ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Have you ever been shot? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267162)

rico 11-29-2012 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9160788)
Rico, you watch the all-star dual yet?

No I haven't, been consumed with college (back at it after a dumb decision to major in Psych) and my younger brothers' (13 and 15 years old) wrestling stuff. I did hear a bit about it from one of our assistant coaches, primarily the Dake vs. Taylor match. Our assistant coach's son (Adam Drain, a junior this year) is a multiple Roller/Cliff Keen/Tulsa (whatever it is) triple crown award. They have hit all of those since Adam was like 5 years old and have brought many teammates including my brothers on multiple occasions. Anyways, Taylor used to wrestle in those when Adam was younger and during that time, the Drain's and Taylor's have become good friends. Anyways, he was going on about Taylor vs. Dake at the All-Star meet and was telling everyone a play by play about what Taylor's dad told him. My bro Shea is one of 3 Freshman ranked in the preseason state rankings that came out yesterday, so that was cool to see. However, he is having a battle just to make varsity. He is at the lowest weight (106) and there is a log-jam of talent at that weight and 113. The guy who does the rankings must have just figured Shea would be the Mepo varsity cat or simply just had to choose one or the other when doing the rankings. At that weight, there is Shea, a freshman, multiple state place-winner, 2012 Midwest Nationals champion, 2 time USA state champion and another kid who is has won state 3 times. Wrestle-offs are this week and Shea won the first one, 2-0 yesterday, but was beaten in OT today, 6-4. It's a best of three system to earn the varsity spot, so tomorrow will be the decisive match. I am nervous as hell to say the least and my dad is simply a train-wreck... My 7th grade brother, Brennan, who is so far, the most accomplished of the two (5 time state champ, 3 time triple crown winner for winning folkstyle, freestyle and Greco state in same year, etc, etc, etc, is 14-0 in dual meet action this year with 13 pins. The one match that wasn't a pin, was an 8-0 win over a kid who weighs 118 (Brennan weighs 96). Out of the 13 pins, only 1 made it past the 3rd period. He's on a roll right now. Ironically, I think he's wrestling in the Park Hill duals this coming weekend in Kansas City for the DC Elite team. Kansas City is like 8 hours from where we live, so I thought it was pretty cool that he'll be wrestling there considering he and I are both Chiefs fans in an area where there aren't many Chiefs fans. I may end up going to it...would be my 2nd time ever in Kansas City.

Lol, so that's what's going on the wrestling world for me. How about you?

rico 11-29-2012 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9160828)
If I quoted about 17 posts on this thread with "tl;dr" would I get shot?

tl; dr

Jk. I wouldn't shoot you...I understand not wanting to read some of these. :)

Sorter 11-29-2012 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 9160873)
No I haven't, been consumed with college (back at it after a dumb decision to major in Psych) and my younger brothers' (13 and 15 years old) wrestling stuff. I did hear a bit about it from one of our assistant coaches, primarily the Dake vs. Taylor match. Our assistant coach's son (Adam Drain, a junior this year) is a multiple Roller/Cliff Keen/Tulsa (whatever it is) triple crown award. They have hit all of those since Adam was like 5 years old and have brought many teammates including my brothers on multiple occasions. Anyways, Taylor used to wrestle in those when Adam was younger and during that time, the Drain's and Taylor's have become good friends. Anyways, he was going on about Taylor vs. Dake at the All-Star meet and was telling everyone a play by play about what Taylor's dad told him. My bro Shea is one of 3 Freshman ranked in the preseason state rankings that came out yesterday, so that was cool to see. However, he is having a battle just to make varsity. He is at the lowest weight (106) and there is a log-jam of talent at that weight and 113. The guy who does the rankings must have just figured Shea would be the Mepo varsity cat or simply just had to choose one or the other when doing the rankings. At that weight, there is Shea, a freshman, multiple state place-winner, 2012 Midwest Nationals champion, 2 time USA state champion and another kid who is has won state 3 times. Wrestle-offs are this week and Shea won the first one, 2-0 yesterday, but was beaten in OT today, 6-4. It's a best of three system to earn the varsity spot, so tomorrow will be the decisive match. I am nervous as hell to say the least and my dad is simply a train-wreck... My 7th grade brother, Brennan, who is so far, the most accomplished of the two (5 time state champ, 3 time triple crown winner for winning folkstyle, freestyle and Greco state in same year, etc, etc, etc, is 14-0 in dual meet action this year with 13 pins. The one match that wasn't a pin, was an 8-0 win over a kid who weighs 118 (Brennan weighs 96). Out of the 13 pins, only 1 made it past the 3rd period. He's on a roll right now. Ironically, I think he's wrestling in the Park Hill duals this coming weekend in Kansas City for the DC Elite team. Kansas City is like 8 hours from where we live, so I thought it was pretty cool that he'll be wrestling there considering he and I are both Chiefs fans in an area where there aren't many Chiefs fans. I may end up going to it...would be my 2nd time ever in Kansas City.

