ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics Recommend HDMI-to-SVIdeo convertor (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269889)

KChiefer 02-11-2013 08:35 AM

Heh yeah, if that's a dvi port, get a hdmi-to-dvi cord.

loochy 02-11-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefer (Post 9393261)
Heh yeah, if that's a dvi port, get a hdmi-to-dvi cord.

won't he still have HDCP issues if hes playing a blu ray?

also, will going from the HDMI disable the other sound output from the blu ray? If so, how will he get sound?

Frankie 02-11-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9393205)
Just use the RCA. It's simple and I bet you already have the necessary cables. I never noticed a difference between that and RCA and component on low definition devices anyway.

Here's how I look at it. At the movie theater you actually don't get the sharpest resolution. I always detect some graininess or fuzziness on the screen. All I want is a projected picture like in a movie theater. Buying a new projector is not an option for the next few years. After remodeling my house we have too many upgraded/new furniture and appliances on payment. Plus the new 55" LG Cinema 3D HDTV and the corresponding Blu-Ray/DVD player.

SO, if RCA will do the job enough for a real theater quality picture I will do it. I suppose the RCA cables differ in gauge and I should perhaps get the best. Right?

Additionally, I just wanted to ****ing avoid the fishing the RCA cable up a wall and across the attic. Looks like I now have to do that. :(

Thanks for all the advice. If more comes to your mind please post them.

Frankie 02-11-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9393418)

also, will going from the HDMI disable the other sound output from the blu ray? If so, how will he get sound?

The sound will not be through the projector. It'll be through the connection between the DVD player and the surround receiver.

KChiefer 02-11-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

I doubt he'll have a HDCP issue. Hell I barely know what HDCP is as I've never had it be a problem. FWIW, DVI is listed on the HDCP wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-ba...ent_Protection

As far as the sound, I'd hope that some other type of audio out would still work. Don't know until you try it I guess.

DaFace 02-11-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

I know nothing of the HDCP issues, so I can't speak to that. I'd bet he can run sound through the RCA connections, though. That's typically the way it's set up in my experience.

Chazno 02-11-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 9393426)
Here's how I look at it. At the movie theater you actually don't get the sharpest resolution. I always detect some graininess or fuzziness on the screen. All I want is a projected picture like in a movie theater. Buying a new projector is not an option for the next few years. After remodeling my house we have too many upgraded/new furniture and appliances on payment. Plus the new 55" LG Cinema 3D HDTV and the corresponding Blu-Ray/DVD player.

SO, if RCA will do the job enough for a real theater quality picture I will do it. I suppose the RCA cables differ in gauge and I should perhaps get the best. Right?

Additionally, I just wanted to ****ing avoid the fishing the RCA cable up a wall and across the attic. Looks like I now have to do that. :(

Thanks for all the advice. If more comes to your mind please post them.

You should consider running HDMI or cat 6 for down the road at the same time :)

KChiefer 02-11-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chazno (Post 9393448)
You should consider running HDMI or cat 6 for down the road at the same time :)

Yeah, he could actually run a normal hdmi cable and buy a hdmi-to-dvi converter and then just remove the converter later if he gets an hdmi projector.

Like this, just make sure to get the right male/female combo.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
http://images.monoprice.com/productm...ages/20811.jpg

Doing a quick search of HDCP, it seems like it's only an issue if one of the devices isn't HDCP compliant, which would likely be the projector which means it would be an outdated POS.

Frankie 02-11-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefer (Post 9393457)
Doing a quick search of HDCP, it seems like it's only an issue if one of the devices isn't HDCP compliant, which would likely be the projector which means it would be an outdated POS.

How can I check that? Is there a website that would tell me this if typed in the make and the model of my projector?

Or maybe call InFocus (the projector brand) and ask them?

BTW, many thanks for the link.

KChiefer 02-11-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 9393528)
How can I check that? Is there a website that would tell me this if typed in the make and the model of my projector?

Or maybe call InFocus (the projector brand) and ask them?

BTW, many thanks for the link.

Yeah, look for the model # on the unit and you should be able to find specs online. Or google "model # + HDCP" and someone will likely have asked this question on some av forum. Or if you can find the manufacture date, you'd likely be able to rule out that it's not HDCP compliant if it's made after "X" date. HDCP really only seems like an issue for products made when digital media was coming of age. Or sure giving them a call couldn't hurt.

PS: Also best to buy your HDMI cable from monoprice or an online equivalent. If you've never heard, hdmi cable prices at places like Worst Buy are a rip off.