ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Not a Humblebrag, but interesting thing just happened... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274200)

Sully 06-30-2013 02:29 PM

Not a Humblebrag, but interesting thing just happened...

So I'm leaving my house to meet the family for a late lunch. I get to the end of the street, and running along the parallel street is a girl, 8-9 years old, wearing only a diaper. I roll down the window to try and ask where she's supposed to be, and she keeps running. I get out and follow her for a while, and she runs onto 78 highway and starts running down through traffic.
My daughter was in my car, so I didn't want to follow this girl too far, but some other people had stopped, I made sure they had called 911, and went back to my car.
I get in my car and turn the direction she was running, and she had made it quite a way, and traffic was stopped in all directions. Several older people were trying to grab her and hold her with little success. I'm a SPED teacher, and CPI certified (basically how to hold children who are a danger to themselves or others), so I pull off the road, and go step in to put her in a "child protective hold." She was, understandably, scared out of her mind, unable to communicate, and spent the whole time (till police arrived) trying to hit, kick, and bite me and others (the hold was difficult, as she had no clothes on, and was sweaty from running.
So anyway, cops showed up, got my info, and I left. But now I'm always gonna be wondering what that was all about, if she's safe, etc.

Buck 06-30-2013 02:31 PM

Good on ya.

LoneWolf 06-30-2013 02:32 PM

Does Hootie live close to you? Maybe the roofie wore off and she escaped while he was busy destroying a coffee table.

Seriously though, nice work.

Phobia 06-30-2013 02:34 PM

Good man.

BlackHelicopters 06-30-2013 02:36 PM

Good deed.

In58men 06-30-2013 02:37 PM

Chest bump

Canofbier 06-30-2013 02:40 PM

No fair! I always get in trouble when I chase and wrestle with sweaty, naked little girls. :(

For real, though, good work. I hope that she's alright, wherever it is that she was returned to.

mlyonsd 06-30-2013 02:42 PM

Nice job.

Buehler445 06-30-2013 02:46 PM

Wow. That's crazy. 7-8 YO wearing a diaper and can't talk?

WTF?

Good on you buddy.

cabletech94 06-30-2013 03:09 PM

good work, sully.

good guy all around. you did what anyone of us would have. 'cept for hootie.

DanT 06-30-2013 03:13 PM

Nice job, Sully!

LiveSteam 06-30-2013 03:18 PM

dam that would freak me out to. Way to go.

Rain Man 06-30-2013 03:22 PM

Pretty cool. Nice work.

I'm curious, though. How do you get certified in putting a child in a "child protective hold"? For your final exam, do they have midgets run around a courtyard while you try to catch them?

DeezNutz 06-30-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9785108)
Pretty cool. Nice work.

I'm curious, though. How do you get certified in putting a child in a "child protective hold"? For your final exam, do they have midgets run around a courtyard while you try to catch them?

"Little People." I would expect a poster from Bronco land to get that.

Rain Man 06-30-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9785112)
"Little People." I would expect a poster from Bronco land to get that.

I might have to get that certification. It sounds like a lot of fun.

ottawa_chiefs_fan 06-30-2013 05:14 PM

good for you - what a ****ed-up world

listopencil 06-30-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9785023)
Wow. That's crazy. 7-8 YO wearing a diaper and can't talk?

WTF?

Good on you buddy.

This. Good thing you were in the right place at the right time.

listopencil 06-30-2013 05:41 PM

I eagerly await the parody thread.

griZZly64 06-30-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Pretty cool. Nice work.

My lady works in child psychology. If they go "hands on" they have to know how to correctly put them in a hold. It's lame, I know. If you don't do it as you're trained I guess they can label it child abuse or something. Even if they sink their teeth into you as hard as they can you gotta follow your training.

Fairplay 06-30-2013 07:17 PM

But did you quit smoking

Rain Man 06-30-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by griZZly64 (Post 9785390)
My lady works in child psychology. If they go "hands on" they have to know how to correctly put them in a hold. It's lame, I know. If you don't do it as you're trained I guess they can label it child abuse or something. Even if they sink their teeth into you as hard as they can you gotta follow your training.

