ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Tell me about Tampa Bay? What do you know? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=226414)

MahiMike 04-13-2010 07:37 PM

They have 3 temperatures in Tampa; hot, hot and hot. But it still has a lot to offer. Unlike Phoenix, there's a breeze. I'd live in Clearwater myself. Pretty cool how everyone has a boat and anchors out in the gulf and swims to the restaurant/bar.

Mr. Laz 04-13-2010 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6671731)
No, I've not met "the source" in over 2 years. It's all email these says.

alright then ... i give you permission to move.

:fire:

MahiMike 04-13-2010 07:40 PM

I would definitely say the RE market has bottomed in FL. Buy on a canal where you can jump in your boat. Interest rates are going up too so the timing is the best ever.

Al Bundy 04-13-2010 08:17 PM

Ohh and great strip clubs in Ybor City... and if you want to go fishing with a great view, you can use the old Sunshine Skyway Piers and if you're unlucky, you will see a jumper.

BigRedChief 04-13-2010 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralphy Boy (Post 6671904)
The job market sucks and there are foreclosures everywhere. Don't know where your office would be but you should look at New Tampa. Nice newer area, but pretty far from the beach. If you like golf, its a good area to be in and the schools in that area are pretty good.

Some friends of ours moved here from there because the economy there was so bad.

Yeah the locals down there don't have the skill sets that I have so they had to do a nationwide search.

New Tampa would be about 30 mintue commute. I do a 25 mintue commute now.

DaneMcCloud 04-13-2010 09:04 PM

My folks were born and raised in KC and lived there until 1993, when my dad switched jobs. They lived in St. Pete's, in a nice gated community that was like 5 minutes away from the intercoastal waterways.

I visited several times a year until they left in 1998, a move which they deeply regret to this day. My Dad's office was just near the Yankees and Cardinals spring training facilities (at the time - I don't know where they spring train now) and he'd walk over on his lunch hour and watch the guys workout. He was quickly certified to dive and soon began spearfishing. He bought a jet ski early on and we'd go jet skiing in Tampa Bay, which was awesome. We could be 500 yards out and hit a sandbar! A year later, he bought a 25 foot center console fishing boat and we'd go fishing in the Gulf of Mexico. The fish, especially the red snapper, were amazing.

They had a 4 bedroom, 4 bathroom one level house with an screened in patio, a 32 foot pool and jacuzzi. They paid $178k for that place in 1993 but I don't think it's too much more to live there now. They were about 20 minutes from St. Pete's beach and the Don Caesar, which is a feature hotel. All the beaches were white sand, the water was clean and clear. In short, awesome.

One of the coolest aspects of St. Pete's were the bridges that connected it to Tampa. You could park your car and fish off the bridges on walkways constructed below the freeway/bridge. We'd grab a 5 gallon bucket of live shrimp, stick 'em on a hook and bring in everything from snapper, to amber jack to manta rays and more. It was a ton of fun.

The heat and humidity is bad in the summer, but as long as you have A/C and a pool, you'll be fine. It's far less humid in the winter, but it is still humid. I remember going there for Christmas 1995, walking out of the airport and BAM! That humidity! But, I live in a desert so I'm used to very, very dry air. They didn't feel it at all (but they do get dry when they visit Los Angeles, so go figure).

Good luck and keep us posted!

Al Bundy 04-13-2010 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 6672242)
My folks were born and raised in KC and lived there until 1993, when my dad switched jobs. They lived in St. Pete's, in a nice gated community that was like 5 minutes away from the intercoastal waterways.

I visited several times a year until they left in 1998, a move which they deeply regret to this day. My Dad's office was just near the Yankees and Cardinals spring training facilities (at the time - I don't know where they spring train now) and he'd walk over on his lunch hour and watch the guys workout. He was quickly certified to dive and soon began spearfishing. He bought a jet ski early on and we'd go jet skiing in Tampa Bay, which was awesome. We could be 500 yards out and hit a sandbar! A year later, he bought a 25 foot center console fishing boat and we'd go fishing in the Gulf of Mexico. The fish, especially the red snapper, were amazing.

They had a 4 bedroom, 4 bathroom one level house with an screened in patio, a 32 foot pool and jacuzzi. They paid $178k for that place in 1993 but I don't think it's too much more to live there now. They were about 20 minutes from St. Pete's beach and the Don Caesar, which is a feature hotel. All the beaches were white sand, the water was clean and clear. In short, awesome.

One of the coolest aspects of St. Pete's were the bridges that connected it to Tampa. You could park your car and fish off the bridges on walkways constructed below the freeway/bridge. We'd grab a 5 gallon bucket of live shrimp, stick 'em on a hook and bring in everything from snapper, to amber jack to manta rays and more. It was a ton of fun.

