ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Cinco de Mayo (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=140303)

luv 05-05-2006 12:59 AM

Cinco de Mayo

Once again, a holiday that falls on a work night. If you're going out, have a shot of tequila for me. And be safe.

I like green mexicans (1/2 tequila and 1/2 apple pucker).

Rausch 05-05-2006 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ENDelt260
Cinco de Mayo is an awesome holiday. It celebrates a defeat of the French.

As much as I relish any defeat of the frogs, no it doesn't...

DenverChief 05-05-2006 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch
As much as I relish any defeat of the frogs, no it doesn't...

The 5th of May is not Mexican Independence Day, but it should be! And Cinco de Mayo is not an American holiday, but it should be. Mexico declared its independence from mother Spain on midnight, the 15th of September, 1810. And it took 11 years before the first Spanish soldiers were told and forced to leave Mexico. So, why Cinco de Mayo? And why should Americans savor this day as well? Because 4,000 Mexican soldiers smashed the French and traitor Mexican army of 8,000 at Puebla, Mexico, 100 miles east of Mexico City on the morning of May 5, 1862. The French had landed in Mexico (along with Spanish and English troops) five months earlier on the pretext of collecting Mexican debts from the newly elected government of democratic President (and Indian) Benito Juarez. The English and Spanish quickly made deals and left. The French, however, had different ideas. Under Emperor Napoleon III, who detested the United States, the French came to stay. They brought a Hapsburg prince with them to rule the new Mexican empire. His name was Maximilian; his wife, Carolota. Napoleon's French Army had not been defeated in 50 years, and it invaded Mexico with the finest modern equipment and with a newly reconstituted Foreign Legion. The French were not afraid of anyone, especially since the United States was embroiled in its own Civil War. The French Army left the port of Vera Cruz to attack Mexico City to the west, as the French assumed that the Mexicans would give up should their capital fall to the enemy -- as European countries traditionally did. Under the command of Texas-born General Zaragosa, (and the cavalry under the command of Colonel Porfirio Diaz, later to be Mexico's president and dictator), the Mexicans awaited. Brightly dressed French Dragoons led the enemy columns. The Mexican Army was less stylish. General Zaragosa ordered Colonel Diaz to take his cavalry, the best in the world, out to the French flanks. In response, the French did a most stupid thing; they sent their cavalry off to chase Diaz and his men, who proceeded to butcher them. The remaining French infantrymen charged the Mexican defenders through sloppy mud from a thunderstorm and through hundreds of head of stampeding cattle stirred up by Indians armed only with machetes. When the battle was over, many French were killed or wounded and their cavalry was being chased by Diaz' superb horsemen miles away. The Mexicans had won a great victory that kept Napoleon III from supplying the confederate rebels for another year, allowing the United States to build the greatest army the world had ever seen. This grand army smashed the Confederates at Gettysburg just 14 months after the battle of Puebla, essentially ending the Civil War. Union forces were then rushed to the Texas/Mexican border under General Phil Sheridan, who made sure that the Mexicans got all the weapons and ammunition they needed to expel the French. American soldiers were discharged with their uniforms and rifles if they promised to join the Mexican Army to fight the French. The American Legion of Honor marched in the Victory Parade in Mexico, City. It might be a historical stretch to credit the survival of the United States to those brave 4,000 Mexicans who faced an army twice as large in 1862. But who knows? In gratitude, thousands of Mexicans crossed the border after Pearl Harbor to join the U.S. Armed Forces. As recently as the Persian Gulf War, Mexicans flooded American consulates with phone calls, trying to join up and fight another war for America. Mexicans, you see, never forget who their friends are, and neither do Americans. That's why Cinco de Mayo is such a party -- A party that celebrates freedom and liberty. There are two ideals which Mexicans and Americans have fought shoulder to shoulder to protect, ever since the 5th of May, 1862. VIVA! el CINCO DE MAYO!!

