ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics Phones (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272913)

Rain Man 08-07-2013 07:20 PM

Honestly, what's the difference between phones now? It seems like they all have the same functionality. The only notable differences that I see are size and perhaps maybe battery life. What else differentiates one from another?

AustinChief 08-07-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9866112)
Honestly, what's the difference between phones now? It seems like they all have the same functionality. The only notable differences that I see are size and perhaps maybe battery life. What else differentiates one from another?

It all depends on what features you will actually USE. Most people don't use a lot of the new features but here are some that are pretty damn cool.

For example, my S4 is a universal remote which I find handy. Also, if you do the whole "voice commands" thing than the new Moto-X is amazing because you don;t have to hit a button you can simple say "OK Google" and ask for information or tell it to dial or send a text... etc...

Of course there are a ton of other features but it all boils down to which ones you personally will get value from.

WoodDraw 08-07-2013 08:10 PM

I'm not a big fan of the approach that OEMs like Samsung have taken. LG to a lesser extent too. I don't want S Voice, when Google Now is simply better. I don't want S Translate; if I need to translate something I'll download an app (probably google translate). I don't want some fitness app. Again, if I'm looking for something like that, let me pick what I want in the play store. To me that's all bloat crap. All of it's about branding, so they can make cute ads and put an S in front of everything. Blech

What I do want is for the phone to be well made. I want it to feel good in my hand. I want it to have all the sensors in there so developers can take advantage of them. And I want it supported, so I know I'll get around 18 months of updates.

That's why I like what Motorola is trying. Not perfect, mind you. But I can pick how my phone feels and looks, and then I get a relatively clean version of Android. And the things they have focused on are actually useful. Geofencing so my phone automatically unlocks at home. Always on voice. A pretty cool active notification screen based on sensors. Not eye tracking and hover scrolling bs.

We'll see. I agree though, it's becoming very hard for the companies to release flagship phones with any "wow" features.

Setsuna 08-07-2013 10:56 PM

I JUST got the Note II.....:cuss:

jd1020 08-08-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9864378)
I wonder if LG will follow in the footsteps of HTC and Samsung and make a "mini" version of its G2 somewhere in the 4.3" range. Has some pretty nice specs and offers a removable battery, the volume rocker is kinda weird though.

Nevermind... Apparently only Korea is getting a version of the phone where the battery can be removed.

:facepalm:

The Franchise 08-08-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clayton Bibsby (Post 9866896)
I JUST got the Note II.....:cuss:

You'll be ok man. I've had mine for 8 months.....and I have no desire to switch to the Note 3. The N2 still does everything, and more, that I need.

SLAG 08-08-2013 11:44 PM

I like where this discussion is going.
As I stated earlier I am using an HTC one currently - but I do have 2 upgrades sitting in the account as well - the Moto X is a great first product for Googlrola, but I don't think I'll be switching.

The HTC One MAX is on the way out and i'm guessing build quality will dictate which I will try between the NoteIII or MAX... historically I would say HTC, but its rumored that it has plastic for the front instead of the solid metal - not huge but something to take into consideration.

I had the LG OG and I really enjoyed it, it was a solid phone and for a little while I was sad that it was gone as the HTC one wasn't such a big upgrade except in the speaker department.

the G2 looks awesome but the volume rocker on the back is hard for me to overcome

jd1020 08-09-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLAG (Post 9869955)
the G2 looks awesome but the volume rocker on the back is hard for me to overcome

I actually think the power button and volume rocker on the back is a pretty smart design.

Of course I have yet to use it but even on my smaller devices I have to shift the phone in my hand to push the power button or volume and that's when you start dropping shit, so having it on the back would allow me to simply use my index finger. Design wise it might not appeal to a lot of people but I don't think it's that bad.

WoodDraw 08-10-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLAG (Post 9869955)
I like where this discussion is going.
As I stated earlier I am using an HTC one currently - but I do have 2 upgrades sitting in the account as well - the Moto X is a great first product for Googlrola, but I don't think I'll be switching.

The HTC One MAX is on the way out and i'm guessing build quality will dictate which I will try between the NoteIII or MAX... historically I would say HTC, but its rumored that it has plastic for the front instead of the solid metal - not huge but something to take into consideration.

I had the LG OG and I really enjoyed it, it was a solid phone and for a little while I was sad that it was gone as the HTC one wasn't such a big upgrade except in the speaker department.

You don't like plastic... So the g2 or note? :confused face:

SLAG 08-11-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 9874988)
You don't like plastic... So the g2 or note? :confused face:

I like high build quality - Some Manufacturers can create high build quality with plastic but samsung does not usually fall into this category, IMO.

Other hardware and software factors may play into my decision, but since these are the known devices that are suppose to be release this year, I imagine these are going to be my choices if I want to try something other than the HTC ONE - which I am still very pleased with

SAUTO 08-11-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9867993)
You'll be ok man. I've had mine for 8 months.....and I have no desire to switch to the Note 3. The N2 still does everything, and more, that I need.

I've got the first one. Waiting to upgrade until three hits. If it was farther out I would just get the two
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO 08-11-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9870235)
I actually think the power button and volume rocker on the back is a pretty smart design.

Of course I have yet to use it but even on my smaller devices I have to shift the phone in my hand to push the power button or volume and that's when you start dropping shit, so having it on the back would allow me to simply use my index finger. Design wise it might not appeal to a lot of people but I don't think it's that bad.

You must have small hands
Posted via Mobile Device

KevB 08-11-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9867993)

Me too, love my Note 2 still and no desire to change to any of the phones coming out now.

jd1020 08-12-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9876421)
You must have small hands
Posted via Mobile Device

I do, but it's not just me. You wouldn't see companies moving the position of the power buttons on phones if it wasn't beginning to become an issue with the increase in phone size. Sony putting it on the right side where your thumb is, LG putting it on the back so you can easily use your index finger, and I believe HTC has theirs on the top left(?) where your index finger rests when you are holding the phone, assuming you are right handed.

WoodDraw 08-13-2013 07:21 PM

I think the back power/volume button is interesting. Impossible to tell until you hold it, but isn't that always where your hand hits? Even with smaller phones, it's become hard to do everything with one hand. The bigger ones? I like different design thinking.