ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Do we have any OTR drivers here? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267935)

BigMeatballDave 12-22-2012 06:15 PM

Do we have any OTR drivers here?

I'm looking into getting my CDL.

There is a CDL training school just a few miles from me.

I've been a CNC Machinist for years and I'm sick of the lack of job security.

I'm 42 and I need something with solid job security.

I think R8ers drives for FedEx, right?

Bowser 12-22-2012 06:16 PM

What are you looking for, specifically? A road job that takes you all over the country, or just a city job where you're home every night?

BigMeatballDave 12-22-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9232929)
What are you looking for, specifically? A road job that takes you all over the country, or just a city job where you're home every night?

All over for a while to get the experience, and earn the most money.

Dayze 12-22-2012 06:20 PM

I considered it a while back and if I recall, all the good local jobs usually require 2yrs exp. from what I gathered , I would need to do OTR for 2 yrs before I could consider the local gigs.

Of course that's just my take. R8rs would have more accurate info I think.

Bowser 12-22-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9232938)
All over for a while to get the experience, and earn the most money.

To earn the most money it would depend on who you work for. If you're a n00b driver, they would most likely send you out as part of a team; one guys drives, the other sleeps, and so on and so on. DOT rules state that a driver can only stay in the seat for 11 hours at a time.

Driving in town can give you great experience as far as dealing with traffic and other drivers. Even staying in the yard and shifting trailers can help give you a feel of pulling that long assed shit. But after a time, driving tractor and trailer is no different than driving your car, at least comfort wise when you're behind the wheel.

Unsmooth-Moment 12-22-2012 06:36 PM

Go for it. Trucking has a good upside for your take home pay. You can make a lot of money if you are dedicated to your business. I work for a trucking company internally and there is always a need for more drivers.

Bwana 12-22-2012 06:36 PM

I know OverHead did before he got into another gig.

BigMeatballDave 12-22-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9232957)
To earn the most money it would depend on who you work for. If you're a n00b driver, they would most likely send you out as part of a team; one guys drives, the other sleeps, and so on and so on. DOT rules state that a driver can only stay in the seat for 11 hours at a time.

Driving in town can give you great experience as far as dealing with traffic and other drivers. Even staying in the yard and shifting trailers can help give you a feel of pulling that long assed shit. But after a time, driving tractor and trailer is no different than driving your car, at least comfort wise when you're behind the wheel.

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to ride with someone I don't know for a month, but I'll deal with it.

I have driven a tractor trailer before, briefly. 10 yrs ago, a buddy of mine was driving and I went out on the road with him for a few weeks. There was more than a little anxiety when I did it. That was the 1st time I had ever been behind the wheel. I lost contact with him a few yrs ago. He would be a lot of help right now.

ROYC75 12-22-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9232957)

This, most schools will offer placement if you score high enough you get the better jobs.

Use to be some companies did their own schooling and hiring but many drivers quit after a few weeks on the road leaving an expense that didn't meet the break even part of placement.

Be prepared to be a driver in training during school and a co-driver with a lead driver teaching and giving additional training for at least 6 months to a year.

Once on your own, you have more freedom of your own rig with an excellent view of the country. A few things to keep in mind here for your advancement and pay .....

Flatbed or step drivers generally pay a driver more per load /per mile than the vans or reefer units do. How ever, if getting paid by the mile the average of miles is usually lower per week. You get tarp pay to do the extra physical work, of which usually sucks since most of companies do not pay enough for tarping, but some do.

Heavy haul / over dimensional is where you can make really good money per load basis. But you can run into a lot of idle time.

Heavy haul / O.D. and tanker require brains and common sense approach. There are many things to consider at all times with your load and the experience drivers get paid more money for their wisdom.

Van drivers and reefer drivers ( with the bigger companies )generally have longer runs which allows you to load and travel farther between points that allows you to turn more miles per week. But keep in mind the new DOT & CVSA rules suck, keeps drivers from working or driving more miles with tighter regulations. Many companies allow team drivers with vans & reefers which allows you to turn 5 to 6 K miles ( + ) per week ( per team ). If you do not get hung out on either coast you'll turn some miles.

Tanker drivers get paid really well, depending on what you haul. If you are good enough with the experience, being able to handle hazmat loads are very good paying jobs. But you have to know and handle the safety aspects of it. When I was younger I make very good money doing this.

Easy loaded flatbed, van, reefer require just a basic common sense approach person behind the wheel. Most of the bad truckers or the perception of truckers come from most of these drivers. If you are of level headed, be prepared to be lumped into this class of driver. When I took over as GM foe a company, I had the fleet owner once told me that the only reason a guy would drive a truck is he can't hold down a real job. I told him with reasoning like this he will be short a lot of drivers really quick.

Honestly, If I was to go back to driving, I would look at the JB Hunts, Schneider's, Werner's will get you some good experience and plenty of miles quickly. If you score well go with them, better pay & benefits.

If possible later you can get with one of the LTL outfits, go with them and be home more often.

I've done flats, steps, Heavy haul, O.D., tanker, LTL , grain hoppers, end dumps,vans and reefer.

Good Luck!

KCFaninSEA 12-22-2012 07:59 PM

Many local p&d companies will hire you with little experience. The philosophy is that they can train you their way before you pick up bad habits. Question is, are they hiring? If you go that route union companies are best. The pay between non union and union is usually similar but the union companies usually have a much better benefit package. The non union companies will provide the benefits but want you to pay a few hundred bucks a month for the medical. Union companies also usually have a true multi employer pension plan which is far superior to most 401k plans.

Mr. Flopnuts 12-22-2012 08:04 PM

They don't make shit anymore. I looked into it, and actually did the trucking school with a company in Springfield. It is garbage ass money. I mean, shit. You won't make 40k your first couple of years, and you'll only get close if you roll. You don't make shit when those tires aren't rolling. Don't shoot the messenger. Long haul trucking has been ruined. Too many people willing to do it for shitty, shitty, money.

ROYC75 12-22-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCFaninSEA (Post 9233109)
Many local p&d companies will hire you with little experience. The philosophy is that they can train you their way before you pick up bad habits. Question is, are they hiring? If you go that route union companies are best. The pay between non union and union is usually similar but the union companies usually have a much better benefit package. The non union companies will provide the benefits but want you to pay a few hundred bucks a month for the medical. Union companies also usually have a true multi employer pension plan which is far superior to most 401k plans.

Insurance companies are setting the bar high on hiring, even local union jobs. No experience or lack of recent experience and the rates rise dramatically, thus leaving companies to hire drivers with recent experience of at least 2 years recent.

ROYC75 12-22-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9233119)
They don't make shit anymore. I looked into it, and actually did the trucking school with a company in Springfield. It is garbage ass money. I mean, shit. You won't make 40k your first couple of years, and you'll only get close if you roll. You don't make shit when those tires aren't rolling. Don't shoot the messenger. Long haul trucking has been ruined. Too many people willing to do it for shitty, shitty, money.

Taking away tariffs allow cut throat rates, less profit and less driver pay.

Reason you see the tide shifting in trucking.

Chieftain58 12-22-2012 08:17 PM

FedEx is a great company, 4 different Divisions FedEx Freight, Ground, Express and Services... I love working for Freight pay is exceptional and the benefits are awesome as well!!

Unsmooth-Moment 12-22-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

What division was that in? Also, what time of the year did you do the school? There are high/low volume seasons in trucking. A driver should be able to clear 40k relatively easy. What a lot of people don't understand is that if they go lease a truck from a third party they can make more money. If you lease from the company you work for, you are likely paying a marked up price. Become an owner op and you can make pretty good money.

Bowser 12-22-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unsmooth-Moment (Post 9233156)
What division was that in? Also, what time of the year did you do the school? There are high/low volume seasons in trucking. A driver should be able to clear 40k relatively easy. What a lot of people don't understand is that if they go lease a truck from a third party they will make a lot more money. If you lease from the company you work for, you are likely paying a marked up price. Become an owner op and you can make pretty good money.

Up until your rig breaks down, so I'm told.

Unsmooth-Moment 12-22-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9233161)
Up until your rig breaks down, so I'm told.

I hear you. There are definte risks in trucking, but for people with a strong work ethic who understand electronic logs and can keep their fuel efficiency in check, you can make good money.

Randallflagg 12-22-2012 08:30 PM

For what it's worth, I began driving about 30 years ago. Started out OTR, did that for a year and then took a job with a local grocery company. Teamsters job. Great benefits and the pay was fairly decent. Usually made around $55,000 a year and some years made $60-65 a year.

I will caution you about OTR work, however. As a rookie, look to get screwed a great deal. You, for the most part, won't get enough miles to make a decent wage, OR, they'll work you like a dog for little or less money. He'll, look at it as a way to get the experience to work for a company like Yellow, UPS, or any number of local companies.

The other thing I would caution you about is if you are running OTR, look to be gone for several weeks at a time, so if you are prone to "homesickness", you might want to look elsewhere...

Good Luck to you!!

KCFaninSEA 12-22-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYC75 (Post 9233121)
Insurance companies are setting the bar high on hiring, even local union jobs. No experience or lack of recent experience and the rates rise dramatically, thus leaving companies to hire drivers with recent experience of at least 2 years recent.

Many of the big companies are self insured so that doesn't matter.

KCFaninSEA 12-22-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

It was called deregulation and it has slowly destroyed an industry that once was a great way for a non college educated type to raise a family with one income. Now without the industry being regulated it is a race to the bottom.

BigMeatballDave 12-22-2012 11:16 PM

Some good info in here.

Thanks.

Buehler445 12-23-2012 12:27 AM

I always see some trailers around advertising for a company that pays all training and licensing. I can't remember the name FFS, but they're out there.

My cousin does this and makes a hell of a lot more money than I do. I think he owns his truck and contracts with a logistics company. Last I knew he was hauling bulls. I think he was hauling corn down and DDGs back at one point.

Actually driving the truck is pretty easy unless you have an unbalanced load or liquid. It is the ****ing regulation that is a PIA. Fortunately I don't have to **** with it much.

ROYC75 12-23-2012 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCFaninSEA (Post 9233202)
It was called deregulation and it has slowly destroyed an industry that once was a great way for a non college educated type to raise a family with one income. Now without the industry being regulated it is a race to the bottom.

Yep, 1977 was the start of the downward spiral.

Mr. Flopnuts 12-23-2012 05:04 AM

There are trucking companies that will train you, and pay for your CDL licensing, they'll even give you just enough to live off of while you are training. You just have to work for them for a year, and it's totally free. That's what I did. I was lucky too, I lived local to the trucking company, so I was home every single night. Long ass day, but I was home and slept in my own bed. Problem is, the trainer I got was a **** up. And the guy who was my boss and controlled the routing was best friends with this guy. Yeah, luckily I'm a smart enough guy that I was able to muscle my way through it, but I'm telling you, go this route and you are STUCK with the guy who trains you, and you're pretty much his bitch.

So, you have more leverage if you come up with your own CDL, but if you don't feel like paying 4-5k, there are alternatives. If you want some, I'll list some companies that will train you.

rtmike 12-23-2012 05:08 AM

I started out in the oil patch in western Kansas as a swamper, worked my way up to my 1st road truck, eventually the #2 tandem driver.
My 1st couple years driving were without a chauffeurs license since you had to be 21. It was quite comical when I went to the DOT to get my license. The instructor asked where I had been obviously driving & I said backroads of Nebraska. Didn't matter, he abruptly instructed me to turn around chewing my ass out all the way back to the office (we only made it about a mile). No highway driving, nothing. Got my license & a free ass chewing.
Sounds like an exaggeration but it's true.

The US made up with OPEC & the patch bottomed out. I took that experience & went to work for Roadrunner Trucking pulling flatbed. I averaged close to150k miles a year with a 68mph top speed sometimes 62. Of course I sometimes ran 3 logbooks. I'm sure it helped that I had a good attitude, kept my truck looking immaculate & never, ever sat to wait on loads. I think the most I waited was 2 days.

