ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV The Dark Knight Rises *Spoilers* Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=261597)

Micjones 07-24-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 8764205)
I can't state how much I hate going to the movie theater with a packed house full of teenagers. I waited until Monday for a 10:20 showing at the IMAX to hopefully avoid a sold out crowd of stupid ass teenagers. It didn't work. One twat right next to me basically spoiled half the movie for me before it even started. I really appreciated that. ****ing asshole. Then some fat teenager showed up late, sat behind me, and immediately started kicking the shit out of the back of my seat. Why do people do that inadvertently? Do people just not respect other people that much?

Then people wouldn't shut up during the movie. Hootin and hollerin. Shut the **** up you know? I'm tryin to watch a movie. And who goes to a movie with 9 other people? It's a movie not a god damn social gathering or a party. I almost got a rain check when I saw the caliber of people that flocked into the theater. The amount of perfume and cologne was burning my eyes and nose.

Oh well, I'm somewhat of a sociopath anyway. Pure bliss to me would be having a theater empty besides just myself. Ok maybe a few other people are ok, as long as they aren't sitting near me. It's why I almost always wait for blu-ray to watch movies. It ruins the experience of watching a movie when I'm so uncomfortable. Plus the seats are atrocious. It was hard to enjoy the last hour of the movie because my ass and lower back was in such agonizing pain. Get better seats for christs sake. I was hoping Bane would have a 3rd down with Batman on defense so everyone would stand up. But with this movie, I just couldn't wait for dvd/blu-ray

That's the most colossal complaint I've ever read on this forum.
Being out in public is probably not a good idea for you.

lcarus 07-24-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 8764297)
That's the most colossal complaint I've ever read on this forum.
Being out in public is probably not a good idea for you.

It's not much different than any other movie theater "rant" I suppose. It was all the worst things about going to the movies, fully realized. Loud obnoxious kids, someone kicking the back of your seat randomly, the smell of a hundred teenagers perfumes and colognes, a long movie with an uncomfortable seat. Phones ringing. Someone spoiling the movie plot twists before the movie even starts. The works. I mean, who the hell would enjoy that? I enjoy watching a movie at home soooo much more. But with Batman, I just can't wait. It was a good movie at least.

Silock 07-24-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8763731)
I think you are despicable for saying something so dumb.

Despicable? Do you even know the meaning of that word? It sure doesn't make a whole lot of sense when used in that context. ROFL

In any case, Robin is not the Dark Knight. Sure, lots of people stepped up in the movie, and that's the whole point of Nolan's Batman, but none of them are TDK. Selina stepped up. Blake stepped up. The commissioner, police, mayor, etc. Nolan wasn't intending Blake to be considered the Dark Knight Rising. That's what I thought Bowener was getting at, and I think that's a little too literal an interpretation. If that makes me despicable, then . . . Well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

There is, however, no doubt that "rising" is the theme of the film -- it just comes in many different forms.

Silock 07-24-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 8764388)
It's not much different than any other movie theater "rant" I suppose. It was all the worst things about going to the movies, fully realized. Loud obnoxious kids, someone kicking the back of your seat randomly, the smell of a hundred teenagers perfumes and colognes, a long movie with an uncomfortable seat. Phones ringing. Someone spoiling the movie plot twists before the movie even starts. The works. I mean, who the hell would enjoy that? I enjoy watching a movie at home soooo much more. But with Batman, I just can't wait. It was a good movie at least.

Sounds like you need to go to the 21 and up theater, which is Cinemasuites.

007 07-24-2012 02:58 PM

Did not care for allowing Batman to survive at the end. I liked the idea of his death. Seeing him alive and understanding how he survived kind of disappointed me.

lcarus 07-24-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8764413)
Sounds like you need to go to the 21 and up theater, which is Cinemasuites.

I'm totally ok with just waiting for movies to come out on video, minus a few here and there, such as this one. I seem to have bad movie theater experiences.

vailpass 07-24-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8764399)
Despicable? Do you even know the meaning of that word? It sure doesn't make a whole lot of sense when used in that context. ROFL

In any case, Robin is not the Dark Knight. Sure, lots of people stepped up in the movie, and that's the whole point of Nolan's Batman, but none of them are TDK. Selina stepped up. Blake stepped up. The commissioner, police, mayor, etc. Nolan wasn't intending Blake to be considered the Dark Knight Rising. That's what I thought Bowener was getting at, and I think that's a little too literal an interpretation. If that makes me despicable, then . . . Well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

There is, however, no doubt that "rising" is the theme of the film -- it just comes in many different forms.

Sheldon? Or Leonard?

CoMoChief 07-24-2012 03:03 PM

I'm seeing this tomorrow. again

Hammock Parties 07-24-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8764431)
Did not care for allowing Batman to survive at the end. I liked the idea of his death. Seeing him alive and understanding how he survived kind of disappointed me.

It was actually kind of genius the way they did it.

They got the emotional impact of him dying, and most people bought it I think. Especially with the statue and Alfred at the grave.

Then they have the twist at the end and you get the joy of realizing he's alive.

That was my reaction anyway. Nolan gave me multiple orgasms and it was good.

JD10367 07-24-2012 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 8764433)
I'm totally ok with just waiting for movies to come out on video, minus a few here and there, such as this one. I seem to have bad movie theater experiences.

That's one thing I like about working in a theater. I can come in early or stay late and run a film for myself. Especially now that it's all digital. Nothing to break. Press "Play" and go watch.

KcMizzou 07-24-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 8764890)
That's one thing I like about working in a theater. I can come in early or stay late and run a film for myself. Especially now that it's all digital. Nothing to break. Press "Play" and go watch.

That's a pretty sweet perk.