If you use a Figure 4 leglock I bet they can't get their teeth close enough to bite you. However, children are limber and I'm not certified, so I could be wrong.

Bwana 06-30-2013 07:36 PM

Well played.

Sully 06-30-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Pretty cool. Nice work.

That would be a hell of a lot more fun.

Sully 06-30-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by griZZly64 (Post 9785390)

I was turned in to the state by a student and his grandma for child abuse this past school year. Luckily, I had done everything by "the book" as far as hands on went, and had plenty of witnesses. That doesn't mean I wasn't scared shitless during the investigation and interview process, though.
It also helps that this kid wayyy overplayed his hand, complained of nonexistent injuries and damages, and that our school resource officer was present the entire time my restraint of him was taking place. I'll be honest, though, when I got that letter from the state, I seriously wished I had actually done the things he accused me of. That's some career ending shit, if it hasn't gone my way.

Deberg_1990 06-30-2013 09:43 PM

Great job bro.

8/9 years old in a diaper???

DaFace 06-30-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9785656)
Great job bro.

Gotta be some sort of special needs kid.

Sully 06-30-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9785662)
Gotta be some sort of special needs kid.

She definitely was.
I saw no signs of abuse. She was clean, her hair was nice, she didn't seem malnourished or anything.
I suspect that she either lives here in the neighborhood or was at a relative's house, had been out down for a nap, and "escaped."
She had no communication skills other than grunting and yelling, and was trying to bite.
I really wish I knew the conclusion of the story. It's gonna eat at me for a while.

DaFace 06-30-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 9785670)
She definitely was.
I saw no signs of abuse. She was clean, her hair was nice, she didn't seem malnourished or anything.
I suspect that she either lives here in the neighborhood or was at a relative's house, had been out down for a nap, and "escaped."
She had no communication skills other than grunting and yelling, and was trying to bite.
I really wish I knew the conclusion of the story. It's gonna eat at me for a while.

Could you just call the police station and ask?

Sully 06-30-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9785673)
Could you just call the police station and ask?

I guess I could. I just assume they can't give out that info, especially involving a minor.

Just Passin' By 06-30-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 9785670)
She definitely was.

If you know what station the cops were from, you can go down there and tell them who you are. They might be willing to give you some answers.

Ace Gunner 06-30-2013 09:53 PM

ya good goin. I bet if you call that police dept and tell them who you are and some details, they will get you in touch with the attending officer and you'll at least get some kind of indication.

DaFace 06-30-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 9785675)
I guess I could. I just assume they can't give out that info, especially involving a minor.

I'm sure some of it will be, but I'd bet they can at least give you the gist of it.

Ace Gunner 06-30-2013 09:54 PM

heh fooked dup

Stanley Nickels 06-30-2013 10:36 PM

I have a low-functioning autistic cousin who used to do shit like this in Philadelphia. The family had to move because she was so set on getting out of the house, and they lived right near the freeway. She's 25 now and still wears a diaper :-\

Phobia 06-30-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Pretty cool. Nice work.

Tooge teaches classes on Friday nights out at the ballpark.

mikey23545 06-30-2013 11:55 PM

Way to not turn your back on someone in need, Sully...I'm afraid many do, nowadays...

:thumb:

T-post Tom 07-01-2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Pretty cool. Nice work.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sZWyYwtx-C4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dunit35 07-01-2013 12:29 AM

Police reports are open records. Our department gives copies, just whites out names in the report.

rtmike 07-01-2013 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9785656)
Great job bro.

And your point...

I'm 48 and, ah never mind. LMAO

crazycoffey 07-01-2013 01:06 AM

We have two state schools in the area I work, the holds you speak of, I've seen work and fail in action. Couldn't pay me enough to do that job. Hold a 14 year old with man strength, until he calms down. No thanks.

Good job on the kid, too many people will look the other way and not help. You seem like a good person, dude.