To make any money, you have to keep your door closed & stay out of the truck stops. Most of the time I'd turn my CB off when stopping for fuel.
It helps if you're single as well. Also if you are married, you need to be able to have undying faith in your wife that she won't be sleeping with your best friend.
Taking your wife or a loved one with you isn't always such a good idea. For 24/7 weeks on end you're less than 10' from that other person. Maybe it's just me, but even loved ones' get on my nerves.

Another thing...you can take your driving experience & move up the ladder into other trades. I fell in lust with a cocktail waitress @ Jubitz Truck Stop in Portland. I moved up here & the lust wore off after about 4 months.

So I ended up hauling lumber for an outfit with chromed up beautiful trucks for a couple years.
I left there & went to work for a heavy haul outfit for right at 2 years. Sometimes I would haul cranes for this local crane rental outfit, sometimes a week straight of just scattering cranes. Anyhoots, they offered to bring me in as a journeyman.
So I changed trades somewhat. I went to work as a crane oiler on a P & H lattice boom crane. The money & hours were over twice what I had previously made. We were able to have a house built a mile from the hospital (where my wife still works), & I was able to step up with my classic car ownership.
I was with the crane rental outfit for 10 years when I had my 2nd new crane. This one was a 3.2 million $$ big mobile hydraulic crane.
Last month would have been 19 years with them. I never planned on quitting & loved my job. And then Nov. 28, 2003 I chased after a friend who had just sprayed me with sand over a widow's peak & paralyzed myself. :grr:

Sorry so long. My point being, this all started from my decision to give driving/oil patch a try for a year or so, then make up my mind what I wanted to be when I grew up & start college.

Good luck.

R8RFAN 12-23-2012 05:14 AM

No to truck driving school, try to get on working the dock at Fedex Freight, tell them you are interested in the driver apprentice program.

There are many highly qualified drivers out of work so your chances of landing a decent job as a driver is slim at best, sure there are plenty of Swift Jobs but they pay peanuts.

Truckload pay Sucks LTL Freight is where the money is.

Mr. Flopnuts 12-23-2012 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9233779)
No to truck driving school, try to get on working the dock at Fedex Freight, tell them you are interested in the driver apprentice program.

There are many highly qualified drivers out of work so your chances of landing a decent job as a driver is slim at best, sure there are plenty of Swift Jobs but they pay peanuts.

Truckload pay Sucks LTL Freight is where the money is.

If I were to ever get back into trucking, this is the 1st guy I'd go too, and I probably wouldn't need to go any further.

R8RFAN 12-23-2012 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9233783)
If I were to ever get back into trucking, this is the 1st guy I'd go too, and I probably wouldn't need to go any further.

Why thank you Mr Flopnuts, one more thing to add, do not believe anything a recruiter tells you, they are all liars....

Fedex Freight is not the only job out there by no means, your best bet in Florida is to become a city driver, lots goes into Fla but not much good paying freight goes out.

Check UPS Freight, Fedex freight, Estes, Con-way, Anywhere you can get your foot in the door...

It's very easy to get a shit job, about all you have to have is a pulse, we call it meat in the seat, so don't think you are special if you get lots of offers from the bottom feeders... If you decide to go to a bottom feeder you will basically live in that truck, you will wait at truck stops on your own time for loads that may not come for a couple of days, recruiters will not admit this, they are paid to get you in the door. All recruiters are liars, always remember this.

Work the dock until you get your shot in LTL, it's hard work sometimes but it will pay off bigtime in the long run... + no tickets or bs like that... If you ever had a DUI or a Felony, don't even waste your time.

If you are in good shape and young, Throwing Groceries is not a bad gig, the work is demanding but it pays good... Throwing groceries is delivering food and supplies to restaurants (sysco, pfg etc.)

bevischief 12-23-2012 08:21 AM

They don't have enough CDL truck drivers up here.

Over-Head 12-23-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 9232967)
I know OverHead did before he got into another gig.

Indeed I did Greg 2.6 million miles in 12 and a half years as an Owner Operator delivering to every damn nook and cranny of North America you can think of.
And YES, I've also run the "Ice Roads" in Alaska, Yukon, and NWT.
Flats, drops, double drops, trombones, step's, tanks, rocky mt doubles, Super B's, quads, boosters, vans, reefers, ...Just about ANY kind of trailer you can think of.
And as far as loads, just about every size/weight imagionable.

