ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs A brand spanking new Jared Allen thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=183174)

BigRock 04-18-2008 05:08 PM

A brand spanking new Jared Allen thread

According to a Vikes' board (this is probably from their Scout.com site like the similiarly unlinked report from yesterday):

Quote:

- The Chiefs want more than the 1st and 3rd the Vikings are alleged to have offered. It is said that it will take a "wow offer" to get them to agree to the trade.

- Time is an important factor. If Allen was signed to an offer sheet then the Chiefs would be guaranteed seven days to match it. An offer sheet would have to be signed and approved by the league by tomorrow (Saturday) to give KC seven days before the draft.

Without the offer sheet option to fall back on, the entire deal hinges on the Vikings being able to offer the Chiefs enough in return to make the trade. If they don't offer a deal to the Chiefs liking, Allen isn't coming.

- The Vikings believe more teams, at least 3, have contacted KC about Allen in the last 24 hours once all this news got out. But in terms of having the picks to satisfy the Chiefs and the cap room to get a deal done, the Vikings believe they're in the lead.

- One of the 3 teams, though, is rumored to be New England, and the chance of getting their high first rounder is going to entice the Chiefs a lot more than getting Minnesota's. The Patriots also have a high third round pick (4 spots higher than the Vikings' first pick in that round).

Still, it's not known what, if anything, the Patriots have offered. And it's unlikely the Chiefs would want to trade Allen to an AFC team.

Hammock Parties 04-18-2008 05:11 PM

OK Mecca, tell us how stupid the Patriots are.

the Talking Can 04-18-2008 05:13 PM

can a team fit two top 10 picks with the rookie pool?

kstater 04-18-2008 05:14 PM

I'd take the Patriot's 1st and 3rd in a heartbeat.

Mecca 04-18-2008 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOATSE (Post 4693496)
OK Mecca, tell us how stupid the Patriots are.

I'll believe they'll do it when I see it, but they also sit in win now mode...

Mr. Arrowhead 04-18-2008 05:15 PM

i would gladly trade him to the Pats. that #7 spot looks real nice

The Franchise 04-18-2008 05:16 PM

So Allen would be an OLB in the Patriots scheme?

Mecca 04-18-2008 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pestilenceaf23 (Post 4693517)

He'd be a mix since they do some 4-3 looks also, I don't really buy that they'd trade for him...

But just saying they did the Chiefs would have to more down on one of those picks because I don't think they could afford 2 top 10 picks.

Hammock Parties 04-18-2008 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pestilenceaf23 (Post 4693517)

Probably. I think he could do it. It's not like they'd be asking him to cover a bunch of people on passing downs...

The Franchise 04-18-2008 05:17 PM

What I don't get is this.

If it's true that the Pats are interested.....doesn't this go against everything they normally do? That would involve giving up a huge contract to a player and giving up picks to get that player.

Direckshun 04-18-2008 05:18 PM

Jared Allen sounds completely opposite of the type of player New England wants. He doesn't have the size to play DE and he doesn't have the speed to play OLB in the 3-4. Not to mention the Patriots rarely trade for players, they never pay players a lot of money, and they never enter a deal where they end up with fewer picks than when they started.

If the Patriots are truly involved in this, I'll be the most surprised person in the building.

Direckshun 04-18-2008 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 4693505)
can a team fit two top 10 picks with the rookie pool?

I'd love to find out. :)

The Franchise 04-18-2008 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 4693520)
He'd be a mix since they do some 4-3 looks also, I don't really buy that they'd trade for him...

But just saying they did the Chiefs would have to more down on one of those picks because I don't think they could afford 2 top 10 picks.

I could see a possible move down then. I would grab Ellis with the #5 pick and then try and trade down with the Saints to the #10 pick.

Direckshun 04-18-2008 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pestilenceaf23 (Post 4693522)
What I don't get is this.

If it's true that the Pats are interested.....doesn't this go against everything they normally do? That would involve giving up a huge contract to a player and giving up picks to get that player.

Great minds.

keg in kc 04-18-2008 05:20 PM

The more the merrier. Greater interest = more value in return.