ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Ever miss your kid/family? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=241137)

BIG_DADDY 02-02-2011 05:00 PM

Ever miss your kid/family?

I have to commute and can be away for up to like 18 days like the stretch I am in now. At about 10 days I start getting real irritable and it gets worse by the day. Today I got approached by one of the other partners who just wants me to leave because I am on right on the edge. Anyone else get like this? I am doing what I can between working myself out to the point where my body just won't go anymore to meditating and yoga. I just can't get past it. I don't know how people in the military deal with that shit. I can't even imagine.

acesn8s 02-02-2011 05:09 PM

Every two weeks, and I pay for that privilege.

ChiTown 02-02-2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 7401208)
I have to commute and can be away for up to like 18 days like the stretch I am in now. At about 10 days I start getting real irritable and it gets worse by the day. Today I got approached by one of the other partners who just wants me to leave because I am on right on the edge. Anyone else get like this? I am doing what I can between working myself out to the point where my body just won't go anymore to meditating and yoga. I just can't get past it. I don't know how people in the military deal with that shit. I can't even imagine.

When I used to travel overseas, I'd be gone for 3 weeks at a time. It sucked. I had little ones (4 and 1 at the time). I couldn't take missing out on all the great stuff they do at those ages. That's when I decided to go into business for myself. I still travel, but only 2-3 days, every other week. I've never looked back.

Old Dog 02-02-2011 05:25 PM

Probably not what you're wanting to hear, but I can't honestly say it ever really got easier. That ended up being the main reason I decided to retire from the military after only 22 years and get a real job. I didn't mind the idea of the seventh deployment, but doing it after only having been home for nine weeks was too much.
Otherwise I would probably still be on active duty.

38yrsfan 02-02-2011 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 7401238)
When I used to travel overseas, I'd be gone for 3 weeks at a time. It sucked. I had little ones (4 and 1 at the time). I couldn't take missing out on all the great stuff they do at those ages. That's when I decided to go into business for myself. I still travel, but only 2-3 days, every other week. I've never looked back.

This, except changed jobs. Made the choice years ago when kids were younger; left the big city moved to a place were we wanted to live then looked for work that doesn't involve being away from home to much. Less pay and responsibility but time with the family. I didn't want to feel I'd missed out on things later in life like so many end up.

trndobrd 02-02-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 7401208)

Skype?

MahiMike 02-02-2011 05:34 PM

Been on the road for 2 1/2 yrs now. Only see my family on weekends. Sucks really bad. We use Skype and play cards together online but it's not the same.

BIG_DADDY 02-02-2011 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 7401238)

Yea well I work for myself now. I get to spend about 1/3 of my time up there maybe a little less. It friggen kills me to be away but our business is really starting to look like it could really do something eventually and I have too much invested at this point to just walk away. Friday morning I fly out and it will all be good. Just spent the last hour on priceline. I will get 4 full days up there.

BIG_DADDY 02-02-2011 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trndobrd (Post 7401298)
Skype?

I need to get the video working.

bevischief 02-02-2011 05:45 PM

Phone cards, care packages, alcohol. Skype sounds like a good idea since it wasn't around the last time I had to leave the country.

MIAdragon 02-02-2011 05:48 PM

Dude I miss my daughter if I'm away from her more than an hour at a time (yea I know I'm a pussy). I cant fathom being away from her that long, feel for ya man.

BIG_DADDY 02-02-2011 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIAdragon (Post 7401372)
Dude I miss my daughter if I'm away from her more than an hour at a time (yea I know I'm a pussy). I cant fathom being away from her that long, feel for ya man.

My son is just as bad. HE gets really angry and edgey when I am away too long. My wife found him in his bedroom in his closet crying yesterday and it really shook her up. When she asked what was wrong he said he just missed his daddy. Even thinking about that wells up my eyes. This is a big trip this time as well as it will probably be the last time I see my dad before the big surgery. He has cancer again and I don't think he has long.

bevischief 02-02-2011 06:09 PM

Do the Skype thing. Sounds like you might have some bad news heading your way. Sorry to hear.

BigMeatballDave 02-02-2011 06:41 PM

Yes. My son lives in Florida. Havent seen him in over a month. We do communicate daily, though.

Missing him would be an understatement.

BigMeatballDave 02-02-2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 7401391)
My son is just as bad. HE gets really angry and edgey when I am away too long. My wife found him in his bedroom in his closet crying yesterday and it really shook her up. When she asked what was wrong he said he just missed his daddy. Even thinking about that wells up my eyes.

This sucks. Know exactly how you feel. :huh: