ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals: Mark Teahan (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=147756)

Mr. Laz 09-14-2006 03:04 PM

Royals: Mark Teahan

Posted on Thu, Sep. 14, 2006

Teahen ‘still sore’ but already looking ahead

By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star
CLEVELAND | Royals third baseman Mark Teahen is about to switch positions.

For now, that just means getting off the couch and heading back to Kansas City for a follow-up examination today on his surgically repaired right shoulder.

“It’s still sore from the surgery,” he said. “So it’s not like I have full range of motion yet. But I haven’t had to take too many pain pills.”

He has, however, become something of a “couch potato” since undergoing surgery last Friday in Los Angeles to repair a partial tear in his rotator cuff and some fraying in his labrum.

“It’s tough,” he said, “because I definitely wanted to finish the season. And I could have finished it if the situation was different. But, hopefully, the games early next season will be more important than the games late in this season.”

Teahen will meet today with Royals chief physician Steve Joyce to refine his rehabilitation program. Once Teahen’s range of motion improves, he’ll begin strength exercises as a precursor to starting a throwing program in late December.

Those throwing exercises could be modified if the Royals switch Teahen to the outfield, as expected, to accommodate the arrival of top prospect Alex Gordon.

Inherited success

Reliever Scott Dohmann’s 7.27 earned-run average is about twice as high as what might be viewed as acceptable. But a closer look at the numbers reveals at least one major plus in his 15 outings since arriving from Colorado in a July 31 trade.

Dohmann has not allowed any of 11 inherited runners to score.

Minor details

Class AA Wichita and short-season Idaho Falls resume postseason play tonight in their leagues’ championship series.

Wichita is tied 1-1 with Corpus Christi in the best-of-five Texas League finals.

Idaho Falls returns home in a 1-0 hole to Missoula in the best-of-three Pioneer League finals.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Counting it down

(Through Tuesday)

•Record needed to avoid 100 losses: 8-9

•Record needed to avoid matching club-record 106 losses: 2-15

•Tragic number for clinching worst record in baseball: 16

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inherited runners

(Minimum 10; through Tuesday)

Reliever In. runners Scored Pct. stranded
Scott Dohmann 11 0 100.0
Joe Nelson 13 3 76.9
Jimmy Gobble 40 12 70.0
Mike Wood 15 5 67.7
Joel Peralta 46 16 65.2
Luke Hudson* 11 4 63.6
Todd Wellemeyer 26 11 57.7
Andrew Sisco 56 25 55.4
Ambiorix Burgos 40 20 50.0

Eleazar 09-14-2006 03:10 PM

If only Gordon could play shortstop...

Mr. Laz 09-14-2006 03:12 PM

why move Teahan to the outfield??

we had some success in developing outfielders ....... we need a shortstop.

why can't we move Teahan 15 feet to his left and let him play at shortstop?

the angle of the hits is similar ... the throws to 1st are similar

i think Teahan is athletic enough to learn how to "turn 2"

Teahan is a solid hitter at 3rd base .... but would be considered a fantastic hitting shortstop.

Gordon,Teahan,Grud,Shealy,Buck is a solid infield ... especially if Buck can develop as a hitter.

german and berroa as backups

Jesus,Costa,Saunders in the outfields with Gathright and Brown as backups.

Brown,Sweeney :rolleyes: at DH

full roster already under contract .... Moore can concentrate on just picking up pitching this coming off season.

tk13 09-14-2006 03:14 PM

Hochevar pitches tonight for Wichita, I do believe. They're playing on the road these last three games though. Supposed to be Hochevar-Lumsden-Greinke pitching, something to watch for.

Demonpenz 09-14-2006 03:15 PM

we aint going to do shit without some guns in the rotation trade him for roy holiday!

jiveturkey 09-14-2006 03:15 PM

There were discussions about this on the radio today.

Brown probably won't be here next year. Sanders will be a trade candidate.

Grud is a much more likely candidate at SS. He's actually played it before.

Mr. Laz 09-14-2006 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey

German at 2nd then?

tk13 09-14-2006 03:21 PM

I don't think Teahen has the range to play SS. I think the interesting question is what will happen to Gathright and Huber eventually.

I think we might try and find a SS in free agency. If not, maybe just give Blanco the job.

Emil's up for arbitration I do believe. And he's probably going to win a pretty good chunk of salary, he's just kinda quietly rolling along hitting almost .300. Although with Sanders and Sweeney, we're going to need a right handed bat somewhere. Maybe it's Justin Huber.

Mr. Laz 09-14-2006 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13
I don't think Teahen has the range to play SS.

i hope they at least try

i'd hate to see them dump Teahan in the outfield much like they dump pitchers into "middle relief" whenevery they can't handle being a starter or closer.

jiveturkey 09-14-2006 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz
German at 2nd then?

I didn't hear anything about 2nd but that would be a possibility.

Is there anyone in the minors that's being groomed for 2nd? Maybe it's a position we address in FA.

Sure-Oz 09-14-2006 03:29 PM

So Teahan in LF next year? with Dejesus in CF and ??? in right

siberian khatru 09-14-2006 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13
I don't think Teahen has the range to play SS. I think the interesting question is what will happen to Gathright and Huber eventually.

I've wondered about Gathright. Did Moore acquire him to see what he's got, and if he doesn't pan out he maybe can flip him for a Grade-C prospect and move on?

Or is he thinking of dangling DeJesus for pitching help, installing Gathright in CF and flanking him with strong bats? Because I don't like the idea of having both Gath and DeJesus in the OF. DeJesus has more value (as a hitter) in CF, and I don't like having so little firepower in 2/3 of the OF.

I'd rather have either one in CF flanked by power bats (Teahen and Huber?) What does that leave ... Gordon at 3B, Shealy at 1B, Butler at DH and Lubanski and Meier as backups/trade bait/other? Or maybe Huber is trade bait for pitching?

Basically, I think Moore has a lot of options emerging in the next 1-2 years.

jiveturkey 09-14-2006 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz
So Teahan in LF next year? with Dejesus in CF and ??? in right

I'm hearing Teahan in right.

If Sanders gets traded then LF is wide open.

Pitt Gorilla 09-14-2006 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey

Why no Brown? Do other teams want him that badly?

Pitt Gorilla 09-14-2006 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru
I've wondered about Gathright. Did Moore acquire him to see what he's got, and if he doesn't pan out he maybe can flip him for a Grade-C prospect and move on?

Or is he thinking of dangling DeJesus for pitching help, installing Gathright in CF and flanking him with strong bats? Because I don't like the idea of having both Gath and DeJesus in the OF. DeJesus has more value (as a hitter) in CF, and I don't like having so little firepower in 2/3 of the OF.

I'd rather have either one in CF flanked by power bats (Teahen and Huber?) What does that leave ... Gordon at 3B, Shealy at 1B, Butler at DH and Lubanski and Meier as backups/trade bait/other? Or maybe Huber is trade bait for pitching?

Basically, I think Moore has a lot of options emerging in the next 1-2 years.

That would be a defensively terrible outfield. Having Gathright and DeJesus in the OF is in line with Moore's plan: defense (speed) and pitching.