ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Natural gas smell when heat kicks on (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269337)

Ace Gunner 01-26-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9352186)
Igniter is fine. Just watched it. And this time, no smell of gas. Ugh. I'll check the exhaust vent.

that's telling. it's likely carbon build up on that electronic igniter. they sell the igniter assy for a few bucks on most models. maybe go get one and replace it. it's easy -- plug swap, really.

King_Chief_Fan 01-26-2013 10:12 AM

just a guess, but maybe the heat exchanger

Ace Gunner 01-26-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 9352220)
It could be a lot of things. There may be a leak in one of the connecting unions in your gas process line, an exhaust vent issue, or something else.

If you have ANY doubt, call the gas company and tell them you smell gas. They will be out quickly at no charge with a sniffer. I own one that I use for various gas applications at refineries, but that's not going to do you any good being hundreds of miles away. Like I said if you have even the slightest thought there may be a leak, call the gas company.

if there were a gas line leak, the fumes would be omnipresent 24/7.

houstonwhodat 01-26-2013 10:54 AM

We don't need heat in Houston.

It's 80 ****ing degrees down here.

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-26-2013 10:55 AM

You could DIY it, or you could call a professional to deal with the atomized explosive potentially invading your living space.

Stewie 01-26-2013 10:57 AM

If there's a leak in the house (which it sounds like there is) the gas company will red-tag the furnace. They'll turn it off and ask you to call an HVAC company to get the problem fixed. Skip the gas company and call a pro.

Donger 01-26-2013 10:57 AM

Pet peeve: you aren't smelling natural gas. NG is odorless. What you are smelling is the odorant that the gas companies put into NG for this very reason.

Call your gas company immediately.

Bwana 01-26-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9352390)
if there were a gas line leak, the fumes would be omnipresent 24/7.

If it's in a common interior location it should be, but I still wouldn't want to bet my life on it. If by chance there is a leak originating from an exterior location like next to the house, who knows. I break out my equipment about twice a year and sniff the entire system. Better to be safe than dead when it comes to gas.

58-4ever 01-26-2013 11:06 AM

http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/73...0125_wmain.jpg

Rasputin 01-26-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 9352431)
If there's a leak in the house (which it sounds like there is) the gas company will red-tag the furnace. They'll turn it off and ask you to call an HVAC company to get the problem fixed. Skip the gas company and call a pro.

Yep this too. The place I am buying was vacant for a year and the gas company had me call a pro co to come out and test for leaks and then they sent a guy to varify while they were here. There wasn't any leaks fortunately or I would have had to pay the pro company to fix the problem.

Mr. Laz 01-26-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 9352220)
It could be a lot of things. There may be a leak in one of the connecting unions in your gas process line, an exhaust vent issue, or something else.

If you have ANY doubt, call the gas company and tell them you smell gas. They will be out quickly at no charge with a sniffer. I own one that I use for various gas applications at refineries, but that's not going to do you any good being hundreds of miles away. Like I said if you have even the slightest thought there may be a leak, call the gas company.

Is it wrong that Bwana is so studly that i kind feel 'crushy' when he talks like this?

Bwana For President!!!!!!!!!!!

oh yea ... and what he said

Silock 01-26-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9352434)
Pet peeve: you aren't smelling natural gas. NG is odorless. What you are smelling is the odorant that the gas companies put into NG for this very reason.

Call your gas company immediately.

I'm aware of that. But it wouldn't fit in the subject line, and would sound a little douchey.

Ace Gunner 01-26-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9352504)
I'm aware of that. But it wouldn't fit in the subject line, and would sound a little douchey.

:clap: did ya fix it?

Silock 01-26-2013 01:04 PM

Gas dude is here now. Just a weird interaction between the water heater venting and the furnace being on that overloads the exhaust vent because of the way the vent tees together, which is why it's intermittent. Only happens when the water heater and the furnace are going at the same time.

He told me how to fix it and is just finishing up. No crazy death traps in the house. Sorry to disappoint!

Chiefshrink 01-26-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9352736)
Gas dude is here now. Just a weird interaction between the water heater venting and the furnace being on that overloads the exhaust vent because of the way the vent tees together, which is why it's intermittent. Only happens when the water heater and the furnace are going at the same time.

He told me how to fix it and is just finishing up. No crazy death traps in the house. Sorry to disappoint!

Glad to hear everything is cool. I experienced the exact same thing:thumb: