ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Reddit (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=264276)

Huffmeister 09-26-2012 11:51 AM

Reddit

Does anyone check out reddit.com? If so, what are some of the subreddits that you visit?

Here are some of the non-default subreddits that I subscribed to:

/r/kansascitychiefs
/r/kansascity
/r/rush
/r/gameofthrones
/r/torchlight
/r/adamcarolla
/r/creepy
/r/shortscarystories
/r/imgoingtohellforthis (offensive humor)

DaFace 09-26-2012 11:51 AM

I'm a daily lurker. I've got too many subreddits to list, though.

Los Pollos Hermanos 09-26-2012 11:54 AM

I have no idea what reddits is.

I'm old.

Buehler445 09-26-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Los Pollos Hermanos (Post 8952344)
I have no idea what reddits is.

I'm old.

Me either. But I'm younger than DaFace. :(

Tribal Warfare 09-26-2012 12:38 PM

are you guys talking about RSS feeds in general?

Chest Rockwell 09-26-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 8952336)
Does anyone check out reddit.com? If so, what are some of the subreddits that you visit?

I am aware of Reddit, but rarely visit anything but the local area subs for my location because everything else on there that's interesting gets posted somewhere else I already have in my rss feeds anyway.

BryanBusby 09-26-2012 12:54 PM

A terrible ****ing place that was supporting pedo's until they were harassed about it.

Buck 09-26-2012 01:18 PM

Too many to list but mostly r/NFL or r/MagicTCG

hometeam 09-26-2012 04:40 PM

r/guildwars2

DaFace 09-26-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 8952514)
A terrible ****ing place that was supporting pedo's until they were harassed about it.

That's a bit inaccurate. Reddit is more of an infrastructure backbone than a community in and of itself. There was indeed a subreddit (aka subforum) that got shut down due to pedo shit, but it's not like that was a big, thriving community or anything.

It's almost like saying that vBulletin sucks because of people on ChiefsPlanet.

DaFace 09-26-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 8952466)
are you guys talking about RSS feeds in general?

No, reddit is a web site where users can submit links into a nearly infinite number of subreddits (kind of like starting a thread on ChiefsPlanet). Other users then "upvote" or "downvote" those submissions, which determine how high the link shows up on the "front page." They use a time-based algorithm, so topics that are new and active end up on the front page, but eventually get replaced by new stuff, so it's a constantly changing "front page of the internet."

The normal front page itself is nifty for killing some time, but the real value of reddit exists in its various subreddits. If you sign up for an account, you can pick and choose which ones you want to show up on your own personalized front page. If you get rid of all the defaults (which are largely full of crap submissions these days), you can really find a cool way to find links you're interested in quickly.

BigRedChief 09-26-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 8952514)

it use to be a step up from 4 chan but in all fairness they are trying to go mainstream and cracking down on the over the top stuff.

KcMizzou 09-26-2012 06:40 PM

I'm on there a lot at work between customers. I like the AMA, AskReddit, and TIL (Today I Learned) stuff.

The AMA's (Ask Me Anything) are probably my favorite. Really interesting stuff, from celebrities, down to people who are or have been homeless, just answering questions and telling their stories.

There was one on there the other day from someone who's been teaching english in South Korea for a few years, which is something my brother in law is considering.

DaFace 09-26-2012 06:53 PM

Definitely agree - r/iama is one of my favorites for sure.

KcMizzou 09-26-2012 07:01 PM

What's the story with the downfall of Digg? Wasn't it supposed to be similar?

Reddit's huge, and Digg's pretty much a failure.