Rausch 05-05-2006 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverChief
The 5th of May is not Mexican Independence Day, but it should be! And Cinco de Mayo is not an American holiday, but it should be. Mexico declared its independence from mother Spain on midnight, the 15th of September, 1810. And it took 11 years before the first Spanish soldiers were told and forced to leave Mexico. So, why Cinco de Mayo? And why should Americans savor this day as well? Because 4,000 Mexican soldiers smashed the French and traitor Mexican army of 8,000 at Puebla, Mexico, 100 miles east of Mexico City on the morning of May 5, 1862. The French had landed in Mexico (along with Spanish and English troops) five months earlier on the pretext of collecting Mexican debts from the newly elected government of democratic President (and Indian) Benito Juarez. The English and Spanish quickly made deals and left. The French, however, had different ideas. Under Emperor Napoleon III, who detested the United States, the French came to stay. They brought a Hapsburg prince with them to rule the new Mexican empire. His name was Maximilian; his wife, Carolota. Napoleon's French Army had not been defeated in 50 years, and it invaded Mexico with the finest modern equipment and with a newly reconstituted Foreign Legion. The French were not afraid of anyone, especially since the United States was embroiled in its own Civil War. The French Army left the port of Vera Cruz to attack Mexico City to the west, as the French assumed that the Mexicans would give up should their capital fall to the enemy -- as European countries traditionally did. Under the command of Texas-born General Zaragosa, (and the cavalry under the command of Colonel Porfirio Diaz, later to be Mexico's president and dictator), the Mexicans awaited. Brightly dressed French Dragoons led the enemy columns. The Mexican Army was less stylish. General Zaragosa ordered Colonel Diaz to take his cavalry, the best in the world, out to the French flanks. In response, the French did a most stupid thing; they sent their cavalry off to chase Diaz and his men, who proceeded to butcher them. The remaining French infantrymen charged the Mexican defenders through sloppy mud from a thunderstorm and through hundreds of head of stampeding cattle stirred up by Indians armed only with machetes. When the battle was over, many French were killed or wounded and their cavalry was being chased by Diaz' superb horsemen miles away. The Mexicans had won a great victory that kept Napoleon III from supplying the confederate rebels for another year, allowing the United States to build the greatest army the world had ever seen. This grand army smashed the Confederates at Gettysburg just 14 months after the battle of Puebla, essentially ending the Civil War. Union forces were then rushed to the Texas/Mexican border under General Phil Sheridan, who made sure that the Mexicans got all the weapons and ammunition they needed to expel the French. American soldiers were discharged with their uniforms and rifles if they promised to join the Mexican Army to fight the French. The American Legion of Honor marched in the Victory Parade in Mexico, City. It might be a historical stretch to credit the survival of the United States to those brave 4,000 Mexicans who faced an army twice as large in 1862. But who knows? In gratitude, thousands of Mexicans crossed the border after Pearl Harbor to join the U.S. Armed Forces. As recently as the Persian Gulf War, Mexicans flooded American consulates with phone calls, trying to join up and fight another war for America. Mexicans, you see, never forget who their friends are, and neither do Americans. That's why Cinco de Mayo is such a party -- A party that celebrates freedom and liberty. There are two ideals which Mexicans and Americans have fought shoulder to shoulder to protect, ever since the 5th of May, 1862. VIVA! el CINCO DE MAYO!!

And it also fails to mention that the Mexicans were defeated.

It's like the bizarro world Alamo: they won the battle but lost the war, we won the war and lost the battle.

Rausch 05-05-2006 01:41 AM

Quote:

Let's get drunk!

Oh, I'm in no way against that.

I'd still be six shades of $#itty today if Meh-he-co was New France, I'm just arguing semanti-.......

Good point...

luv 05-05-2006 01:49 AM

The last thing we need is an ENDelt/Rausch thread.

Actually, that would be funny as hell.

Rausch 05-05-2006 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv
The last thing we need is an ENDelt/Rausch thread.

Actually, that would be funny as hell.

You see that south park episode where Cartman and Kyle fought?

Yeah....

Rausch 05-05-2006 01:53 AM

Quote:

The old ones were.

At least to me. But, I was drunk.

"Before they were Dads," next on The History Channel...

luv 05-05-2006 01:54 AM

Quote:

"Before they were Dads," next on The History Channel...

Now I know I'm missing something.

Rausch 05-05-2006 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv
Now I know I'm missing something.

He's a family guy now, and well, you know I am...

luv 05-05-2006 01:57 AM

Quote:

He's a family guy now, and well, you know I am...

Is he having one of his own?

Delt, are you having one of your own?

Rausch 05-05-2006 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv
Is he having one of his own?

Hopefully it's possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv
Delt, are you having one of your own?

Lets hope not.

I thought she had kids, making our situations similar...

luv 05-05-2006 01:59 AM

Quote:

Hopefully it's possible.

Lets hope not.

I thought she had kids, making our situations similar...

Okay. Just wanted to make sure. Wouldn't that be the rumor to start!

chefsos 05-05-2006 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv
Okay. Just wanted to make sure. Wouldn't that be the rumor to start!

Might as well run with it. You think ENDelt's the type to squash a good rumor, even if it's about him? Hell, especially if it's about him?

Rausch 05-05-2006 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefsos
Might as well run with it. You think ENDelt's the type to squash a good rumor, even if it's about him? Hell, especially if it's about him?

I've found there's no statute of limitations on bastard children...

luv 05-05-2006 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefsos

I work in a production setting. Rumors get out faster than the work does. I've been the brunt of too much of that type of stuff to start it on anyone else.

