ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Seinfeld and Kramer-together again and going for coffee (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=264652)

DaneMcCloud 10-05-2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durtyrute (Post 8980614)
If you are over the age of 25 and in anger you say the N word then you probably have some racists ways.

What does age have to do with it?

DaneMcCloud 10-05-2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durtyrute (Post 8980511)
If he was some young punk who didn't know better then maybe I could see how that could happen out of anger. This guy was what, 40 something when he said it? 40 year old men should have enough control to not go around saying shit like that, unless they have "racist tendencies." I love/loved the show and think it was the funniest in TV history, but that was still ****ed up.

He was in his mid 50's, FWIW.

durtyrute 10-05-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8981028)
What does age have to do with it?

People earlier were trying to excuse it like it's no big deal. That might be "kinda" true for some young punk, but a man that is in his 50's (thanks for the correction) should be mature enough to not go there. Unless, he has some racists ways.

DaneMcCloud 10-05-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durtyrute (Post 8981054)
People earlier were trying to excuse it like it's no big deal. That might be "kinda" true for some young punk, but a man that is in his 50's (thanks for the correction) should be mature enough to not go there. Unless, he has some racists ways.

This is a weird tangent for me.

I've known plenty of guys, Black, Mexican and Asian, that have no issue saying "****a" both in friendly and derogatory ways. People age 22-45.

Personally, I don't think there's any difference between the two words, yet to some people, there is a difference.

Whatever the case, I don't use nor condone using either. Besides the fact that my brain doesn't go there, it's a really slippery slope.

DaneMcCloud 10-05-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8980637)
Everyone has some form of racial tendencies.

I never considered myself racist in any way until I moved to Los Angeles and in my third apartment, I lived next to: You guessed it...Russians.

I lived next to an older Russian couple that drove me batty. My wife (girlfriend at the time) who is Asian, noticed my disdain shortly after she moved in with me.

Everything they did made me nuts: Their language, their smell, their food, etc. One night, my wife and I talked it out. Long story short, I grew up during the Cold War and was raised pretty much to hate Russia and everything about them. They were going to nuke us and in 1983, did in a movie set in Lawrence, Kansas. They were Communist and evil and I subconsciously hated them, without knowing it.

Fast forward a few months and our head programmer at Uni was Russian. I had to work with him on a huge project and I wasn't happy about it. Come to find out, he and his family escaped Russia in 1980. He lost a daughter to gun fire as they were escaping. His wife and other two children made it but you could see in his eyes that it still hurt badly, 17 years later.

At that point, I pretty much learned to let it go.

Two-Twenty 10-06-2012 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8981024)
Yes, I've heard worse. I went to comedy clubs in the KC area in the 80's (Stanfords - both locations and more) and heard more offensive language and "humor" than when Richards clearly lost it.

I'm not condoning his actions. It's obvious he was on edge and should have just walked away but instead, took the low road.

See above. He's not Mel Gibson. He hasn't had multiple instances of public or overt racism. He had a bad day and made a bad choice.

Again, not condoning, just recognizing the facts.

I don't think that's "okay" on CP. As a matter of fact, I think it's a bannable offense, as it should be.

You lost me here. What exactly are you referencing?

Yeah, it just bothers me that the tirade wasnt in joke form at all. it looked and sounded very real, which is scary considering hate crimes and the mob mentality that some people have.

Just arguing about Kramers legacy.

I could be wrong but I dont see him getting another shot on a major network. I dont think advertisers will risk a boycott or really low ratings by backing this guy. Those are the cosequences i was referring to. I know its not tolerated on CP either but you can say racist things and the world will never know. But in real life, depending on your industry, there could be repercussions for what you say.

007 10-06-2012 02:02 AM

That was fun to watch and I didn't even care that much for their sitcom. Loved the music in it too.

DaneMcCloud 10-06-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Two-Twenty (Post 8981269)
I could be wrong but I dont see him getting another shot on a major network. I dont think advertisers will risk a boycott or really low ratings by backing this guy.

He's 63 years old. He hasn't been on a network TV show the ill-fated Michael Richards Show in 2000, which only lasted a few weeks.

2006 rant or not, the guy wasn't garnering any network attention, anyway and I agree, it definitely sealed his fate.

qabbaan 10-06-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Two-Twenty (Post 8980310)

Of course ive heard racist and sexist jokes come from comedians of multiple ethnicities, but when you completely breakdown and stop your routine to remind an audience member that "50 years ago you would be hanging from a rope right now"

So the problem was with the delivery?

Tons of edgy, racist stuff happens in every comedy club. Those places are cesspools for the raunchy and tasteless. Most of the reason this became a big deal was because it was Kramer. If he'd been small time or if the races were reversed, nobody makes a big deal.

That being said, it was racist, he apologized, he seems repentant, the guys career was ruined. I think he has paid the penalty for a few n bombs, and if he wants to entertain people again, which is what he loves doing, good for him.