ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football New safety rule proposal for NFL RBs. Emmitt Smith says NFL has lost its mind (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271172)

Deberg_1990 03-15-2013 06:47 AM

New safety rule proposal for NFL RBs. Emmitt Smith says NFL has lost its mind

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/03/14/e...lost-its-mind/

The NFL is changing its rules to prevent ball-carriers from initiating contact with the crown of the helmet.

It’s an attempt to make the game safer – but the league’s all-time leading rusher, Emmitt Smith, thinks the NFL should have its own head examined.

“If I’m a running back and I’m running into a linebacker, you’re telling me I have to keep my head up so he can take my chin off?’’ Smith said Thursday in an exclusive interview with Dallas radio station 105.3 The Fan. “You’ve absolutely lost your mind.’’

The NFL’s rules-making competition committee will propose this change to NFL owners at league meetings next week. At least 24 votes from 32 owners are required for passage.

“As a running back, it’s almost impossible (to not lower your head),’’ said the Dallas Cowboys legend. “The first thing you do is get behind your shoulder pads. That means you’re leaning forward and the first part of contact that’s going to take place is your head, regardless.

“I disagree with the rule altogether. It doesn’t make any sense for that position. It sounds like it’s been made up by people who have never played the game of football.’’

It is the league’s view that the crown of the helmet is dangerous for both the defender (who isn’t allowed to use the technique against ball-carriers) and the player with the ball. The competition committee is clearly seeking extra protection for defenders.

“That’s part of the game,’’ Smith said of “the violent part of the game … I don’t know how you’re going to be able to enforce that rule without really jeopardizing the integrity of the game itself. ‘’

Smith, who helped the Cowboys to three Super Bowl titles and in his 15 NFL seasons amassed a record 18,355 rushing yards, believes the league’s effort “makes the ref’s job, that’s already hard, even tougher. There’s no way in the world a running back is not going to be able to avoid contact without leading with his head first. … If this is truly what the NFL is trying to get after and they’re calling that ‘defenseless’, it’s so subjective that it doesn’t make any sense. That’s one rule that absolutely does not make sense. ‘’

Hammock Parties 03-15-2013 06:50 AM

**** this rule

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/webroot/a.../1225465_o.gif

Direckshun 03-15-2013 06:51 AM

Emmitt Smith done said the NFL had loss its mine.

chiefzilla1501 03-15-2013 07:10 AM

What the **** good has Goodall done.with anything.

Want to make the game safer? Make players wear specific equipment and make that decision asked on safety, not based on which supplier provides the best sweetheart deal.

Rasputin 03-15-2013 07:13 AM

Roger Goodell knows what it is like because he played pee wee football.

Now he is trying to make it as tough as pee wee football.

Rasputin 03-15-2013 07:15 AM

Just change the name to NFFL National Flag Football League.

Dayze 03-15-2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9501151)
What the **** good has Goodall done.with anything.

Want to make the game safer? Make players wear specific equipment and make that decision asked on safety, not based on which supplier provides the best sweetheart deal.

and or, eliminate the other injury causing aspects. like cut-blocks.

it's a dog and pony show for the NFL to cover its' ass from future lawsuits IMO

In58men 03-15-2013 07:31 AM

They talked about this on Monday.

Been around for awhile I assume

CoMoChief 03-15-2013 07:35 AM

You guys realize they're doing all of this now because the NFL is getting ready to be sued out the ass for this concussion stuff right?

Lzen 03-15-2013 07:35 AM

I wish Roger Goodell would go bye bye. :shake:

Deberg_1990 03-15-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9501199)
You guys realize they're doing all of this now because the NFL is getting ready to be sued out the ass for this concussion stuff right?

Its all just so silly......ex-players who are sueing are trying to have their cake and eat it too.

How do you want it? Its a violent game. There is not much the NFL can do to make things safer without changing the integrity of the game. It would just be a completely different game.

If you dont want to risk a shorter lifespan, go find a different line of work.

Vietnam58 03-15-2013 07:43 AM

This is a horrid rule but if they have the rule for defenders its only right they have the same rule for the offensive players. . both rules suck as does the NFL lately

pretty soon the only legal tackle will be an arm tackle and the Chiefs will have the number 1 defense in the NFL

DaKCMan AP 03-15-2013 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9501208)
Its all just so silly......ex-players who are sueing are trying to have their cake and eat it too.

How do you want it? Its a violent game. There is not much the NFL can do to make things safer without changing the integrity of the game. It would just be a completely different game.

If you dont want to risk a shorter lifespan, go find a different line of work.

This.

The problem is if the NFL has hidden injury information/risks in the past. For current/future players, however, they HAVE to know the risks.

Molitoth 03-15-2013 08:10 AM

I hate the NFL more and more every year.

jimw51 03-15-2013 11:08 AM

I am with Smith