Rausch 05-05-2006 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv
I work in a production setting. Rumors get out faster than the work does. I've been the brunt of too much of that type of stuff to start it on anyone else.

So you WILL blow a guy standing on yer head while wearing bunny ears?...

4th and Long 05-05-2006 03:56 AM

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/9...odemayo3ls.gifhttp://img218.imageshack.us/img218/9...odemayo3ls.gifhttp://img218.imageshack.us/img218/9...odemayo3ls.gifhttp://img218.imageshack.us/img218/9...odemayo3ls.gif

Rausch 05-05-2006 04:53 AM

The longer I think about it the less the semantics maatter.

You know what?

The Mexi's kicked the frogs off the shore for one day.

Honestly, that's all the reason I need to laugh my ass off and drink all day...

luv 05-05-2006 10:41 AM

Quote:

The longer I think about it the less the semantics maatter.

You know what?

The Mexi's kicked the frogs off the shore for one day.

Honestly, that's all the reason I need to laugh my ass off and drink all day...

Like you need another reason to do that.

BIG_DADDY 05-05-2006 11:22 AM

Amatuers night out. I have a hall pass too lil momma is out of town. I'll be staying home doing my partying there.

luv 05-05-2006 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY
Amatuers night out. I have a hall pass too lil momma is out of town. I'll be staying home doing my partying there.

LOL

I live in a "college town". Every night is amateur night. I prefer staying home, or at a friend's place, so I don't have to worry about driving.

BIG_DADDY 05-05-2006 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv
LOL

I live in a "college town". Every night is amateur night. I prefer staying home, or at a friend's place, so I don't have to worry about driving.

Not out chasing that young meat huh?

Rooster 05-05-2006 12:16 PM

!!!!HAPPY CINCO DE MAYO!!!

A little bit of history that we didn't know about.

Most people don't know that back in 1912, Hellmann's mayonnaise was

manufactured in England.

In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment

scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next

port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York.

This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever

delivered to Mexico.

But as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York.

The ship hit an iceberg and sank, and the cargo was forever lost.

The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise, and were

eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss.

Their anguish was so great, that they declared a National Day of

Mourning, which they still observe to this day.

The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5th and is

known, of course, as Sinko de Mayo. :p

kaplin42 05-05-2006 12:19 PM

Quote:

I prefer staying home, or at a friend's place
Can I be your friend? :hump:

luv 05-05-2006 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42
Can I be your friend? :hump:

Sorry, that role is currently filled. :)

KCChiefsMan 05-05-2006 12:28 PM

well I'm gonna drink tonight

luv 05-05-2006 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY
Not out chasing that young meat huh?

What odd about this place is that everything usually happens on Wed, Thurs and Fri nights. Considering I work second shift M-F, I miss out on stuff like that. By the time Saturday gets here, my friends are usually too tired from the rest of the week to go out. I tell them that they're getting old.

BIG_DADDY 05-05-2006 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv
What odd about this place is that everything usually happens on Wed, Thurs and Fri nights. Considering I work second shift M-F, I miss out on stuff like that. By the time Saturday gets here, my friends are usually too tired from the rest of the week. I tell them that they're getting old.

NICE!!

sedated 05-05-2006 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv

I thought you were gonna keep our encounters on the DL

:p

luv 05-05-2006 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated
I thought you were gonna keep our encounters on the DL

:p

You must not be that good. I don't remember them.

:)

Fire Me Boy! 05-05-2006 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv

You can always use more friends.

chagrin 05-05-2006 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!
You can always use more friends.

I agree, there are always more holes, I mean roles, to fill luv...giggitty-goo!!

chagrin 05-05-2006 02:15 PM

And Happy Cinco Da Mayo people, enjoy your Hellmann's

http://www.hellmanns.com/hell_images/RealJar.jpg

BWillie 05-05-2006 03:04 PM

It's gonna be drinko de Mayo for me.

fan4ever 05-05-2006 03:34 PM

I don't give a crap about Mexico, but I do give a crap about margaritas. Anyone have a killer recipe for a good margarita? Any exotic recipes, unusual flavors? Seriously?

Chief Henry 05-05-2006 03:37 PM

"Alice" from the brady Bunch turns 80 today.

Ann B. Davis was so funny on that show. Did
she ever win any awards for her role on the Brady Bunch ?

Nzoner 05-05-2006 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan4ever
I don't give a crap about Mexico, but I do give a crap about margaritas. Anyone have a killer recipe for a good margarita? Any exotic recipes, unusual flavors? Seriously?

The following is courtesy of our very own Dartgod,and yes I've had them,they are delicious.