The heat and humidity is bad in the summer, but as long as you have A/C and a pool, you'll be fine. It's far less humid in the winter, but it is still humid. I remember going there for Christmas 1995, walking out of the airport and BAM! That humidity! But, I live in a desert so I'm used to very, very dry air. They didn't feel it at all (but they do get dry when they visit Los Angeles, so go figure).

Good luck and keep us posted!

Those are the old sunshine skyway, one of them was knocked down in 1980 by a barge. Great fishing.

DaneMcCloud 04-13-2010 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCFGoldenKnight (Post 6672254)
Those are the old sunshine skyway, one of them was knocked down in 1980 by a barge. Great fishing.

I remember the Sunshine Skyway - it was a HUGE green/blue all metal bridge. That thing was kinda scary.

The bridge I'm referring to (and I apologize for my sketchy memory) was a straight line bridge that we drive on from the airport straight to St. Pete's. We'd fish from those as well. I remember they were very wide and there was one for going to St. Pete's and another for going back to Tampa. It would take about 12-15 minutes on the bridge to get back and forth.

I'll call my parents tomorrow because I'm sure they'll remember the name.

Red, another very cool aspect (at least to me) is that Tampa has NFL, MLB and NHL hockey. Also, Disneyworld was about 90 minutes away by car, tops. If you haven't been, Disneyworld and Epcot are incredible. I could freaking live there.

CosmicPal 04-13-2010 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 6672267)
I remember the Sunshine Skyway - it was a HUGE green/blue all metal bridge. That thing was kinda scary.

It has since been painted white and looks gorgeous.

The Sunshine Skyway fishing pier is supposed to be the world's longest fishing pier.

http://z.about.com/d/goflorida/1/0/o...shingPier2.jpg

CosmicPal 04-13-2010 10:55 PM

The Sunshine Skyway bridge

http://loycehoodphoto.com/images/Day..._LDH3_8829.jpg

DaneMcCloud 04-13-2010 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CosmicPal (Post 6672493)
It has since been painted white and looks gorgeous.

The Sunshine Skyway fishing pier is supposed to be the world's longest fishing pier.

Awesome!

How many people were eaten by sharks during the makeover?

:evil:

clyde05 04-14-2010 01:12 AM

brc, i lived in kansas city for 27 years before i decided to move to palm harbor, fl which is located in by tarpon springs and clearwater. I love it here, yes its hot in the summer time but not any hotter then it gets in kc in august. you will love the weather. This is a good time to buy as real estate has pretty much bottomed out. it is a nice area but totally different then kc. If you want any more info just let me know, would be glad to help you.

BigRedChief 04-14-2010 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde05 (Post 6672643)
brc, i lived in kansas city for 27 years before i decided to move to palm harbor, fl which is located in by tarpon springs and clearwater. I love it here, yes its hot in the summer time but not any hotter then it gets in kc in august. you will love the weather. This is a good time to buy as real estate has pretty much bottomed out. it is a nice area but totally different then kc. If you want any more info just let me know, would be glad to help you.

Okay, If I accept the offer I'll take you up on that.

DaKCMan AP 04-14-2010 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 6672267)

The bridge I'm referring to (and I apologize for my sketchy memory) was a straight line bridge that we drive on from the airport straight to St. Pete's. We'd fish from those as well. I remember they were very wide and there was one for going to St. Pete's and another for going back to Tampa. It would take about 12-15 minutes on the bridge to get back and forth.

I'll call my parents tomorrow because I'm sure they'll remember the name.

Red, another very cool aspect (at least to me) is that Tampa has NFL, MLB and NHL hockey. Also, Disneyworld was about 90 minutes away by car, tops. If you haven't been, Disneyworld and Epcot are incredible. I could freaking live there.

People can fish off the Sunshine Skyway. The Skyway connects St. Pete to Bradenton/Sarasota.

There are 3 bridges that connect Clearwater/St. Pete to Tampa: The Courtney Campbell Causeway, The Howard Frankland (I-275), and The Gandy Bridge. You can pull off to the side and fish off of both the Gandy and Courtney Campbell.

BigMeatballDave 04-14-2010 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 6672012)
They have 3 temperatures in Tampa; hot, hot and hot. But it still has a lot to offer. Unlike Phoenix, there's a breeze. I'd live in Clearwater myself. Pretty cool how everyone has a boat and anchors out in the gulf and swims to the restaurant/bar.

I spent 4 months in Mesa, I always noticed a breeze blowing...