ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Anyone have an Ipad with retina display? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273867)

Mother****erJones 06-16-2013 08:30 PM

Anyone have an Ipad with retina display?

I have an older macbook and am thinking about selling it for an Ipad. Would appreciate some feedback if anyone has an ipad. Thanks guys

Lex Luthor 06-16-2013 08:52 PM

Best Buy has some good deals on the older iPads. I'd much rather spend $350 or so for an iPad 2 than $699 for an iPad with retina display. Maybe there's enough of a difference to justify the extra cost for some people, but I can't see it.

Mother****erJones 06-16-2013 08:55 PM

Ok thanks.

BigBeauford 06-16-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 9756163)
Best Buy has some good deals on the older iPads. I'd much rather spend $350 or so for an iPad 2 than $699 for an iPad with retina display. Maybe there's enough of a difference to justify the extra cost for some people, but I can't see it.

Heh, get it? Can't "see" the difference....you know....retina displays and all...

TrebMaxx 06-16-2013 09:15 PM

Last night my gen 1 iPad took it's last breath. Today I replaced it with the retina display version and I must say there is quite a bit of difference. I am impressed with it. There are other things you get with the gen 3 version too, camera and video are better than the iPad 2 as is the processor. Is it worth the extra $? Jury is still out on that but I like it so far.

Mother****erJones 06-16-2013 10:43 PM

Can you do school work on them? Maybe a dumb question..

TrebMaxx 06-17-2013 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 9756413)
Can you do school work on them? Maybe a dumb question..

I wouldn't want to.

mr. tegu 06-17-2013 07:14 AM

We just bought a New Ipad. We wanted to get the Ipad 3 because basically they only difference between that one and the New Ipad was the retina display. That and $100. Unfortunately, we were looking after Ipad was no longer making or selling the Ipad 3. So we went with the new one over the Ipad 2 because it is quicker and has better resolution.

I really like it but it isn't really something you can do school work on. I suppose if you got a keyboard for it you could though.

Mother****erJones 06-17-2013 07:17 AM

Well I like iPads and don't want to have to spend $1000 or so on a laptop

mr. tegu 06-17-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 9756588)

You can get a decent laptop for well under a $1,000...

Fish 06-17-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 9756588)

An iPad is in no way a replacement for a laptop. Lots of people tend to think that, and end up sorely disappointed. The iPad is a great device capable of a lot. But it's a consumption device and not intended for actual productivity. There are some minor things you can do with it in that sense, but don't buy it expecting a laptop experience. I support hundreds of iPad users, and the overwhelming majority of them expect the iPad to do things it's not capable of, and end up disappointed. If you're planning to do "Work" on an iPad, just stop that train of thought right now.

Fish 06-17-2013 08:55 AM

In my opinion, the retina screen is not worth the price or the increased battery drain. I would really recommend the older non-retina iPad2 if you're wanting an iPad. It's still the best model. The retina display is overkill, and drains the battery much much faster. And the performance difference between the models is really negligible.

Mother****erJones 06-17-2013 10:19 AM

No I wasn't really meaning to sound like I was wanting to replace it in a sense. Just more of want an iPad and can I do some school work on it if necessary

DaveNull 06-17-2013 03:13 PM

I've got the OG iPad and the Retina iPad. Definitely go with the Retina at this point so you continue to get software updates. The first gen just doesn't have the RAM needed for iOS6 apps with some heft.

Still works like a dream for streaming video of all kinds and text editing...just not so hot with app switching or games.

With iOS7 coming in the fall, going the cheap route on a non-retina iPad may be something you regret.

It's amazing and you'll be happy with it.

Fish 06-17-2013 03:41 PM

iPad2 runs iOS 7 just fine. I've already been testing it. The difference between the retina models and the iPad2 running iOS 7 is pretty minimal.

iOS 7 is not compatible with the first gen iPad though.