One of my more scarier moments was when some nut job in gold Vett past me on an off ramp out side of Billings one night :doh!:

My advice a rookie starting out, let the "big" company pay for the mistakes your abbout to make...(and you will) Like Schnider or J.B Hunt. Get about 6months to a year with them, then go for a smaller better paying private carrier.

Scorp 12-23-2012 08:32 AM

This in my opinion is a terrible career path to take. Recruiters will lie to you about everything to get you to sign on.

#1 You wont make near what they say you will.
#2 You will be treated like shit from your employer.
#3 You will be treated like shit from the people you deliver to.
#4 You will be treated like shit from other drivers on the road.
#5 This career is really detrimental to your health. (You are sitting behind a wheel not getting any physical activity for 8 plus hours at a time damn near every day.)

My advice, avoid this career at all cost.

I am employed by the largest Trucking Company in the United States and I hate every minute of every day, but hey at least I have a job in this shitty economy right? That is what I have to tell myself every day to get up and go to work.

BigMeatballDave 12-23-2012 09:12 AM

Well, shit.

Some of this is very disappointing.

I'm currently sponging unemployment. If I go to this local school, it will be funded by the state. Polk Co. in Florida, "Polk Works", has a program for unemployed people that pay for this. I'll find out more about it Wednesday.

headsnap 12-23-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9233916)
Well, shit.

I'm currently sponging unemployment. If I go to this local school, it will be funded by the state. Polk Co. in Florida, "Polk Works", has a program for unemployed people that pay for this. I'll find out more about it Wednesday.

this might cheer you up a bit though, a slice of life on the road...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/k-Cvgm7Fp8w?list=UUi2KNss4Yx73NG0JARSFe0A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

R8RFAN 12-23-2012 09:22 AM

Ok ... Hell with it...

I really never cared to post this anywhere but I am the owner of Truckingboards.com We have 32k members there & well over a million posts, actually way more than that over the years because I torched the place by accident in 2006. We have been online since 1999. I personally have 26 years in the LTL business with 16+ years in a row safe driving, I have been in one accident that was my fault involving another vehicle in 26 years. No Injuries

at Truckingboards there are thousands of years of experience, if you want the truth then go there and register and ask... You may not get the answer you want but it will save you a bunch of time in the future.

ROYC75 12-23-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Over-Head (Post 9233849)
Indeed I did Greg 2.6 million miles in 12 and a half years as an Owner Operator delivering to every damn nook and cranny of North America you can think of.
And YES, I've also run the "Ice Roads" in Alaska, Yukon, and NWT.
Flats, drops, double drops, trombones, step's, tanks, rocky mt doubles, Super B's, quads, boosters, vans, reefers, ...Just about ANY kind of trailer you can think of.
And as far as loads, just about every size/weight imagionable.

One of my more scarier moments was when some nut job in gold Vett past me on an off ramp out side of Billings one night :doh!:

My advice a rookie starting out, let the "big" company pay for the mistakes your abbout to make...(and you will) Like Schnider or J.B Hunt. Get about 6months to a year with them, then go for a smaller better paying private carrier.

This is the ticket. They will take you, you can get the training, some experience and move on.

If you want to stay local, get the experience as stated above, hook up with your local LTL carriers. I worked as a casual on the dock for Yellow in Lenexa and also Bowman in the est bottoms before getting day time PU & DU. That took me to a run to Memphis, then pulled triples & doubles to Wichita.

You can work your way to what you want, have to be patient and put in your time.

OverHead, I always wanted to take a trip to Alaska & the NW when I was on the road. I use to run Toronto weekly when pulling a tanker back in 1989.

Like you, some of the truck driving stories I can tell is just nuts.

Dave, one guy mentioned keeping the left hand door closed ..... This is important. Do not let the truck stop beauties and game rooms consume you and your quest to make money.

ROYC75 12-23-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorp (Post 9233858)
This in my opinion is a terrible career path to take. Recruiters will lie to you about everything to get you to sign on.

