ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   MP3 or I pod (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=175864)

WEIRDWOLF 12-03-2007 09:52 AM

MP3 or I pod

Whats the difference? My daughter has asked for an I Pod but Penneys has a SPI 2 GB MP3 Player with Video for $59.99. Is it just a brand name thing or is their something in the functionality?

Delano 12-03-2007 09:55 AM

www.woot.com has a pretty sweet deal today on an 4 GB Sandisk player.

I am giving away a 2GB version and I played around with it a bit before I wrapped it up. It works pretty good.

Just don't explain what refurbished means. :D

DMAC 12-03-2007 10:03 AM

When you are talking about Nano's VS. others, go with the others.

But when you are talking 30 gig+ iPod, go with the iPod.

Delano 12-03-2007 10:10 AM

I'd recommend a smaller unit that uses flash memory for a child or teenager. A big iPod or hard drive mp3 player is destined to be destroyed.

WEIRDWOLF 12-03-2007 10:16 AM

She is 14 and has had a MP3 for two years but the same one she has now sells for under $39.00 with no video screen. I am totally ignorant of the technology. I'm stiil playing cassettes. What do you do with the video screen? Can you download videos off the web? Sorry...ignorance is bliss until your kids get older.

Eleazar 12-03-2007 10:27 AM

The extra 50% you are spending gets you an apple logo painted on it.

DMAC 12-03-2007 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise
The extra 50% you are spending gets you an apple logo painted on it.

Like I said, screw the nano. But if you get one with a ton of memory, get an apple. It's quality.

Pushead2 12-03-2007 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMAC
Like I said, screw the nano. But if you get one with a ton of memory, get an apple. It's quality.

Solid statement....

patteeu 12-03-2007 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WEIRDWOLF
She is 14 and has had a MP3 for two years but the same one she has now sells for under $39.00 with no video screen. I am totally ignorant of the technology. I'm stiil playing cassettes. What do you do with the video screen? Can you download videos off the web? Sorry...ignorance is bliss until your kids get older.

If she already has an mp3 player and is asking for an iPod, she probably knows what she wants even if it's just the "enormous prestige" you get from sporting the Apple cool.

My family has owned 4 ipods (a mini, two nano's, and a 30 gig video) and a handful of various non-ipod mp3 players. We had one non-ipod mp3 player that had a user interface that was reasonably close to being as nice as the ipods. The user interface on each of the other mp3 players sucked. So if you're going to save a few bucks on this, make sure that the interface is decent. It's hard to get a feel for this unless you actually pick one up and navigate through it's menu structure.

HolmeZz 12-03-2007 12:04 PM

I <3 my 30 gigger.

'Hamas' Jenkins 12-03-2007 01:56 PM

You could get her a 30 gig Zune for 100 bones.

ChiefsFanatic 12-03-2007 02:24 PM

Get her a 4 gig ipod nano with video. That is what I got my 11 year old daughter. She loves it. It has enough room for a couple of movies and several cds. Just enough stuff to keep her out of my hair when traveling.

irishjayhawk 12-03-2007 02:53 PM

There is no difference between a "MP3" player and an "iPod". It's just differences between the players. Both play MP3s.

Just clarifying.

And I don't know why people diss the nano, the new video nano is pretty sweet. The iPod touch too. Plus, there's the whole nike+ipod addition. And flash memory.

But I'm an iPod guy to death. Works fine and is a quality product.

El Jefe 12-03-2007 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WEIRDWOLF
Whats the difference? My daughter has asked for an I Pod but Penneys has a SPI 2 GB MP3 Player with Video for $59.99. Is it just a brand name thing or is their something in the functionality?

Honestly the only difference is the IPOD has a lot more accessories. I chose to forfeit those accesories and obtained a Samsung YP7 which is great. Unless you buy a really cheap MP3 you aren't going to notice a differenc between the IPOD and an MP3. Hope this helps, I have done a little bit of research on these things.

El Jefe 12-03-2007 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins
You could get her a 30 gig Zune for 100 bones.

Why would you want that much space, that's a crap ton of room on that thing.