Lol, so that's what's going on the wrestling world for me. How about you?

Well, ****. Typically I go to the PHDuals but can't make it this year. Great competition usually.

I watched the Taylor/Dake match. Dake looked loads bigger but I think Taylor wins at the NCAAs. Leg attacks are too diverse and will open up more in the finals IMO.

Phobia 11-29-2012 02:29 AM

Sorry rico. I wasn't talking to you expressly - only about 80%.

rico 11-29-2012 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9160878)
Well, ****. Typically I go to the PHDuals but can't make it this year. Great competition usually.

I watched the Taylor/Dake match. Dake looked loads bigger but I think Taylor wins at the NCAAs. Leg attacks are too diverse and will open up more in the finals IMO.

Who are you more of a fan of between the two?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9160879)
Sorry rico. I wasn't talking to you expressly - only about 80%.

http://snakkle.wpengine.netdna-cdn.c...e-photo-GC.jpg

2A Iowans aren't supposed to say mean things to each other like that, Phobia.

Phobia 11-29-2012 02:59 AM

Heh. Believe it or not, we were 4A. Yeah. 500 students in the entire HS puts you in the second largest class.

Sorter 11-29-2012 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 9160895)
Who are you more of a fan of between the two?

http://snakkle.wpengine.netdna-cdn.c...e-photo-GC.jpg

2A Iowans aren't supposed to say mean things to each other like that, Phobia.

I really like Taylor's style offensively from the feet and on top. I love Dake's scrambling ability, throws, and defense. I guess that I'd have to choose Taylor but both are awesome.

rico 11-29-2012 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9160898)
Heh. Believe it or not, we were 4A. Yeah. 500 students in the entire HS puts you in the second largest class.

Oh...that's weird. I'm confused now. Were you on a relay team that defeated one of Mepo's stud team? I thought it was at state, but it must have been at Drake Relays or something.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9160900)
I really like Taylor's style offensively from the feet and on top. I love Dake's scrambling ability, throws, and defense. I guess that I'd have to choose Taylor but both are awesome.

Yeah, I hear ya. To be honest, although our assistant coach is friends with the Taylor family, I don't know them personally....with that said, I am more of a Dake fan...basically for the reasons you mentioned. I like that style of wrestling.

rico 11-29-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9160878)

I was wrong about the date. Evidently we are going to Wisconsin this weekend and Park Hill next week. Both my bros wrestled in it last year, but I couldn't make it. Pretty well run tourney?

gblowfish 11-29-2012 12:14 PM

If BB Guns count, then yes. Got into many BB Gun fights as a teenager. Getting shot in the chest hurts like a mofo. Stupid things we do when we are young.

Never shot by an actual bullet, thank goodness. Although I had one whizz by me in a bar one night a long long time ago.

Iowanian 11-29-2012 12:22 PM

Does it count as being shot if your lady friend pulls her head out of the way in a defensive measure at a bad time?

Phobia 11-29-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 9160946)
Oh...that's weird. I'm confused now. Were you on a relay team that defeated one of Mepo's stud team? I thought it was at state, but it must have been at Drake Relays or something.

It was at districts and state. Must have been in a freaky year in which you guys were up a class and we were down and we met at 3A. Those boys were fast though. I always remember them putting up a close race.

rico 11-29-2012 12:39 PM

Do the names Aaron Egbert, Bo Russel, Ryan Hassett or Darren Steffener ring a bell at all? I think they were state champs 4x100 one year. Aaron Egbert is a Mediapolis legend....won multiple individual and relay state titles, was a decent football player and was able to bench press 225% of his weight, a Mepo record.

Kclee 11-29-2012 12:55 PM

Unfortunatly, yes. / Frazods Fridge

Radar Chief 11-29-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 9161547)
If BB Guns count, then yes. Got into many BB Gun fights as a teenager. Getting shot in the chest hurts like a mofo. Stupid things we do when we are young.

Never shot by an actual bullet, thank goodness. Although I had one whizz by me in a bar one night a long long time ago.

Used to get into bb gun wars too but that was before paintballs became big. If we had access to paintballs we’d have been doing that instead.