ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News BREAKING NEWS!: Casual marijuana use linked with brain abnormalities (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=283027)

BlackHelicopters 04-16-2014 06:50 AM

Pot alters brain development? Who knew?

King_Chief_Fan 04-16-2014 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10565514)
Is it possible that the brain abnormalities were already there but people with that brain abnormality are more likely to want to smoke pot?
The brain abnormality is leading to the pot smoking and not the other way around?

i knew there would be a time where we had similar thoughts:)

htismaqe 04-16-2014 06:57 AM

I've smoked pot off and on for 20+ years and know many, many people with advanced degrees and high-paying jobs that do it.

Losers smoke pot but smoking pot doesn't turn you into a brain-dead moron.

Bad science is bad science.

notorious 04-16-2014 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10565514)
Is it possible that the brain abnormalities were already there but people with that brain abnormality are more likely to want to smoke pot?
The brain abnormality is leading to the pot smoking and not the other way around?

This.

A lot of the tendencies found in the study are 100% true with the people I know that smoke, but the issues were probably caused by shitty parenting and a poor template.

htismaqe 04-16-2014 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 10565246)
“We need to see what happens longitudinally,” Breiter said. “What happens as you follow people over time? What happens if they stop using – do these bad effects continue? What happens if you can intervene early?...My worry is we haven’t studied this compound and here we are looking to change legislation on it.”

Kind of like how we green light pharmaceuticals all the time?

The "we haven't studied it" argument is BS.

Eleazar 04-16-2014 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10565683)
"potential therapeutic uses" does NOT equal "cure all".

:facepalm:

Curative, medicative, benignant... whatever.

The point I was raising is only that that the zeitgeist seems to be that pot is good for everything and everyone, which is not the case.

And I find it strange that many of the same people who emote about smoking in every way, from not wanting to smell it to the cost to all our health care, don't seem to have any issues with inhaling caricinogenic smoke from this source into your lungs. There are even studies out there that would tell you that marijuana smoke contains more carcinogens than tobacco smoke.

The debate seems to have moved from one realm of nonsense to another, from the irrationally bad to the irrationally good.

Simply Red 04-16-2014 07:11 AM

I'm chiefing right now - in about an hour I'll be hitting CFO's over the head and taking their money.

htismaqe 04-16-2014 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 10565708)
The point I was raising is only that that the zeitgeist seems to be that pot is good for everything and everyone, which is not the case.

You conveniently again ignored the word "potential".

Quote:

And I find it strange that many of the same people who emote about smoking in every way, from not wanting to smell it to the cost to all our health care, don't seem to have any issues with inhaling caricinogenic smoke from this source into your lungs. There are even studies out there that would tell you that marijuana smoke contains more carcinogens than tobacco smoke.

Not sure where you got this. I don't participate in the DC forum so I really don't know what you're talking about. I personally detest cigarette smoking but don't care if someone else wants to smoke. The cost to our healthcare system is largely irrelevant to me personally. We also pay for people who huff gas and canned air. If dumbasses want to do it, fine with me, but I'd never personally do it.

Quote:

The debate seems to have moved from one realm of nonsense to another, from the irrationally bad to the irrationally good.

Well what did you expect? It's Merica after all.

BigMeatballDave 04-16-2014 07:54 AM

To those bitching about Marijuana:

Do you use alcohol?

If so, SHUT THE **** UP.

Nzoner 04-16-2014 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10565698)
I've smoked pot off and on for 20+ years and know many, many people with advanced degrees and high-paying jobs that do it.

Yeah but those people just like the ones I know do not have time to take part in such a study nor do they need the $100 being paid to take part in it.

htismaqe 04-16-2014 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 10565782)
Yeah but those people just like the ones I know do not have time to take part in such a study nor do they need the $100 being paid to take part in it.

Precisely.

Frosty 04-16-2014 08:12 AM

A study came out last year that showed you can get a pretty heavy dose of pesticides from smoking pot. If there really are brain abnormalities, I wonder if they could be caused by the pesticides and not the pot itself? You would have to test and control for that, too, to know for sure.

htismaqe 04-16-2014 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 10565802)
A study came out last year that showed you can get a pretty heavy dose of pesticides from smoking pot. If there really are brain abnormalities, I wonder if they could be caused by the pesticides and not the pot itself? You would have to test and control for that, too, to know for sure.

Can't do that. Have to blame marijuana. The makers of Lyrica are upset.

loochy 04-16-2014 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 10565634)
True but alcohol is even more so that way.

http://i.imgur.com/64TiMLD.gif

Is that a GIF of Clay eating his Winstead's burger?

Eleazar 04-16-2014 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10565738)
You conveniently again ignored the word "potential".

Sure, but in politics and marketing, potential may as well be reality and is often presented as such. The debate that was about stem cell research was the same thing.

Quote:

If dumbasses want to do it, fine with me, but I'd never personally do it.
The question is really, does pot cause smoking related illnesses. Certainly it can. (yes, potential) If so, then should we encourage it? I mean, sure, people should be able to do whatever they want, but since we're all going to have to pay for it if they get lung cancer, should we be marketing it...?

I don't care personally. I have no interest in drugs any longer, and I'd like it if people could do however many drugs they want so long as it didn't impact anyone else. But in reality, we're moving ever more toward a welfare state and so in practice it will affect everyone else.

I'm not for or against it really, but pot advocates often oversell it as some sort of a miracle tonic that cures what ails you, and I don't think that's any different from Reefer Madness type disingenous marketing.