#1 You wont make near what they say you will.
#2 You will be treated like shit from your employer.
#3 You will be treated like shit from the people you deliver to.
#4 You will be treated like shit from other drivers on the road.
#5 This career is really detrimental to your health. (You are sitting behind a wheel not getting any physical activity for 8 plus hours at a time damn near every day.)

My advice, avoid this career at all cost.

I am employed by the largest Trucking Company in the United States and I hate every minute of every day, but hey at least I have a job in this shitty economy right? That is what I have to tell myself every day to get up and go to work.

Not sure why you have this perception but not all trucking companies are the same dude. Just because you have / had a bad experience with one or said company does not make them all evil.

Are you a company driver or are you an owner operator? If you have the experience, you can be very selective with who you work for. With the shortage of drivers in the country, if you are not a seat jumper you can find a job anywhere. Bigger companies do let you get lost within the numbers but smaller companies are more personal and family oriented.

Crap, for that matter I have a truck that is empty and can be put on the road within a week.

If you are worth your weight in salt, the pay will be there.

ROYC75 12-23-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9233916)
Well, shit.

Dave, you mentioned you had some previous experience but not a lot ?

Flatbed or van ?

ROYC75 12-23-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9233928)
Ok ... Hell with it...

I really never cared to post this anywhere but I am the owner of Truckingboards.com We have 32k members there & well over a million posts, actually way more than that over the years because I torched the place by accident in 2006. We have been online since 1999. I personally have 26 years in the LTL business with 16+ years in a row safe driving, I have been in one accident that was my fault involving another vehicle in 26 years. No Injuries

at Truckingboards there are thousands of years of experience, if you want the truth then go there and register and ask... You may not get the answer you want but it will save you a bunch of time in the future.

Who do you work for now ?

Going to another site to get more information on driving may confuse him more. TBH, I think we here can get him lined up with a job he can be happy with.

Damn, if anybody out there is looking for a job driving a truck, PM me and I'll put you to work!

Got truck, need a driver!

R8RFAN 12-23-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYC75 (Post 9233958)
Who do you work for now ?

Going to another site to get more information on driving may confuse him more. TBH, I think we here can get him lined up with a job he can be happy with.

Damn, if anybody out there is looking for a job driving a truck, PM me and I'll put you to work!

Got truck, need a driver!

Fedex Freight.....

BigMeatballDave 12-23-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYC75 (Post 9233950)
Dave, you mentioned you had some previous experience but not a lot ?

Flatbed or van ?

None. I was driving my buddy's truck. Without a CDL. I just drove it a little while on the road with him.

ROYC75 12-23-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9233959)
Fedex Freight.....

OK, I recall that now.

Your own truck?

Either way, good money.

R8RFAN 12-23-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYC75 (Post 9233967)
OK, I recall that now.

Your own truck?

Either way, good money.

We are company driver at FXF Fedex Ground are owner operators

I prefer them buying my tires and fuel

ROYC75 12-23-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9233963)
None. I was driving my buddy's truck. Without a CDL. I just drove it a little while on the road with him.

You willing to ride with a guy for 6 months to train ? If so, I'll ask my partner if he is willing to train you and put you to work.

ROYC75 12-23-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9233970)
We are company driver at FXF Fedex Ground are owner operators

I prefer them buying my tires and fuel

Yep.

But as I said, either way it's good $$$.

R8RFAN 12-23-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYC75 (Post 9233971)
You willing to ride with a guy for 6 months to train ? If so, I'll ask my partner if he is willing to train you and put you to work.

There ya go....

BigMeatballDave 12-23-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYC75 (Post 9233971)

After obtaining my CDL, I'm assuming?

ROYC75 12-23-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9233983)
After obtaining my CDL, I'm assuming?

PM me, I'll drop you a ph # , go from there.

BigMeatballDave 12-23-2012 10:18 AM

I haven't had a speeding ticket since 2002 or an accident since 1993. No DUIs. No felonies.
I misdemeanor charge of possession of MJ 22 yrs ago.

ROYC75 12-23-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9234035)
I haven't had a speeding ticket since 2002 or an accident since 1993. No DUIs. No felonies.
I misdemeanor charge of possession of MJ 22 yrs ago.

