ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   OK, what happen to KSU ? Other B 12 BB questions . (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=158321)

Saulbadguy 02-14-2007 04:11 PM

Huggins is doing great for his first season with the talent leftover from the Wooldridge era.

Bearcat 02-14-2007 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe
I know it pisses alot of KU fans when I interject with "unbiased" opinions, but sometimes it seems so clear when you're on the outside looking in.

Personally, if I were a KSU basketball fan, I'd be pretty excited about the future of the program, even if they've had a few bumps here and there this season.

Definitely, and maybe I should have expanded "(yet)".... I'm glad we have Huggins and Anderson in the Big 12 North.. and with A&M making strides, the conference now looks decent.

I was just responding to the idea that last night's loss was a shock. It's not, because they have some growing up to do.... it's probably a lot of the same growing pains KU has gone through the last couple of years.

htismaqe 02-14-2007 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat
Definitely, and maybe I should have expanded "(yet)".... I'm glad we have Huggins and Anderson in the Big 12 North.. and with A&M making strides, the conference now looks decent.

I was just responding to the idea that last night's loss was a shock. It's not, because they have some growing up to do.... it's probably a lot of the same growing pains KU has gone through the last couple of years.

I think McDermott at ISU is a good coach, he doesn't have much to work with this year as far as talent. Time will tell if he can recruit at a high level year after year...

HonestChieffan 02-14-2007 04:59 PM

KSU will grow as a power under Huggins. Regardless of what some will throw out over his less than stellar actions in the past, he can coach and he can recruit. Anyone in the north that is not watching over their shoulder at KSU is making a mistake.

I do not think Anderson is even close to Huggins' abilities and MU will have some major recruiting issues for a few years till Anderson shows he can do it. He is an upgrade from Snyder but still not gonna run with the big dogs for a while.

KevB 02-14-2007 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat

Nobody should be shocked about the outcome. The shock comes from watching how the game unfolded. A very, very strange game. Maric shoots 25 free throws, KSU throws up 8 airballs, guy like Hoskins doesn't do much after being Mr. Consistent....

I couldn't be happier about KSU basketball right now. When Walker went down, everybody assumed that was all she wrote. Hugs has done a tremendous job. I'm concerned that in order to get to this point, he's had to push the team so hard they're struggling to finish off the season. As he's said all season, their margin for error is small. Games like last night are going to happen if the talent is close to equal.

WilliamTheIrish 02-14-2007 08:23 PM

Quote:

Do you think maybe some of these guys are just tired? Huggins' style is pretty intense, he expects alot, especially on defense.

I was thinking about this last night. While I don't have the exact figures in front of me, Huggs has been very good at limiting minutes.

IMO it's more a question of talent in the program, rather than a question of fatigue.

Saulbadguy 02-14-2007 08:28 PM

They've looked tired after the last 3 games.

That reminds me of what Huggins said after the Texas Tech loss. He said everyone in the program wants to go league. Then he said that the players complain of fatigue. He said how NBA players play 3 or 4 games a week, with travel time, no days off, etc. Said we don't have any athletes.

I gotta agree with him, we haven't had the best athlete on the court in any of our league games except maybe 5 minutes of the A&M game before Walker went down. Huggins has constantly said our margin for error is slim because we can't make up for our mistakes with athleticism.

Next year should be fun to watch. Walker, Beasley, Hoskins, Blake Young, Bennett/Colon. That'll be a hell of a line up.

leviw 02-14-2007 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish
I was thinking about this last night. While I don't have the exact figures in front of me, Huggs has been very good at limiting minutes.

IMO it's more a question of talent in the program, rather than a question of fatigue.

Some guys still aren't in shape and enjoy smoking cigarettes in their red Blazer while illegally parked in front of campus buildings at 9:15 a.m. too much to ever get into shape.

Saulbadguy 02-14-2007 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leviw
Some guys still aren't in shape and enjoy smoking cigarettes in their red Blazer while illegally parked in front of campus buildings at 9:15 a.m. too much to ever get into shape.

Hey now, the "Blazer" comment was out of line. Not every athletic department can afford Denali's.

leviw 02-14-2007 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy
Hey now, the "Blazer" comment was out of line. Not every athletic department can afford Denali's.

Sorry. Should have said "red Blazer with Florida plates".

But speaking of, have you seen what most of the KSU baseball players drive? Wow.

Saulbadguy 02-14-2007 08:42 PM

Quote:

Sorry. Should have said "red Blazer with Florida plates".

But speaking of, have you seen what most of the KSU baseball players drive? Wow.

Pretty bad, considering what the guys drive 80 miles to the east. :) We can't keep up.

leviw 02-14-2007 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy
Pretty bad, considering what the guys drive 80 miles to the east. :) We can't keep up.

Actually, it's pretty impressive. A bunch of brand new trucks.

Maybe JB could pitch in the spring and get a vehicle up grade.

ROYC75 02-14-2007 11:40 PM

Quote:

Actually, it's pretty impressive. A bunch of brand new trucks.

Maybe JB could pitch in the spring and get a vehicle up grade.

You mean that some of Huggys boosters are getting the players attention ? :)

I have said this several times now, Improvement this year, even better next year but Hugggy & KSU in year # 3 will be somebody in the Top 10 of college BB if the NCAA hasn't made any visits by then.

htismaqe 02-15-2007 09:40 AM

Well, Wichita State now shares the distinction with UNI of being one of only 5 teams to lose to DRAKE in conference play. :(

Saulbadguy 02-15-2007 09:42 AM

Quote:

Well, Wichita State now shares the distinction with UNI of being one of only 5 teams to lose to DRAKE in conference play. :(

WSU really tanked, and now it seems their wins vs LSU and Syracuse aren't as impressive, because those 2 teams are at very best, bubble teams, and likely headed to the NIT.