ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU ****The official NEW new conference realignment thread.**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=255691)

kchero 02-03-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8345742)
I wouldn't say he was a hero.

But I agree that it's good to see the education in the local area spreading around instead of everyone simply wanting to go to KU.

JFC:facepalm:

Bambi 02-03-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8346541)
UMKC and UMSL are under the MU system.

Right, like the University of California System...

:rolleyes:

Saul Good 02-03-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8346593)
Right, like the University of California System...

:rolleyes:

The University of Missouri (Mizzou, MU, University of Missouri–Columbia or simply Missouri) is a public research university located in the state of Missouri. In 1839 the university was founded in Columbia, Missouri, as the first public institution of higher education west of the Mississippi River. The largest university in Missouri, MU enrolls 33,762 students [3] in 20 academic colleges. ****The university is the flagship of the University of Missouri System which maintains campuses in Rolla, Kansas City and St. Louis.**** MU is one of 34 public universities to be members of the Association of American Universities and the only one in Missouri. There are more than 262,000 MU alumni living worldwide, with almost half continuing to reside in Missouri.[2] The University of Missouri was ranked 90th in the 2012 U.S. News & World Report among the national universities, up four spots from 2011. It is the highest-ranked public school in the state and second overall (tied with Saint Louis University).[6]

Bambi 02-03-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8346622)
The University of Missouri (Mizzou, MU, University of Missouri–Columbia or simply Missouri) is a public research university located in the state of Missouri. In 1839 the university was founded in Columbia, Missouri, as the first public institution of higher education west of the Mississippi River. The largest university in Missouri, MU enrolls 33,762 students [3] in 20 academic colleges. ****The university is the flagship of the University of Missouri System which maintains campuses in Rolla, Kansas City and St. Louis.**** MU is one of 34 public universities to be members of the Association of American Universities and the only one in Missouri. There are more than 262,000 MU alumni living worldwide, with almost half continuing to reside in Missouri.[2] The University of Missouri was ranked 90th in the 2012 U.S. News & World Report among the national universities, up four spots from 2011. It is the highest-ranked public school in the state and second overall (tied with Saint Louis University).[6]

Thanks for updating me. Is MU the only school that runs three separate athletic programs? I've never heard of such a thing but the way you state it, it appears to be true.

Saul Good 02-03-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8346649)
Thanks for updating me. Is MU the only school that runs three separate athletic programs? I've never heard of such a thing but the way you state it, it appears to be true.

1. You're Welcome
2. I don't know. Probably not.
3. It is true.

Bambi 02-03-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8346690)
1. You're Welcome
2. I don't know. Probably not.
3. It is true.

Looks very similar to the california system setup with ucla as the flagship but I'll have to take your word for it.

As long as you apply to MU and have 3 different options on where to go I can see how easy it is to get it.

Saul Good 02-03-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8346748)
Looks very similar to the california system setup with ucla as the flagship but I'll have to take your word for it.

As long as you apply to MU and have 3 different options on where to go I can see how easy it is to get it.

Entrance requirements are higher than KU, and the acceptance rate is lower, but it's not too bad.

Bambi 02-03-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8346782)
Entrance requirements are higher than KU, and the acceptance rate is lower, but it's not too bad.

True dat. My granddad went to MU. He's a smart dude.

Pitt Gorilla 02-03-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8346796)
True dat. My granddad went to MU. He's a smart dude.

WTF happened?

kchero 02-03-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8346748)

It doesn't work that way. You have to apply to your specific school just like any other institution. There are 4 universities under the University of Missouri System (UM-Columbia, UMKC, UMSTL, UM Science and Tech). This is a simular setup you see in several states. For instance, the University of Nebraska System has the same setup (Lincoln, Kearney, Omaha). There is a University of California system as well (i.e. UC-Berkeley, UC-Davis, UCLA, UC-Santa Cruz, etc.)

Bambi 02-03-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8346808)
WTF happened?

Haha, like I said. We favor diverse education:

Baker
Smith
FIT
GW
Johns Hopkins
Delaware

Bambi 02-03-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kchero (Post 8346813)
It doesn't work that way. You have to apply to your specific school just like any other institution. There are 4 universities under the University of Missouri System (UM-Columbia, UMKC, UMSTL, UM Science and Tech). This is a simular setup you see in several states. For instance, the University of Nebraska System has the same setup (Lincoln, Kearney, Omaha). There is a University of California system as well (i.e. UC-Berkeley, UC-Davis, UCLA, UC-Santa Cruz, etc.)

