ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics Samsung Galaxy Note 2 or Galaxy SIII? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266327)

The Franchise 11-07-2012 03:17 PM

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 or Galaxy SIII?

I'm looking to upgrade from my EVO and I'm trying to decide between these two "phones". Anyone have either one? Anyone tried both? Hit me with your knowledge.

L.A. Chieffan 11-07-2012 03:22 PM

I have the S3 and love it. For what Ive seen and read the Note 2 is exactly the same only bigger and more "suped" up. So... yeah.

DMAC 11-07-2012 03:25 PM

How big are your hands?

The Franchise 11-07-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMAC (Post 9096208)
How big are your hands?

The size of Fisty McTatt's head.

memyselfI 11-07-2012 03:30 PM

I have the S3 and it is literally the perfect phone, IMO. The width is perfect for my smallish hands and the length is good enough to see a ton of real estate in landscape. It is a bit long for my pocket but that is the only drawback. I love it. Can't wait to see what it's successor looks like.

DMAC 11-07-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9096216)

ROFL true

Yeah, your hands are small. Get an iphone.

Chazno 11-07-2012 04:13 PM

I'm looking at these two also along with the Nexus 4 which will be $350 unlocked.

loochy 11-07-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chazno (Post 9096360)
I'm looking at these two also along with the Nexus 4 which will be $350 unlocked.

I got my S3 at best buy for $99...good price. :)

KevB 11-07-2012 04:37 PM

Just got the Note 2 and love it so far (also coming from an EVO 4g). Really comes down to size and price I think. The Note 2 has a bit more horsepower as well. The S3 is also a great phone from all I've read and seen, so you can't go wrong.

-King- 11-07-2012 04:42 PM

Only bad thing about the S3 is the location of the power button. I always end up pushing a volume button on the other side when I push the power button. This either puts my phone on silent (if I press the down button) or on low ringer (if I press up). Then I'll end up with a missed call or text because it wasn't on vibrate.

WV 11-07-2012 04:47 PM

I'm waiting on the LG Optimus G before I decide. The specs are great on it, but I keep hearing negatives about LG's software support.

Stanley Nickels 11-07-2012 06:10 PM

Here are my issues with the S3, which I've owned for about a month and a half:

- Group Messaging. My friends use iMessage a lot, and there is little-to-no support for group text messaging. I have tried numerous third-party apps without luck (I hear Verizon Messenger is pretty good, but I have Sprint..), and constantly miss texts or receive group responses as individual messages.

- Silenced mode w/ headphone support. I use my headphones nearly all day. I listen to radio, podcasts, etc, and cannot keep my phone on "silent" if I want any volume through my headphones. If I receive any alerts (text/call) while listening, the actual device makes an external noise, too. I can silence alerts, but it would be more convenient to alert me via the headphones, and not the actual phone speaker.

- Poor WiFi signal. I have received absolutely TERRIBLE WiFi signal with this phone, despite having reset to factory defaults, and it's easily replicated with other devices right next to it. I know Apple artificially "boosts" the signal icon, but this is sporadic reception altogether, and I often lose signal when moving a matter of feet in any direction.

- Apps. I am VERY happy with the breadth and scope of Apps for the phone, especially those that allow you to tweak the way your phone acts (GUI), looks (alert colors), and sounds... but these apps often lacking. Certain apps simply aren't compatible with the S3, while others miss features that appear on the iPhone versions (my favorite app, TuneIn, is a radio app that has NO PAUSE FEATURE on the Android version).

The screen size is very nice, even if my palm does sometimes hit the "back" button while reaching for either the volume or power buttons; this is more an issue of me getting used to it, than it is a structural fault, despite Apple's advertising claims. The battery life is GREAT, as well.

Archie Bunker 11-07-2012 08:36 PM

I work for tech care at T-Mobile and I'd recommend the Note personally.

Dayze 11-07-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9096216)

LMAO

I still look through that thread now and again for a laugh. Even my wife looks at the thread with me.
I've tried to get her to join since she basically knows all about this place and most of the posters etc.

penguinz 11-08-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanley Nickels (Post 9096711)
Here are my issues with the S3, which I've owned for about a month and a half:

- Group Messaging. My friends use iMessage a lot, and there is little-to-no support for group text messaging. I have tried numerous third-party apps without luck (I hear Verizon Messenger is pretty good, but I have Sprint..), and constantly miss texts or receive group responses as individual messages.

- Silenced mode w/ headphone support. I use my headphones nearly all day. I listen to radio, podcasts, etc, and cannot keep my phone on "silent" if I want any volume through my headphones. If I receive any alerts (text/call) while listening, the actual device makes an external noise, too. I can silence alerts, but it would be more convenient to alert me via the headphones, and not the actual phone speaker.

- Poor WiFi signal. I have received absolutely TERRIBLE WiFi signal with this phone, despite having reset to factory defaults, and it's easily replicated with other devices right next to it. I know Apple artificially "boosts" the signal icon, but this is sporadic reception altogether, and I often lose signal when moving a matter of feet in any direction.

- Apps. I am VERY happy with the breadth and scope of Apps for the phone, especially those that allow you to tweak the way your phone acts (GUI), looks (alert colors), and sounds... but these apps often lacking. Certain apps simply aren't compatible with the S3, while others miss features that appear on the iPhone versions (my favorite app, TuneIn, is a radio app that has NO PAUSE FEATURE on the Android version).

The screen size is very nice, even if my palm does sometimes hit the "back" button while reaching for either the volume or power buttons; this is more an issue of me getting used to it, than it is a structural fault, despite Apple's advertising claims. The battery life is GREAT, as well.

I just got the s3 and get great wifi signals.