish.

Somehow...

HolyHat 01-16-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nychief (Post 9325264)
Typical whiny soldier...

And I'm the dick? ROFL

You couldnt spend 2 weeks in the military you pussy. Stick to being a message board tough guy with your name calling. We will handle the tough shit.

Hog's Gone Fishin 01-16-2013 03:16 PM

It's a copycat league.

warpaint* 01-16-2013 03:18 PM

Why is it that these athletes only say there is more to life than $ after they make it?

The hypocrisy is obnoxious.

They are highly paid to play a game that comes w/ OBVIOUS inherent risk to physical health. Huge athletic freaks of nature running around at high speed colliding with each other over and over the course of years. The same group of guys that claim their coaches and/or doctors and/or league lied to them were lying to said coaches/doctors about how hurt they were in order to stay on the field and KEEP the jobs they are crying crocodile tears over in an effort to shockingly make some more $.

Hog's Gone Fishin 01-16-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 9325235)
KC Sporting is right.

While everyone else must go to school, work hard and then work 9-5 for the rest of their lives these guys can play in the NFL and retire before 30. Then they talk about head injuries and want everyone to feel sorry for them. It will be much worse in 10 years, players will CHOOSE on their own to play and then complain about the lack of treatment they received from the NFL. For future considerations if they are concerned then do something else.

Good point. I think I'll donate my right hand and forearm to science. I can already tell it's going bad.

WhiteWhale 01-16-2013 03:21 PM

There are all types of professions where you risk life and limb for less money and less glory than NFL players.

Also, anyone who thought smashing your head into other people's head while running full speed would not negatively impact your brain... well, it obviously wasn't something you were using in the first place.

Moreover, all of these men had a chance at a free post secondary education. How many of you had that opportunity?

Finally, they can retired and enter the workforce at any time. They are in no way obligated to play until their body breaks down and they have to quit.

I'm sorry, but these NFL players pretty much blame everyone except the primary person responsible.

nychief 01-16-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9325367)
And I'm the dick? ROFL

You couldnt spend 2 weeks in the military you pussy. Stick to being a message board tough guy with your name calling. We will handle the tough shit.

you made your money, stop complaining.

warpaint* 01-16-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9324064)
I love how all these Athletes try and make us feel sorry for them. You signed the million dollar contract to get hit in the head thousands of times, nobody forced you to do it. You could have gone a different route with your free college degree. Shut the **** up and cash your check while the rest of us work 9-5. I don't care about your head problems, not even a little bit.

Meh, I do feel sympathy for anyone suffering physically or dying or whatever even when it's self inflicted but I agree w/ everything else you said here.

warpaint* 01-16-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 9324213)
I'll spend a few minutes on this, though God knows why because I damn well know it's a waste of time:

1. until the last few years, nobody really understood just how damaging multiple concussions could be to the quality of life of football players post-career. So yes, they understood the risk of injury, but did they understand that multiple concussions might leave them seriously mentally impaired on a daily basis by the time they were 50? Hell no.

2. You say they are whining and want sympathy. I didn't see any whining there. I saw a bunch of statements of obvious facts, and CONCERN that he MIGHT be in trouble in the future. Like any normal human would be concerned.

3. It seems to me that donating one's brain to scientific study, and discussing this issue, can only help future players and the NFL try to figure out how to play the game in a way that we recognize as football, while trying to avoid having a psychiatric ward full of mentally impaired former NFL players.

What, exactly, did Jones do that was wrong here? Answer: nothing.

But by all means go back to your knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing "he knew da risks, **** 'im" point of view. I'm sure that will be very beneficial to former, current and future NFL players.

I think it is all about educating kids from when they are very young as to how to safely tackle and changing the culture of the sport w/ respect to trying to hurt other players in an effort to win or be macho or whatever. It's not going to fix everything but I think it could go a way in helping.