ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Microsoft Anti-Spyware? More like Anti-Piracy application... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=108164)

KC Kings 01-10-2005 10:54 AM

Microsoft Anti-Spyware? More like Anti-Piracy application...

I installed the new Anti-Spyware at work, and it worked great. Ad-aware and Spybot were run, found 0 spyware instances. I ran anti-spyware and it found over 20, including an invisible key logger loaded as a driver, (pretty sneaky and possibly loaded internally).

I decide to install it on my home PC, running XP Pro Corp Gold disk with a hacked key. When you install the app it tells you that you must have an authentic version of XP. I understood that as saying that "anti-spyware would not work, or would not be available unless you have XP installed with a valid key", so I hit the button to bypass verification and installed the app. What it should have been interpretted as saying is, "If you are running a hacked version of XP, installing this software will bend you over your computer desk and pound you Taco John style for stealing my software! Sincerely, Bill".

It worked fine until the first autoupdate. I was up at 5am and watched it start to update. It got the new files, then 60 seconds later a black bar appeared across my desktop and the PC locked up. After a reboot and chkdsk the PC comes up like normal, and then 60 seconds later a black bar appeared across my desktop and the PC locked up. After a reboot and chkdsk the PC comes up like normal, and then 60 seconds later a black bar appeared across my desktop and the PC locked up. After a reboot and chkdsk the PC comes up like normal, and then 60 seconds later a black bar appeared across my desktop and the PC locked up. After a reboot and chkdsk the PC comes up like normal, and then 60 seconds later a black bar appeared across my desktop and the PC locked up.

No other software was installed and no other changes were made, and I ran a full virus scan Saturdays at 2am, so it is not a virus. I am 99.9% sure that it is this software, but since it is so new there is nothing out there on the internet yet. I uninstalled the app and searched most of the regsitry for any leftover keys, (can't search it all with 60 seconds to work with), so I will reinstall tonight.

For any of you as dumb as me, please heed this warning and do not make the same mistake.

seclark 01-10-2005 10:57 AM

have you tried to reboot and run chkdsk?
sec

Saulbadguy 01-10-2005 10:59 AM

Haha..OWNED.

chiefs4me 01-10-2005 10:59 AM

So your saying it is no good.:(

cookster50 01-10-2005 10:59 AM

I think the best way to fix this is to not use a hacked version of windoze. Glad I could help you.

htismaqe 01-10-2005 11:03 AM

That's interesting, considering that you are asked to VERIFY AUTHENTICITY of your copy of Windows PRIOR to downloading the software:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/dow...displaylang=en

Rain Man 01-10-2005 11:05 AM

Interesting.

You don't cross Microsoft.

Eleazar 01-10-2005 11:05 AM

ZZZ

KC Kings 01-10-2005 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe
That's interesting, considering that you are asked to VERIFY AUTHENTICITY of your copy of Windows PRIOR to downloading the software:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/dow...displaylang=en

You are given an option whether you want to validate, or skip validation.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/w...displaylang=en

I figured there was no point in validating since I knew my copy was not legit.

Eleazar 01-10-2005 11:15 AM

This is why you never install anything from Microsoft unless you have to.

dirk digler 01-10-2005 11:23 AM

My advice is to never use a pirated copy for your OS. Just my opinion.

Hammock Parties 01-10-2005 11:35 AM

That's why you don't bother with Microsuck. Use Ad-Aware and Spybot.

I have an illegal copy of XP Corporate laying around, what are the benefits of installing it over home edition?

AeroSquid 01-10-2005 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoatCheese
That's why you don't bother with Microsuck. Use Ad-Aware and Spybot.

I have an illegal copy of XP Corporate laying around, what are the benefits of installing it over home edition?

Your peace of mind primarily. I own several copies of XP but I have never installed them. I don't want MS to have records of my computers configuration and have to deal with the hassle of calling MS every time i change a piece of hardware in my box. I use a custom VLK DVD that a friend of mine put together and I have never had any problems with XP being cracked since day one. I also installed the new MS antispyware and it has since updated. I skipped past the valadation part like OP but I have never had issues with lockups or black bars. If this was something MS did to screw up pirated copies of XP then there would be a massive uproar across the internet that would be hard to miss. I figure OP has something wrong with his PC other than the MS antispyware issue.

Hammock Parties 01-10-2005 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AeroSquid
I don't want MS to have records of my computers configuration and have to deal with the hassle of calling MS every time i change a piece of hardware in my box.

What do you mean? I've never had to do that. Upgraded video cards a couple times.

Saulbadguy 01-10-2005 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoatCheese
What do you mean? I've never had to do that. Upgraded video cards a couple times.

I've had to do it quite a few times. One time after flashing the BIOS.

Its really not a big deal though. Its a toll-free call, and it doesn't take more than 5 minutes.

J Diddy 01-10-2005 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy
I've had to do it quite a few times. One time after flashing the BIOS.

Its really not a big deal though. Its a toll-free call, and it doesn't take more than 5 minutes.

I like tweaking my system, changing cards, hard drives, etc. I've had to call that damned number so many times now that I should have my own direct line to bill gates. Maybe he should get a red telephone.

J Diddy 01-10-2005 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler
My advice is to never use a pirated copy for your OS. Just my opinion.

truly.

that is about the only thing I will pay for.

Especially XP, with so many security holes, without being able to get the updates you're a dead man, when and if anyone wants to toast you.

AeroSquid 01-10-2005 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy
truly.

that is about the only thing I will pay for.

Especially XP, with so many security holes, without being able to get the updates you're a dead man, when and if anyone wants to toast you.

MS won't stop you from downloading security updates even if you choose not to validate your copy of XP. :rolleyes:

If you don't pay for anything else then i'm sure you have plenty of security problems with your warezed games and apps. You think that pirated copy of Office is secure without updating it?

KC Kings 01-10-2005 12:23 PM

Quote:

I like tweaking my system, changing cards, hard drives, etc. I've had to call that damned number so many times now that I should have my own direct line to bill gates. Maybe he should get a red telephone.

I change hardware all the time and have never had to call any number? Only once have I had to install drivers for the hardware, XP always has them in the library. I love XP because most of the time the hardware is installed and configured before it logs in.

I can do updates and SP's. I don't use a borrow key, but have a key gen and use the technet article to change the key in the registry. I have only had to do it twice in 2 years. I guess it could be a hardware problem, but find it odd that the problem began immediately after the update.

Mr. Laz 01-10-2005 12:34 PM

Quote:

if you have a corp version then i think you dont have to call after changes.

if you have normal version it fugs with you after ever change

Garcia Bronco 01-10-2005 12:44 PM

I still use windows 2000.....and XP doesn't have that many features that make a difference to me.

Garcia Bronco 01-10-2005 12:46 PM

Also as a rule of thumb...never...ever..ever..ever...get the Home Edition of anything unless it's trival pursuit. Always get the professional/corporate..whatever

Kerberos 01-10-2005 01:01 PM

Quote:

Your peace of mind primarily. I own several copies of XP but I have never installed them. I don't want MS to have records of my computers configuration and have to deal with the hassle of calling MS every time i change a piece of hardware.

If he has a corporate copy then he wouldn't have to call them for changing anything anyway cause you don't have to activate a corporate or open license key>>>(schools and such).

You can buy XP Home OEM on ebay for $50 to $60 ... beats hassling with a hack key anyday!

The only advantage of using XP Pro over Home is networking and a few restore features not included w/ Home edition !!

Other than that is is a solid OS for any home user.

My.02

:)

Cliff

J Diddy 01-10-2005 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazarus
if you have a corp version then i think you dont have to call after changes.

if you have normal version it fugs with you after ever change

Not everyone it is like 3 in a certain period of time. I don't have the moolah to buy the corporate version.

J Diddy 01-10-2005 01:12 PM

Quote:

MS won't stop you from downloading security updates even if you choose not to validate your copy of XP. :rolleyes:

If you don't pay for anything else then i'm sure you have plenty of security problems with your warezed games and apps. You think that pirated copy of Office is secure without updating it?

BS, I tried to install sp 2 with a hacked corp. version of xp pro corp. Kicked it out, said go to hell and buy the OS. Which was alright cuz I already owned xp home.

My statement of never paying was a little misleading. If I am going to dish out cash for a program that I can't get my money back on I'm going to try it first. If I like it I'll buy it. If not then it's off my hard drive. No harm lost.

Kerberos 01-10-2005 01:38 PM

Quote:

I agree .... I work on computers EVERYDAY .... 90% of the stores business on computer repair is corrupt or fugged up windows ... #1 cause of corrupt or fugged windows is 0, Zero, Notta, zilch ..for windows updates.

I try to explaint to people what windows updates are and show them how to go and get them... set them up on AUTO UPDATES and they still don't update the critical updates and wonder WHY they have to keep bringing thier computers in for repair...... DUH! "which way did he go George"

The #2 reason and it goes along with or right behind corrupt windows is NO ANTI-Virus...zilch, zero, notta... And they bring their computers in and ask "How did I get so much infection on my computer"????

Get some antivirus you jackass ... even if it is free *crap like AVG it is better than nothing... but usuallly it is both of those together ... no updates and no antivirus and usually spend $300 or better a year just getting windows reinstalled and updated ... yes I update windows before i give it back to customers ... but if they ignore the auto update (which is usually the case)... that is more business for me and job security!

*(That is my opinion and nothing more)

Cliff

AeroSquid 01-10-2005 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rxrider

You can buy XP Home OEM on ebay for $50 to $60 ... beats hassling with a hack key anyday!
Cliff

lol hassle
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../bighassle.jpg

Quote:

BS, I tried to install sp 2 with a hacked corp. version of xp pro corp. Kicked it out, said go to hell and buy the OS. Which was alright cuz I already owned xp home.

My statement of never paying was a little misleading. If I am going to dish out cash for a program that I can't get my money back on I'm going to try it first. If I like it I'll buy it. If not then it's off my hard drive. No harm lost.

It's your fault it didn't work because you didn't know what you were doing. A working XP Pro Corp SP2 is not the same as SP1, back then you had to change your key before you installed SP2. Unless you are willing to put forth some effort and find out what is going on, it's probably better that you buy XP.

Kerberos 01-10-2005 01:53 PM

Quote:

lol hassle
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../bighassle.jpg

It's your fault it didn't work because you didn't know what you were doing. A working XP Pro Corp SP2 is not the same as SP1, back then you had to change your key before you installed SP2. Unless you are willing to put forth some effort and find out what is going on, it's probably better that you buy XP.

I got a key gen that does corporate, Acedemic, xp Pro, Xp Home too...

so that doesn't impress me much ...

For the EVERYDAY computer user it would be easier than hassling with a hacked key.

That is what I should have said??????

Cliff

Kerberos 01-10-2005 02:02 PM

Quote:

You think that pirated copy of Office is secure without updating it?

I got a VERY good "hacked" edition of Office 2003 Professional that is completely updatable and is working fine ... it just depends on who you get it from... I guarantee you that most of the hacked programs I have are not on someones download site for just any fuckwad out there to download and give to all his buddies ...

As I am sure you know there are allot of members only sites out there that the guys/gals share thier programs that they have made work in thier OWN way. I stoped looking for hacked up programs from search engines a while ago ... you just have to know where to look !

;)

Cliff

Bob Dole 01-13-2005 08:22 AM

Fred Langa verifies that it contains a sniffer app.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Langalist
The beta expires in July, and there's no word yet on whether or not MS will then start charging for the software. I suspect not: Even now, when you install the beta, a sniffer app checks to see if you have a legit copy of your OS, and refuses to install on pirated copies. My guess is that the Antispyware software will be offered as a "carrot" to entice users of pirated copies into getting a legit version of their OS; and secondarily as a reward to those who have legit copies.

Otter 01-13-2005 09:15 AM

Quote:

Your peace of mind primarily. I own several copies of XP but I have never installed them. I don't want MS to have records of my computers configuration and have to deal with the hassle of calling MS every time i change a piece of hardware in my box. I use a custom VLK DVD that a friend of mine put together and I have never had any problems with XP being cracked since day one. I also installed the new MS antispyware and it has since updated. I skipped past the valadation part like OP but I have never had issues with lockups or black bars. If this was something MS did to screw up pirated copies of XP then there would be a massive uproar across the internet that would be hard to miss. I figure OP has something wrong with his PC other than the MS antispyware issue.

What he said...

XP Pro and Office 2003 are both cracked. Updates work fine but I'm not going to install this piece.

There's no reason MS has to know every piece of hardware you have in your box and then get their OK to install a new video card. They can kiss my hairy bean bag.

I'm hoping by the time Longhorn takes over the market I'll be using Linux.

KC Kings 01-13-2005 09:23 AM

BTW, I brought up my machine in safe mode, (i had already uninstalled the app), and I searched the registry for all keys associated with Anti-Spyware. I delted them all, rebooted, and have been fine ever since.

I keep googling for more people with the same error because, 1. I find it hard to believe that anything other than this application caused the problem, and 2. I find it hard to believe that if this application caused the problem, there wouldn't be a ton of similar issues out on the internet.

I am running a non-legit version, but used a key generator to get the key, so it wasn't like I used one of the thousands of duplicate keys that everybody that bought XP at the 63rd St Swap and Shop for $20 are using.

I am using it work on my 2k box, and the real time security feature is pretty cool. I haven't gotten any Spyware since I installed it.

htismaqe 01-13-2005 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_Dole
Fred Langa verifies that it contains a sniffer app.

It's not a "sniffer" app, it's a byte-verifier from what I can tell.

My copy of XP Pro at home was a gift from MS when they did a consulting engagment from us. I installed the Anti-Spyware and it all works fine...

htismaqe 01-13-2005 10:35 AM

BTW, I LIKE this program.

