ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Grade the 1st quarter of the season for Alex Smith (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276782)

DaFace 09-29-2013 05:07 PM

B for me. I don't see how anyone could call him an A if your definition of that is "as good as you can possibly expect a QB in the NFL to perform", but we do have low standards around here.

Sandy Vagina 09-29-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 10032485)
B for me. I don't see how anyone could call him an A if your definition of that is "as good as you can possibly expect a QB in the NFL to perform", but we do have low standards around here.

Yeah, which is why I was tempted to go with a B... but the drops.. penalties.. lack of run game early on.. new system.. :hmmm:

bricks 09-29-2013 05:39 PM

Man I would love to give him an A, but, Im gonna have to go with a B+.

Alex Smith is a very good Quarterback. He is not an elite Quarterback but he is a tad below it. I don't think he has the skill set like the best of them (P Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Ryan, etc) but he makes up for it with his intelligence.

What can I say? There are a lot of things I like about this guy. Im Impressed with a lot of things. I like how he is poised in the pocket. He seems to have both good pocket presence and awareness. I like how he is smart with the football and it shows in his decision making. That is evident since he doesn't turn the ball over which gives us a chance to win most weeks. Im impressed with how he progresses through his reads and executes by hitting his receivers in stride on a lot of short routes.

He may not sustain drives a lot of times, but what he is doing is completing passes or making plays when the team needs it most. Clutch? I hope so. But Im not gonna be too quick to judge in that sense. Im waiting to see if he does this on a consistent basis for the rest of the season and then decide whether or not he is clutch.

Finally, I like the fact that he wins. Alex Smith has the highest winning percentage amongst all quarterbacks in the league in the last two years and has also thrown for the fewest picks during that time span. He is a winner and statistical evidence backs it up.

DaneMcCloud 09-29-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

I gave him an "A" because he's executed nearly everything that's been asked of him. Most of the drops he's experienced were not his fault, they were the fault of the receivers. Plays that didn't pickup a third down were mostly due to poor playcalling, not Smith.

IMO, he's done everything Andy Reid has asked him to do. I think they've both grown together in the first four games and Reid asked him to do more today than in the three previous games, maybe combined. It wasn't his fault that guys were dropping perfectly placed balls right and left.

Pablo 09-29-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

This.

Wallcrawler 09-29-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 10031905)
Incomplete.

I need to see more of him before I can judge him as a quarterback. There had to be a reason why Harbaugh went with Kaepernick over him, so there are these lingering doubts that I have about his QB ability even though he's been very consistent and successful over the past two plus seasons.

However, I will jump on the bandwagon as more people vocalize his positives as a Chief. One more win should do it.

/CP Doomsayer

You need to see more before you can judge him on the first quarter of the season? Not sure how that's gonna happen there, math skills.

Saul Good 09-29-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

I gave him an A because he has played at a best case scenario level. He'll...he's played better than that.

If you told me that he would be on pace for these numbers and would be 4-0 at this point in the season a few months ago, I would have been all for it.

SAUTO 09-29-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 10031704)
B. Gets an A for today, though.

This
Posted via Mobile Device

Kaepernick 09-29-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragged Robin (Post 10032445)
Woah, an actual sensible and non-trolly post from you. :clap:

I have been consistent in my praise/criticism of Alex Smith. There are 2 guys on this forum who misrepresent me as an anti-Alex Smith troll.

If you go back and read my post history, you will see that I've always given Alex his credit where due and listed all his strengths such as football IQ, ball security, mastery of the short passing game, mastery of the playbook, and solid pre-snap reads. Any reading of my posting history will tell you that I am balanced on Alex, and not the troll these 2 guys paint me as.

I don't expect you to go back and read all my posts, but do a user search on my user name and keyword search on some of the positives I've listed above, and you will find plenty of posts from me listing these as Alex's strengths.

As a noob, I was almost laughed off the forum for making the argument that Alex Smith is "mobile". KC fans who hadn't watched him in SF thought he was some kind of statue. They aren't arguing now that they've seen Alex extend drives with his legs and scrambles. He just has to be more careful. I saw him run and dive forward last week and do the exact same thing that caused his concussion mid-2012. But the man is athletic and mobile. In fact, in that thread I was arguing for Alex's mobility I posted this vid.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Cy0XtvZMZoE?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

the Talking Can 09-29-2013 07:43 PM

we're 4-0 and have wiped our ass with the NFC East...hard to not give him an A

the defense is the heart and soul of the team, and the primary reason for being 4-0...the offense has been largely impotent outside of the 4th quarter, but perfectly clutch in the 4th quarter

i was happy to see that he didn't go into a shell after the interceptions, and the td to Bowe was the first time I've seen him trust that Bowe will make a play even if covered...that was good

Marcellus 09-29-2013 07:47 PM

Good to see TTC has come around to my way of thinking.