Sure-Oz 07-24-2012 06:55 PM

I liked how the movie ended, i think the only thing that would be like OH SHIT would be if they never showed bruce at the end and jut alfred looking up with a smile and cutting. LOVED this movie, all time favorite trilogy

L.A. Chieffan 07-24-2012 09:10 PM

The biggest movie "roar" I've ever heard was the night South Park the movie came out. When the boys go to see the Terrance and Philip movie for the first time.... I've never heard so many people laughing their asses off at the same time

Reaper16 07-24-2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8764399)

I was being hyperbolic. I do that a lot.

The theme of the film is "rising." It manifests itself in a lot of different ways, including Robin John Blake assuming the mantle of Batman. The last shot was representative of the theme, it wasn't THE interpretation of the film's title.

BTW -- why are y'all talking about Robin John Blake's masked crimefighter identity being Robin or Nightwing. Did you watch the same movie I did? He's going to be Batman. Not anyone else. Batman.

Sure-Oz 07-24-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8765373)

The theme of the film is "rising." It manifests itself in a lot of different ways, including Robin John Blake assuming the mantle of Batman. The last shot was representative of the theme, it wasn't THE interpretation of the film's title.

BTW -- why are y'all talking about Robin John Blake's masked crimefighter identity being Robin or Nightwing. Did you watch the same movie I did? He's going to be Batman. Not anyone else. Batman.

I saw it as him taking over as Batman as well.

tk13 07-24-2012 09:22 PM

I initially interpreted it as him becoming Batman as well... but I'm open to other arguments.

007 07-24-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 8764909)
I liked how the movie ended, i think the only thing that would be like OH SHIT would be if they never showed bruce at the end and jut alfred looking up with a smile and cutting. LOVED this movie, all time favorite trilogy

I think I would have liked that a lot better.

Sure-Oz 07-24-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8765432)
I think I would have liked that a lot better.

Agreed...was kinda surprised that they showed him. Everyone thinks he's dead. I've had people say they prefer Bruce died, but i just didn't want that to be the case but rather have hope he survived.

Chiefs Pantalones 07-24-2012 09:49 PM

This trilogy is the best I've seen in a long time. I can't think of a better trilogy.

007 07-24-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 8765440)
Agreed...was kinda surprised that they showed him. Everyone thinks he's dead. I've had people say they prefer Bruce died, but i just didn't want that to be the case but rather have hope he survived.

Evidently, Nolan was afraid fans would lynch him if he pulled another Inception ending. LMAO

mr. tegu 07-24-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8765478)
Evidently, Nolan was afraid fans would lynch him if he pulled another Inception ending. LMAO

That ending still makes me mad.

tk13 07-24-2012 10:36 PM

The Inception ending might be my favorite experience ever in a movie theater. You could feel the air getting sucked out of the room while the top was spinning, and an entire theater groaned as it cut to black. This movie though, I'm glad he resolved things. This was a three movie arc, and it brought closure to it. It was just a different type of story. The Sopranos thing worked because they were always having to look over their shoulder.

Silock 07-24-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Then why even bring up the name "Robin?" As much as Nolan likes to play with lore, I just don't see him bringing up some guy who is named Robin, but is actually going to be Batman.

There's only one Batman. Bruce Wayne. Why? It's like he says in Batman Begins.

Alfred: Why bats, sir?

BW: Bats frighten me. It's time my enemies share my dread.

I totally buy that Blake was going to be a crimefighter, Batman I just don't see. He's going to pick his own name and theme. He's too independent a character not to.

007 07-24-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8765675)
Then why even bring up the name "Robin?" As much as Nolan likes to play with lore, I just don't see him bringing up some guy who is named Robin, but is actually going to be Batman.

There's only one Batman. Bruce Wayne. Why? It's like he says in Batman Begins.

Alfred: Why bats, sir?

BW: Bats frighten me. It's time my enemies share my dread.

I totally buy that Blake was going to be a crimefighter, Batman I just don't see. He's going to pick his own name and theme. He's too independent a character not to.

So where does he get his Robin suit from then? With what money? The only thing available to him is a Batman suit and whatever else is in that cave. I guess if he really wants to stand behind his "no mask" stand even after Batman explained the purpose of the mask he could go without it but I don't see that.

Sure-Oz 07-24-2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8765478)

LMAO good point

Sure-Oz 07-24-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8765719)
So where does he get his Robin suit from then? With what money? The only thing available to him is a Batman suit and whatever else is in that cave. I guess if he really wants to stand behind his "no mask" stand even after Batman explained the purpose of the mask he could go without it but I don't see that.

Exactly...

Everything 'BAT' wise is available to him...this is Nolans batman, not the comics.

Either way cool.

Tribal Warfare 07-24-2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 8765736)
Exactly...

Everything 'BAT' wise is available to him...this is Nolans batman, not the comics.

Either way cool.

the thing that bugged me about that is where the **** will he get training equal to Bruce had with The League of Shadows. The Gotham YMCA doesn't teach Ninja skills.

Sure-Oz 07-24-2012 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 8765806)
the thing that bugged me about that is where the **** will he get training equal to Bruce had with The League of Shadows. The Gotham YMCA doesn't teach Ninja skills.

Bruce likely left a 'Tom Emanski' type video for him to teach him the skills. Obviously.

That said, still a cool ending, I assume this won't continue. I always wondered what JGL role would be in the end.

Silock 07-24-2012 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8765719)

Well, he wouldn't really need much to modify the Bat suit to be a Robin suit, would he? Paint it a different color and don't wear the helmet. Done.

Also, we don't know that John Blake is poor, nor do we know that there wasn't contingency money left by Wayne for Blake in the Batcave or via some other means, like Alfred or Fox.

I mean, all of this is totally out of the scope of the movie, but it doesn't take huge leaps of logic to see why he wouldn't be Batman.

