ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals Kansas City Royals @ Chicago White Sox Opening Day Game Thread (4/1) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271639)

Archie F. Swin 04-01-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9545611)
... then the White Sox would probably win as our most hated team in the division.

I agree, but I was kind of hoping that Indians pitchers would continue aiming at Billay's ear hole. Stuff like that makes these young players scrappy and tough.

alnorth 04-01-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9545642)
White Sox fans arent fellons lol. Not even close. Hell they dont even have that good of fan atttendance lol and theyre always at least decent team

spoken like someone with a shady past...

Its the south side of Chicago. If not felonies, then at least a third of the fanbase must have serious misdemeanors.

Al Bundy 04-01-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9545643)
AJ is the shit. Guy is great, great catcher and leader

Douchezenski can **** himself right in the ass with a barbwire wrapped baseball bat. All splintery and rusty.

Chiefspants 04-01-2013 10:39 AM

What does everyone think about potentially trading Santana at the deadline if he's pitching well? Duffy and Paulino will be set to return at that time and it's possible we'll still have holes in 2B and RF.

Nightfyre 04-01-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 9545780)
What does everyone think about potentially trading Santana at the deadline if he's pitching well? Duffy and Paulino will be set to return at that time and it's possible we'll still have holes in 2B and RF.

It's nice to have the option, if nothing else.

sedated 04-01-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Its pretty doubtful that either will be back to 100% this year. If making (and hopefully winning in) the playoffs this year is the goal, then we shouldn’t be jettisoning a good starting pitcher.

alnorth 04-01-2013 10:47 AM

Went ahead and updated the lineups to what will more than likely happen.

HemiEd 04-01-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9545611)
I'm on board. The Royals don't really have an obvious rival, but I think if you forced every Royals fan who goes to more than a couple games a year to vote in a poll, then the White Sox would probably win as our most hated team in the division.

I have hated them with a passion since Ed Farmer ruined Al Cowen's career by hitting him in the head and broke Frank White's jaw.

Up until that time, they were like the Cleveland Indians, they didn't matter.

gblowfish 04-01-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 9545811)
I have hated them with a passion since Ed Farmer ruined Al Cowen's career by hitting him in the head and broke Frank White's jaw.

Up until that time, they were like the Cleveland Indians, they didn't matter.

Ed Farmer was pitching for the Rangers (I'm pretty sure) at that time. Both Cowens and Frank White got knocked onto the DL being hit by pitches in one game.

Farmer hit Frank White on an inside pitch and broke his hand. Then he hit Cowens and broke his jaw. In the same game.

gblowfish 04-01-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9545642)
White Sox fans arent fellons lol. Not even close. Hell they dont even have that good of fan atttendance lol and theyre always at least decent team

William Ligue begs to differ...
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documen...-comiskey-park

BWillie 04-01-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teedubya (Post 9544898)
Chatted with Ryan Lefebvre at a party yesterday afternoon... and he's pretty optimistic. The pitching staff is pretty solid.

We just need to get off to a good start.

You mean he's the same in real life? I would be the eternal pessimist outside of work if I had to be that big of a homer on the air.

BWillie 04-01-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9544893)
Predictions for the season, fellas?

79 wins

Old Dog 04-01-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

I'm hoping that we're buyers (renters) rather than sellers at the deadline for a change.

duncan_idaho 04-01-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

That's one option...

There will also be the option of trading a young, surplus minor-league guy (Orlando Calixte?) at the deadline as part of a package for a difference maker.

gblowfish 04-01-2013 11:15 AM

This was on Ed Farmer's Wiki Page. (and like I thought, in 1979, Farmer was pitching for the Texas Rangers. He hopped around to a bunch of teams in his career):

A notable feud started between Al Cowens and Farmer early in the 1979 season. On May 8 while playing the Kansas City Royals, a Farmer pitch thrown in the top of the 5th inning fractured Cowens' jaw and broke several teeth;[2] Cowens would miss 21 games. Farmer also hit Royal Frank White in the same game and broke his wrist[3] and caused him to miss 33 contests. The next season on June 20‚ 1980 while playing Detroit‚ the now-Tiger Cowens hit an infield grounder against Farmer at Comiskey Park. While Farmer watched his infielder make the play, Cowens ran to mound and tackled the pitcher from behind, instead of running to first base; getting in several punches before the benches cleared and the two were separated.[3] Cowens was suspended for 7 games and a warrant was issued for his arrest in Illinois‚ forcing him to skip the remainder of the series. Later Farmer agreed to drop the charges in exchange for a handshake‚ and the 2 players brought out the lineup cards before the game on September 1. However, future appearances for Cowens in Chicago were greeted with a "Coward Cowens" banner.