Pasta Little Brioni 09-29-2013 07:49 PM

Not sure, but am lovin it

DaneMcCloud 09-29-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 10032465)
In total, excellent game from Smith today. If this is the version of Alex Smith that we consistently get going forward, we're in for a very fun ride, and we'll have a legit 4-5 year window to make a run at a SB.

Prior to today, he had flashes of excellence, but today was a more fulsome body of high-quality work; he was a major reason for the dismantling of NY.

I honestly believe that had you seen Smith as many times as I have the past few years, you wouldn't have been nearly as disapproving of the trade or acquisition of Alex Smith.

It's somewhat shocking to me how my comments about Smith were dismissed.

a pp roach 09-29-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 10031668)
W

:toast:

the ONLY grade that matters

Mother****erJones 09-29-2013 08:11 PM

I give him an A honestly. With the oline he's got and how they're performing and his WR core. Not trying to be a homer but he's done well enough

Ace Gunner 09-29-2013 08:16 PM

I was gonna say "C" but a lot of posts persuaded me -- I'll say a B.

Ace Gunner 09-29-2013 08:34 PM

I had seats right next to the "QB cabinet" where he goes to put the helmet down. The QB group & OC, everyone congregates there -- the cabinet might house the puter/printer where they get copies from camera shots upstairs.

He's a cool cucumber, I think his disposition helped the offense today, particularly the receivers, who had a shoddy day.

Amid that stretch where Avery kept dropping passes, Smiff just stayed focused and silently, kept asking these guys to stick it out. When Smiff had a poor pass, he just seemed like the same guy, kind of thing. I see why league circles claim he's a tough minded, smart player. He doesn't get rattled.

Pasta Little Brioni 09-29-2013 08:45 PM

4400 total yard pace....holy ****

DeezNutz 09-29-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10033240)
I honestly believe that had you seen Smith as many times as I have the past few years, you wouldn't have been nearly as disapproving of the trade or acquisition of Alex Smith.

It's somewhat shocking to me how my comments about Smith were dismissed.

Could be.

I haven't been dismissive of you or your comments, but I simply disagreed with them based on my perception of the player. Naturally, I might end up being wrong. Won't be the first time for that.

DaneMcCloud 09-29-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 10033479)
Could be.

I haven't been dismissive of you or your comments, but I simply disagreed with them based on my perception of the player. Naturally, I might end up being wrong. Won't be the first time for that.

I wasn't trying to single you out: There are have been people that *seemed* to respect my opinion in the past that completely dismissed my opinion of Smith.

Pasta Little Brioni 09-29-2013 09:16 PM

He has been a hell of alot more than a game manager. Andy has put the games in his hands.

Mav 09-29-2013 09:28 PM

There was a large misinterpretation of who Alex Smith the qb was.

Glad to see that some people are starting to see what I saw. Maybe some day I wont be that guy who followed a mediocre qb to another teams message board lol.

Pasta Little Brioni 09-29-2013 09:30 PM

Dude you weren't alone. I pegged all offseason what kind of team this would be.

Mav 09-29-2013 09:32 PM

:D
Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 10033650)
Dude you weren't alone. I pegged all offseason what kind of team this would be.

Check your rep, I quantified you as such

Jakemall 09-29-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 10033667)
:D

Check your rep, I quantified you as such

Stop patting yourself on the back :D

OnTheWarpath15 09-29-2013 09:56 PM

Solid B.

Not sure what happened during halftime, but apparently he flipped a switch.

I'll gladly take some INTs if we can keep that guy for the rest of the season. The first half, he was jittery, and passed over several WIDE open WRs downfield to either run or dump off. I'd have to watch the replay, but there were two plays in the first quarter where he missed an opportunity to McGrath on a post wide open that would have gone for 20+, and had McCluster running free behind the defense for an easy TD, but passed it by.

But the guy in the second half was willing to throw downfield. We need more of that.

