ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Defense narrative is wrong on this game (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=325720)

jerryaldini 10-06-2019 11:30 PM

Defense narrative is wrong on this game

Chiefs lost because on 10 offensive possessions they scored 13 points. They had plenty of possessions. When you can't convert 1st downs your TOP suffers. It's simply wrong that Indys rush game was why they won. Chiefs gave up 4 ypc, league average, and only 330 total.

Lots of running requires long drives with many opportunities to be stopped, which the chiefs did every drive except the first. Unless you convert those to TDs you aren't scoring enough to win in the modern NFL without a great defense. 19 points won't get it done.

Even in the AFCCG the chiefs only yielded 3.7 ypc. But they couldn't stop the short pass game and gave up 7 TDs. This year's team is getting stops at key times the last two weeks. This week they eliminated big plays except the PI.

The defense has not been good. But it's been good enough to be 5-0, and is getting better. Online is trash, and is not helped by Andy never running the ball or enough screens/draws to keep the opposing D line honest. We get Mo next week and hopefully a trade or two to add a DB and possibly front 7 piece. Chiefs are gonna getcha, yarhoooo.

SDChiefs 10-06-2019 11:35 PM

No. Our defense sucks. Our defense is good enough to win because mahomes, is not an excuse. Mahomes is putting up record numbers without wr1 and 2 now, and lt1 and gore saying it's not the defenses fault. Mahomes shouldn't have to carry the d.

AussieChiefsFan 10-06-2019 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDChiefs (Post 14506719)
No. Our defense sucks. Our defense is good enough to win because mahomes, is not an excuse. Mahomes is putting up record numbers without wr1 and 2 now, and lt1 and gore saying it's not the defenses fault. Mahomes shouldn't have to carry the d.

Normally I would agree, but regarding today OP is right. On a day where the offense was firing on all cylinders we would've run away with this one. The pass protection was horrendous and the play calling and clock management might have been even worse. The defense made some great plays despite being on the field for what probably amounted to about three years.

Sent from my ZTE A2017G using Tapatalk

stevieray 10-06-2019 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDChiefs (Post 14506719)

The offense put up 13 points at home.

That's pathetic.

Nickhead 10-06-2019 11:40 PM

injuries all across the board are the biggest factor.

and the fact the chiefs backups are worse than indy's :D

FloridaMan88 10-06-2019 11:42 PM

The “don’t blame the defense because they only gave up 19 points” narrative is bullshit.

Playing bend and don’t break and giving up THREE 11 play drives and a 14 play drive plays right into the opposing team’s #1 goal which is to keep Mahomes on the sideline.

rabblerouser 10-06-2019 11:43 PM

The Colts held the ball for almost 40 minutes, and in the 2nd half alone had an 11 play 7 minute drive and a 14 play 9 minute drive, and the only pass they threw was called back for a penalty on a pick play...and you want to sit there and tell me that WASN'T the defense's fault?

Are you ****ing SERIOUS!?

WE HAD FOUR POSSESSIONS IN THE SECOND HALF.

THEY RAN 20 MORE PLAYS THAN WE DID.

THEY RAN THE BALL AT WILL.

11 PLAY, 7 MINUTE DRIVE.

14 PLAY, 9 MINUTE DRIVE.

THAT'S OVER A FULL QUARTER IN TWO DRIVES...AND THEY KEPT MAHOMES OFF THE FIELD FOR OVER A QUARTER OF THE GAME ON TWO DRIVES.

THINK ABOUT THAT.

RickObie 10-06-2019 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan (Post 14506721)
Normally I would agree, but regarding today OP is right. On a day where the offense was firing on all cylinders we would've run away with this one. The pass protection was horrendous and the play calling and clock management might have been even worse. The defense made some great plays despite being on the field for what probably amounted to about three years.

Why were they on defense for 3 years? Because they couldn’t get off the field - did they have a 3 and out?

TEX 10-06-2019 11:45 PM

You people are CRAZY AS **** to think that the defense is not the problem.

rabblerouser 10-06-2019 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 14506725)
The “don’t blame the defense because they only gave up 19 points” narrative is bullshit.

Playing bend and don’t break and giving up THREE 11 play drives and a 14 play drive plays right into the opposing team’s #1 goal which is to keep Mahomes on the sideline.

Thank you, I'm glad to hear from someone who understands football strategy.

The Indianapolis Colts beat us the same way the Pats beat us and the way Detroit almost beat us - keep Mahomes off the field, bleed the clock.

It's not complicated, and easy to do with this defense.

RickObie 10-06-2019 11:45 PM

Did they have a 6 and out.

Inspector 10-06-2019 11:45 PM

Defense narrative??

****, I don't know about that......but we need to find a way to defend our QB. We need an O Line and we need, oh shit, we need a ****ing defense.

I'm sick of waiting. I watched the first SB and I've waited for decades for another SB.......but...you need an O-line and a defense to make a run.

I can't live forever for ****s sake!!!

Godddammit!!!!

rabblerouser 10-06-2019 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 14506730)
You people are crazy as **** to think that the defense is not the problem.

THIS.

AussieChiefsFan 10-06-2019 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 14506725)

Several injuries on the D line don't help with that. I see what you're saying but in the end we still only scored 10 points in the first half, even before Patty rolled his ankle (twice) and even before the TOP got all ****ed up. Not establishing the ground game really hurt us, and again, injuries on the O line don't help.

And what the hell was with calling three time-outs with 4 minutes left in the game when we were clearly going to give up another first.

Chief Northman 10-06-2019 11:50 PM

Blame all around here.

Offensive play calling was poor.
Penalties.
Poor O-line play.
Receivers unable to shake man coverage.
No run game.
Turnovers.
Poor run defense.
Inability to force Indy into 2nd/3rd and long consistently.

Overall Indy executed their game-plan with a depleted roster. Easily the more physical team.