ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Washington DC and The Holy Land (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Misc I'm Adam Lanza's mother. Itís time for a meaningful conversation about mental illness (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267737)

Deberg_1990 12-17-2012 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9216467)
That article says nothing about her being a "survivalist" or "obsessed with guns".

We are starting to hear more and more about "Mommy Dearest"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-collapse.html

PhillyChiefFan 12-17-2012 07:41 AM

My wife works in this field and she has been saying this since she began working in it.

She said that some of the most dangerous people she has worked with, can simply say "I don't want to be here anymore" and they have to, BY LAW, release them. Even though they KNOW they are a danger to themselves, their family and society in general. It is way more difficult to commit someone against their will.

Personally, that scares the hell out of me. Even people that say "I need help, I can't go back out into society" are released because they haven't done anything dangerous. Only when they kill someone or threaten them with a knife are they taken seriously...

The gun debate is secondary to the root cause of this, IMO. Yes, the mother should have locked those guns up. Hell she shouldn't have even HAD them in her house with this kid, but these people are mentally insane they will find a way if the root problem is not addressed.

My wife has said long before this tragedy that how mental illnesses are treated in this country is a larger part of these tragedies than most people realize. Obviously no person of right mind would go in and shoot 5-10 year olds. Families begged her facility to keep people because they were scared, and they have to release them because they haven't been charged with anything.

It's terrible that hindsight seems to be the only method used to address situations like what happened. People blame guns, but there is a much deeper aspect that isn't as simple of a solution. Putting people with illnesses like Adam Lanza had back into society with a mental disturbance as pronounced as it seemed to have been, and those kids like the one in the OP's article, creates a situation where all the ingredents are present for a tragedy like Sandy Hook, Columbine, or VA Tech.

I just hope that gun control isn't the only thing addressed after this tragedy and we, as a nation, start to talk about the deeper issue with these school shootings, and not just the method in which they carry it out.

bevischief 12-17-2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baitism (Post 9216353)
Can't we just send them all to an island and film what goes on there as a reality tv show?

Redneck island.

bevischief 12-17-2012 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9216365)
Who's willing to pay more in taxes to (maybe) solve this problem? That's what it comes down to.

Make pot legal and tax it and the government could do this and more.

jspchief 12-17-2012 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyChiefFan (Post 9217425)
My wife works in this field and she has been saying this since she began working in it.

She said that some of the most dangerous people she has worked with, can simply say "I don't want to be here anymore" and they have to, BY LAW, release them. Even though they KNOW they are a danger to themselves, their family and society in general. It is way more difficult to commit someone against their will.

Personally, that scares the hell out of me. Even people that say "I need help, I can't go back out into society" are released because they haven't done anything dangerous. Only when they kill someone or threaten them with a knife are they taken seriously...

The gun debate is secondary to the root cause of this, IMO. Yes, the mother should have locked those guns up. Hell she shouldn't have even HAD them in her house with this kid, but these people are mentally insane they will find a way if the root problem is not addressed.

My wife has said long before this tragedy that how mental illnesses are treated in this country is a larger part of these tragedies than most people realize. Obviously no person of right mind would go in and shoot 5-10 year olds. Families begged her facility to keep people because they were scared, and they have to release them because they haven't been charged with anything.

It's terrible that hindsight seems to be the only method used to address situations like what happened. People blame guns, but there is a much deeper aspect that isn't as simple of a solution. Putting people with illnesses like Adam Lanza had back into society with a mental disturbance as pronounced as it seemed to have been, and those kids like the one in the OP's article, creates a situation where all the ingredents are present for a tragedy like Sandy Hook, Columbine, or VA Tech.

I just hope that gun control isn't the only thing addressed after this tragedy and we, as a nation, start to talk about the deeper issue with these school shootings, and not just the method in which they carry it out.

This is exactly the type of thing I'm talking about when I say:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 9217106)
The sad things is that there is a bigger effort to protects the rights of the crazy people than protect the safety of those they put at risk.

We need to start treating dangerous mentally ill people like they are dangerous first, and people second. Put the good of the many ahead of the good on the individual.