Right, this was my point from the beginning. Its really no biggie but thanks for the breakdown.

Mr. Plow 02-06-2012 07:30 PM

http://dennis-dodd.blogs.cbssports.c...70202/34727834

Big 10 "kicking around" idea of Plus One

Maybe it’s the declining interest in college football for the first time in years.

Although a BCS official said it wasn’t.

Maybe it’s the unrest regarding the BCS system.

Although the system has been defended vigorously – by the BCS.

Or maybe it’s just time.

The Big Ten – the Leaders and Legends themselves – have taken a significant step in adjusting the sport’s postseason beginning in 2014. The Chicago Tribune reported Monday that the Big Ten is “kicking around” the idea of a four-team playoff with the semifinals played on campus sites.
While the idea of a Plus One is nothing new – it has been mentioned prominently as a replacement for the BCS – the Big Ten’s apparent increased interest is intriguing.

The Tribune quoted Northwestern AD Jim Phillips as saying, “The Big Ten is open and curious.”

Since spring 2008, various administrators from four of the six BCS leagues (SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Pac-12) have supported a Plus One. Most recently, ADs from the Big Ten and Pac-12 supported a Plus One in a straw poll in August.

The BCS pays out $180 million to participants per year. One powerful BCS AD indicated that a Plus One would be worth significantly more than double that amount. The 11 FBS commissioners next meet to discuss the issue later this month in Dallas. No final decision is expected. Significant progress is expected to be made in late April during the annual BCS meeting, this year in South Florida.

“I think sports fans are conditioned to playoffs,” Delany told the Tribune. “I don’t begrudge them that. They’re looking for more games, but we’re trying to do the right thing.”

The Big Ten Plan – what else you going to call it? – involves having the semis played on the campus of the higher-seeded team. This past season that would have meant Stanford playing at LSU and Oklahoma State playing at Alabama. The problem, as you may have noticed, is that in 2011 a Plus One would have included Stanford from the Pac-12 but not the Pac-12 champion, Oregon.

Right now, that may be a mere detail. The Big Ten is seemingly onboard in light of recent lower attendance numbers and TV ratings. Regular-season attendance declined, if only slightly, for the second time in three years. Average bowl attendance hit a 33-year low this season. Overall BCS bowl ratings were down 10 percent from the 2011 bowls and down 21 percent from when Fox last had the contract in 2009.

The 13.8 rating from the LSU-Alabama game was down 14 percent from last year's Auburn-Oregon game and down 24 percent from the Alabama-Texas game two years ago. BCS executive director Bill Hancock cautioned last month to reacting too early to attendance and TV ratings.

But perhaps a convergence of all those factors is now forcing change. If a Plus One is adopted expect more games grouped around the traditional Jan. 1 date. ADs and presidents are not only concerned about ratings and attendance but about second-semester football. The BCS Presidential Oversight Committee is particularly concerned about the BCS bowls being played further and further away from Jan. 1. There have been several times when teams had to get back from those games just in time for the second semester or the second semester had already begun after a BCS bowl.

“We had two experiences where we had to fly back the night of the game,” Ohio State AD Gene Smith said of two recent national championship games. “We played Florida [2007 in Glendale, Ariz.] and flew back right after the game. I remember stopping at the In-N-Out Burger. Our kids had to go to school the next day.

“We can’t do that, we can’t.”

The chairman of that BCS oversight group, Tulane president Scott Cowen, said the sport must proceed carefully.

“Two-thousand eleven was not a great year for intercollegiate athletics in America,” Cowen told CBSSports.com “I think all university presidents want to find more ways that we can cooperate and repair intercollegiate athletics.”

At least 50 different postseason plans were exchanged among the FBS commissioners Jan. 10 in New Orleans. There was no consensus but it is clear powerful people are getting used to the idea of a four-team playoff. NCAA president Mark Emmert has said on multiple occasions that there would be some interest in what he termed a football “Final Four”. SEC commissioner Mike Slive as well as Delany have been quoted as warming up to the idea.

If semis are played on campus sites then that could mean the championship game could be bid on. With the Cotton Bowl played in Cowboys Stadium, waiting on the doorstep to join the BCS that could be a huge step. One touchy issue for current BCS bowls is the preference to stay in the current four-year rotation for the championship game because of concerns about retaining sponsorships.

