ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs AT's slow news day Chiefs' salary-cap update (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=281566)

thabear04 02-19-2014 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 10440768)
ehhh, you could probably make the argument that the Cowboys are definitely cap hell. 32 million over the cap? They are going to have to cut a lot of talent just to get under.

Bet Miles Austin gets cut.. Has really done nothing since he last played the Chiefs when he beat them in OT.

Titty Meat 02-19-2014 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 10441414)
Baltimore did this then immediately cut like 100 guys the following year lol

They also signed Chris Canty, Elvis Dumervil, Micheal Huff and traded for Eugene Monroe.

PunkinDrublic 02-19-2014 01:31 PM

Less money under the cap means less money to spend on FAs.

Teicher

Mr. Laz 02-19-2014 01:42 PM

I'm not sure extending Hali is a good idea, he was looking pretty slow late in the season.

notorious 02-19-2014 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10441409)
Teams that get carried away with this basically load up for a super bowl run. Teams like Baltimore are glad they did it because they won a super bowl, but quickly realize that there are actual consequences to your spending. We essentially have a completely clean cap in 2016. If we feel like we can make a super bowl before then, then restructure away. I would rather clean up the books and give Reid and Dorsey tons of flexibility by 2016.

This team is decent without changing very much.

I agree with you.

OrtonsPiercedTaint 02-19-2014 01:44 PM

I think this is the update part:

The Chiefs also have a salary-cap carryover of $2,381,518 they will add to the league’s limit, buying them some extra room.

Direckshun 02-19-2014 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolate Hog (Post 10441291)
You keep repeating this and it isn't true.

Once Smith is extended that will free up some money. David Canter told me the Chiefs are close to being contenders they'll sign some guys while extending Smithand re-doing some deals. This isn't Joel Thurman saying this its an agent who knows the business.

1. Who the hell is David Canter and why should I care.

2. Why would giving Alex Smith more than the $7.5m he's scheduled to make this year make his cap hit lighter? We're going to have to double that.

Direckshun 02-19-2014 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 10441379)
Exactly. I thought, based on comments, that we'd be in much worse shape. The only guys I want back are Dex and Schwartz. Maybe TJ IF he's DIRT CHEAP.

We brought DeVito on board at $5m a year.

You're going to have to pay that to keep TJax.

Direckshun 02-19-2014 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dingleberry (Post 10441396)
Is Jason Hatcher a free agent? Would he be someone for a 3-4 defense?

Hatcher's going to stay in Dallas. He's in his twilight years and finally found a defense he can thrive in.

OldSchool 02-19-2014 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10441403)
Not a big fan of this. It essentially means you will overpay Hali in his twilight years, which I think are very quickly coming. It's why we shouldn't get too carried away with restructuring just because you can.

Berry makes sense because you want him to be extended. With Hali as soon as hehe'sno llonger pro bowl material, I either want him completely off the books or to take a major paycut. With older guys, it sometimes makes sense just to rip the bandaid off instead of slowly peeling.

Suggs has a deal worth 28.5 mil over 5 years, his cost never goes over 6 mil in any of those seasons. If Hali signs a similar deal, he can easily be released if the organization feels that he is no longer worth the money at any point. I think that deal makes a lot more sense than keeping Hali at his current price tag for 2 more seasons and just letting him go. He's not a pass rusher that ever relied on superior speed to beat his opponent, he'll still be effective for a few more years, especially if we bring someone in to groom behind him and give him some rest.

Titty Meat 02-19-2014 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 10441589)
1. Who the hell is David Canter and why should I care.

2. Why would giving Alex Smith more than the $7.5m he's scheduled to make this year make his cap hit lighter? We're going to have to double that.

David Canter is Sean Smith & Eric Weddles agent. He's the business and how teams work.

Direckshun 02-19-2014 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10441620)
Suggs has a deal worth 28.5 mil over 5 years, his cost never goes over 6 mil in any of those seasons. If Hali signs a similar deal, he can easily be released if the organization feels that he is no longer worth the money at any point. I think that deal makes a lot more sense than keeping Hali at his current price tag for 2 more seasons and just letting him go. He's not a pass rusher that ever relied on superior speed to beat his opponent, he'll still be effective for a few more years, especially if we bring someone in to groom behind him and give him some rest.

The longer-term you sign a player, the more he's going to cost you when you cut him.

Direckshun 02-19-2014 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolate Hog (Post 10441633)
David Canter is Sean Smith & Eric Weddles agent. He's the business and how teams work.

Fair enough.

I just don't understand how paying Alex Smith twice what he's scheduled to make lowers his cap number.

mcaj22 02-19-2014 03:00 PM

we won't have a clean cap in 2015 but can't we get out of a lot of these contracts after the '14 season where it actually saves the Chiefs money and the cap hit is a lot lower, Flowers and Smith come to mind here, I think Hali in 2015 saves money as well. the Chiefs will only take a small hit in dead money, think of it like what the Saints and Falcons did where they cut like 4 or 5 veterans at a time. That could be us, next year. Rather than restructuring and extending more years, of course.

Titty Meat 02-19-2014 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 10441656)
Fair enough.

I just don't understand how paying Alex Smith twice what he's scheduled to make lowers his cap number.

I'd love to ask him that and different questions about how this stuff works. Maybe compile some questions from CP members regarding the salary cap, free agency, and the relationship between agents and teams. It could be interesting and he's a real cool guy who's answered just about any football related question i've asked him.