ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Moss fined 10K for 'Mooning" (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=108334)

Sydd 01-13-2005 04:36 PM

Moss fined 10K for 'Mooning"

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. - Randy Moss was fined $10,000 Thursday by the NFL for pretending to pull down his pants and moon the Green Bay crowd during Minnesota's playoff win last weekend.

Peter Hadhazy, the league's director of game operations, penalized Moss for unsportsmanlike conduct in a letter that the NFL released.

"Your actions were based on poor judgment, did not reflect well on you or the Vikings, and were insulting to many," Hadhazy wrote.

"They have resulted in widespread criticism and needlessly detracted from Minnesota's dramatic playoff victory. Fans should look to you and your teammates to see how to compete and win in football. But when you lose your focus on playing and engage in sideshows as you did on Sunday, you forfeit much of this," he wrote.

Moss also briefly bumped the goalpost with his back end before hugging teammates in the end zone following his fourth-quarter touchdown catch that clinched the Vikings' 31-17 victory.

League rules mandate discipline for "obscene gestures or other actions construed as being in poor taste." A fine for the first offense under those guidelines is $5,000.

Moss hasn't previously been fined for such an action, but he paid a $25,000 penalty in 1999 for squirting an official with a water bottle.

His agent, Dante DiTrapano, said the fine was unnecessary.

"If you can't have freedom of expression on the football field, come on," DiTrapano said.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...fbn_moss_fined

Dr. Johnny Fever 01-13-2005 04:37 PM

yee haw.

Hammock Parties 01-13-2005 04:37 PM

That's like a quarter to Randy Moss.

Cool.

I hope he moons everyone next week too.

Sydd 01-13-2005 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sydd
"Your actions were based on poor judgment, did not reflect well on you or the Vikings, and were insulting to many people who are too sensetive and don't have enough to worry about in their fragile little lives. " Hadhazy wrote.

Saulbadguy 01-13-2005 04:40 PM

League rules mandate discipline for "obscene gestures or other actions construed as being in poor taste." A fine for the first offense under those guidelines is $5,000.

Moss hasn't previously been fined for such an action, but he paid a $25,000 penalty in 1999 for squirting an official with a water bottle.

Thats the only part I have a problem with. He didn't previously violate that rule, or have been fined for it, but the NFL said "what the hell", and fined him double the amount it should have been anyways. Why didn't Jake Plummer get fined $10,000? Why didn't Jake Plummers action receive the widespread media coverage that this did?

Dr. Johnny Fever 01-13-2005 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy

Thats the only part I have a problem with. He didn't previously violate that rule, or have been fined for it, but the NFL said "what the hell", and fined him double the amount it should have been anyways. Why didn't Jake Plummer get fined $10,000? Why didn't Jake Plummers action receive the widespread media coverage that this did?

Jake did get fined didn't he?

Saulbadguy 01-13-2005 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beer me
Jake did get fined didn't he?

He got fined $5,000, the amount Randy should have been fined, IMHO.

Sydd 01-13-2005 04:42 PM

Quote:

Because nobody outside of Denver cares about Denver?

Hammock Parties 01-13-2005 04:42 PM

Quote:

Because Plummer is not painted by the media as a bad guy. He never has been. He's been painted by the media as a stupid guy, but that's about it.

Never mind that Plummer's action was toward his OWN fans and it was FAR worse on the obscene gesture scale.

Dr. Johnny Fever 01-13-2005 04:45 PM

Quote:

He got fined $5,000, the amount Randy should have been fined, IMHO.

Jesus. That was actually an "obscene" gesture. I can't believe anyone would think Randy's was worse than Jakes. Moronic league.

gblowfish 01-13-2005 04:49 PM

If they really want to get these guys attention, make them sit out a game, especially during the playoffs. That'll really hit them in the wallet, and draw the ire of their employers.

Bearcat 01-13-2005 04:49 PM

After learning that Packer fans moon the visitor's bus when they leave, I thought it was the best celebration ever.

If they want to fine someone, fine Joe Horn again, for getting owned by Randy Moss.

jettio 01-13-2005 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish
If they really want to get these guys attention, make them sit out a game, especially during the playoffs. That'll really hit them in the wallet, and draw the ire of their employers.

This is one where the league is trying to save Joe Nepotism's pimply face.

Hopefully the NFL printed the stupid letter on some Charmin bathroom tissue so that it might therefore have some utility in solving more pressing issues.

Listening to lynch mob preaching from a FOX, of all networks, employee who hawks beer when he is not otherwise smarmily riding his daddy's coattails, right after the key play in a game that NFL fans have just spent 3 hours of their Sunday afternoon watching had to be one of the grandest WTF moments in recent TV history.

And what is this crap with a PR letter released to the public.

I am sure that Randy got a less publicized e-mail from the NFL:

10K for the moonshot. Funny sh*t, but as your boy Sprewell would say, Gotta feed the scavengers.

Tags

OldTownChief 01-13-2005 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoatCheese
Because Plummer is not painted by the media as a bad guy. He never has been. He's been painted by the media as a stupid guy, but that's about it.

Never mind that Plummer's action was toward his OWN fans and it was FAR worse on the obscene gesture scale.

:thumb:

Wile_E_Coyote 01-13-2005 05:53 PM

Moss "faked" mooning the crowd, he had to know the camera would catch it $10k. Plummer tried to sneak the bird past the camera $5k. Plummer had been fined by the league before for leaving the #40 on his helmet.

Not so sure how fair this was when comparing the two

Edit: Plummer did not get fined for the sticker, my bad