Sent you a PM

Mr. Flopnuts 12-23-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9233928)
Ok ... Hell with it...

LMAO All I could do to not tell him at least privately, but I gave you my word, so I didn't. I see you broke down though. Pun intended. ;)

R8RFAN 12-23-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9234539)
LMAO All I could do to not tell him at least privately, but I gave you my word, so I didn't. I see you broke down though. Pun intended. ;)

Ahh it's an important decision... hell with it... Merry Christmas to you and yours....

ROYC75 12-23-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9234581)
Ahh it's an important decision... hell with it... Merry Christmas to you and yours....

Damn, I'm impressed.

Mr. Flopnuts 12-23-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9234581)

I knew you were a good dude. But I had to keep my word. I'm sure you understand. Merry Christmas to you and yours as well. :toast:

R8RFAN 12-23-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYC75 (Post 9234695)
Damn, I'm impressed.

Why thank you, is has been a very fun and challenging project to me since I never took the first computer class and never even touched one before 1996.

R8RFAN 12-23-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9234713)
I knew you were a good dude. But I had to keep my word. I'm sure you understand. Merry Christmas to you and yours as well. :toast:

Well you did keep your word:clap:.. I closed the Raiders site down though, I am a fan of the team but I can no longer stand to be around a site where 99% are libs.

Mi_chief_fan 12-23-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9232922)
I'm looking into getting my CDL.

There is a CDL training school just a few miles from me.

I've been a CNC Machinist for years and I'm sick of the lack of job security.

I'm 42 and I need something with solid job security.

I think R8ers drives for FedEx, right?

Good info in this thread, I'm in pretty much the same position as Dave. I'm waiting until springtime anyway, don't wanna go through class in a Michigan winter.

Mr. Flopnuts 12-23-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9234731)
Well you did keep your word:clap:.. I closed the Raiders site down though, I am a fan of the team but I can no longer stand to be around a site where 99% are libs.

ROFL Good for you. :clap:

Over-Head 12-23-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYC75 (Post 9233934)
OverHead, I always wanted to take a trip to Alaska & the NW when I was on the road..

The Ice roads are wild on a good day. And trust me from personal experience, the "Roller Coaster" on Ice Road Truckers WILL leave skid marks in your shorts the first time your behind the wheel

Quote:

I use to run Toronto weekly when pulling a tanker back in 1989...

My old haunt was 2 blocks north of 401 on Dixi Rd. hang a left...Shell Access.

Quote:

Like you, some of the truck driving stories I can tell is just nuts.

worst of it is...1 out of 10 will believe the shit we saw on a daily bassis

lewdog 12-23-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9234731)

Are you ****ing serious!?? My account there was just starting to build reputation. Can I carry my post count there over to here?

Unsmooth-Moment 12-23-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYC75 (Post 9233946)
Not sure why you have this perception but not all trucking companies are the same dude. Just because you have / had a bad experience with one or said company does not make them all evil.

Are you a company driver or are you an owner operator? If you have the experience, you can be very selective with who you work for. With the shortage of drivers in the country, if you are not a seat jumper you can find a job anywhere. Bigger companies do let you get lost within the numbers but smaller companies are more personal and family oriented.

Crap, for that matter I have a truck that is empty and can be put on the road within a week.

If you are worth your weight in salt, the pay will be there.

This, all of this.

R8RFAN 12-24-2012 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9237122)
Are you ****ing serious!?? My account there was just starting to build reputation. Can I carry my post count there over to here?

Yes I am serious, I am done.... Never again

Mr. Flopnuts 12-24-2012 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9238063)
Yes I am serious, I am done.... Never again

We're about to draft a stud QB, and hopefully make some great hires for our front office. Jump on the bandwagon, bruh. We'd love to have you as a Chiefs fan. You'd actually have more hope with us, believe it or not.

R8RFAN 12-24-2012 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9238092)
We're about to draft a stud QB, and hopefully make some great hires for our front office. Jump on the bandwagon, bruh. We'd love to have you as a Chiefs fan. You'd actually have more hope with us, believe it or not.

Dude..... The Raiders have 17 Possible Free Agents this year... We are dumping our whole team and starting over.

