ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Italian Sausage (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=237311)

Dinny Bossa Nova 11-25-2010 08:52 AM

Italian Sausage

I am going to SAUTO'S on Saturday for a rearend swap. (no homo) Decided to make one or two of those bacon explosions.

The recipe calls for Italian sausage, and I have never bought any that I liked. I decided to make some of my own because that's just the kind of SOB I am.

Cubed up 5 pounds of loin roast (so it will be lean) and threw it in a bag with the seasonings to macerate in the frigidaire overnight. It smelled SOOO good when I was mixing it up that my mouth was watering.

Gonna grind it today and roll up a couple explosions tomorrow to smoke at SAUTO'S on Saturday.

What kind of smoking chips should I use? I'll be using my Weber grill with briquettes and lump. Available choices of smoking chips are limited to; hickory, mesquite, apple, cherry or maple. Willing to mix and match.

TIA, sorry if repost and Happy Turkey Day.

Dinny

Shogun 11-25-2010 08:53 AM

Apple or Cherry are both wonderful when cooking the explosion

Buehler445 11-25-2010 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinny Blues (Post 7196974)
I am going to SAUTO'S on Saturday for a rearend swap. (no homo) Decided to make one or two of those bacon explosions.

The recipe calls for Italian sausage, and I have never bought any that I liked. I decided to make some of my own because that's just the kind of SOB I am.

Cubed up 5 pounds of loin roast (so it will be lean) and threw it in a bag with the seasonings to macerate in the frigidaire overnight. It smelled SOOO good when I was mixing it up that my mouth was watering.

Gonna grind it today and roll up a couple explosions tomorrow to smoke at SAUTO'S on Saturday.

What kind of smoking chips should I use? I'll be using my Weber grill with briquettes and lump. Available choices of smoking chips are limited to; hickory, mesquite, apple, cherry or maple. Willing to mix and match.

TIA, sorry if repost and Happy Turkey Day.

Dinny

Sounds out-****ing-STANDING. I typically use 1/2 hickory/apple.

Dinny Bossa Nova 11-25-2010 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun (Post 7196977)
Apple or Cherry are both wonderful when cooking the explosion

i was leaning toward apple. That's what I used on the andouille and it turned out great. I recently found a source for cherry and maple, so I don't have much experience with them. Love the cherry and maple on poultry.

Dinny

Buehler445 11-25-2010 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinny Blues (Post 7196984)
i was leaning toward apple. That's what I used on the andouille and it turned out great. I recently found a source for cherry and maple, so I don't have much experience with them. Love the cherry and maple on poultry.

Dinny

In my experience, Cherry cooks a lot like apple.

Fire Me Boy! 11-25-2010 09:51 AM

I'd do a 2:1 mix of apple or cherry with hickory.

And just a nitpicky curmudgeonly thing: to macerate is to soften in a liquid, usually done with fruit. I don't think you intended to soften the meat, so I'm guessing you meant marinate, which infuses with flavor and seasons, as well as sometimes tenderizes meat.

Dinny Bossa Nova 11-25-2010 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 7197037)
I'd do a 2:1 mix of apple or cherry with hickory.

And just a nitpicky curmudgeonly thing: to macerate is to soften in a liquid, usually done with fruit. I don't think you intended to soften the meat, so I'm guessing you meant marinate, which infuses with flavor and seasons, as well as sometimes tenderizes meat.

I am aware of the word choice. Macerating just sounds like more fun than marinating.

I'm a fun guy. With two n's.

Funn

Dinny

SAUTO 11-25-2010 10:19 AM

this the most excited i've ever been about a rear end swap in my life. cant wait.

no homo:p

Dinny Bossa Nova 11-25-2010 10:22 AM

I'm hoping to have a pound or so of sausage left over for a pizza.

My bread machine makes pretty good pizza dough. I have a big-ass cast iron skillet to bake it in.

Now I want pizza, and all I got is this big ol' turkey breast I smoked yesterday.

Dinny

Dinny Bossa Nova 11-25-2010 10:28 AM

HEY SAUTO!!!!!

Do you think we will need one or two of those bad boys?

I'm guessing that one will feed 4 or 5 people? I was planning on bringing two with some slaw and beans for sides.

My better half is bringing some of her Texas cornbread.

Want to have plenty for everyone.

Dinny

Buehler445 11-25-2010 10:33 AM

Where are you guys having this? I think I want to come. :D
Posted via Mobile Device

Dinny Bossa Nova 11-25-2010 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 7197087)
Where are you guys having this? I think I want to come. :D
Posted via Mobile Device

Only Pioli knows for sure. You'll have to ask him.

Dinny

SAUTO 11-25-2010 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinny Blues (Post 7197080)
HEY SAUTO!!!!! Do you think we will need one or two of those bad boys? I'm guessing that one will feed 4 or 5 people? I was planning on bringing two with some slaw and beans for sides. My better half is bringing some of her Texas cornbread. Want to have plenty for everyone. Dinny

i think 2 will be fine. never know who may show around here. lol
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO 11-25-2010 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinny Blues (Post 7197095)
Only Pioli knows for sure. You'll have to ask him. Dinny

yep and who are we to question the executive of the decade?
Posted via Mobile Device

Buck 11-25-2010 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinny Blues (Post 7197095)
Only Pioli knows for sure. You'll have to ask him.

Dinny

LOOK FOR THE PIOLI SIGNS!

Damn I wish I could have a Bacon Explosion