ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc So I hyperextended/sprained my knee last Monday... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270658)

Hootie 03-02-2013 08:05 PM

So I hyperextended/sprained my knee last Monday...

I was playing flag football and went to break up a poorly thrown ball in my direction and as I came down my knee hyperextended pretty horribly and I was in instant pain thinking I tore a ligament or three. I hobbled back in obvious pain to the LOS and walked it off a bit...it hurt but I could also feel the pain subsidizing so I thought I got lucky...

at halftime (about 3 minutes after) I tested my knee out on the field and could run straight line about 60% and I could make cuts (not aggressive cuts, but cuts at like 60%) so I played the 2nd half (we had no subs) and gutted it out.

After the game I was walking with a limp but it wasn't terrible. As soon as I sat down for a bit it started to tighten and at 5 AM I couldn't move it really...I couldn't get out of bed, I couldn't put on a sock, it was terrible. Horrible, horrible pain.

I went to convenient care at 8 AM and told the doctor everything that happened, and he did some tests and didn't think I'd be able to play on my knee the way I did if anything was torn and my XRays were negative.

Tuesday and Wednesday I could hardly walk...it was bad...horrible limp, terrible pain. Thursday I started feeling better and could walk with a limp pretty well. Same with Friday. Same with today (getting better every day).

My knee is incredibly swollen. I just looked down...is it normal for your whole leg to swell in this situation. I have absolutely no pain in my ankle but my ankle is about 3 times the size of my other ankle (just noticed that).

Is that odd? Normal? I know nothing about this kind of stuff.

Also, I fully plan on returning to flag football in two Monday's...is a sprained knee like a sprained ankle? Am I risking reinjuring it every time I play like an ankle?

Any advice/tips/info would be appreciated.

petegz28 03-02-2013 08:06 PM

Use your other knee....

KurtCobain 03-02-2013 08:08 PM

Ouch. No experience with knee problems thankfully. Wish I could be some help. always nice to have to chiefs planet when you have an injury though, I've learned. Keeps you busy and takes the mind off the pain.

Best of luck.

Carlota69 03-02-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9458409)
I was playing flag football and went to break up a poorly thrown ball in my direction and as I came down my knee hyperextended pretty horribly and I was in instant pain thinking I tore a ligament or three. I hobbled back in obvious pain to the LOS and walked it off a bit...it hurt but I could also feel the pain subsidizing so I thought I got lucky...

at halftime (about 3 minutes after) I tested my knee out on the field and could run straight line about 60% and I could make cuts (not aggressive cuts, but cuts at like 60%) so I played the 2nd half (we had no subs) and gutted it out.

After the game I was walking with a limp but it wasn't terrible. As soon as I sat down for a bit it started to tighten and at 5 AM I couldn't move it really...I couldn't get out of bed, I couldn't put on a sock, it was terrible. Horrible, horrible pain.

I went to convenient care at 8 AM and told the doctor everything that happened, and he did some tests and didn't think I'd be able to play on my knee the way I did if anything was torn and my XRays were negative.

Tuesday and Wednesday I could hardly walk...it was bad...horrible limp, terrible pain. Thursday I started feeling better and could walk with a limp pretty well. Same with Friday. Same with today (getting better every day).

My knee is incredibly swollen. I just looked down...is it normal for your whole leg to swell in this situation. I have absolutely no pain in my ankle but my ankle is about 3 times the size of my other ankle (just noticed that).

Is that odd? Normal? I know nothing about this kind of stuff.

Also, I fully plan on returning to flag football in two Monday's...is a sprained knee like a sprained ankle? Am I risking reinjuring it every time I play like an ankle?

Any advice/tips/info would be appreciated.

Get an MRI now.
I tore my ACL and minscus in October. Recovering from knee surgery as I type this. They told me a sprained knee in the hospital, and I thought oh, like a sprained ankle. No big deal. However, knee sprain means torn ligaments as well. Get a MRI.

Mav 03-02-2013 08:11 PM

Have you been icing it?