Silock 07-24-2012 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 8765736)
Exactly...

Either way cool.

Yes, it's Nolan's Batman. Where the guy, who isn't Batman, but is named Robin, is going to be Batman . . . because Bruce Wayne left him some toys? I don't think so.

007 07-25-2012 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8765876)
Well, he wouldn't really need much to modify the Bat suit to be a Robin suit, would he? Paint it a different color and don't wear the helmet. Done.

Also, we don't know that John Blake is poor, nor do we know that there wasn't contingency money left by Wayne for Blake in the Batcave or via some other means, like Alfred or Fox.

I mean, all of this is totally out of the scope of the movie, but it doesn't take huge leaps of logic to see why he wouldn't be Batman.

That is more or less what I said.

Look, I am not saying he isn't going to be Robin. Just that the movie leaves us with him being completely on his own with only what is available in the cave.

None of it really matters though. Nolan is done with the franchise.

Anyong Bluth 07-25-2012 12:48 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what real scenes does Alfred share with Selina & Bruce? Maybe I'm blanking on an obvious but I don't recall him seeing the two together to pick up on the attraction vibe except they discuss her a bit after she boosted the pearls?

Makes me believe he's actually alive when coupled with Fox finding out autopilot was fixed - even though he's in the plane right as it explodes. Are we to assume that he released the bomb & then flew far enough to get out of the blast radius that should gave been fairly large.

I think I prefer if it was just Alfred's imagination, but unlikely. Ya, there are plenty of weak plot points, The one that I literally blurted out bullshit was after the truck drops to the sublevel / lower street and Gordon just pops out totally fine like a human wouldn't get seriously injured free falling in a giant metal box with other giant metal objects rattling around.

I can live with it and enjoyed it still. AH did an amazing job in her role, I was pleasantly surprised with JGL performance - I think he's a great actor but didn't know if his acting chops could play it the way he did & it actually come off as believable as opposed to simply getting the role by de facto as 1 of Nolan's anointed group of preferred actors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 8760404)
This whole movie left a bad taste in my mouth. Its clearly not aimed toward people who know the characters very well unless we're addressing the stupid twist that exploited people's knowledge of the books in order to get the twist over. Nice douche....nice.

To trash the origin of Bane so thoroughly, and for the sake of a ridiculous twist to reveal Talia Al Ghul in an equally horrific trashing of book version is just ridiculous to me. You take Bane, arguably the most vicious and cerebral enemy Batman has ever known and try to turn him into a sympathetic character at the end? Just your regular run of the mill pit prisoner who got a frosty smooth beatdown for protecting a child? Lame.

Why the hell does hothead cop know who Batman is? Its never explained, its just dropped in our lap. You. Youre Batman. Why did you wear the mask? So dumb. Then later to actually make his birth name "Robin" was just too much.

Talia's turn and entire role in the plot was asinine. She's in love with Bruce in the books, saved his life on more than one occaision and even had his kid. So why she was chosen to lead the "Nuke Gotham City" plan, I have no idea. Her character being in this film made about as much as Gwen Stacy in Spider-Man 3. Something about the third movie in a trilogy that brings out the WTF moments I guess.

The Bane fights were way too Rocky 3 for me. First fight is a no contest beatdown, we get a nod to the breaking, but not the actual breaking of the Bat. Then you dangle from a rope for a few months and boom. Spine realigned, a few crunches, pushups, and chinups later, we're ready to go back and for some reason now youre able to just take Bane to the cleaners. Oh, and how Bane didnt become pink mist when shot by the Batpod when we saw it take down an entire wall of crushed cars is quite beyond my comprehension.

The ending bugs me as well. Its like Nolan either didnt know what he wanted to do with it, or he wanted to just leave it open for interpretation, or try to please both the unhappy ending seekers as well as happy ending seekers, you just cant try to apply any logic to it or it all falls apart.

We assume that Batman is killed flying the bomb out over the bay. He says there's no auto pilot. We see Batman give that long stare into the camera and then boom. Okay, Bats is toast but he saved Gotham. Kind of a bummer, but we'll roll with it. Funeral, Alfred sobbing, Wayne's will being executed, the works. If it just stopped here, with "Robin" finding the cave it wouldve been fine.

But wait!

A dejected Fox talks to the techs to see what he couldve done to help with the Auto Pilot. Tech says that it was patched six months earlier by Bruce Wayne. Cut to Alfred in Florence and he sees Bruce and Selina.

So, is Alfred imagining Bruce and Selina? It is much better for Nolan's sake if he is. It insults our intelligence far less. But the majority say no no, Bruce fixed the auto pilot, he got out. And he didnt say anything to Alfred because it was just like in Alfred's fantasy where they would say nothing to each other but they would both know that he'd made it.

Well, then this brings to mind a quote from one of my favorite books, Misery, by Stephen King.

quote Annie Wilkes

They also called them serials. I'm not stupid ya know... Anyway, my favourite was Rocketman, and once it was a no brakes chapter. The bad guy stuck him in a car on a mountain road and knocked him out and welded the door shut and tore out the brakes and started him to his death, and he woke up and tried to steer and tried to get out but the car went off a cliff before he could escape! And it crashed and burned and I was so upset and excited, and the next week, you better believe I was first in line. And they always start with the end of the last week. And there was Rocketman, trying to get out, and here comes the cliff, and just before the car went off the cliff, he jumped free! And all the kids cheered! But I didn't cheer. I stood right up and started shouting. This isn't what happened last week! Have you all got amnesia? They just cheated us! This isn't fair! HE DID'NT GET OUT OF THE *bleep* - A - DOODIE CAR!

So what if Bruce fixed the auto pilot? He never got out. We watch the Bat fly right out over the ice (if you fall in, youre dead in minutes) and explode. And even if we, the viewers didnt see it, are we meant to believe that if Bruce got out of that thing before it blew, that NOBODY watching it fly out there saw anything? Weak.