His best play of the day was the TD to Bowe. Looked like a busted play, he slings it into tight coverage and Bowe does the dirty work. THAT'S why you have to get the ball to Bowe.

Hopefully the offense has turned the page on these early game struggles.

Dylan 09-29-2013 10:14 PM

Alex Smith is US debt number better than Colin Kaepernick is.

mcaj22 09-29-2013 10:19 PM

I'd give him an A

he hasnt taken the hits yet like he did in SF that got him hurt/injury prone

if he stays afloat and plays like this he will be very good, the knock on him is his injuries, but he's been very aware of when his crappy o-line has been breaking down and he's done a damn good job of escaping/getting the ball out. If he gets caught and whacked though will be the scary part.

he took some hard hits in those shitty years in SF, and even last year on the good team he got knocked out.

Sorter 09-29-2013 10:21 PM

Definitely a B.

Impressed, to say the least.

AussieChiefsFan 09-29-2013 10:26 PM

The second interception today was fairly unlucky on Smith's part. I feel that most of the INTs that Smith throws will be like that.

Anyway. I'm really glad with how he's played do far this year.

Id say B+

Eleazar 09-29-2013 11:28 PM

I was reading an old scouting report of Alex Smith from SI, when he was coming into the draft, and this all really does sound like him today:

Quote:

POSITIVES: Efficient and reliable passer that's done well in his college system. Accurate in the short field, leads receivers over the middle and places throws where only his target can make the reception. Solid timing on crossing patterns. Patient in the pocket, effectively reads the defense and does not make poor decisions. Goes through receiver progressions, waits for pass catchers to come free and throws to the safe underneath target if nothing's available downfield. Sets up with solid fundamentals and passes with an over-the-top delivery. Keeps his feet active and easily gets outside the pocket, making the throw on the move. Displays outstanding wherewithal and knows where receivers are on the field. Throws tight spiral with good zip. Stands strong and poised in the pocket as it collapses around him.

NEGATIVES: Must improve his corner patters in the end zone as passes tend to be flat. Rarely threw the ball down field in the Utah system.

ANALYSIS: A natural leader that does an excellent job running the offense, Smith has been very productive the past two years. Stays away from mistakes and has a tremendous touchdown-to-interception ratio. Does not have a deep passing arm just yet but would be initially effective in a timing or West Coast offense as he grows into a pro passing game.

PROJECTION: Early First Round
That's exactly what we have seen from him in the past four games. He is very good at executing an offense. He doesn't turn the ball over. He's very effective in the short and medium passing game. Pretty much a prototypical quarterback for this system. His main downside is that he doesn't have elite arm strength, as we have seen, but for what Reid is trying to do, you can see why he liked Smith all these years.

Mav 09-29-2013 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 10034098)
I was reading an old scouting report of Alex Smith from SI, when he was coming into the draft, and this all really does sound like him today:

That's exactly what we have seen from him in the past four games. He is very good at executing an offense. He doesn't turn the ball over. He's very effective in the short and medium passing game. Pretty much a prototypical quarterback for this system. His main downside is that he doesn't have elite arm strength, as we have seen, but for what Reid is trying to do, you can see why he liked Smith all these years.

I haven't seen a single throw from him this year that suggests that arm strength is an issue at all.

matter of fact. I would say of the elite qbs, and no, im not calling Alex Smith elite, and im not saying you have an issue with this, just stating the obvious, that of Brees, Rodgers, Manning of the Peyton variety, and Brady, that the only one that has a plus arm is Rodgers, and Alex Smith has as good an arm as the other three.

Accuracy, and anticipation are the most important traits for a qb.

Anyway. Good post.

Eleazar 09-29-2013 11:49 PM

He's got enough arm strength, but probably just average among starters in the NFL.

DaneMcCloud 09-29-2013 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 10034130)
He's got enough arm strength, but probably just average among starters in the NFL.

I haven't seen him make any throws, in KC or SF, that have made me question his arm strength.

el borracho 09-30-2013 12:04 AM

Combined record of the first four opponents is 3-13.
Alex is on pace for a magical 27/7 season.
B-

DaneMcCloud 09-30-2013 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 10034156)
B-

Dumb.

Just like every other stupid ****ing post you've made on this subject.

Mav 09-30-2013 12:05 AM

Quote:

B-

Your bears lost today....

Are you sad?

