ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Tell me about Tampa Bay? What do you know? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=226414)

BigRedChief 04-13-2010 12:32 PM

Tell me about Tampa Bay? What do you know?

I told the company in Phoenix thanks but no thanks. Now, I've got a job in Tampa Bay that I've interviewed for, past the tech screen and HR wants to talk. What do I need to know about the area? Which ones are nice? Avoid? etc. Looks like you get beachfront property for 1/2 of what it was worth a year ago. Has the area real estate reached bottom yet?

The job would be at a military base in the area on the bay.

Mr. Flopnuts 04-13-2010 12:33 PM

The humidity during the summer is unbearable.

blaise 04-13-2010 12:33 PM

I know it's called Tampa, but that's about it.

eazyb81 04-13-2010 12:35 PM

Awesome area. Would love to settle down in one of the outer areas of Tampa like Clearwater, Largo, or Tarpon Springs.

BigRedChief 04-13-2010 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 6670561)
The humidity during the summer is unbearable.

I went there in July 2 years ago for a vacation. I know there is a trade off of no ice storms but you get the summer humidity. No tornados but hurricane threats instead.

booyaf2 04-13-2010 12:49 PM

They too have a football team that picks in the top 5 consistently!

Stevie.Wonder 04-13-2010 12:53 PM

It's a pretty good bet that the real estate is about as cheap as it will get around there. It's pretty bad. Mostly second homes or out of control development. Beware of the chinese drywall. I'm not a 'beware of XXX' guy, but this is serious. Most development was cheap, fast, and lazy. Chinese drywall and similarly shitty materials should be expected in general 'development' scenarios.

Tampa itself is a Disney version, imo, of where people go for fun but don't really mean it. YBAR is the downtown hotspot, the "Bourbon Street' of Tampa. Except you can't look sideways, can't play skip, can't do...X. Very highly patrolled, very highly regulated. If you've been to New Orleans, the Keys, Vegas, etc...Simply strolling down the street with a drink in hand in khakis might realistically get you questioned. It's not a police state, but if you're young and vibrant it's a little off-putting to be an urban downtown that resembles a 'family-friendly' entertainment arena (see: Disneyland).

The rest of the place is blue hairs and long, 2-3 lane stretches. The place caters to that. You can find alternatives is you seek it out, but there is a possiblilty you won't have the will after a while.

Beaches, sunshine, fishing is killer. St. Pete is pretty cool, and there is some great architecture around.

Stevie.Wonder 04-13-2010 01:01 PM

That said, I'm a total snob, btw. If you're in Phoenix, I think that town is a truckstop. It's hot and completely...ugh. The next block is a repeat of the last. Strip malls, sprall. Etc. No personality.

BUT...Within a few hours, in any direction, is absolute beauty and wonderment. Except the ocean.

BigRedChief 04-13-2010 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by booyaf2 (Post 6670610)
They too have a football team that picks in the top 5 consistently!

No matter where I live or how long I live, I shall cheer no other.:harumph:

BigRedChief 04-13-2010 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevie.Wonder (Post 6670650)
That said, I'm a total snob, btw. If you're in Phoenix, I think that town is a truckstop. It's hot and completely...ugh. The next block is a repeat of the last. Strip malls, sprall. Etc. No personality.

BUT...Within a few hours, in any direction, is absolute beauty and wonderment. Except the ocean.

I'm in the KC suburbs.

Stevie.Wonder 04-13-2010 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6670664)
I'm in the KC suburbs.

Hmm. The stomping grounds of the first lassie who stole a
bit of my heart. I approve.

The humidity is probably overblown, honestly, if that matters. The mid-west, Kansas, Missouri, can be just as oppressive. Those august days with 90+ heat, 85+% humidity won't be rare, but they aren't as frequent as said, either. They're also accompanied by a nice sea breeze. I'd venture a guess, if you were to check out the NOAA website, that Kansas hits 90+ more often than Tampa. Heat index/humidity included.

Deberg_1990 04-13-2010 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6670558)
past the tech screen

past or passed? :)

Stevie.Wonder 04-13-2010 01:18 PM

Sorry...How old are you/do you think you are?

Tampa is vastly different between being 22 and single, 40 and single, 30 and married, in between.

MOhillbilly 04-13-2010 01:18 PM

My mom loves it. If you can stand the heat that area has TONS of shit to do. She is always doin something,highland games, strawberry fest. rollin to tarpon springs to get hand rolled cigars, goin to the bars in dunedin.

She lived in lutz and it kinda sucked imo, where shes at now sounds awesome.

MOhillbilly 04-13-2010 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6670599)
I went there in July 2 years ago for a vacation. I know there is a trade off of no ice storms but you get the summer humidity. No tornados but hurricane threats instead.

not alot of hurricanes in tampa on par w/ the rest of the gulf coast.