You also mean to tell me that after that little bitch Selina Kyle trapped Bruce with Bane for him to get utterly destroyed that the actual Batman of comic lore would give two shits about her from then on is completely ridiculous. Theres no way he would take that shit, let alone run off to Florence with her. Its insulting.

The entire idea that Bruce just up and says "Peace, Im out" at all is just ludicrous. Its the main reason the death, while more of a downer is far more believable.

Ive got so many issues with this film I cant even list them all for fear of carpel tunnel. Pretty disappointed with it in general.

TDK>Begins>Rises

JD10367 07-25-2012 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 8765946)
Makes me believe he's actually alive when coupled with Fox finding out autopilot was fixed - even though he's in the plane right as it explodes. Are we to assume that he released the bomb & then flew far enough to get out of the blast radius that should gave been fairly large.

I think I prefer if it was just Alfred's imagination, but unlikely. Ya, there are plenty of weak plot points, The one that I literally blurted out bullshit was after the truck drops to the sublevel / lower street and Gordon just pops out totally fine like a human wouldn't get seriously injured free falling in a giant metal box with other giant metal objects rattling around.

Guys. Batman lived. It's not an ambiguous ending. Bruce Wayne fixed the autopilot six weeks ago. Someone has the missing pearls. Someone fixed the Batsignal. He's alive. How in the hell did he escape a nuclear blast while flying at 100+MPH and dragging a bomb over the ocean? Who the **** knows. He's Batman, that's how. He has cool planes and bikes and cars and computers and little keyfobs that can deactivate paparazzi cameras and whatnot. He's escaped from a myriad of situations throughout his comic and movie career (not the least of which was, in this film, recovering from a nearly broken back). Do we really need a concrete reasonable explanation as to how he did it?

As for the Gordon/truck thing, I guess the rationale there is that the bomb was pretty heavy and probably didn't move around much (although I'd have to go back and re-examine the other film footage, as the bomb didn't seem that heavy earlier). And they do "wound" Gordon by showing him grabbing his arm as he asks Catwoman to help him get the bomb out of the truck (I assume their attempts to deflect the valid "how could he be fine?!?" complaint). And, when you think about the physics, the cab of the truck is what smashed into the pavement and absorbed the shock of the fall; the back end just sort of tilts and then falls straight down using only the kinetic force of gravity (whereas the cab smashed with the kinetic force of the speeding truck).

Micjones 07-25-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 8766176)
Guys. Batman lived. It's not an ambiguous ending. Bruce Wayne fixed the autopilot six weeks ago. Someone has the missing pearls. Someone fixed the Batsignal. He's alive. How in the hell did he escape a nuclear blast while flying at 100+MPH and dragging a bomb over the ocean? Who the **** knows. He's Batman, that's how. He has cool planes and bikes and cars and computers and little keyfobs that can deactivate paparazzi cameras and whatnot. He's escaped from a myriad of situations throughout his comic and movie career (not the least of which was, in this film, recovering from a nearly broken back). Do we really need a concrete reasonable explanation as to how he did it?

Not having a reasonable explanation for something that happened in a film is like having a tag sticking up in a t-shirt. It's irritating. I'm analytical so it's probably gonna bug the shit out of me until I get it figured out. "He escaped cause he's Batman" isn't satisfying to me. I haven't thought much about it since seeing TDKR though. I'm just speaking in general terms.

Mr. Plow 07-25-2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 8766230)
Not having a reasonable explanation for something that happened in a film is like having a tag sticking up in a t-shirt. It's irritating. I'm analytical so it's probably gonna bug the shit out of me until I get it figured out. "He escaped cause he's Batman" isn't satisfying to me. I haven't thought much about it since seeing TDKR though. I'm just speaking in general terms.

The Soprano's ending must still bug the shit out of you. :)

Red Brooklyn 07-25-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8765877)
Yes, it's Nolan's Batman. Where the guy, who isn't Batman, but is named Robin, is going to be Batman . . . because Bruce Wayne left him some toys? I don't think so.

I imagine he'll be taking over Batman as well. It's possible he'll be a different hero. But I don't imagine it'll be Robin.

Mainly because... you know... his name is Robin. Pretty stupid superhero to name his superhero identity after his super top secret identity.

Micjones 07-25-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 8766253)
The Soprano's ending must still bug the shit out of you. :)

I never watched that show.

Mr. Plow 07-25-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 8766331)
I never watched that show.

Ahhhh, gotcha. I wouldn't suggest it then.

lcarus 07-25-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 8766230)

The ending to this movie is nothing new to me, since I recently watched the House series finale and the Sherlock season 2 finale. The last episode of Sherlock still bugs me but at least that will likely get resolved in the next season. Which won't air for a long time yet.

mr. tegu 07-25-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 8766316)
I imagine he'll be taking over Batman as well. It's possible he'll be a different hero. But I don't imagine it'll be Robin.

Mainly because... you know... his name is Robin. Pretty stupid superhero to name his superhero identity after his super top secret identity.

What's wrong with that for a secret identity? /Clark Kent

DMAC 07-25-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 8765806)

He won't. He's a ****in sidekick.

Reaper16 07-25-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 8766400)
The ending to this movie is nothing new to me, since I recently watched the House series finale and the Sherlock season 2 finale. The last episode of Sherlock still bugs me but at least that will likely get resolved in the next season. Which won't air for a long time yet.

At least Sherlock gave us A TON of on-screen clues as to how he pulled it off.

lcarus 07-25-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8766473)
At least Sherlock gave us A TON of on-screen clues as to how he pulled it off.

I've read a lot of theories and stuff online, but it's still pretty perplexing. To me anyways. I'm looking forward to the next season.

