ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Learning Basic Blackjack Strategy (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=275056)

Archie F. Swin 08-04-2013 07:45 AM

Learning Basic Blackjack Strategy

Does anyone here use an app or website to develop your blackjack game?

PunkinDrublic 08-04-2013 08:01 AM

I wish I had the memory skills to learn to do it.

Ming the Merciless 08-04-2013 10:17 AM

http://www.onlineblackjackreview.com...ingle-deck.gif

an app would be awesome to practice.......but you could just get a deck of cards and use this chart

Ming the Merciless 08-04-2013 10:20 AM

Heres an android app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...JackBeta&hl=en

I didnt test it out, but I will check it out soon

Third Eye 08-04-2013 10:48 AM

For the life of me I've never understood the desire to play a game where the optimal strategy is equivalent to minimizing loss. I guess if you're getting free drinks or some other comps then maybe there is a possibility of a net gain, but it's just not for me.

Ming the Merciless 08-04-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Third Eye (Post 9857497)
For the life of me I've never understood the desire to play a game where the optimal strategy is equivalent to minimizing loss. I guess if you're getting free drinks or some other comps then maybe there is a possibility of a net gain, but it's just not for me.

I'm by no means a player, but if you do basic strategy plus some form of basic running count, it amounts to a net positive (albeit very small), then like you said when you add in comps etc....

But that requires optimal strategy plus more...if you can keep a running count and also insurance count then the net positive becomes a little bigger but to me it is still too small to mess with (as you suggest).

I think some people who are good at keeping the counts just try to grind out a living playing....(I know a guy who did for years) but to me it is a waste because it becomes a job with really long hours that is ultra repetitive. I guess the good thing is you have no boss except the pit boss...

So while I question the 'net less' aspect of your premise..(for those rare people who can do perfect strategy, AND keep 2 counts)..the net gain is way too minimal in terms of a % or $ per hour to bother with unless you are playing with a really big stack.

ANd that doesn't even factor in getting asked to leave once you start making money (which you WILL be asked to leave...and not politely).

Not to mention the margin for error is very slim...if you get distracted or make a mistake you ruin an hour worth of profit...

BlackHelicopters 08-04-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin (Post 9857242)
Does anyone here use an app or website to develop your blackjack game?

Learn to play craps instead

Swanman 08-05-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 9857515)
I'm by no means a player, but if you do basic strategy plus some form of basic running count, it amounts to a net positive (albeit very small), then like you said when you add in comps etc....

But that requires optimal strategy plus more...if you can keep a running count and also insurance count then the net positive becomes a little bigger but to me it is still too small to mess with (as you suggest).

I think some people who are good at keeping the counts just try to grind out a living playing....(I know a guy who did for years) but to me it is a waste because it becomes a job with really long hours that is ultra repetitive. I guess the good thing is you have no boss except the pit boss...

So while I question the 'net less' aspect of your premise..(for those rare people who can do perfect strategy, AND keep 2 counts)..the net gain is way too minimal in terms of a % or $ per hour to bother with unless you are playing with a really big stack.

ANd that doesn't even factor in getting asked to leave once you start making money (which you WILL be asked to leave...and not politely).

Not to mention the margin for error is very slim...if you get distracted or make a mistake you ruin an hour worth of profit...

There are a ton of house rules that have to be in effect for the house advantage to be minimized to a point where you could grind out a gain long-term if you were a proficient counter. A few rules that would need to be in place, off the top of my head:

1. Blackjack pays 3/2
2. Surrender available
3. Dealer stays on soft 17

There are a couple others. If any of those rules go against the player, it adds quite a bit to the house advantage. The worst is blackjack paying 6/5, that adds like 3% to the house advantage by itself.

Ming the Merciless 08-05-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 9859826)
There are a ton of house rules that have to be in effect for the house advantage to be minimized to a point where you could grind out a gain long-term if you were a proficient counter. A few rules that would need to be in place, off the top of my head:

1. Blackjack pays 3/2
2. Surrender available

There are a couple others. If any of those rules go against the player, it adds quite a bit to the house advantage. The worst is blackjack paying 6/5, that adds like 3% to the house advantage by itself.

agreed...

and I would add playing with a single deck.....of course..and being able to double down on splits

but yes, as you mentioned , these things simply HAVE to be there or why bother

not to mention the stack you need to have......(BIG)

not to mention if they get a whiff that youre not handing them money left and right, theyll ask you to leave...

all in all I do not recommend the life...some people love it though

Swanman 08-05-2013 03:51 PM

Best line from Hangover - Counting cards isn't illegal, it's frowned upon.

Archie F. Swin 08-06-2013 04:24 AM

I'll be playing some blackjack this weekend in Oklahoma. I guess the best strategy would be to tell them to take their 50 cent antes and shove therm up their asses.

cosmo20002 08-06-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 9859826)

1. Blackjack pays 3/2
2. Surrender available

Last time I was in Las Vegas I noticed that probably MOST of the lower-dollar games on the Strip (less than min. $25/hand) were the 6/5 BJ payoff. Weekends, even most of the $25/hand games were 6/5. I couldn't believe it--just one day they all decided to change one of the most basic rules in all of gambling. It's ****ing bullshit, but most people don't realize how much difference that rule change makes.

Dayze 08-06-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9862865)
Last time I was in Las Vegas I noticed that probably MOST of the lower-dollar games on the Strip (less than min. $25/hand) were the 6/5 BJ payoff. Weekends, even most of the $25/hand games were 6/5. I couldn't believe it--just one day they all decided to change one of the most basic rules in all of gambling. It's ****ing bullshit, but most people don't realize how much difference that rule change makes.

I'll admit I have no idea what that means.