DaneMcCloud 09-30-2013 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 10034159)
Your bears lost today....

Are you sad?

He's a ****ing troll with an ugly dude in his avatar

Mav 09-30-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10034162)
He's a ****ing troll with an ugly dude in his avatar

ROFL

I know, he/she has been pissy moody pants since I have been here. Poking the bear (pun intended) when it comes into a thread to grade a guy who by all accounts is exceeding even the most ardent detractors of the Chiefs moves this offseason, is just too much for me to pass up.

And, I think I have been pretty mellow today all things considering. :D

suzzer99 09-30-2013 12:36 AM

B- until the 4th Q - where he's done everything we need and gets a solid A.

Jerm 09-30-2013 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 10031696)
It is an A. Period. Getting better every single week.

This 100%.

4-0 playing extremely smart and poised at the position.

Ragged Robin 09-30-2013 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 10034130)

I'd say it's average to above-average at best. Certainly not elite or a cannon. Lump it in the Schaub/Brees/Rivers/Romo tier. He can put enough heat on it when he needs to and has a handle on when to put touch on it.

kcxiv 09-30-2013 04:29 AM

only real choice is a B. He's cant be an A. A is elite. he's not elite. He's doing good right now. I wish he was an A, but he seems like he's getting more comfortable as the games go by. Seen some longer throws in todays game. Solid B.

vailpass 09-30-2013 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 10034262)
only real choice is a B. He's cant be an A. A is elite. he's not elite. He's doing good right now. I wish he was an A, but he seems like he's getting more comfortable as the games go by. Seen some longer throws in todays game. Solid B.

"Saw". But yeah, coupled with your D he's good enough.

kcxiv 09-30-2013 04:38 AM

i slept 4 hours in the last 48 hours, im bound to make a mistake, but imma sleep like a champ in about an hour or 2. lol Football Sundays kill my sleeping.

Hmmm... more like 40 hours. I dont know, im delirious right now. lol

The Bad Guy 09-30-2013 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 10033851)
Solid B.

Not sure what happened during halftime, but apparently he flipped a switch.

I'll gladly take some INTs if we can keep that guy for the rest of the season. The first half, he was jittery, and passed over several WIDE open WRs downfield to either run or dump off. I'd have to watch the replay, but there were two plays in the first quarter where he missed an opportunity to McGrath on a post wide open that would have gone for 20+, and had McCluster running free behind the defense for an easy TD, but passed it by.

But the guy in the second half was willing to throw downfield. We need more of that.

His best play of the day was the TD to Bowe. Looked like a busted play, he slings it into tight coverage and Bowe does the dirty work. THAT'S why you have to get the ball to Bowe.

Hopefully the offense has turned the page on these early game struggles.

I, too, think that was his best play. He got absolutely killed on the play by Rodgers too. I also think that pass to Brock was really fantastic.

The Bad Guy 09-30-2013 04:53 AM

Quote:

B-

Denver Broncos combined opponents record: 4-12 with 3 of those 4 at home.

ChiliConCarnage 09-30-2013 05:17 AM

Based on my expectations I'd give him an A+ so far.

I think his stats are about where I thought he could be with solid line play and a dominant running game. Obviously, that hasn't been the case and our offense has mostly been reliant on Alex Smiths arm to sustain drives. I thought that would end in colossal failure but at times it's worked very well and at worst the offense has stalled.

The guy completed passes to his 3rd and 4th string tight ends today.

He's very Jekyll and Hyde. This is several games now where he's looked like a different guy suited up for the second half.

farmerchief 09-30-2013 06:05 AM

It sure is refreshing to have a QB that appears to be able to make progressions through his wide receivers, and not get too rattled! I always feel if he has time, he can find someone to deliver the ball to, maybe not the downward pass I would like, but at least deliver the ball in a catchable position. No, he's not perfect, but pretty dang good!

RINGLEADER 09-30-2013 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10031684)
B+ to A-. Would've been a B or a B- before today's game.

Those projected stats to end the season would be solid. More than I expected before the season began.

I have nothing more to add to this...

RINGLEADER 09-30-2013 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 10034269)

Not sure if the Bronco fans are really that obtuse as to realize that the Broncos haven't played a real NFL defense yet?

warrior 09-30-2013 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 10034324)
Not sure if the Bronco fans are really that obtuse as to realize that the Broncos haven't played a real NFL defense yet?