Micjones 07-25-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 8766400)

The House series finale didn't bug me as much.
We saw the roof collapse, but it could easily have just been a section of the roof collapsing in front of House. That's a lot less gray.

lcarus 07-25-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 8766580)
The House series finale didn't bug me as much.
We saw the roof collapse, but it could easily have just been a section of the roof collapsing in front of House. That's a lot less gray.

I wasn't really talking about the mystery so much as I am them just being the same ending. "Dying", graveyard scene, loved ones mourning, but then of course they're alive.

Buehler445 07-25-2012 12:22 PM

Man, you guys are way more nitpicky than I am. I went to the movie in order to be entertained. It was very much that. VERY much that. It got your mind and emotions working and topped it off with tremendous action.

That movie was EPIC. Are there things that aren't possible? Absolutely. That's why it is ****ing fiction. If it were all absolutely real, it would be absolutely boring. Or Nolan would be able to find a Wayne Enterprises, Fox, Catwoman, Alfred, and ****ING BATMAN to base them on reality.

Look, you guys are absolutely tearing this apart based on what you guys know. But you have to let it go. I can do that too, Fox kept talking about all the R&D shit being off the books, and the fact of the matter is that a publicly traded company CANNOT keep anything off the books. No matter what, no matter the materiality. They have to file all that with the 10Q and Annual report.

But I can let all that go. Just like you guys need to let the little details go and enjoy the movie. We could rip any movie, TV show, or any work of fiction ever.

lcarus 07-25-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 8766758)
Man, you guys are way more nitpicky than I am. I went to the movie in order to be entertained. It was very much that. VERY much that. It got your mind and emotions working and topped it off with tremendous action.

That movie was EPIC. Are there things that aren't possible? Absolutely. That's why it is ****ing fiction. If it were all absolutely real, it would be absolutely boring. Or Nolan would be able to find a Wayne Enterprises, Fox, Catwoman, Alfred, and ****ING BATMAN to base them on reality.

Look, you guys are absolutely tearing this apart based on what you guys know. But you have to let it go. I can do that too, Fox kept talking about all the R&D shit being off the books, and the fact of the matter is that a publicly traded company CANNOT keep anything off the books. No matter what, no matter the materiality. They have to file all that with the 10Q and Annual report.

But I can let all that go. Just like you guys need to let the little details go and enjoy the movie. We could rip any movie, TV show, or any work of fiction ever.

Yep. It was a great movie. It's a movie about a man that dresses up as a bat and fights crime. I'm already suspending my disbelief, so what's the difference.

Reaper16 07-25-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

We could rip any movie, TV show, or any work of fiction ever.

We can, yes. And we should.

listopencil 07-25-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Fox kept talking about all the R&D shit being off the books, and the fact of the matter is that a publicly traded company CANNOT keep anything off the books. No matter what, no matter the materiality. They have to file all that with the 10Q and Annual report.

It was secret government work for the Department of Defense. They were paid from a black ops fund, and R&D isn't expected to make money unless it pays off with a contract. If anything the federal money helped to offset the losses and might have been toyed with to create a net loss for the department just to make it look better.

Buehler445 07-25-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8766850)
We can, yes. And we should.

You should, maybe. Not me. It would kill every single bit of joy I ever got out of any movie if I spent the whole time finding holes in the plot.

But, to aid your case, here are some more inaccuracies that you could cite in your attack of the movie.
  • The blatant SEC reporting violations that I mentioned above.
  • 6 mile blast radius for a neutron bomb? LOL
  • Detonating the bomb above the water would leave huge radiation problems for the city.
  • No EPA oversight of tunnel building? LOL They want to control water in road ditches. They'd be all over a tunnel project.

Either way, none of that is so egregious that I can't get over it and love the **** out of the movie.

007 07-25-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMAC (Post 8766471)
He won't. He's a ****in sidekick.

http://images.wikia.com/disney/image...r_Close_Up.jpg

Reaper16 07-25-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 8766992)
You should, maybe. Not me. It would kill every single bit of joy I ever got out of any movie if I spent the whole time finding holes in the plot.

But, to aid your case, here are some more inaccuracies that you could cite in your attack of the movie.
  • Detonating the bomb above the water would leave huge radiation problems for the city.
  • No EPA oversight of tunnel building? LOL They want to control water in road ditches. They'd be all over a tunnel project.

Either way, none of that is so egregious that I can't get over it and love the **** out of the movie.

Well, you could watch movies that, you know, don't have a screenplay that looks like swiss cheese. The world of cinema is more than just big-hype Hollywood releases.

I feel like people are rewarding Nolan for a.) creating a dark, gritty, realistic atmosphere in this trilogy, and b.) casting his films well. The last two films in the trilogy, especially TDKR, fail to give audiences a story that they deserve. Nolan instead banks (correctly, given the film's reception and audience opinions like yours) on his atmosphere and themes being strong enough that people won't care if the film doesn't make sense.

Buehler445 07-25-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8767019)
Well, you could watch movies that, you know, don't have a screenplay that looks like swiss cheese. The world of cinema is more than just big-hype Hollywood releases.

I feel like people are rewarding Nolan for a.) creating a dark, gritty, realistic atmosphere in this trilogy, and b.) casting his films well. The last two films in the trilogy, especially TDKR, fail to give audiences a story that they deserve. Nolan instead banks (correctly, given the film's reception and audience opinions like yours) on his atmosphere and themes being strong enough that people won't care if the film doesn't make sense.

Perhaps. Maybe I'm a worthless know-nothing mouth breathing degenerate movie goer that is all that is wrong with modern cinema.

