ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Interesting factoid on O vs. D and SB wins (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=131182)

FringeNC 12-13-2005 03:33 PM

Interesting factoid on O vs. D and SB wins

Over 1970-2000, only 10 of 31 Super Bowl winners had higher ranked defenses than offenses.

jspchief 12-13-2005 03:36 PM

How many of them had defenses in the bottom 5 of the league?

FringeNC 12-13-2005 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief
How many of them had defenses in the bottom 5 of the league?

My guess is zero.

Amnorix 12-13-2005 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FringeNC
Over 1970-2000, only 10 of 31 Super Bowl winners had higher ranked defenses than offenses.

No doubt using the completely worthless "yards per game" metric.

How 'bout points per game? Much more meaningful.

FringeNC 12-13-2005 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix

I think it is points not yards, not sure though.

CoMoChief 12-13-2005 04:00 PM

Quote:

Amen. I can't stand it when people talk about how many yards you allowed passing when you were up the whole game. If we won every game 45-17, but allowed 350 passing per game simply because they were trying to come back from such a large defecit, it would be meaningless to say that we would have the worst pass defense in the NFL, even though it would seem like that on paper because stats are simply numbers, not situations. Unless your like the Kansas City Royals Video Board Manager and wanna give some stupid stat like:

"Matt Stairs is batting .321 with 2 HR's with runners on 2nd with 1 out, when the Royals are up by 5 (which is never) on Thursdays night away games."

PPG is the stat that matters the most. Well, W/L matters most, but you could however look at allowed rushing yards per game because teams usually dont try and run the ball to catch up.

tk13 12-13-2005 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSPimpDude
Unless your like the Kansas City Royals Video Board Manager and wanna give some stupid stat like:

"Matt Stairs is batting .321 with 2 HR's with runners on 2nd with 1 out, when the Royals are up by 5 (which is never) on Thursdays night away games."

ROFL ROFL Hey man, those numbers always give me hope!

Amnorix 12-13-2005 04:11 PM

Quote:

I think it is points not yards, not sure though.

The rule of thumb for ranking offense and defense is yards per game. If they don't qualify it, that's what they're doing.

Stupid, idiotic, moronic and reeruned, but that's the way it is.

FringeNC 12-13-2005 04:18 PM

Quote:

The rule of thumb for ranking offense and defense is yards per game. If they don't qualify it, that's what they're doing.

Stupid, idiotic, moronic and reeruned, but that's the way it is.

No. This wasn't from a popular magazine, but from an academic article, so who knows how they did it. Probably something complicated. I'll try to find it.

Hoover 12-13-2005 05:01 PM

While ouD has sucked it up the last two weeks, I think we are more of a middle of the road NFL deffense.

I have never put much on stats when it comes to ranking a Defense or Offense.

Hammock Parties 12-13-2005 05:04 PM

Quote:

My guess is zero.

You'd be wrong.

I had a post about this several months ago. There were like 10 Super Bowl qualifying teams that had defenses ranked in the 20s. Or maybe it was just pass defenses. Probably. :banghead:

Calcountry 12-13-2005 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSPimpDude
Amen. I can't stand it when people talk about how many yards you allowed passing when you were up the whole game. If we won every game 45-17, but allowed 350 passing per game simply because they were trying to come back from such a large defecit, it would be meaningless to say that we would have the worst pass defense in the NFL, even though it would seem like that on paper because stats are simply numbers, not situations. Unless your like the Kansas City Royals Video Board Manager and wanna give some stupid stat like:

PPG is the stat that matters the most. Well, W/L matters most, but you could however look at allowed rushing yards per game because teams usually dont try and run the ball to catch up.

In baseball, the main # to look at is OPS. On base + Slugging.

That is the best way to measure a players total worth.