Yes, yes they are! :hmmm:

ChiTown 09-30-2013 07:22 AM

I have him as a solid B+. If he went down field more, I think it would only HELP his current game. If he shows he can do that, he would easily move it the A range

Dayze 09-30-2013 07:36 AM

B - probably doing exactly what Reid wants. high percentage passes; limiting turnovers etc.

he won't cross this grade threshold for me personally, until he starts throwing it beyond 10 yards more than twice per game

InChiefsHeaven 09-30-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 10034324)

As true as this is, I do think that since they are absolutely killing teams and putting up god-awful stats on offense, they look like a cut above.BUT...they have not played a good or even decent defense yet...

Shox 09-30-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10034374)
B - probably doing exactly what Reid wants. high percentage passes; limiting turnovers etc.

he won't cross this grade threshold for me personally, until he starts throwing it beyond 10 yards more than twice per game

Bullseye.

He is much better than Cassell and I'm glad he is wearing a Chiefs uniform. BUT, BUT, BUT.
This offense has got to expand or we are going to start having problems against the better teams.

Yesterday on the first series we had 3rd and 4 or 5. Giants were in a 1 deep safety and Bowe was one on one. He gets a half a step on his guy and Smith has the entire field from the hash marks to the sidelines to throw over the top and outside. I don't even think he looked his way.

You have to take that shot almost every time.
1. You complete the pass
2. You get a interference call
3. Incomplete
4. Pick and it works like a punt
5. Pick and they get a good run back.
There really is only 1 out of 5 outcomes which really hurts you.

We had several opportunities when the Giants were in 1 deep safety and I don't think we every tried to take a shot. Maybe the WR did not win in those situation, but I was at Arrowhead and saw the one described.

The other thing which drives me crazy throwing the ball so much on 3rd and very short. Yesterday in the second series we had 3rd and inches (maybe 1/2 yard) and we spread out throw it. We made the 1st, but the point is we never send a message. We never lineup and say ok here we come and you can't do anything about it. Teams that throw the ball around the yard all the time become soft. Examples...Indy (with Payton), Steeler (right now), Reid's old Philly teams, Saints to name a few.

The Franchise 09-30-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 10034268)
I, too, think that was his best play. He got absolutely killed on the play by Rodgers too. I also think that pass to Brock was really fantastic.

That pass to Brock made me rewind and double check that it was Smith who threw the ball. That shit was money.

And like OTWP58 stated....I'll take a 1-2 INTs if he's doing what he did yesterday. I'm actually kind of glad that he threw those INTs because I wanted to see how he was going to react to them. He responded perfectly.

NinerDoug 09-30-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 10031696)
It is an A. Period. Getting better every single week.

Certainly looks that way. His yards per game has increased every week. 288 yesterday.

Jakemall 09-30-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 10034269)

When you win games, your opponent's win % usually go down. :D

Mav 09-30-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10034674)
That pass to Brock made me rewind and double check that it was Smith who threw the ball. That shit was money.

And like OTWP58 stated....I'll take a 1-2 INTs if he's doing what he did yesterday. I'm actually kind of glad that he threw those INTs because I wanted to see how he was going to react to them. He responded perfectly.

Even I was stunned. Alex Smith is very good at the seam like that to tight ends, but usually not with that time of soft loft. its usually more of a line drive. Kinda like that throw to Avery. If he had put more loft on it, it was six.

Impressive throw.

Also I finally saw the throw to BOWE, that was a risky throw for Alex Smith. Impressive.

Jakemall 09-30-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 10034791)
Even I was stunned. Alex Smith is very good at the seam like that to tight ends, but usually not with that time of soft loft. its usually more of a line drive. Kinda like that throw to Avery. If he had put more loft on it, it was six.

Impressive throw.

Also I finally saw the throw to BOWE, that was a risky throw for Alex Smith. Impressive.

Always thought that Alex was good with his touch "loft vs bullet".

Mav 09-30-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakemall (Post 10034804)
Always thought that Alex was good with his touch "loft vs bullet".

Maybe I am just thinking of his throws to Vernon. Because he had to put them on his body he had to gun them. As we all know that Vernon has no hands.....

Straight BODY CATCHING HOMIE!!!

*Randy Moss voice*

Garcia Bronco 09-30-2013 11:13 AM

Solid B on the curve

philfree 09-30-2013 11:14 AM

Those are Trent Green type numbers.