But, I hardly think this film doesn't make sense. I had no problem making sense of the plot. I also think that I could tear holes in virtually any film. Pure character studies would be tough, but anything relying on an exterior plot opens itself up to be holes.

patteeu 07-25-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Which movie are you talking about? The one where he removed the rope because he had overcome his fear of death or the one where it meant he'd regained it? :Poke:

Reaper16 07-25-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 8767213)
Which movie are you talking about? The one where he removed the rope because he had overcome his fear of death or the one where it meant he'd regained it? :Poke:

I still contend that, absent of Nolan's lazy parallels to Batman Begins that were the cause of the whole "regain a fear of death" thing that doesn't end up figuring into the film's climax at all like not even one bit, someone choosing to forgo the rope when attempting that climb can be read as an act of fearlessness.

mr. tegu 07-25-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Those projects were all off the books before the company went public IIRC. So they never existed is how I would see it.

Mr. Plow 07-25-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8767300)
I still contend that, absent of Nolan's lazy parallels to Batman Begins that were the cause of the whole "regain a fear of death" thing that doesn't end up figuring into the film's climax at all like not even one bit, someone choosing to forgo the rope when attempting that climb can be read as an act of fearlessness.

One of the prisoners...I believe the doctor....stated to Bruce essentially that because he was not afraid of death, that he had lost his drive - so in order to work harder, jump farther, fight longer he had to regain that fear of death....because a fear of death will make you fight longer, use all your strength and energy because you don't want to die.

mr. tegu 07-25-2012 04:34 PM

Has anyone else had a dream yet that they were Batman? I have and it was pretty sweet.

mr. tegu 07-25-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 8767346)
One of the prisoners...I believe the doctor....stated to Bruce essentially that because he was not afraid of death, that he had lost his drive - so in order to work harder, jump farther, fight longer he had to regain that fear of death....because a fear of death will make you fight longer, use all your strength and energy because you don't want to die.

Bane told him the same thing when they were fighting. Batman didn't fear death so he fought Bane with a carelessness that got himself beat to a pulp.

Mr. Plow 07-25-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 8767349)
Bane told him the same thing when they were fighting. Batman didn't fear death so he fought Bane with a carelessness that got himself beat to a pulp.

Yeah, I remember Bane said something about Batman fighting like a young man or something to that affect.

Reaper16 07-25-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 8767346)

And Bruce's martial arts training in Begins taught him to not fear death, because if you don't care if you die then you are free to, well, work harder, jump farther, fight longer, and use all your strength and energy because negative consequences aren't something to be afraid of.

Bruce clearly had to get his groove back, yes, but terming that re-energization as "regaining a fear of death" felt to me like an amateur screenwriting move from someone who was told that parallels are often marks of a good script but lacks the knowledge of why or how to pull them off.

Buehler445 07-25-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 8767342)
Those projects were all off the books before the company went public IIRC. So they never existed is how I would see it.

Doesn't work that way.

Reaper16 07-25-2012 04:45 PM

I mean, really, Bruce didn't get destroyed by Bane because he didn't fear death. He got destroyed by Bane out of hubris. Bruce thought he could just get back in the game after 8 years and health issues and he had no idea what he was getting himself into. Yeah, it's carelessness. But it isn't the logical result of his Keysi training or anything.

patteeu 07-25-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 8767375)
Doesn't work that way.

No one is suggesting that "off the books" is legal. I think you're hung up on what's allowable by law instead of what's possible.

Silock 07-25-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 8766992)

Small fusion bombs aren't dirty, FWIW.

mr. tegu 07-25-2012 05:16 PM

In completely unrelated news, this movie was AWESOME! :) many people were worried if it would live up to the hype or if it would be as good as the first two. IMO it lived up to the hype and arguments could be made for any of the three movies being the best of the bunch.

kaplin42 07-25-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 8756799)
I think one big thing to consider here is that Bruce wasn't learning how to conquer his fear of death. He'd already done that.

He was learning how important fear is. The issue is he needed the fear back. I think that plays pretty heavily into his escape. Perhaps not so heavily into defeating Bane, I'll grant you. But I don't think it was entirely pointless or inconsequential.

The movie, to me, seemed to be like Batman Begins in reverse. The whole second half was more about Bruce vs himself than Batman vs Bane. Not arguing that as a strength or a weakness, just making an observation.

I'm fine with Bane being muscle and less brains. And in the end Batman still wasn't going to be able to defeat Bane on his own. But, again, I'm not sure that's what it was about.

And the Breaking Bad crack was just that. It was a crack. Me making fun of myself more than anything. Your comment sounded similar to some of mine re: that show. And I don't think it's worlds apart, frankly. We've seen characters on BB acting completely out of character for the sake of plot, and sometimes, even plot "twists."

Before I read more of this thread, I have to clarify this whole thing.

In the prison, the old guy says that you have to have a fear of death, or you have nothing help you beyond the point of reason. to paraphrase, "how can you fight beyond what you can, how can persevere beyond what is possible without a fear of death, because without the fear of death, you have nothing to fight for"

The rope is nothing more than a safety net, no one ever makes the jump because if they don't make it they know they will still live. Take the rope away, and if you miss the jump, you die.

Batman lost to Bane in the first fight cause he didn't care if he won or lost, if he died it was no big deal to him. He won the fight the second time because he had something to fight for.

Also, it was mentioned in the prison that Bane's mask alleviates the pain of the injuries from when Bane got the shit kicked out of him helping Talia escape. If you watch the second fight between Batman and Bane, you will notice Batman going for the mask.

If this was made clear in the remainder of the thread, sorry, but I was reading this and wanted to help clarify it.

Mr. Plow 07-26-2012 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 8768265)
In the prison, the old guy says that you have to have a fear of death, or you have nothing help you beyond the point of reason. to paraphrase, "how can you fight beyond what you can, how can persevere beyond what is possible without a fear of death, because without the fear of death, you have nothing to fight for"

Thank you. You said it in the way I was trying to say it but failed miserably.