The Big Ten would have to consider the impact on the Rose Bowl. If one or more of the bowl's partners – Big Ten and Pac-12 – were in the playoff, how would that affect the Rose? The conferences and Rose Bowl are already uncomfortable with losing teams to the BCS championship game.

The current deal with ESPN expires after the 2013 regular season/2014 BCS bowls. BCS commissioners are expected to have a new model for consideration by presidents by summer.

Saul Good 02-06-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 8354435)
The Tribune quoted Northwestern AD Jim Phillips as saying, “The Big Ten is open and curious.”

NTTAWWT

Pasta Little Brioni 02-07-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8346808)
WTF happened?

His one flaw was a penchant for feeding his grandson paint chips as an afternoon snack.

mikeyis4dcats. 02-07-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8346649)

Tennessee actually runs 2 athletic departments on the same campus.

Pants 02-07-2012 01:22 PM

Memphis to BEAST?

mnchiefsguy 02-07-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 8355557)
Tennessee actually runs 2 athletic departments on the same campus.

Yeah, I believe Pat Summitt runs the entire women's side as the AD there, although I am not sure she kept that title when she was diagnosed with her early stage dementia earlier this year. They may have a different women's AD now.

Ultra Peanut 02-07-2012 02:40 PM

*faints*

*dies*

Pants 02-07-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultra Peanut (Post 8356639)
*faints*

*dies*

I'm happy for you, UP. :)

Titty Meat 02-07-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Maybe it’s the declining interest in college football for the first time in years.

Or maybe it’s just time.

The Big Ten – the Leaders and Legends themselves – have taken a significant step in adjusting the sport’s postseason beginning in 2014. The Chicago Tribune reported Monday that the Big Ten is “kicking around” the idea of a four-team playoff with the semifinals played on campus sites.
While the idea of a Plus One is nothing new – it has been mentioned prominently as a replacement for the BCS – the Big Ten’s apparent increased interest is intriguing.

Since spring 2008, various administrators from four of the six BCS leagues (SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Pac-12) have supported a Plus One. Most recently, ADs from the Big Ten and Pac-12 supported a Plus One in a straw poll in August.

The BCS pays out $180 million to participants per year. One powerful BCS AD indicated that a Plus One would be worth significantly more than double that amount. The 11 FBS commissioners next meet to discuss the issue later this month in Dallas. No final decision is expected. Significant progress is expected to be made in late April during the annual BCS meeting, this year in South Florida.

“I think sports fans are conditioned to playoffs,” Delany told the Tribune. “I don’t begrudge them that. They’re looking for more games, but we’re trying to do the right thing.”

The Big Ten Plan – what else you going to call it? – involves having the semis played on the campus of the higher-seeded team. This past season that would have meant Stanford playing at LSU and Oklahoma State playing at Alabama. The problem, as you may have noticed, is that in 2011 a Plus One would have included Stanford from the Pac-12 but not the Pac-12 champion, Oregon.

Right now, that may be a mere detail. The Big Ten is seemingly onboard in light of recent lower attendance numbers and TV ratings. Regular-season attendance declined, if only slightly, for the second time in three years. Average bowl attendance hit a 33-year low this season. Overall BCS bowl ratings were down 10 percent from the 2011 bowls and down 21 percent from when Fox last had the contract in 2009.

The 13.8 rating from the LSU-Alabama game was down 14 percent from last year's Auburn-Oregon game and down 24 percent from the Alabama-Texas game two years ago. BCS executive director Bill Hancock cautioned last month to reacting too early to attendance and TV ratings.

But perhaps a convergence of all those factors is now forcing change. If a Plus One is adopted expect more games grouped around the traditional Jan. 1 date. ADs and presidents are not only concerned about ratings and attendance but about second-semester football. The BCS Presidential Oversight Committee is particularly concerned about the BCS bowls being played further and further away from Jan. 1. There have been several times when teams had to get back from those games just in time for the second semester or the second semester had already begun after a BCS bowl.

“We had two experiences where we had to fly back the night of the game,” Ohio State AD Gene Smith said of two recent national championship games. “We played Florida [2007 in Glendale, Ariz.] and flew back right after the game. I remember stopping at the In-N-Out Burger. Our kids had to go to school the next day.