And maybe a positive side effect is it will put an end to all the punk ass behavioral disorder kids that think they can get away with acting like psychopaths.

tooge 12-17-2012 08:06 AM

I'm a believer in evolution, survival of the fittest, and natural adaptation as a means for bettering a species. 10,000 years ago, the kid referenced in the story would have been sacrificed or used as bait to attract the predators stalking the "normal and productive" members of the community. I know I'm in the minority here, so I expect to be flamed on, but people like this need to be hospital bound. If you know you are the mother of a monster, then get rid of the monster.

Ace Gunner 12-17-2012 08:28 AM

sweep it under the rug /christianity & the rich leaders

I don't want to pay for this /moron who thinks just like the devout christian^

Borderline Personality Disorder or BPD folks. Scientists/doctors are the only qualified authority to begin handling this. Prison is not money well spent.

Ace Gunner 12-17-2012 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9217466)
I'm a believer in evolution, survival of the fittest, and natural adaptation as a means for bettering a species. 10,000 years ago, the kid referenced in the story would have been sacrificed or used as bait to attract the predators stalking the "normal and productive" members of the community. I know I'm in the minority here, so I expect to be flamed on, but people like this need to be hospital bound. If you know you are the mother of a monster, then get rid of the monster.

apparently you missed the point of this article.

loochy 12-17-2012 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 9217455)
This is exactly the type of thing I'm talking about when I say:

We need to start treating dangerous mentally ill people like they are dangerous first, and people second. Put the good of the many ahead of the good on the individual.

And maybe a positive side effect is it will put an end to all the punk ass behavioral disorder kids that think they can get away with acting like psychopaths.

This is what it really comes down to.

Do we want to coddle them and risk things like this shooting, or do we want to lock em up and try to work with them from there?

loochy 12-17-2012 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou_Zare (Post 9217512)

Borderline Personality Disorder or BPD folks. Scientists/doctors are the only qualified authority to begin handling this. Prison is not money well spent.

Tell that to the parents of all those dead kids.

WhiteWhale 12-17-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou_Zare (Post 9217512)

Prisons are big business. Don't kid yourself... private investors get rich off of the intentionally inflated prison population. That's why we have more prisoners than any other country in the world.

Dayze 12-17-2012 08:42 AM

we're good at building and filling prisons; and starting/perpetuating wars.

these are big industries for us. we pretty much suck at everything else.

except American Idol.....we kick ass at that.

CoMoChief 12-17-2012 08:46 AM

A lot of these kids are from single parent homes (mostly living w/ mom).

They cant be properly disciplined at times because there's only so much a woman can do phyically and emotionally to a son.

Had a father been around (generally speaking) that kid probably would have gotten his ass kicked. I know if I ****ed up and threw a fit and acted like that my dad would have beaten the living daylights out of me until I knew, until it was implanted into my brain to never do that again.

To this day there's not 1 person on this planet that can literally scare me..........except my own dad. It's just the way it is.

Now, if that happens and a school finds out, here come CPS, they take you away and your owned by the state, or they send out off to a mental hospital and the wacko Dr's fill your kid up with Prozac and ritalin and all kinds of other wacko drugs that permanently **** up your brain for life. Hell they even tell pilots that certain drugs are banned no ifs ands or buts, because the side effects can make you snap and go crazy and do something stupid in times of stress, yet they're giving kids these drugs.

Ace Gunner 12-17-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9217532)
Tell that to the parents of all those dead kids.

just keep telling yourself criminally insane folks will come out "rehabilitated" and that our system protected those kids last friday.

ndws 12-17-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9216366)
I think that is something that should be mandated by our society. Yes, you don't lose your 2nd amendment rights because you live with a mentally ill person. But, you must secure your guns so that they can't use them against society. But, if the mentally ill person does get the guns and commits crimes, you are also responsible for their acts?

You mean actually addressing a problem at the source and expecting the people involved to show responsibility? Bah, its easier to scream 'gun control" and pray for something instead.

Logic and actual problem solving ARE NOT TEH WAY in 'Murica.