ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Excerpts from Friday's ESPN Page 2 Sportsguy (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=155271)

TN_Chief 12-29-2006 11:55 AM

Excerpts from Friday's ESPN Page 2 Sportsguy

You can read the entire article here.
Quote:

Random note: Congrats to Herm Edwards for turning Larry Johnson into the modern-day Earl Campbell. Four hundred carries in one season?!?!?!?!?!?!?? Did you know he's 27 carries away from breaking Jamal Anderson's record of 410? Here's how many carries Jamal had the following season: 19. I can't get over this. Let's say John Gibbons switched to a four-man rotation this spring and Roy Halladay cracked the 300-inning mark by Labor Day. Would an hour go by without somebody on "Baseball Tonight" or ESPN.com or Baseball Prospectus mentioning how absolutely insane this was? Meanwhile, we have Herm running poor LJ into the ground and everything's cool. Even if they end up making the playoffs, he's going to be a carcass by mid-January. Ridiculous. Why does this stuff make me so angry?
Quote:

Speaking of Madden, I've had multiple readers imploring me to start a "Save Tomlinson from appearing on the Madden 2008 cover" campaign. Intriguing. Part of me wants to save him; part of me can't forgive him for stealing Lawrence Taylor's nickname and boning me over in my fantasy title game last week. Couldn't we just convince EA Sports to stick Larry Johnson on there? We already know he's breaking down next season. He's the logical guy. It even could be a picture of LJ being tackled by nine guys as Herm Edwards looks on nonchalantly in the background.
I don't usually agree with the Sportsguy. But in this case...I'm holding my breath.

teedubya 12-29-2006 11:58 AM

LaDainian HAS to go on the Madden cover. heh.

El Jefe 12-29-2006 11:59 AM

No way he is gonna "break down" he is comparing Jamaal Anderson to LJ, big difference like 30 pounds and considering this is LJ's first full season, no way he breaks down the man is a tank. My referance of Anderson to LJ is this: LJ is younger and bigger and he doesnt take a lot of vicious hits, he gives them, and so he doesnt absorb as much IMO.

Deberg_1990 12-29-2006 12:00 PM

The thing that stings the most about LJ is him getting so much work, yet the best we will be is
9-7 and out of the playoffs.

It would be far more acceptable if we were sitting at 12-3

What a waste....

TN_Chief 12-29-2006 12:02 PM

I hope you're right GoLJ...I seem to remember Jamaal being a pretty big/bruising runner. Time will tell, and as much as I dislike Herm I'd prefer that my feelings not be validated by watching a future superstar end up toasted.

El Jefe 12-29-2006 12:06 PM

Deberg_1990, Yeah I agree it wouldnt be so bad if all those carries got us somewhere, instead of getting front row seats to watch from the couch. Honestly TN_Chief I hope I am right too LOL.

OnTheWarpath15 12-29-2006 12:08 PM

The year Anderson got 410 carries was his 5th year in the league, his 3rd as the starter.

This is LJ's second year with a heavy load. If he gets 400+ again next year, maybe I'll get concerned.

BTW, Anderson was 5'11" and 237.......

Simplex3 12-29-2006 12:09 PM

What is it about us as human beings that makes us (kcchiefsfanGoLJ) believe that the things related to us are somehow immune from reality? Historically in the NFL it is the big backs that do break down. Of the elite backs it's the smaller guys that have longer, healthier careers. Big guys who get the rock 350+ times in a season blow a knee early the next.

StcChief 12-29-2006 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplex3
What is it about us as human beings that makes us (kcchiefsfanGoLJ) believe that the things related to us are somehow immune from reality? Historically in the NFL it is the big backs that do break down. Of the elite backs it's the smaller guys that have longer, healthier careers. Big guys who get the rock 350+ times in a season blow a knee early the next.

With that logic it's time to trade LJ in off season for 1st and 3rd rounder or combo deal with good player.

We could be the new Dungver and just plug in any back. :)

TN_Chief 12-29-2006 12:17 PM

I don't think that's what Simplex is suggesting Stc...how about we just moderate LJ's workload a bit? It'd be nice to have him around (and productive) for awhile.

Simplex3 12-29-2006 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StcChief
With that logic it's time to trade LJ in off season for 1st and 3rd rounder or combo deal with good player.

We could be the new Dungver and just plug in any back. :)

I'm not saying it WILL happen but if you're playing the odds that's a smart move. Add to that the contract issues we're going to have with him, the fact that he doesn't want to be in KC, and the age of our rapidly declining OL and it might be smart of us to move him if we can get 2+ quality starters for him.

Or he could be the guy that breaks the mold. I'd say the chances of that are slim, though.

L.A. Chieffan 12-29-2006 12:20 PM

HAHA sports guy is funny and correct. LJ is being WAAAAy overused.
Not that we don't already know that.

Simplex3 12-29-2006 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TN_Chief
I don't think that's what Simplex is suggesting Stc...how about we just moderate LJ's workload a bit? It'd be nice to have him around (and productive) for awhile.

This was the real answer, but that ship sailed when Herm showed up.

wazu 12-29-2006 12:21 PM

LJ won't come close to breaking Jamal's actual carry number, cause he won't be in the playoffs.

ptlyon 12-29-2006 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam
LJ won't come close to breaking Jamal's actual carry number, cause he won't be in the playoffs.

He averages 25 a game - he might.