The chairman of that BCS oversight group, Tulane president Scott Cowen, said the sport must proceed carefully.

“Two-thousand eleven was not a great year for intercollegiate athletics in America,” Cowen told CBSSports.com “I think all university presidents want to find more ways that we can cooperate and repair intercollegiate athletics.”

At least 50 different postseason plans were exchanged among the FBS commissioners Jan. 10 in New Orleans. There was no consensus but it is clear powerful people are getting used to the idea of a four-team playoff. NCAA president Mark Emmert has said on multiple occasions that there would be some interest in what he termed a football “Final Four”. SEC commissioner Mike Slive as well as Delany have been quoted as warming up to the idea.

If semis are played on campus sites then that could mean the championship game could be bid on. With the Cotton Bowl played in Cowboys Stadium, waiting on the doorstep to join the BCS that could be a huge step. One touchy issue for current BCS bowls is the preference to stay in the current four-year rotation for the championship game because of concerns about retaining sponsorships.

The Big Ten would have to consider the impact on the Rose Bowl. If one or more of the bowl's partners – Big Ten and Pac-12 – were in the playoff, how would that affect the Rose? The conferences and Rose Bowl are already uncomfortable with losing teams to the BCS championship game.

The current deal with ESPN expires after the 2013 regular season/2014 BCS bowls. BCS commissioners are expected to have a new model for consideration by presidents by summer.

They aren't the best conference for nothing.

Bambi 02-07-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Or maybe it’s just time.

Gotta give it to the BIG here. A shitty football conference trying to stay relevant.

Not gonna work though.

Pasta Little Brioni 02-07-2012 02:56 PM

They really do need to change that Legends and Leaders bullshit. I don't think it's possible to come up with lamer divison names. Wow.

mnchiefsguy 02-07-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 8356693)
They really do need to change that Legends and Leaders bullshit. I don't think it's possible to come up with lamer divison names. Wow.

I laugh every time the mention it. It was just a bad idea from the get go.

Titty Meat 02-07-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8356685)
Gotta give it to the BIG here. A shitty football conference trying to stay relevant.

Not gonna work though.

They should hire Charlie Weis so they can try to be relevant.

htismaqe 02-07-2012 03:14 PM

The Legends and Leaders thing is vomit-inducing.

Gotta laugh at the "shitty football conference" comment though.

mnchiefsguy 02-07-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8356685)

Not gonna work though.

You don't much about football, do you?

ChiefsCountry 02-07-2012 03:20 PM

How about this:

East
Indiana
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue

West
Illinois
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern
Wisconsin

Much better and no ****ing Ohio St/Michigan rematch bullshit that they want.

Bambi 02-07-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 8356765)
You don't much about football, do you?

Well I'm not like a professional football coach or anything.

But I sure do enjoy the game.

Bambi 02-07-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8356746)
The Legends and Leaders thing is vomit-inducing.

Gotta laugh at the "shitty football conference" comment though.

lol, KU was playing in the BCS the last time a BIG team played for the NC.

Yes...it has been that long.

htismaqe 02-07-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8356797)
lol, KU was playing in the BCS the last time a BIG team played for the NC.

Yes...it has been that long.

ROFL

Bambi 02-07-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 8356739)
They should hire Charlie Weis so they can try to be relevant.

Charlie Weis hasn't coached one game and I'd rather have him than the POS that is your coach, lol.

Titty Meat 02-07-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 8356778)
How about this:

East
Indiana
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue

West
Illinois
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern
Wisconsin

Much better and no ****ing Ohio St/Michigan rematch bullshit that they want.

I'm cool with the divisions as they are right now. 3 team race on one side 4 team race on the other.

Titty Meat 02-07-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8356800)
Charlie Weis hasn't coached one game and I'd rather have him than the POS that is your coach, lol.

Actually he's coached plenty and was fired lol.

eazyb81 02-07-2012 04:02 PM

Good news for Memphis. They have a very good fanbase and I think the Big East will help them increase their revenue and exposure.

New Big East (all-sports members):

Memphis
SMU
San Diego State
Navy
Boise State
Houston
Central Florida
Cincinnati
Louisville
UConn
Rutgers
South Florida

eazyb81 02-07-2012 04:06 PM

Memphis owes Rick Pitino a nice Christmas card this year. He made numerous public comments suggesting that the Big East would be crazy to not go hard after Memphis.

