ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals What Baseball Was Like in KC: 1956 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276210)

WhawhaWhat 09-13-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9970191)
Interesting. Did not know that. I just always associated the A's with Charlie O. And how much my dad hated him.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/corner/c042001b.shtml

Here is more information about all the Yankees-KC A's trades back in the 50s. A's trading Roger Maris for basically nothing is the worst.

Dave Lane 09-13-2013 01:04 PM

Nice find George. Was about 1 month old in most of those series :)

Prison Bitch 09-13-2013 01:04 PM

I do remember people calling us their farm team, but I always thought it was Charlie doing the deals. I remember something about him puttig the petting zoo in the OF or something like that. Can't remember. Didn't he want to call us the Mules?

gblowfish 09-13-2013 01:10 PM

Charlie O was the name of the mule mascot. Finley had sheep grazing out beyond the outfield wall. And there was an electric mechanical rabbit named "Harvey" that popped up out of the ground behind home plate to give the ump more baseballs when he ran out.

I kinda like the Harvey idea.
Maybe we should add a mechanical Sluggrrrr behind home in Kauffman?

Strongside 09-13-2013 01:12 PM

Mayor Bartle cannot throw a baseball.

ChiefsCountry 09-13-2013 02:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
From the video, this would be facing downtown Kansas City from past Stockyards/Airport area correct?

Thig Lyfe 09-13-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9969815)
Was the hats black or navy? You really can't tell in that video.

Was the hats

HemiEd 09-13-2013 02:37 PM

"the happy clatter of cleats on home plate!" 14 runs after two outs is pretty darn impressive.

My childhood memory of watching the KC "A"s live was nothing like that!:ZZZ:

jettio 09-13-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 9970442)
"the happy clatter of cleats on home plate!" 14 runs after two outs is pretty darn impressive.

My childhood memory of watching the KC "A"s live was nothing like that!:ZZZ:

that made me wonder how many statistical records have the KC A's topping the Royals.

The Royals must have nearly all of the KC MLB records, but I doubt they ever came close to 14 runs in an inning.

gblowfish 09-13-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9970362)
From the video, this would be facing downtown Kansas City from past Stockyards/Airport area correct?

I think that picture was taken from the West Bottoms (stockyards) by where Kemper Arena is now. You would be facing East.

The old KC airport (which is still there) is just north of the downtown loop on the Missouri side, right where the Kaw River and Missouri river meet, and where the Missouri River bends to head north towards St. Joseph.

WilliamTheIrish 09-13-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9970203)
I do remember people calling us their farm team, but I always thought it was Charlie doing the deals. I remember something about him puttig the petting zoo in the OF or something like that. Can't remember. Didn't he want to call us the Mules?

That was all A. Johnson.

Most of the trades didn't amount to much save for dealing Roger Maris. Lots of nobodys went back and forth.

HemiEd 09-13-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jettio (Post 9970460)
that made me wonder how many statistical records have the KC A's topping the Royals.

The Royals must have nearly all of the KC MLB records, but I doubt they ever came close to 14 runs in an inning.

I remember one Royals game when they came back from being down 11 I think, but my memory is getting pretty weak.

I was listening to it on the radio while working on something, or would have probably quit listening to that game since they were so far down.

I believe it was against the Indians, and I think they had something like 12 straight hits after two outs. Had to be in the early to mid 80s, possibly late 70s.

Hopefully someone remembers or knows how to find the facts, to see how close my memory is.

gblowfish 09-13-2013 03:21 PM

That TWA Connie is a cool plane. They have one of those on display at the old airport museum. The plastic cow on the column is still there. Notice how crappy the field looks. That was before Toma. 48 stars on the US Flag. H Roe Bartle looks like Billy Butler! You can see a lot of old KC A's uniforms and stuff at Chappel's Restaurant in North KC.

HemiEd 09-13-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 9970565)
That TWA Connie is a cool plane. They have one of those on display at the old airport museum. The plastic cow on the column is still there. Notice how crappy the field looks. That was before Toma. 48 stars on the US Flag. H Roe Bartle looks like Billy Butler!

I noticed the "Super Connie" as well George, with fond memories. Have you ever flown in one of those? They had 4, 3350 engines and would nail you to the seat on take off.

stevieray 09-13-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9970362)

back when the Power and Light buliding was the tallest...my mom worked for IBM for 35 years across the street @ 14th and Baltimore