ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc 13 Things Your Mail Carrier Won’t Tell You (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=241201)

luv 02-04-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 7405656)
I'll give the mail carriers credit for dealing with the elements. I work in an office building.

But I handle items that contain confidential information on a daily basis.....so I can't give them credit for that.

I really think people that deal with confidential information should get paid more. I worked with medical records. Handled them everyday. And we hired people off the street at just above minimum wage. We had to take a HIPAA test, but we got five tries to get 100%! Like the post office, I think anyone dealing with confidential information needs to go through several background checks, testing if necessary, drug tests, and get paid more for this.

Saulbadguy 02-04-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 7405663)
I really think people that deal with confidential information should get paid more. I worked with medical records. Handled them everyday. And we hired people off the street at just above minimum wage. We had to take a HIPAA test, but we got five tries to get 100%! Like the post office, I think anyone dealing with confidential information needs to go through several background checks, testing if necessary, drug tests, and get paid more for this.

I don't. Stupid people don't know what to do with confidential information. If confidential information was available to someone with half a brain, they might figure out ways to use that information to their benefit. Stupid people will just drudge on throughout their day not taking advantage of the wealth of information at their fingertips, which is obviously advantageous.

mikeyis4dcats. 02-04-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7405661)
You're assigning way too much significance to yourself. I couldn't care less who started the thread. Walking around outdoors every day is a benefit, not a task. The rest of the job is just a job like any other.

When I got home Tuesday and saw my mailman walking his route in the blizzard conditions, I felt bad for him. I had just stopped at Redbox and in the time it took to rent 2 movies my fingers were numb.

While Saul sat at home Tuesday and Wednesday because the State closed, my mailman was out walking through blizzard conditions and snow drifts.

Hardly a benefit.

-King- 02-04-2011 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 7405666)
When I got home Tuesday and saw my mailman walking his route in the blizzard conditions, I felt bad for him. I had just stopped at Redbox and in the time it took to rent 2 movies my fingers were numb.

While Saul sat at home Tuesday and Wednesday because the State closed, my mailman was out walking through blizzard conditions and snow drifts.

Hardly a benefit.

And then they get to walk outside on beautiful spring/summer/fall days....

luv 02-04-2011 10:38 AM

Quote:

Hardly a benefit.

Wouldn't it be great someplace like California or Florida though? Except for the "mailman's tan" which is basically a form of the farmer's tan.

Saulbadguy 02-04-2011 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 7405669)
Wouldn't it be great someplace like California or Florida though? Except for the "mailman's tan" which is basically a form of the farmer's tan.

Hell it would be great anywhere. We get blizzard like conditions for what, a couple weeks throughout the year, if that?

Brock 02-04-2011 10:41 AM

Quote:

Hardly a benefit.

So that one or two days out of the year that you might be walking in a snowstorm is tough? Jesus, don't ever work on a cattle ranch.

phisherman 02-04-2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 7405665)
I don't. Stupid people don't know what to do with confidential information. If confidential information was available to someone with half a brain, they might figure out ways to use that information to their benefit. Stupid people will just drudge on throughout their day not taking advantage of the wealth of information at their fingertips, which is obviously advantageous.

so, now you're bitter AND you seem to have an over-inflated opinion of your own intelligence?

Baby Lee 02-04-2011 10:42 AM

My mailman is the talkingest mofo on earth. Has a bluetooth in his ear and rambles on, so that you know the mail's coming when he opens his vehicle door.

phisherman 02-04-2011 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 7405671)
Hell it would be great anywhere. We get blizzard like conditions for what, a couple weeks throughout the year, if that?

it sounds like you secretly WANT to be a mailman.

Saulbadguy 02-04-2011 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phisherman (Post 7405677)
it sounds like you secretly WANT to be a mailman.

Secretly? I thought I made it clear that I think it would be awesome to be a mailman. Perhaps you are stupid enough to get a job handling confidential information.

Quote:

I wish I could be a full time mail carrier, those guys got it made.

Over-Head 02-04-2011 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 7405580)
I believe that's why there have been talks of going to five day delivery instead of six. That would cut costs, but thousands would lose their jobs.

How so? we've NEVER had sat or sun delivery up here, while the post office may be open for buisness, if it wernt sorted Friday, you'll get it monday, same as sending out. Drop off all ya want but after 3pm Friday, it'll sit in the box or building till Monday (non-express packages mind ya)

Saulbadguy 02-04-2011 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Over-Head (Post 7405681)
How so? we've NEVER had sat or sun delivery up here.

"Mail on a Sunday?"

"Whoops!"

The Franchise 02-04-2011 10:46 AM

You know who's got it made? ****ing garbage men.

phisherman 02-04-2011 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 7405678)
Secretly? I thought I made it clear that I think it would be awesome to be a mailman. Perhaps you are stupid enough to get a job handling confidential information.

good point. why don't you just become a full-time carrier then?

nope, not stupid enough to handle confidential info, though i do work in health care.