Basketball tickets probably just went up though. That tends to happen when you replace C-USA schleps with the likes of UConn, Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette, etc.

Ultra Peanut 02-07-2012 04:33 PM

Basically the two most glaring negatives for Memphis men's basketball (non-power conference + C-USA's TV contract) just got erased. Flipped on their heads, even. I haven't even come close to fully grasping how crazy it's going to be.

Plus football's actually gotten a lot of new injections of money for facility/infrastructure improvements over the past few years, it's just all been masked by the terrible teams Tommy West and Larry Porter fielded (and to be fair to Porter, he was dealing with a pretty bare cupboard talent-wise). I can't help but wonder if the boosters basically mutinying and ousting Porter and RC Johnson to up the emphasis on football even more wasn't a huge part of why this is finally happening now when it should have happened a long time ago.

It's really weird to have something you've been waiting for and disappointed about multiple times for almost a decade finally happen.

Ultra Peanut 02-07-2012 07:12 PM

KevB, Banyon, WE DID ITTTTTTT

Press Conference Set For Noon To Detail Future Of Tiger Athletics
Feb. 7, 2012

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - A press conference has been scheduled for Wednesday, Feb. 8, at 12 p.m. CT, in the Penny Hardaway Hall of Fame Assembly Room located in the Athletic Office Building to discuss the future of University of Memphis Tiger Athletics.

The Athletic Office Building is located at 570 Normal Street on the U of M campus. The press conference will also be carried live on GoTigersGo.com. A link to the live streaming will be provided when available.

mnchiefsguy 02-07-2012 07:13 PM

It is a great move for Memphis. Basketball will be tougher for them in the Big East, but the rewards will be worth it. Better TV exposure, better NCCA seedings, etc.

ChiefsCountry 02-07-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81 (Post 8356886)
Good news for Memphis. They have a very good fanbase and I think the Big East will help them increase their revenue and exposure.

New Big East (all-sports members):

Memphis
SMU
San Diego State
Navy
Boise State
Houston
Central Florida
Cincinnati
Louisville
UConn
Rutgers
South Florida

San Diego State, Boise State and Navy will only play football in the Big East. They are not all-sports members.

eazyb81 02-08-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 8357354)
San Diego State, Boise State and Navy will only play football in the Big East. They are not all-sports members.

Good catch. That is actually a better set-up since Boise and Navy bring nothing in basketball.

Even after losing Syracuse, Pitt, and WVU, the Big East is going to be salty in basketball:

Top level teams:
Memphis
UConn
Georgetown
St. John's
Villanova
Notre Dame
Louisville
Cincinnati
Marquette

Mid/lower level teams:
Providence
Rutgers
Seton Hall
Depaul
South Florida
Houston
SMU
UCF

FOOTBALL:

East Division?:
UConn
Rutgers
South Florida
UCF
Navy
Cincinnati

West Division?:
Louisville
Houston
SMU
Memphis
Boise
San Diego State

Titty Meat 02-08-2012 03:57 PM

Looks like a shit football conference hopefully they won't get an automatic BCS bid.

Spott 02-08-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 8359198)
Looks like a shit football conference hopefully they won't get an automatic BCS bid.

They shouldn't. It would be a little funny if Boise St went to the Big Least only to see them get their BCS status taken from them.

mnchiefsguy 02-09-2012 03:26 PM

Big XII to help West Virginia pay its exit fees? That would be a new devlopment, no?

http://wvmetronews.com/news.cfm?func...&storyid=50865

Pitt Gorilla 02-09-2012 04:45 PM

Let me ask this again: Why do conferences need exit fees? It would seem that if your conference didn't suck, people wouldn't be looking to leave. See: SEC

mnchiefsguy 02-09-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8361684)
Let me ask this again: Why do conferences need exit fees? It would seem that if your conference didn't suck, people wouldn't be looking to leave. See: SEC

I would agree with this assessment...but apparently that is how it is done. I think the Big XII helping out WVU is a great sign for Mizzou that this will be taken care of, and everything will be settled for Mizzou going into next season.

Frazod 02-09-2012 04:50 PM

I still can't believe West Virginia's going to the Big Texas League. They are going to get destroyed in football. I figure the only team in the conference they'll be able to pound is Kansas, and they should be competitive with ISU and Tech. Everybody else is going to beat them like a rented mule.

