ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto spark plugs, threads stripped (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=279614)

Saulbadguy 12-16-2013 02:56 PM

spark plugs, threads stripped

WHAT DO I DO

The coil broke where the coil attaches to the bolt and the spark plug flew out. The old plug you can see where the threads were messed up, and I can't put the old plug or a new plug in, it just turns and comes out. I tried putting the plug in to a different hole and it worked fine.

LiveSteam 12-16-2013 03:00 PM

You might try & find the proper tap,& run it through & clean up the threads. or a new head, I dnt see a helicoil working in this application

Edit/ I stand corrected. helicoil

cosmo20002 12-16-2013 03:02 PM

It's time to give up and buy a new car.

stumppy 12-16-2013 03:04 PM

The parts store has kits to repair it. You may or may not have to drill it out. Depends on how bad it is. Then run the tap down in it to create new threasds. DO NOT BREAK THE TAP OFF IN IT!!! Then screw tje healicoil into the head. Now you have a completly new set of threads. Install new spark plug.

Radar Chief 12-16-2013 03:04 PM

Helicoil makes kits specifically for fixing spark plug hole threads.
Procedure is similar to this.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mHCv0xmeLHg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

stumppy 12-16-2013 03:05 PM

The kits are prob. Less than $20.

Gonzo 12-16-2013 03:05 PM

Aluminum heads, I take it?

You're going to have to run a Tap through that bitch.

It's not all that uncommon. HOWEVER, if you do this, place something in the hole to catch the metal shavings. Better yet, since you cant properly replace a fricken spark plug without ****ing it up, tow that bitch in and have a real mech do it.
;)

ptlyon 12-16-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 10284357)
The parts store has kits to repair it. You may or may not have to drill it out. Depends on how bad it is. Then run the tap down in it to create new threasds. DO NOT BREAK THE TAP OFF IN IT!!! Then screw tje healicoil into the head. Now you have a completly new set of threads. Install new spark plug.

You forgot the last crucial part, pray.

Tonka83 12-16-2013 03:07 PM

This is not uncommon to have happen. They do make heli-coil kits for just such a situation. The biggest problem is doing the repair without pulling the head because the possibility of getting shavings, etc down in the cylinder.
There are tricks to prevent this though. There are quite a few informative how to videos on youtube that can help.

Good luck.

** Wizard at above poster **

BlackHelicopters 12-16-2013 03:30 PM

Fetzer valve.

Gonzo 12-16-2013 03:33 PM

Muffler Bearings, blinker fluid, blah blah...

It's not that tough to run the tap, brother. However, do ask the pros how to keep the metal shavings out of there.

chiefforlife 12-16-2013 03:37 PM

If this is a Ford Triton motor, there is a very specific kit required. It should be performed by a trained technician.
We do them all the time, even for the Ford dealer.