ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   LED TV Owners...need advice, please (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269799)

petegz28 02-07-2013 01:42 PM

LED TV Owners...need advice, please

Ok, my 14 yr old Sony Trinitron finally shot craps last night. I am looking at Plasma vs. LED. I know at one point on LCD TV's that sports porgrams had a bad tendancy to pixelate and thus Plasma was always suggested for sports viewing.

So I appeal to the LCD\LED owners of CP to inform me of your experiences.

Thanks!!!

ptlyon 02-07-2013 01:46 PM

I got 2 LCD tvs, no problem here. 120 hz.

PaulAllen 02-07-2013 01:54 PM

Plasmas will always get you a much higher refresh rate, which is better for sports and fast moving images plus they're cheaper. LED is better for glare unless you drop a lot of money on the super high end plasma. I would simply consider the room it's going to be in.

petegz28 02-07-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9385206)
I got 2 LCD tvs, no problem here. 120 hz.

No pixeling at all?

petegz28 02-07-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulAllen (Post 9385225)
Plasmas will always get you a much higher refresh rate, which is better for sports and fast moving images plus they're cheaper. LED is better for glare unless you drop a lot of money on the super high end plasma. I would simply consider the room it's going to be in.

Glare wouldn't be any worse on a plasma than it would a tube TV, correct?

QuikSsurfer 02-07-2013 02:12 PM

Unless you're worried about weight or power consumption - go with Plasma... Panny Plasma's are kinda the shit.

petegz28 02-07-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 9385274)
Unless you're worried about weight or power consumption - go with Plasma... Panny Plasma's are kinda the shit.

Really? Panasonic is what I was looking at getting.

memyselfI 02-07-2013 02:29 PM

Go with the Panasonic plasma. You will get infinitely more for your money. We have a 4 year old 55" that has a simply amazing picture. We had people over for the Superbowl who apparently have the same size in a Samsung and they were blown away by the picture on our tv. It's crazy how much tv you can get for what we paid four years ago.

We also have a 42" in our bedroom. When looking for a tv for our bedroom we were stunned at how expensive and the lack of quality for a smaller sized (32") tv in LCD and LED. We ended up with a 42" Panasonic plasma because it was so much more tv for less money than a 32" LED and a much better quality picture than an LCD.

I will probably never buy anything other than Panasonic tvs. We still have a 30" tube TV from Panasonic in the basement and it's picture is as good as our plasmas.

The Franchise 02-07-2013 02:31 PM

I've got a 55" Plasma as my main TV and then a 32" LED that I game on.

memyselfI 02-07-2013 02:34 PM

Check here for amazing deals:

www.slickdeals.net

Frosty 02-07-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9385261)
Glare wouldn't be any worse on a plasma than it would a tube TV, correct?

I think it's slightly worse.

I saw blur on even the 120 HZ lcds so went with a Samsung plasma. I really like it. The only issue is I need to get some blackout drapes for the late afternoon when the sun hits our front window. There's about an hour there where it is impossible to watch TV.

memyselfI 02-07-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9385311)
I think it's slightly worse.

I saw blur on even the 120 HZ lcds so went with a Samsung plasma. I really like it. The only issue is I need to get some blackout drapes for the late afternoon when the sun hits our front window. There's about an hour there where it is impossible to watch TV.

We have our tv in the living room where we have a huge picture window with two side windows attached. It takes up literally over half of the wall. There is some glare at times during the day. Nothing too terrible and nothing closing the drapes won't fix.

YMMV. If you have a great deal of sun for many hours of the day then you probably need to consider where the TV will be placed.

Frosty 02-07-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memyselfI (Post 9385325)
We have our tv in the living room where we have a huge picture window with two side windows attached. It takes up literally over half of the wall. There is some glare at times during the day. Nothing too terrible and nothing closing the drapes won't fix.

YMMV. If you have a great deal of sun for many hours of the day then you probably need to consider where the TV will be placed.

We only have an issue if the sun is directly on the window. Otherwise, it's fine.

petegz28 02-07-2013 02:45 PM

Fortunately my living room windows face north as does the tv so only light from sun would be ambient

petegz28 02-07-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memyselfI (Post 9385295)
Go with the Panasonic plasma. You will get infinitely more for your money. We have a 4 year old 55" that has a simply amazing picture. We had people over for the Superbowl who apparently have the same size in a Samsung and they were blown away by the picture on our tv. It's crazy how much tv you can get for what we paid four years ago.

We also have a 42" in our bedroom. When looking for a tv for our bedroom we were stunned at how expensive and the lack of quality for a smaller sized (32") tv in LCD and LED. We ended up with a 42" Panasonic plasma because it was so much more tv for less money than a 32" LED and a much better quality picture than an LCD.

I will probably never buy anything other than Panasonic tvs. We still have a 30" tube TV from Panasonic in the basement and it's picture is as good as our plasmas.

Costco has them for $750 and with my exec mbership I get a 3rd year of warranty for free