ChiefsCountry 02-09-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8361703)
I still can't believe West Virginia's going to the Big Texas League. They are going to get destroyed in football. I figure the only team in the conference they'll be able to pound is Kansas, and they should be competitive with ISU and Tech. Everybody else is going to beat them like a rented mule.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7VpMxuBYIsk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mnchiefsguy 02-09-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Does not make a whole lot of sense to me from a football perspective, since they were very successful in the Big East and many years were able to make BCS bowls despite not having a BCS bowl quality team.

Saul Good 02-09-2012 06:01 PM

West Virginia will be almost exactly what Mizzou was.

Fritz88 02-09-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8361835)

In terms of hillbilliness?

Yesh, sure.

ArrowheadMagic 02-09-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 8361431)
Big XII to help West Virginia pay its exit fees? That would be a new devlopment, no?

http://wvmetronews.com/news.cfm?func...&storyid=50865

No its not, MU and TA&M are going to finance the payout.

mnchiefsguy 02-09-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowheadMagic (Post 8361878)
No its not, MU and TA&M are going to finance the payout.

I doubt that. Mizzou's exit fees are not going to be anywhere near the 20 million dollar settlement that the article talks about it. Would be surprised if each school wound up paying 6 million. Nebraska paid what, 6.3 million or something like that?

ArrowheadMagic 02-09-2012 06:31 PM

Quote:

so they will be a good replacement for both the aggies and mizzou? No Big xII championships.

ArrowheadMagic 02-09-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 8361880)
I doubt that. Mizzou's exit fees are not going to be anywhere near the 20 million dollar settlement that the article talks about it. Would be surprised if each school wound up paying 6 million. Nebraska paid what, 6.3 million or something like that?

Last word was 12 mil would get WVA out of the Big East. So 6 mil from both schools would do it. Losing the 3rd tier for the remaining big xii schools would be costly. Regardless what it costs, WVA will be in the conference next year.

kstater 02-09-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8361835)

I think they'll win a league title within 40 years.

ArrowheadMagic 02-09-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 8361899)
I think they'll win a league title within 40 years.

lol Mizzou is a football school after all.

ArrowheadMagic 02-09-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 8361880)

Big XII could push for more money than NU paid, but they wont, the combined settlement will equal what it takes to get WVA. Which benefits everyone.

There is a future I can see that Virginia replaces Louisville. Va Tech, VA, Clemson, FSU, and Miami... with BYU... are the ending point with what the BIG XII ends up being.

mnchiefsguy 02-09-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowheadMagic (Post 8361920)
Big XII could push for more money than NU paid, but they wont, the combined settlement will equal what it takes to get WVA. Which benefits everyone.

There is a future I can see that Virginia replaces Louisville. Va Tech, VA, Clemson, FSU, and Miami... with BYU... are the ending point with what the BIG XII ends up being.

Not sure if you are meaning WVU here or not. I do not see any scenario where Virginia leaves the ACC.

Saul Good 02-09-2012 07:03 PM

Keep not caring about Mizzou, guys.

ArrowheadMagic 02-09-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 8361924)
Not sure if you are meaning WVU here or not. I do not see any scenario where Virginia leaves the ACC.

Yeah, mean Virginia. Academia at Virginia will be a tough sell. But Va Tech is joined at the hip.

ArrowheadMagic 02-09-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8361936)
Keep not caring about Mizzou, guys.

Its fun to see you guys explain how you're a football school. While making fun of more established programs... like Arkansas and West Virginia.

eazyb81 02-09-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

What strong hallucinogenic are you on when you see this future? PCP?

Frazod 02-09-2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowheadMagic (Post 8361888)
so they will be a good replacement for both the aggies and mizzou? No Big xII championships.

Hi cockchugger! You were strangely absent when Missouri beat Oklahoma a couple of nights ago.

Saul Good 02-09-2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Mizzou will likely pay less than Nebraska. We left a broken league with only nine teams. We signed an agreement to be in a league with a specific twelve teams.

Then, Neinas was dumb enough to trash Mizzou on multiple occasions when we had said nothing other than we are proud members of the Big XII. Mike Alden and Brady Deaton just sat there and let Neinas push us out the door. Mizzou will likely start negotiating from the position that the conference acted against us and that no exit fees are owed. Nebraska's fees are the ceiling.

eazyb81 02-09-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowheadMagic (Post 8361888)

If that's all you cared about you could have added Northwest Missouri State for a lot less trouble.

