ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Damn I miss Dick Vermiel! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266413)

tk13 11-10-2012 12:35 AM

I will say this, Pioli wishes he could do what they did with that offense. I'm not sure anyone in the last two decades has done anything close. They traded for a backup QB, got a RB off the scrapheap, traded a midround pick for a washed up LT, converted a FB to LG, signed another team's backup center, grabbed a castoff WR from a division rival, converted a midget college RB, and created one of the best offenses of all time.

DaneMcCloud 11-10-2012 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9102860)
I'm with you. Holmes has good numbers here. He was a patient back with good vision. He made a ton of cash because he was running behind arguably one of the best offensive lines assembled in the history of the NFL. I'd hate to see the guy behind this line. Nike wouldn't even manufacture a #31 jersey.

We all used to talk about this back in the day. It's kind of funny to revisit it, 11 years later, and have people refer to it as some kind of "glory days" silliness.

And for those that don't know, Phobes is the man that coined the nickname:

TrInt.

Phobia 11-10-2012 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9102864)
We all used to talk about this back in the day. It's kind of funny to revisit it, 11 years later, and have people refer to it as some kind of "glory days" silliness.

And for those that don't know, Phobes is the man that coined the nickname:

TrInt.

I came to appreciate Green playing within his abilities. But that first year was horrific. Green was another Holmes-like beneficiary of that offensive line, that system. Made him a rich man too. Shows that having a team and coaches who can play to your strengths and hide your weaknesses works. That staff gets credit for that, for sure. I wish we had some of that today but as good as that offense was, the defense was twice as bad. Probably even worse than today's defense.

bobbything 11-10-2012 12:46 AM

This is awesome. People actually railing on the best offense this franchise has ever seen and then quantifying the criticism with how bad those players were with OTHER teams.

I've seen it all.

We were awful on offense in the 90's with Marty, for the record..

bobbything 11-10-2012 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9102876)
I came to appreciate Green playing within his abilities. But that first year was horrific. Green was another Holmes-like beneficiary of that offensive line, that system. Made him a rich man too. Shows that having a team and coaches who can play to your strengths and hide your weaknesses works. That staff gets credit for that, for sure. I wish we had some of that today but as good as that offense was, the defense was twice as bad. Probably even worse than today's defense.

Many players were beneficiaries of a great offensive line. The Skins of the late 80's and Cowboys of early 90's were some of the best lines ever. Aikman was basically Trent Green. Emmit Smith, Priest Holmes.

tk13 11-10-2012 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbything (Post 9102879)
This is awesome. People actually railing on the best offense this franchise has ever seen and then quantifying the criticism with how bad those players were with OTHER teams.

I've seen it all.

Welcome to ChiefsPlanet, where everything that's good sucks, every Super Bowl winning coach is lucky, every 1st round QB is Aaron Rodgers, and cornerback is the most important position on the defense. If you've been here longer than 5 minutes you've seen it in action.

Phobia 11-10-2012 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbything (Post 9102879)

That's simply not true. In years we made the playoffs, we typically had a top 10 offense. The defense was the emphasis but they weren't awful.

Phobia 11-10-2012 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbything (Post 9102882)
Many players were beneficiaries of a great offensive line. The Skins of the late 80's and Cowboys of early 90's were some of the best lines ever. Aikman was basically Trent Green. Emmit Smith, Priest Holmes.

There's some truth to that. That's why this is team game. That's why I don't give a rip about individual awards. Bring me a Lombardi.

Phobia 11-10-2012 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9102883)
Welcome to ChiefsPlanet, where everything that's good sucks, every Super Bowl winning coach is lucky, every 1st round QB is Aaron Rodgers, and cornerback is the most important position on the defense. If you've been here longer than 5 minutes you've seen it in action.

Most of us married supermodels and our mistresses are younger supermodels with bigger racks. What do you expect?

bobbything 11-10-2012 01:00 AM

You're right Phobia, we were typically top 15 in both. I'm just conjuring up images of our padding offense in those playoff games.

bobbything 11-10-2012 01:01 AM

*passing

Phobia 11-10-2012 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbything (Post 9102894)
You're right Phobia, we were typically top 15 in both. I'm just conjuring up images of our padding offense in those playoff games.

It's natural for those memories to rise to the top. They were top 10 in offense a number of years and I think top 3 in 97.

|Zach| 11-10-2012 01:10 AM

He was kind of a mercenary that never really embraced Kansas City but damn....I absolutely *loved* watching Priest Holmes run. I have fun memories of some of the things that team was able to do on the ground.

bobbything 11-10-2012 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9102901)
It's natural for those memories to rise to the top. They were top 10 in offense a number of years and I think top 3 in 97.

Jesus, we were 5th and 1st, in offense and defense (respectively) that year. And that was with Gannon and Grtard splitting the starting duties. Our rushing offense must have been awesome because neither of these guys had a QB rating of over 79.

bobbything 11-10-2012 01:21 AM

*rushing

Sorry, on my phone fat-fingering everything.