Mr. Plow 07-26-2012 07:21 AM

lol. You think your tan line is bad.....

http://chzfailnation.files.wordpress...lines-fail.png

JD10367 07-26-2012 07:28 AM

The thing that I find the hardest to fathom isn't necessarily just the "escape" portion, but the whole bomb idea. It has a six-mile radius (which they state clearly). Judging from the camera long-shots, the Batplane is around five miles off shore at the least, given the distance off shore that we see the final explosion. Since the edge of the explosion is nowhere near Gotham, extrapolate at least another three miles (to the center of the blast). So he had to fly at least 8 miles off shore. IIRC he takes the bomb with about 2:00 to go on the clock. (That's a rough guess. Even though I've seen it 13 times I've had two days off so I'll have to refresh my memory on it.) He spends some time getting it out of the tunnel, blowing up the building, and flying over JGL's head. That probably takes another 30 seconds, but for the sake of leniency let's say it doesn't, and give him the full 2 minutes. To go 2 minutes in 8 miles means you have to be going 240 miles an hour. Under no circumstances in the film--including the speed at which he started leaving Gotham--does that Batplane look like it goes 240 miles an hour. Never mind how Bruce Wayne lived, how did Gotham?

Micjones 07-26-2012 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 8768568)
The thing that I find the hardest to fathom isn't necessarily just the "escape" portion, but the whole bomb idea. It has a six-mile radius (which they state clearly). Judging from the camera long-shots, the Batplane is around five miles off shore at the least, given the distance off shore that we see the final explosion. Since the edge of the explosion is nowhere near Gotham, extrapolate at least another three miles (to the center of the blast). So he had to fly at least 8 miles off shore. IIRC he takes the bomb with about 2:00 to go on the clock. (That's a rough guess. Even though I've seen it 13 times I've had two days off so I'll have to refresh my memory on it.) He spends some time getting it out of the tunnel, blowing up the building, and flying over JGL's head. That probably takes another 30 seconds, but for the sake of leniency let's say it doesn't, and give him the full 2 minutes. To go 2 minutes in 8 miles means you have to be going 240 miles an hour. Under no circumstances in the film--including the speed at which he started leaving Gotham--does that Batplane look like it goes 240 miles an hour. Never mind how Bruce Wayne lived, how did Gotham?

Getting it out to the bay seems much more reasonable than Batman escaping the blast radius OUTSIDE of the Batwing.

kaplin42 07-26-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 8760404)
This whole movie left a bad taste in my mouth. Its clearly not aimed toward people who know the characters very well unless we're addressing the stupid twist that exploited people's knowledge of the books in order to get the twist over. Nice douche....nice.

To trash the origin of Bane so thoroughly, and for the sake of a ridiculous twist to reveal Talia Al Ghul in an equally horrific trashing of book version is just ridiculous to me. You take Bane, arguably the most vicious and cerebral enemy Batman has ever known and try to turn him into a sympathetic character at the end? Just your regular run of the mill pit prisoner who got a frosty smooth beatdown for protecting a child? Lame.

Why the hell does hothead cop know who Batman is? Its never explained, its just dropped in our lap. You. Youre Batman. Why did you wear the mask? So dumb. Then later to actually make his birth name "Robin" was just too much.

Talia's turn and entire role in the plot was asinine. She's in love with Bruce in the books, saved his life on more than one occaision and even had his kid. So why she was chosen to lead the "Nuke Gotham City" plan, I have no idea. Her character being in this film made about as much as Gwen Stacy in Spider-Man 3. Something about the third movie in a trilogy that brings out the WTF moments I guess.

The Bane fights were way too Rocky 3 for me. First fight is a no contest beatdown, we get a nod to the breaking, but not the actual breaking of the Bat. Then you dangle from a rope for a few months and boom. Spine realigned, a few crunches, pushups, and chinups later, we're ready to go back and for some reason now youre able to just take Bane to the cleaners. Oh, and how Bane didnt become pink mist when shot by the Batpod when we saw it take down an entire wall of crushed cars is quite beyond my comprehension.

The ending bugs me as well. Its like Nolan either didnt know what he wanted to do with it, or he wanted to just leave it open for interpretation, or try to please both the unhappy ending seekers as well as happy ending seekers, you just cant try to apply any logic to it or it all falls apart.

We assume that Batman is killed flying the bomb out over the bay. He says there's no auto pilot. We see Batman give that long stare into the camera and then boom. Okay, Bats is toast but he saved Gotham. Kind of a bummer, but we'll roll with it. Funeral, Alfred sobbing, Wayne's will being executed, the works. If it just stopped here, with "Robin" finding the cave it wouldve been fine.

But wait!

A dejected Fox talks to the techs to see what he couldve done to help with the Auto Pilot. Tech says that it was patched six months earlier by Bruce Wayne. Cut to Alfred in Florence and he sees Bruce and Selina.

So, is Alfred imagining Bruce and Selina? It is much better for Nolan's sake if he is. It insults our intelligence far less. But the majority say no no, Bruce fixed the auto pilot, he got out. And he didnt say anything to Alfred because it was just like in Alfred's fantasy where they would say nothing to each other but they would both know that he'd made it.

Well, then this brings to mind a quote from one of my favorite books, Misery, by Stephen King.

quote Annie Wilkes

They also called them serials. I'm not stupid ya know... Anyway, my favourite was Rocketman, and once it was a no brakes chapter. The bad guy stuck him in a car on a mountain road and knocked him out and welded the door shut and tore out the brakes and started him to his death, and he woke up and tried to steer and tried to get out but the car went off a cliff before he could escape! And it crashed and burned and I was so upset and excited, and the next week, you better believe I was first in line. And they always start with the end of the last week. And there was Rocketman, trying to get out, and here comes the cliff, and just before the car went off the cliff, he jumped free! And all the kids cheered! But I didn't cheer. I stood right up and started shouting. This isn't what happened last week! Have you all got amnesia? They just cheated us! This isn't fair! HE DID'NT GET OUT OF THE *bleep* - A - DOODIE CAR!

So what if Bruce fixed the auto pilot? He never got out. We watch the Bat fly right out over the ice (if you fall in, youre dead in minutes) and explode. And even if we, the viewers didnt see it, are we meant to believe that if Bruce got out of that thing before it blew, that NOBODY watching it fly out there saw anything? Weak.

You also mean to tell me that after that little bitch Selina Kyle trapped Bruce with Bane for him to get utterly destroyed that the actual Batman of comic lore would give two shits about her from then on is completely ridiculous. Theres no way he would take that shit, let alone run off to Florence with her. Its insulting.

The entire idea that Bruce just up and says "Peace, Im out" at all is just ludicrous. Its the main reason the death, while more of a downer is far more believable.

Ive got so many issues with this film I cant even list them all for fear of carpel tunnel. Pretty disappointed with it in general.

TDK>Begins>Rises

While you're entitled to your opinion, it's absolutely amazing how one can watch a movie and still not see it.

lcarus 07-26-2012 11:21 AM

TDK>Rises>Begins. But I love Begins.

Fish 07-26-2012 11:23 AM

Another minor thing that bugged me was the magic knee brace thing...

Bruce was hobbling with a cane, and the Doc told him his body was beat up with all kinds of ailments like ligament damage, brain bruising, etc. But Bruce straps on simple knee brace with shining lights, and we never hear or notice anything health related about him at all. And Bane captures him and throws him in prison with the magic knee brace still on? Why? The entire point was to put him in the prison that's a huge deep hole that he couldn't get out of, in order to further break his spirit. But yet you don't bother with the glowing device on his leg?

I like the idea of Batman getting old and his body breaking down, and how that plays into the story. But I felt like they just kinda cut corners on that aspect and expected people to forget about it.

kaplin42 07-26-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8769165)

I like the idea of Batman getting old and his body breaking down, and how that plays into the story. But I felt like they just kinda cut corners on that aspect and expected people to forget about it.

This feeds into something I was thinking goes with the JGL at the end. I didn't see it brought up in the thread at all, but what if, and a big what if, JGL is Batman Beyond.

It's obvious Bruce is busted up, and can't really continue on, and JGL is right there, I think the plot could work. Bruce could be the mentor while JGL takes to the streets as the next Batman.

I could be, and more than likely am very wrong on this, but I just thought it was as good a guess as any of the others.

mikeyis4dcats. 07-26-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 8769220)
This feeds into something I was thinking goes with the JGL at the end. I didn't see it brought up in the thread at all, but what if, and a big what if, JGL is Batman Beyond.

It's obvious Bruce is busted up, and can't really continue on, and JGL is right there, I think the plot could work. Bruce could be the mentor while JGL takes to the streets as the next Batman.

I could be, and more than likely am very wrong on this, but I just thought it was as good a guess as any of the others.

I have zero knowledge of the comics, but my take was that JGL was going to be Batman.

Numerous reasons:

1. yes, his name was Robin, but that's a terrible way to disguise yourself if you're going to be Robin
2. Bruce fixed up the bat signal - maybe I'm wrong, but not likely Robin responds to the Bat signal.
3. The repeated discussion of Batman being anonymous and masked. Anyone can be Batman.
4. Had Bruce wanted anything else, he'd have had a suit made or left instruction.

kaplin42 07-26-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 8769237)
I have zero knowledge of the comics, but my take was that JGL was going to be Batman.

Numerous reasons:

1. yes, his name was Robin, but that's a terrible way to disguise yourself if you're going to be Robin
2. Bruce fixed up the bat signal - maybe I'm wrong, but not likely Robin responds to the Bat signal.
3. The repeated discussion of Batman being anonymous and masked. Anyone can be Batman.
4. Had Bruce wanted anything else, he'd have had a suit made or left instruction.

Technically Batman Beyond is still Batman. I will admit I don't know the comic story very well, but from what I understand:

-- Bruce is too old/broken to actually suit up and kick ass, so he "recruits" a young kid to actually do that.

-- Young kid takes up the mantle of the Batman, wearing the outfit and getting his hands dirty in the streets. Still Batman, not Robin or Nightwing.

-- Bruce stays involved by being intel back at the Batcave. Remember, half the reason Batman is so badass is because he is very intelligent. Having his brains on the back side figuring out the mysteries while the "new" Batman actually does the leg work

Deberg_1990 07-26-2012 11:55 AM

Im not convinced that the JGL version of Robin or Batman will ever come to frutition.

I loved the end, but i think it was mostly Nolan just throwing a big bone to the fans.

My short term guess is that Nolan moves on, and WB reboots Batman once again in 4 to 5 years.

lcarus 07-26-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8769293)
Im not convinced that the JGL version of Robin or Batman will ever come to frutition.

I loved the end, but i think it was mostly Nolan just throwing a big bone to the fans.

My short term guess is that Nolan moves on, and WB reboots Batman once again in 4 to 5 years.

Looking forward to the reboot. Loved the Nolan trilogy, but I'm ready for a Batman series that can be unrealistic in a comic book sort of way that will allow for villains like Clayface, Mr Freeze, etc.

Deberg_1990 07-26-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 8769379)
Looking forward to the reboot. Loved the Nolan trilogy, but I'm ready for a Batman series that can be unrealistic in a comic book sort of way that will allow for villains like Clayface, Mr Freeze, etc.

So you want the Burton/Schumacher Batman again?