CrazyPhuD 07-01-2013 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 9785653)
I was turned in to the state by a student and his grandma for child abuse this past school year. Luckily, I had done everything by "the book" as far as hands on went, and had plenty of witnesses. That doesn't mean I wasn't scared shitless during the investigation and interview process, though.
It also helps that this kid wayyy overplayed his hand, complained of nonexistent injuries and damages, and that our school resource officer was present the entire time my restraint of him was taking place. I'll be honest, though, when I got that letter from the state, I seriously wished I had actually done the things he accused me of. That's some career ending shit, if it hasn't gone my way.

And this is the singular reason that many people choose not to get involved. It's not because they don't care, it's because you don't know what crazy idiot is going to make shit up and try to sue you because you were trying to do the right thing!:shake:

Glad you do the work you do, it's not for everyone it requires great patience and the ability to try to help those who may never have the ability to thank you for what you do.:clap:

Direckshun 07-01-2013 01:33 AM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GgcetaNH_48" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bevischief 07-01-2013 06:02 AM

Good job.

tooge 07-01-2013 06:08 AM

That's two child protective choke holds on CP in one weekend. That my grinds is a goocher.

Garcia Bronco 07-01-2013 06:18 AM

Well done. It takes a village.

Chief Roundup 07-01-2013 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 9785675)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 9785676)
If you know what station the cops were from, you can go down there and tell them who you are. They might be willing to give you some answers.

If nothing else they could take your contact information and relay it to the parents or guardian of the child.

Chief Roundup 07-01-2013 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD (Post 9785830)
And this is the singular reason that many people choose not to get involved. It's not because they don't care, it's because you don't know what crazy idiot is going to make shit up and try to sue you because you were trying to do the right thing!:shake:

Glad you do the work you do, it's not for everyone it requires great patience and the ability to try to help those who may never have the ability to thank you for what you do.:clap:

It is sad but there definitely is truth in the statement of "No good deed goes unpunished".

InChiefsHeaven 07-01-2013 09:49 AM

I tried to do the right thing a few years ago. Delivering pizzas, I saw some kid just bite it on his bike. Pulled over, offered to help...but I was a strange man in a car...so I got out of the car and approached...and realized with every step and every word I was just scaring the shit out of these kids. I didn't want to leave him there crying, and one of his friends went to grab the kid's parents. When dad finally showed up, he didn't even notice my existence, barely nodded at me when I tried to explain what I saw.

It was weird, and really made me realize why many people DON'T get involved when they see stuff like that.

Good on you. You had the tools and knowledge to take care of the situation. Kudos.

Sully 07-01-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 9786039)
I tried to do the right thing a few years ago. Delivering pizzas, I saw some kid just bite it on his bike. Pulled over, offered to help...but I was a strange man in a car...so I got out of the car and approached...and realized with every step and every word I was just scaring the shit out of these kids. I didn't want to leave him there crying, and one of his friends went to grab the kid's parents. When dad finally showed up, he didn't even notice my existence, barely nodded at me when I tried to explain what I saw.

It was weird, and really made me realize why many people DON'T get involved when they see stuff like that.

Good on you. You had the tools and knowledge to take care of the situation. Kudos.

I was definitely concerned when I stepped in to restrain that it would look like I was somehow attacking this girl, so I made sure to, loudly, say who I was and what my training was, and basically play-by-play my every movement;
"I'm sitting in the ground with her. I'm grabbing her left wrist with my right hand, and folding it under her arm so she can't hit or bite. This is called a CPI child protective hold," etc...
All the while trying to calmly talk to the girl and let her know I wasn't trying to hurt her, although she wasn't in a reasonable place internally, so there was no reasoning with her.
When the first police officer for there and walked up, I let go of one arm, thinking he'd take over, but he just looked at me and said, "If you've got her, I just want you to stay there while I figure out..."
So at the very least I knew he didn't think I was doing anything wrong.

Sully 07-01-2013 10:06 AM

After that my only real worry was that there was a crowd, and my car was 50 yards away with my daughter in it. I never lost sight of it, and traffic be damned, if someone headed toward my car I'd have let go of this girl immediately.
Twice I asked people to go check on my daughter and tell her daddy would be right over.
Turns out she had unbuckled herself and was watching the whole time... So she had TONS of questions.
Leading me to realize how difficult it is to explain LD to a 4-year old without demeaning another person.