If not, i would do an ice pack for 20 minutes, take it off, take some advil, ice again for 20 minutes before bed, and then elevate it. I get constant swelling in my knees, and i have had both of my knees scoped. YOu need to get the swelling down, it wont properly heal until you do.

Carlota69 03-02-2013 08:13 PM

Oh and stop playing football tell you know the extent of the damage.

Hootie 03-02-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlota69 (Post 9458438)
Get an MRI now.
I tore my ACL and minscus in October. Recovering from knee surgery as I type this. They told me a sprained knee in the hospital, and I thought oh, like a sprained ankle. No big deal. However, knee sprain means torn ligaments as well. Get a MRI.

I don't think I'd be able to cut, run and do the things I did on my knee after the injury if I tore ligaments...and the doctor checked the stability of my knee and poked and prodded each ligament to see where it was hurting and felt like he didn't think I could have a tear...

I mean...I was doing post routes and out routes at 70% or so...if I had an ACL I don't think I could do that.

Phobia 03-02-2013 08:15 PM

You aren't playing football in 2 weeks. Give that one up right now. Even if you didn't tear anything, you're probably hobbled, running activity-wise for at least a couple months. This much pain and swelling doesn't just go away. Let it heal.

Dayze 03-02-2013 08:15 PM

Hope you're better by the playoffs.

Carlota69 03-02-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9458462)
I don't think I'd be able to cut, run and do the things I did on my knee after the injury if I tore ligaments...and the doctor checked the stability of my knee and poked and prodded each ligament to see where it was hurting and felt like he didn't think I could have a tear...

I mean...I was doing post routes and out routes at 70% or so...if I had an ACL I don't think I could do that.

They checked mine to. Grabbed it, jacked it around and it didnt hurt at all. And I have fully torn ACL. Well, had.
MRI will answer all your questions. Go to an orthopedic and get it done.

displacedinMN 03-02-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlota69 (Post 9458438)
Get an MRI now.

Haven't heard for a while.... How's it going?

Hootie 03-02-2013 08:17 PM

there is not a whole lot of pain anymore but I need to stop being so lazy and actually ice it...

the swelling in my ankle is ridiculous and I hadn't even noticed it until today.

Mav 03-02-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9458472)
there is not a whole lot of pain anymore but I need to stop being so lazy and actually ice it...

the swelling in my ankle is ridiculous and I hadn't even noticed it until today.

When you hurt something, you start moving differently to keep the pressure off of it, and when you do that, other joints suffer. My calf took a beating after my surgery cause i was putting most of the weight on there. Looked like someone beat the crap out of me it was so bruised.

Hootie 03-02-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9458463)
You aren't playing football in 2 weeks. Give that one up right now. Even if you didn't tear anything, you're probably hobbled, running activity-wise for at least a couple months. This much pain and swelling doesn't just go away. Let it heal.

what about bowling? It's on my non-sliding leg.

I am also on my feet almost the entire time at work...

I'm pretty tough when push comes to shove...they kept trying to get me a wheelchair and I refused it. Is this something I should worry about. I have been the least injury prone person ever in terms of my sporting career. Fractured my foot once in football as a freshmen, and my elbow twice in basketball when I was 11 and 14.

other than that, I just rarely ever get anything worse than a turned ankle.

This is literally the worst injury I've ever had...I'm going to sports medicine on Monday so they will probably do further tests.

Carlota...I can bend my knee and cut right now...I just can't really straighten it the whole way...it was a legit hyperextension...the only place that really hurts is the back side of my knee...

what was your experience/what was hurt/what happened?

Carlota69 03-02-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 9458471)
Haven't heard for a while.... How's it going?

It's going really well. Once I'm healed, my knee will be right as rain.
But, as it's now, I can't go to the gym for 3months and I'm in pt for 6 months.
I opted for the allograft, cadaver tendon, and they gave me an ice machine that has rocked!!! I haven't taken any pain meds outside of Motrin and Tylenol. Really happy with my surgery and my prognosis.