This is to make one large pitcher or jug:

A good premium tequila. Herradura, Patron, El Tesoro, etc. I use half of a 750ml bottle per jug

One full 750ml bottle of Jose Cuervo Marg Mix (non alcoholic)

Grand Marnier. This is where it gets tough. I probably pour approx. 3 shots per jug...maybe a little more.

Bacardi O Rum. About 1-1/2 to 2 shots

Orange juice. 1/2 of one of those individual milk carton like containers

Mix it all up and taste. It shouldn't be too tart. If it is, I usually add a little more Grand Marnier, orange juice or tequila. You can never have too much tequila...lol

Katipan 05-05-2006 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan4ever

Have you had a prickly pear margarita yet?

Nzoner 05-05-2006 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katipan

Doesn't sound like something I'll be asking the bartender for tonight.

Rain Man 05-05-2006 04:53 PM

My wife made an interesting point today. She mentioned that the Mexicans celebrating Cinco De Mayo today are essentially the same population that the Irish were 100 years ago when they were celebrating St. Patrick's Day. Both holidays involve a lot of national pride among a group that came to the U.S. as a low socioeconomic group that was not particularly welcomed by much of society. She wondered if Cinco De Mayo will essentially become an Americanized holiday over the next 100 years, so that everyone eventually celebrates it and wears "Kiss Me! I'm Mexican!" pins and stuff.

I thought it was an interesting observation.

Katipan 05-05-2006 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner 338
Doesn't sound like something I'll be asking the bartender for tonight.

its a reeruned scottsdale thing.

HEY! There's a cactus! Let's tap it.

Bob Dole 05-05-2006 05:05 PM

Quote:

I don't think anyone's going to believe I'm Mexican.

We have a difficult enough time believing that you're human.

Katipan 05-05-2006 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole
We have a difficult enough time believing that you're human.

Please stop calling him God-like. His neck is really puny for such a big head.

Bob Dole 05-05-2006 05:09 PM

Quote:

Please stop calling him God-like. His neck is really puny for such a big head.

Do you have to wear a coat all the time?

That snow job he's pulled on you is a dandy.

Katipan 05-05-2006 05:10 PM

He writes me poetry about daisies.

fan4ever 05-05-2006 06:03 PM

Quote:

No, that's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. Sorry for so late of a response...got interupted.

fan4ever 05-05-2006 06:05 PM

Quote:

The following is courtesy of our very own Dartgod,and yes I've had them,they are delicious.

A good premium tequila. Herradura, Patron, El Tesoro, etc. I use half of a 750ml bottle per jug

Grand Marnier. This is where it gets tough. I probably pour approx. 3 shots per jug...maybe a little more.

Mix it all up and taste. It shouldn't be too tart. If it is, I usually add a little more Grand Marnier, orange juice or tequila. You can never have too much tequila...lol

fan4ever 05-05-2006 06:07 PM

Quote:

On the rocks, right? This sounds great, and this is how I like to make drinks; big ass portions. Thanks, I will try it!

ChiefsFire 05-05-2006 07:52 PM

Quote:

He writes me poetry about daisies.

yea well

newsflash babe...i write all of it for him

badgirl 05-05-2006 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFire
yea well

newsflash babe...i write all of it for him

"You ant no daisey" :p

teedubya 05-05-2006 08:03 PM

I dont know much about Cinco de Mayo, but Margaritas and Latinas are delicious.

luv 05-05-2006 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badgirl
"You ant no daisey" :p

Whoa! Didn't you say you weren't coming back?

Halfcan 05-06-2006 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv
Whoa! Didn't you say you weren't coming back?

I thought that was Cochiefs?

luv 05-06-2006 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan
I thought that was Cochiefs?

She started this thread a few days ago that said that, out of respect for stumppy, she wasn't coming back here. Now, here she is. I wonder how many times she'll leave?

Nzoner 05-06-2006 08:29 AM

Quote:

Why not? Sounds like it'd be right up your alley. I'm sure they can make it frozen and with a paper umbrella if you ask 'em.

I've changed my ways,I seriously can't remember the last time I had a frozen drink.Margaritas on the rocks however are still at the top of my list.

chief52 05-06-2006 08:55 AM

Quote:

I've changed my ways,I seriously can't remember the last time I had a frozen drink.Margaritas on the rocks however are still at the top of my list.

Margarita on the rocks would probably go real smooth with a cookie...

Nzoner 05-06-2006 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chief52
Margarita on the rocks would probably go real smooth with a cookie...

As I recall they did

luv 05-07-2006 11:06 PM

Quote:

I was watching a BBQ rib cook-off on Food Network last night. One of the guys was telling some of the SW ingredients he uses in his sauce, and he said one of them was prickly pear juice.