Mr. Flopnuts 12-24-2012 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9238100)
Dude..... The Raiders have 17 Possible Free Agents this year... We are dumping our whole team and starting over.

Exactly. It'll be another 5-10 years before they have a chance. You'll have to find new leadership all over again in 3-4 years. Your owner is a chip off the old block. He actually considered firing the whole front office their very first year, which means he definitely will next year.

It's time to find something to believe in. The Chiefs are long overdue, and the NFL is fixed. Roger Goodell is going to make us a dynasty! Jump on now, and claim you've been here the whole time!

R8RFAN 12-24-2012 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9238107)
Exactly. It'll be another 5-10 years before they have a chance. You'll have to find new leadership all over again in 3-4 years. Your owner is a chip off the old block. He actually considered firing the whole front office their very first year, which means he definitely will next year.

It's time to find something to believe in. The Chiefs are long overdue, and the NFL is fixed. Roger Goodell is going to make us a dynasty! Jump on now, and claim you've been here the whole time!

Thanks but I think I will pass, I moved out of my trailer years ago and I would feel out of place. I also have no idea how to cook meth :D

Mr. Flopnuts 12-24-2012 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9238111)
Thanks but I think I will pass, I moved out of my trailer years ago and I would feel out of place. I also have no idea how to cook meth :D

The **** you don't. You were in prison. Get a clue. Your choice to be a fan. :)

R8RFAN 12-24-2012 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9238118)
The **** you don't. You were in prison. Get a clue. Your choice to be a fan. :)

bahahahahah But I was in prison in NC, they make hooch here not meth.. Get it right man:D

Mr. Flopnuts 12-24-2012 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9238122)
bahahahahah But I was in prison in NC, they make hooch here not meth.. Get it right man:D

That's right. It's cool though, I blew up the 2nd floor of a motel out here making meth. I was just lucky enough that the Edelbrock upgrades on my Camaro got me out of there before the cops showed up. I burnt the bottom half of my mullet off though. Such a drag...

R8RFAN 12-24-2012 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9238136)
That's right. It's cool though, I blew up the 2nd floor of a motel out here making meth. I was just lucky enough that the Edelbrock upgrades on my Camaro got me out of there before the cops showed up. I burnt the bottom half of my mullet off though. Such a drag...

:D:D

BigMeatballDave 01-24-2013 01:13 PM

I begin CDL training Monday.

4-week course.

Dayze 01-24-2013 02:37 PM

let us know how it goes. I've always been intrigued by it.

Mr. Flopnuts 01-24-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9347837)

4-week course.

Have fun with the parallel parking, and dock parking. Those are fun. :evil:

stonedstooge 01-24-2013 03:13 PM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YEo06UdN9vI?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buehler445 01-24-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9348074)

How long of trailer they make you use?

R8RFAN 01-24-2013 04:08 PM

Be sure to drive with your bright lights on all night and drive 45 in a 70

BigMeatballDave 01-24-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9348074)

:) I bet.

BigMeatballDave 01-24-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9348257)
Be sure to drive with your bright lights on all night and drive 45 in a 70

Sounds like some solid advice.

Will keep in mind.

:)

Rasputin 01-24-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9347837)

4-week course.

Good luck it's what I want to do too. Just havn't put forth any effort to get the CDL. I'd like to take a course for it, but don't know the cost. I really just want to wait for winter to get over with.

R8RFAN 01-24-2013 04:34 PM

Just keep your record clean and run like hell to a LTL or foodservice company when you get a chance...

Oh don't be a badass and think you can drive when the weather is shit... My friend who placed 1st in the state nc truck driving championship and placed 3rd in the Nationals just crashed last thursday on a black ice covered bridge... He was only going 25... Park the shit, it's your license and no dispatcher can make you drive even if he sounds like a badass... You **** up and they will put another warm body in your seat and you will be forgotten.

R8RFAN 01-24-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9348322)
Good luck it's what I want to do too. Just havn't put forth any effort to get the CDL. I'd like to take a course for it, but don't know the cost. I really just want to wait for winter to get over with.

Study and pass this first

http://www.truckingboards.com/forum/...rial-test.html