Of course NWMSU probably offers more academic prestige.

Saul Good 02-09-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81 (Post 8361952)
If that's all you cared about you could have added Northwest Missouri State for a lot less trouble.

And a better television market.

duncan_idaho 02-09-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

ROFLROFLROFL

If Va. Tech goes anywhere, it will be to the SEC.

If Virginia goes anywhere, it will be to the Big Ten.

Louisville is the most likely and logical target.

FSU, Clemson and Miami might make some sense, but right now those three can dominate a league that isn't going ANYWHERE in football. Why leave? (Outside of the EXTREME geographic outlay).

ArrowheadMagic 02-09-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8361949)
Hi cockchugger! You were strangely absent when Missouri beat Oklahoma a couple of nights ago.

Watching the game, didnt think it was a sport that mattered? We are a couple of Kruger classes away from being where we should be. OU basketball is still better than MU football.

Frazod 02-09-2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowheadMagic (Post 8361964)
Watching the game, didnt think it was a sport that mattered? We are a couple of Kruger classes away from being where we should be. OU basketball is still better than MU football.

It's a shame, people were actually talking about Oklahoma (not State) in the present tense. Sorry you missed it.

Although I'm sure your bitch ass would have been here instantly had they won.

Saul Good 02-09-2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 8361957)
ROFLROFLROFL

FSU, Clemson and Miami might make some sense, but right now those three can dominate a league that isn't going ANYWHERE in football. Why leave? (Outside of the EXTREME geographic outlay).

Shit like this makes me wonder if some people just wander around being surprised by every little thing that happens because they only see things from their own perspective. If it works for me, it should work for everyone. USC, Florida, and tOSU to the Big XII getting half shares for the first 25 years? Makes too much sense not to happen.

ArrowheadMagic 02-09-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81 (Post 8361952)

Big XII replaced one football program with another. They lost MU academia wise.

ArrowheadMagic 02-09-2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 8361957)
ROFLROFLROFL

Va Tech and Virginia are tied at the hip. Why leave? Why would football schools leave a basketball driven league? Agree that VA is the tough sell. But VA isnt going to SEC.

ArrowheadMagic 02-09-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8361966)
Shit like this makes me wonder if some people just wander around being surprised by every little thing that happens because they only see things from their own perspective. If it works for me, it should work for everyone. USC, Florida, and tOSU to the Big XII getting half shares for the first 25 years? Makes too much sense not to happen.

Or thinking MU is a football school?

mnchiefsguy 02-09-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowheadMagic (Post 8361975)
Va Tech and Virginia are tied at the hip. Why leave? Why would football schools leave a basketball driven league? Agree that VA is the tough sell. But VA isnt going to SEC.

Va Tech and UVA are not necessarily tied at the hip. Va Tech just joined the ACC in 2003, so the schools have been in the same conference less than a decade. Va Tech has shown no interest in changing conferences...and why would they? They have a much easier path to a BCS Bowl in the ACC. The only easier path would the Big East. If Florida State were to change, their path gets even easier. Makes no sense for them to move.

Saul Good 02-09-2012 07:37 PM

Oklahoma used to be really good at football. It seems like a long time ago, but it was only like three years ago.

Saul Good 02-09-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowheadMagic (Post 8361975)

Tied at the hip to be sure. They've been in the same conference for like 100 years, right?

ArrowheadMagic 02-09-2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 8361981)
Va Tech and UVA are not necessarily tied at the hip. Va Tech just joined the ACC in 2003, so the schools have been in the same conference less than a decade. Va Tech has shown no interest in changing conferences...and why would they? They have a much easier path to a BCS Bowl in the ACC. The only easier path would the Big East. If Florida State were to change, their path gets even easier. Makes no sense for them to move.

They are.

ArrowheadMagic 02-09-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8361984)
Oklahoma used to be really good at football. It seems like a long time ago, but it was only like three years ago.

MU had that one good year out of the last 40... even top 10. but since your fans travel like shit you couldnt get a BCS bowl. But hey you played for a Big XII championship .....howd that work out?

ArrowheadMagic 02-09-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8361987)
Tied at the hip to be sure. They've been in the same conference for like 100 years, right?

No, but they are now. You have a dynamic that being a Mizzou fan you might not understand.. A true football school, teamed with an actual Academia school. Trust me...... they arent leaving either one behind.