It does everything that AdAware and WinPatrol do, in one app...

Bob Dole 01-13-2005 03:47 PM

eWeek has come out with an article covering the product.

You click here real good time Joe

Bob Dole 01-13-2005 03:50 PM

Quote:

It's not a "sniffer" app, it's a byte-verifier from what I can tell.

Langa's words, not Bob Dole's.

Bob Dole is perfectly happy with Ad Aware and Spybot S&D and doesn't have any intention of installing what has been rumored to be a subscription application.

(Though Bob Dole hasn't paid much attention to the reasons behind the rumor--it would seem to be a pointless move by MS.)

htismaqe 01-13-2005 06:36 PM

Quote:

Langa's words, not Bob Dole's.

Bob Dole is perfectly happy with Ad Aware and Spybot S&D and doesn't have any intention of installing what has been rumored to be a subscription application.

(Though Bob Dole hasn't paid much attention to the reasons behind the rumor--it would seem to be a pointless move by MS.)

Since it's not looking at packets, but rather at the filesystem, I wouldn't call it a sniffer.

I'm using it for the simple fact that it simplified my desktop install by making three applications obsolete.

Bob Dole 01-13-2005 06:46 PM

Quote:

I'm using it for the simple fact that it simplified my desktop install by making three applications obsolete.

Doesn't the eWeek article indicate that tests have shown that it's still not the be-all and end-all and misses things that other apps will detect?

(Bob Dole is in after-work mode and really tries not to think about work shit on Bob Dole's personal time, so can't really recall and is too lazy to re-read the thing...)

htismaqe 01-13-2005 06:57 PM

Quote:

Doesn't the eWeek article indicate that tests have shown that it's still not the be-all and end-all and misses things that other apps will detect?

(Bob Dole is in after-work mode and really tries not to think about work shit on Bob Dole's personal time, so can't really recall and is too lazy to re-read the thing...)

None of them are the be-all/end-all. I've taken some spyware I have samples of and tested AdAware up against it so far and they've both caught all of it. I'm not suggesting that my tests are exhaustive, but it's a start.

None of these pieces of software will catch everything, but I'm not about to run 15 things.

I like the MS solution because it performs the function of AdAware, but also does installation and registry modification prevention (IE Helpers, homepage changes, etc.) like WinPatrol. So I basically went from 4 security apps to 2 (AVG and MS).

ROYC75 01-31-2005 11:33 AM

Quote:

None of them are the be-all/end-all. I've taken some spyware I have samples of and tested AdAware up against it so far and they've both caught all of it. I'm not suggesting that my tests are exhaustive, but it's a start.

None of these pieces of software will catch everything, but I'm not about to run 15 things.

I like the MS solution because it performs the function of AdAware, but also does installation and registry modification prevention (IE Helpers, homepage changes, etc.) like WinPatrol. So I basically went from 4 security apps to 2 (AVG and MS).

So which is it Parker ? My pc guy wants me to download this !

Quote:

Well, I'm done using it.

I finally found a spyware variant that it couldn't block. Not only that, but it couldn't CLEAN IT either.

So I disabled it altogether and installed about 50 different trojans and stuff. MSAS couldn't remove HALF OF THEM. It said it was removed and when I'd reboot, they'd come right back.

I installed AdAware and they were gone in less than a minute.

I guessing the latter of the two ?

Is the MS spyware/malware da bomb, do not use ?

Mr. Laz 01-31-2005 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYC75
So which is it Parker ? My pc guy wants me to download this !

I guessing the latter of the two ?

Is the MS spyware/malware da bomb, do not use ?

i install as little M$ stuff as possible

htismaqe 01-31-2005 01:18 PM

I wouldn't bother using it...I haven't found it nearly as effective as Spybot S&D and/or AdAware...

ROYC75 01-31-2005 01:35 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't bother using it...I haven't found it nearly as effective as Spybot S&D and/or AdAware...

Thanks, when he informed me to use it, I was thining you had an issue with it.

He did mention that it is suppose to block them, something the others don't do.

Is this true ?

htismaqe 01-31-2005 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYC75
Thanks, when he informed me to use it, I was thining you had an issue with it.

He did mention that it is suppose to block them, something the others don't do.

Is this true ?

Yes, it is supposed to block them. And it actually does a pretty good job. Of the 50 or so applets I threw at it, it blocked quite a few.

The problem is that NO spyware tool today is foolproof, something will always find a way through.

And that's where the problem arose -- the one piece of spyware that got through had to be cleaned up with Spybot S&D and AdAware because the M$ software wasn't able to clean it...