ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KU **** OFFICIAL 2012-2013 Kansas Basketball Repository Thread **** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265263)

sedated 11-16-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Too (Post 9123141)
That's my point. He did that LAST YEAR...when he had Robinson.

He's never going to be asked to score in the NBA. He's going to be asked to come off the bench for defense and rebounding.

Against bums, he is averaging 14 points, 11 boards, and 6 blocks. Scouts aren't going to care how many boards and swats he gets against teams who start 6'5 power forwards.

Against MSU, a team with legit size, he had 8 points, 7 boards, and 2 blocks. Yawn

It seems your argument is impossible to win. You are declaring last year invalid because KU also had Robinson (which makes no sense because everyone else is talking about defense, which Robinson did not affect at all. If you are talking rebounds it makes even less sense because he had to fight with Robinson for all of them). And you will discount any stat from this year that isn’t against Michigan State – and stats are wonderful tools when the sample size is limited as much as possible :rolleyes:

So, cool story bro.

Buehler445 11-16-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 9123134)
I'd be happy with that. As long as I get to keep yelling "Damnit Withey!"

Oh hell. If we can't yell "Damnit Withey," and "You Son of a Bitch". I won't have a whole lot to say during the games.

Mr. Laz 11-16-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 9123009)
Yeah, because Wayne Simien sucked so bad. :rolleyes::spock:

where did i say ANYONE was going to suck?

tuck that tampon string back in and get back to work

Lzen 11-16-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9123125)
I agree with that. But you mentioned his performance last night. When last year against top competition he set the NCAA Tournament record for blocked shots.

If he can continue to be a defensive presence, rebound the ball and score between 10-15 a game, as a fan, I will be content.

Despite what the MU fan thinks, that should be enough to get him an NBA contract. Hell, Ostertag had a decade in the NBA being just that. Of course, I understand that Withey has to get more physical for that to happen.

Buehler445 11-16-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 9123382)
Despite what the MU fan thinks, that should be enough to get him an NBA contract. Hell, Ostertag had a decade in the NBA being just that. Of course, I understand that Withey has to get more physical for that to happen.

OSTERTAG!!! FTMFW

Teams will take dudes on potential. I learned that with Julian Wright. Dude needed to eat about 10 pounds of steak a day, had no shot outside of 15 feet, and had a LOT further to go with physicalness. He was long and could run, that's about it. And he went first round IIRC.

Ceej 11-16-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 9123382)

Oh, he will get a contract based on his size and defensive presence alone.

The MU fan is talking to us like we think he's a world beater and #1 overall pick worthy.

I think Withey is a bench guy in the NBA with some potential offensively, who can rebound and block shots.

Not sure why he keeps talking about Withey and his NBA numbers.

Buehler445 11-16-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9123408)

The MU fan is talking to us like we think he's a world beater and #1 overall pick worthy.

I think Withey is a bench guy in the NBA with some potential offensively, who can rebound and block shots.

Yeah, I don't know of a single KU fan that thinks he is an elite NBA prospect. I think he is basically Aldrich with a little higher ceiling.

Bearcat 11-16-2012 01:09 PM

Well, I do get his point... Withey's stock may never be higher than it was at the end of last season. But, who knows what went on behind the scenes... I'm sure he got a ton of advice on the subject. I assume he was projected to be drafted?

Mr. Laz 11-16-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9123413)
Yeah, I don't know of a single KU fan that thinks he is an elite NBA prospect. I think he is basically Aldrich with a little higher ceiling.

imo Withey will get draft in the 2nd round and sent to the dev league.

I worry about his motivation, he seems to need a pretty regular kick in the ass to keep his energy level up.

Lzen 11-16-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 9123363)
where did i say ANYONE was going to suck?

tuck that tampon string back in and get back to work

Man, are you that slow? I was making an exaggeration to emphasize my point. Simien had sharp fundamentals.

Lzen 11-16-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 9123252)
It seems your argument is impossible to win. You are declaring last year invalid because KU also had Robinson (which makes no sense because everyone else is talking about defense, which Robinson did not affect at all. If you are talking rebounds it makes even less sense because he had to fight with Robinson for all of them). And you will discount any stat from this year that isn’t against Michigan State – and stats are wonderful tools when the sample size is limited as much as possible :rolleyes:

So, cool story bro.

In other words, MUron. :D

CoMoChief 11-16-2012 01:54 PM

jesus...i didn't even know there was a game last night.

Saul Good 11-16-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9123408)

I'm talking about his NBA stock because I said he was dumb for coming back this year. He would have likely been a late (maybe even mid) first round pick. I think it's unlikely that he goes in the first this year.

I don't know why this updates Kansas fans. The team is obviously better off with him.

Ceej 11-16-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Too (Post 9123536)
I'm talking about his NBA stock because I said he was dumb for coming back this year. He would have likely been a late (maybe even mid) first round pick. I think it's unlikely that he goes in the first this year.

I don't know why this updates Kansas fans. The team is obviously better off with him.

I agree with your sentiment regarding Withey and the NBA.

But, you're the one who threw the 6'5" forward jab too.

If you watched Withey last year during the tournament you know he can compete with anyone, from a defensive standpoint.

Saul Good 11-16-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 9123252)

So, cool story bro.

So you don't think Withey had an advantage playing next to Robinson on the defensive end? Robinson was a ****ing load in the paint and on the block. Players had to try to go around him which created the opportunities for Withey to get blocks from the weak side. Robinson could force players a certain direction because he was so damned strong. Perry Ellis can't do that. He isn't physical enough to do what Robinson could do.

As a tall center with good timing but limited athleticism, Withey's best friend on the defensive end is an enormous power forward. Frankly, it didn't hurt having Taylor guarding the point, either. Taylor is so long and quick that he wasn't beat by the first step. If someone got around him, they didn't get free at the three point line. By the time they were past Taylor, Withey was there waiting, and they didn't have room to make a move. He swallowed them up, and he was really good at it.