ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Have you ever been scammed? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=241222)

Jenson71 02-04-2011 04:37 PM

Have you ever been scammed?

I almost got scammed today. So close. I almost gave someone $46 for a magazine subscription. But when I got the people out of the apartment, I got the check back with an excuse, ripped it up, and told them to leave.

I'm damaged now. I used to be so trusting of people. No one has ever tried to outright steal from me. It pisses me off that 1) I didn't say no right away and 2) that people do this.

Yeah, it's a learning moment. I'm glad that ultimately nothing happened, but I'm disappointed in myself and in people right now.

Anyone got scam stories? I hate thieves. If you are a thief, AIDS tree yourself now.

Frazod 02-04-2011 04:42 PM

I got burned by some scumbags in Norfolk with the 3 card monte thing when I was 19. Was riding a bus to Military Circle Mall. One got on at one stop, the other got on two stops later, ignored each other for a few minutes, then started playing. ****ers got me hook line and sinker. Don't remember how much they got, but it was enough to be painful.

However, the best learning experiences are.

EDIT - it was certainly less than $250, since I was an E-nothing and didn't have a pot to piss in at the time.

eazyb81 02-04-2011 04:42 PM

You didn't really explain how you almost got scammed.

WebGem 02-04-2011 04:42 PM

Try 25k

Yeah not fun

listopencil 02-04-2011 04:43 PM

Never. I'm incredibly suspicious in real life.

Rain Man 02-04-2011 04:44 PM

I was approached by a woman with a dog a couple of years ago. She said she was really embarrassed, but she had just become homeless the day before and had no idea what to do. And her eyes teared up and her lip quivered and I gave her five bucks, primarily because of the dog. Then for the next year and a half I'd see her on the street telling other people the exact same story, including approaching me twice more. I asked her for my five dollars back, but she wouldn't return it.

DeezNutz 02-04-2011 04:44 PM

I bought a Chiefs hat before the '06 playoff game.

eazyb81 02-04-2011 04:45 PM

And yes, I remember explicitly a time in my high school days I was scammed when trying to purchase a "recreational" item.

I still remember the guy's name and have sworn to fuck him over eventually.

Rain Man 02-04-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WebGem (Post 7406700)
Try 25k

Yeah not fun

(Waving webgem over.) Let's hear it.

eazyb81 02-04-2011 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WebGem (Post 7406700)
Try 25k

Yeah not fun

You can't just throw that out and not follow it up with a story.....

Rain Man 02-04-2011 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 7406696)
I got burned by some scumbags in Norfolk with the 3 card monte thing when I was 19. Was riding a bus to Military Circle Mall. One got on at one stop, the other got on two stops later, ignored each other for a few minutes, then started playing. ****ers got me hook line and sinker. Don't remember how much they got, but it was enough to be painful.

However, the best learning experiences are.

When did you figure out that they were working together? I'm not sure I ever would've figured that out.

notorious 02-04-2011 04:47 PM

I got hit up by a guy carrying a card on Cherry Street in Tulsa that said,"I'm deaf, blah, blah, blah, donate 3 dollars, blah, blah"

I gave him a 5, and when he walked away my asshole buddy ran up on him and yelled really loud. The guy jumped about 10 feet in the air.

It was worth losing 5 bucks. LMAO

DaneMcCloud 02-04-2011 04:48 PM

I sold more than $3,000 dollars worth of electronic equipment to some questionable people. I was given a cashier's check for the full dollar amount and two weeks after depositing said check, it came back as being stolen.

I was out the equipment and the cash, which really hurt because I was broke as **** at the time.

My advice to anyone selling anything of value for cash, money order, Western Union or cashier's check is this:

Trust your gut.

Jenson71 02-04-2011 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81 (Post 7406699)
You didn't really explain how you almost got scammed.

Two kids my age come over earlier today, give me this line about doing some college competition, selling magazines. They schmooze, and the leader is a real talker. They ask me to put down three magazines I'd like. It's like one of those things kids in school send to their relatives for fundraisers. So, I'm thinking, okay, I'll get a magazine. They have a discount on Atlantic. They tell me the company that does this thing while I'm writing the check. I say that I'm going to check online about the Atlantic magazine, if it's the one I'm thinking of. It is. I also check out the company name and google that.

Lrumar Publications

Fraud. What should I do? I write them a check, and then soon after, I go outside and say, "Hey, actually I want another magazine, I can write you a new check." I take my check back and rip it up and tell them to get out of here.

notorious 02-04-2011 04:49 PM

I had a friend fall for the "White Van" scam.

:facepalm: