ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Car Care and Detailing Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=291131)

lewdog 04-13-2015 03:58 PM

Just got off phone to schedule my window tinting. Lifetime warranty on pealing and bubbles with black limousine tinting on rear window and 35% on side widows for $150. Prices for window tinting were much higher a decade ago. That's awesome!

Indian Chief 04-13-2015 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 11434613)
Some just wax their wheels with their paint wax. I'll probably do that a few times a year.

Don't bother. Wax is unable to withstand the heat from the brakes and the corrosive brake dust. The first drive you take after waxing the wheels will take the wax right off. You need something like a polymer polish, such as Nu Finish. It is better able to withstand the harsh conditions near the wheels, and polymer polish has the advantage of removing some of the oxidation and contaminants from wheels or paint. I personally put a coat of polish on my paint before putting a carnuba wax on top. The polish helps me clean up the paint and gives a layer of protection. The wax gives me depth/shine.

lewdog 04-13-2015 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indian Chief (Post 11434804)
Don't bother. Wax is unable to withstand the heat from the brakes and the corrosive brake dust. The first drive you take after waxing the wheels will take the wax right off. You need something like a polymer polish, such as Nu Finish. It is better able to withstand the harsh conditions near the wheels, and polymer polish has the advantage of removing some of the oxidation and contaminants from wheels or paint. I personally put a coat of polish on my paint before putting a carnuba wax on top. The polish helps me clean up the paint and gives a layer of protection. The wax gives me depth/shine.

So a synthetic wax, not just a carnuba wax, would work on the wheels?

And yes, seems like even a non-abrasive or mildly abrasive polish before waxing preps the paint the best for a wax, right?

Indian Chief 04-13-2015 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 11434843)
So a synthetic wax, not just a carnuba wax, would work on the wheels?

And yes, seems like even a non-abrasive or mildly abrasive polish before waxing preps the paint the best for a wax, right?

If it's a polymer, then it should work just fine. It's mostly that carnuba isn't particularly tough. It looks like money right after you put it on, but it does't have staying power.

Polishes are great for prepping the paint. And you don't need anything abrasive. By their nature a polymer will clean up some of the paint. If you have the time, I definitely recommend putting polish down before a coat of wax. Keep in mind though, that polish will pretty much take off whatever is on the paint (wax, other coats of polish). So it isn't necessary to do it every time. I usually put polish on every couple of months and in between just wash and occasionally wax.

The other good thing about polish is that it helps buff out those 60 grit sandpaper scratches. :D

MIAdragon 04-13-2015 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 11434787)
Just got off phone to schedule my window tinting. Lifetime warranty on pealing and bubbles with black limousine tinting on rear window and 35% on side widows for $150. Prices for window tinting were much higher a decade ago. That's awesome!

They are still high, you need to look into the type/brand of tint. The solar rejection and color retention. I can tell you at that price level they quoted you a bottom shelf tint with minimal solar rejection that will turn purple in a year. Get a decent tint, do it once.

IIRC I had a windshield done with a decent ceramic tint last year and paid around 200.

lewdog 04-13-2015 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIAdragon (Post 11435012)
They are still high, you need to look into the type/brand of tint. The solar rejection and color retention. I can tell you at that price level they quoted you a bottom shelf tint with minimal solar rejection that will turn purple in a year. Get a decent tint, do it once.

IIRC I had a windshield done with a decent ceramic tint last year and paid around 200.

Wait, they are quoting me too high or too low? $150 was for whole car. Are you saying that's bottom shelf tint?

I know they use 3M tint and Llumar but not sure which kind. I think it's the Color Stable by 3M. I'll ask tomorrow.

BigRedChief 04-13-2015 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 11431292)
I love that blue on the BMW. Nice ride!:clap:

This is the new blue on the Scat Pack Shaker. Not even close to the quality of your blue.http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...pse82f0c5e.jpg

Buehler445 04-13-2015 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIAdragon (Post 11434396)
need more specifics and pics.

2010 GMC Sierra 1500.
Tan leather interior.
No grease or anything. Just dust and Dog dander. Chief dog goes to work with me every day.

If you have to have it, I can get a picture tomorrow.

KC native 04-13-2015 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indian Chief (Post 11434804)

I don't use a carnuba wax on my wheels. I use this.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Wheel_Gu..._p/wac_303.htm

Indian Chief 04-13-2015 11:33 PM

Haven't used it myself, but it looks good. According to their description it is polymer based.

frankotank 04-14-2015 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 11434599)
I'm going through all the shit my FIL brought down for the car and found this below. So that's what this is, a duster? You really wanna drag that across a dusty paint surface?

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 11434632)
Buy a new one. The one you have is toast.

When they're new, they have a slight charge that attracts dust and keeps it from being dragged across the paint. Once they get full, you have to change them out.

yeah KC is right. I'm on my second one.
I only use it if the car is clean but dusty. I waxed it last week. on dark blue paint you see the dust. that dang thing takes it right off and I kid you not it looks once again like it did when I had just finished waxing it.
if it's more than just dusty....got actual dirt behind the wheels and what not....don't use it.

Warpaint69 04-14-2015 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 11434344)
OK, this is as good of a place as any.

I bought a pickup this winter that has a leather interior for the first time. Of course in my profession it is dirty. Any care tips for leather interior?

Being a daily driver Kansas work truck, I would suggest purchasing a horse hair brush to help loosen dirt on the leather surface. This kit here from Adams will get the job done.

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/interi...ather-kit.html

Adam's is a little more pricey, I've used Chemical Guys cleaner and conditioner and haven't be disappointed. And its more reasonably priced.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Leather_...spi_109_16.htm

I honestly purchase the leather cleaner by the gallon, I use considerably more cleaner than conditioner. I know the Chemical Guys conditioner contains UV protection.

If your leather seats are a tan or grey over time you will notice the transfer of blue jean dye to the leather surface. I've had to use the following product to totally get it out before.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Leath...er_p_1079.html

lewdog 04-14-2015 11:15 AM

Called back and they do ceramic llumar for $300 on that car. Reviews on that brand seem good.

MIAdragon 04-14-2015 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 11436191)
Called back and they do ceramic llumar for $300 on that car. Reviews on that brand seem good.

The CTX is quality tint, great choice. I'd also recommend having the windshield done in clear ceramic well worth it IMO.

lewdog 04-14-2015 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIAdragon (Post 11436212)
The CTX is quality tint, great choice. I'd also recommend having the windshield done in clear ceramic well worth it IMO.

Good news. Thanks. What's the point of clear tint, just heat reduction?

BigRedChief 04-14-2015 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIAdragon (Post 11436212)

Who's the good retailer you know in my area?

BigRedChief 04-14-2015 12:57 PM

What about the clear bra/film that some are putting on their cars? Anyone ever do that?

MIAdragon 04-14-2015 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 11436357)
Who's the good retailer you know in my area?

Damit, I keep forgetting to pm you that detailer

lewdog 04-14-2015 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 11436393)
What about the clear bra/film that some are putting on their cars? Anyone ever do that?

I mentioned it a few posts up. Seems like mixed reviews. Many note oxidation. Others wax buildup around edges that takes extra time to remove. Still shows most rock dings. I'm saving that money and not doing it. I'd repaint it for that money if it ever got bad enough which would take years anyway.

lewdog 04-14-2015 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 11434648)
Thanks for the suggestions... I'll probably try some wheel wax first, and maybe consider covers over the winter when I'll be lazier about cleaning them.

Heh, I'd say I don't have time for that shit, but I guess it would only take a few minutes... guess I've never had wheels nice enough to care, but the difference in dust was a bit of an eye opener.

Hey Bearcat, you garaging that thing or using a car port?

KC native 04-14-2015 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 11436393)

On my friend's car that has it. You can clearly see where it is. He's had a somewhat difficult time keeping the paint under the film and the paint not under the film looking the same.

MIAdragon 04-14-2015 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 11436667)
On my friend's car that has it. You can clearly see where it is. He's had a somewhat difficult time keeping the paint under the film and the paint not under the film looking the same.

He got shitty film and a poor install.

Can you see the lines on this car?

http://www.autopia.org/forums/pro-de...-car-care.html

lewdog 04-14-2015 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIAdragon (Post 11436804)

You definitely can't see it if installed right but I keep reading reviews from people in high heat climates that the color of it will likely fade within a few years. And since I'm in Phoenix, that just doesn't make sense. Some are claiming that while there is a warranty if it changes color, sometimes with removal there have been cases of these clear protections taking away some of the paint or causing the color of the paint to change since it's porous. Again, I'm just reading things about it. Some do love it and swear by it.

MIAdragon 04-14-2015 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 11436835)
You definitely can't see it if installed right but I keep reading reviews from people in high heat climates that the color of it will likely fade within a few years. And since I'm in Phoenix, that just doesn't make sense. Some are claiming that while there is a warranty if it changes color, sometimes with removal there have been cases of these clear protections taking away some of the paint or causing the color of the paint to change since it's porous. Again, I'm just reading things about it. Some do love it and swear by it.

Thats why Id go with a coating like opti coat or cquartz.

lewdog 04-14-2015 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIAdragon (Post 11436998)
Thats why Id go with a coating like opti coat or cquartz.

You have a link to the opti-coat? Both easy enough for a n00b like me to not **** it up?

MIAdragon 04-14-2015 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 11437009)
You have a link to the opti-coat? Both easy enough for a n00b like me to not **** it up?

Hmm it cant be rocket science right?

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZaJ_56M08_Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lewdog 04-14-2015 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIAdragon (Post 11437028)
Hmm it cant be rocket science right?

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZaJ_56M08_Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That looks very interesting and easy! I think I might go that route and then wax over every few months with Megiuars NXT Wax.

lewdog 04-14-2015 09:01 PM

Alright, so I think this is my plan in the next few weeks. I'll spend some weekend doing this.

Wash car with Dawn to remove all wax/sealant. Clay bar car to smooth surface. Use mildly abrasive Menzerna's final polish (FF 3000) to remove minor swirls, clean off polish residue with 15% IPA mixture, apply Optimum Gloss coat. Allow to cure overnight and top with Meguiar's NXT Wax.

BigRedChief 04-14-2015 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 11437009)

I think more people like the cquartz and I'm going to have someone color correct my car and them put on the cquartz. wellll maybe if Miadragon ever gives me his detail contact.:rolleyes:

KC native 04-14-2015 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIAdragon (Post 11436804)

His problem is he only got the first 1/4 of the car and he got it done about 3-4 years ago.

Bearcat 04-14-2015 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 11436646)
Hey Bearcat, you garaging that thing or using a car port?

I have a garage. I'll probably get a cheap pickup or something for bad weather days and hauling shit... granted, the previous car was hailed on a few times and it always popped out in the summer.

Warpaint69 04-15-2015 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 11437275)
Alright, so I think this is my plan in the next few weeks. I'll spend some weekend doing this.

Wash car with Dawn to remove all wax/sealant. Clay bar car to smooth surface. Use mildly abrasive Menzerna's final polish (FF 3000) to remove minor swirls, clean off polish residue with 15% IPA mixture, apply Optimum Gloss coat. Allow to cure overnight and top with Meguiar's NXT Wax.

http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-fuzion-carnauba-polymer-car-wax.html

Its pricey, but some of the best wax for dark colors. :thumb:

lewdog 04-15-2015 04:02 PM

At tint shop. Getting ceramic on front window also. Said it can save heat and dash cracking down here.

lewdog 04-15-2015 04:20 PM

And did someone mention changing out the gears would change the speedometer? Because I'm pretty sure it's off by around 10 MPH when I match to speed on gps. What kind of fix is this?

BigRedChief 04-15-2015 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 11438695)
At time shop. Getting ceramic on front window also. Said it can save heat and dash cracking down here.

I'll be getting the ceramic tint also.

lewdog 04-15-2015 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 11438781)
I'll be getting the ceramic tint also.

Tint shop you dunce lewdog! Edited.

Yea looks to be the best. Reasonable here too. Lots of shops so good pricing. Very light tint on front that many do here but is illegal I guess. Looks like you can barely see it. Since I'm second owner I'll just pretend I had no idea it was on there. Although I doubt they'll be any problems. :D

BigRedChief 04-15-2015 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 11438796)
Tint shop you dunce lewdog! Edited.

Yea looks to be the best. Reasonable here too. Lots of shops so good pricing. Very light tint on front that many do here but is illegal I guess. Looks like you can barely see it. Since I'm second owner I'll just pretend I had no idea it was on there. Although I doubt they'll be any problems. :D

My car will come with 5% tint. I can go up to 28% legally. It adds up. I have to go with 35% ceramic tint to stay legal.

I'm going to be driving a big honking car that cops can't miss and will probably single out. Not going to give them any excuses. Let them measure. I'll be on my way sir.

lewdog 04-15-2015 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 11438809)
My car will come with 5% tint. I can go up to 28% legally. It adds up. I have to go with 35% ceramic tint to stay legal.

I'm going to be driving a big honking car that cops can't miss and will probably single out. Not going to give them any excuses. Let them measure. I'll be on my way sir.

I'm doing dark limo 5% on rear, 35% on side. That's all legal here.

BigRedChief 04-15-2015 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 11438824)
I'm doing dark limo 5% on rear, 35% on side. That's all legal here.

yeah, I think the rear is fair game for any level here too. Front and sides are whats regulated.

lewdog 04-15-2015 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 11438853)
yeah, I think the rear is fair game for any level here too. Front and sides are whats regulated.

The front windshield will be product called llumar air blue 80%. Very light tint so I'm not sure how anyone would notice. Then again my FIL put it on there and I never even knew it was on there. :D

lewdog 04-15-2015 06:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, she's done. Much better. Cannot tell at all there's tint on the front window. Tinting makes any car sleeker looking.

thabear04 04-15-2015 09:01 PM

Any good products to use on the headlights to restore them.

lewdog 04-15-2015 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thabear04 (Post 11439503)

Mothers plastic polish gets good reviews for that. Cheap too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00068...k9L&ref=plSrch

Miles 04-15-2015 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thabear04 (Post 11439503)

Depends how bad the are. If they have a haze or heavy scratching then you likely need a headlight restoration kit with sanding/polishing discs. I used a 3M kit a while back and results were really good.

thabear04 04-15-2015 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 11439560)
Depends how bad the are. If they have a haze or heavy scratching then you likely need a headlight restoration kit with sanding/polishing discs. I used a 3M kit a while back and results were really good.

Thanks.

thabear04 04-15-2015 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 11439541)
Mothers plastic polish gets good reviews for that. Cheap too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00068...k9L&ref=plSrch

Thanks for the help.

MIAdragon 04-15-2015 11:58 PM

You need to have them sprayed in a UV resistant clear after or it will yellow again quickly.

MIAdragon 04-15-2015 11:58 PM

Lew, car looks great!

Miles 04-16-2015 12:06 AM

Really curious how the Optimum coating works out. Have always wondered if those coatings helped much with all of the micro-scratches black picks up even when you are being really careful.

lewdog 04-16-2015 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIAdragon (Post 11439691)
Lew, car looks great!

Except for those wheels, right???!!! ROFL.

happy with the tint. Glad I went ceramic and more expensive. Still affordable though. Thanks for your help.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 11439695)
Really curious how the Optimum coating works out. Have always wondered if those coatings helped much with all of the micro-scratches black picks up even when you are being really careful.

Yea I'm not sure either but gets good reviews. Seems worth a shot over clear bra type stuff for at least some added protection.

This car is in good shape and he's been extra careful, but even in certain lights you'll catch very small surface defects. So light you have to twist your head a certain way to see them. So yea, on black, there will always be some micro scratches especially with daily drivers.

BigRedChief 04-16-2015 11:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 11439695)

Not black but my Mustang had the coating put on back in 2005. 10 years and 144k miles later it looks great.

frankotank 04-16-2015 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 11438992)
Well, she's done. Much better. Cannot tell at all there's tint on the front window. Tinting makes any car sleeker looking.

sweet!
what kinda horsepower is that thing pumping?

MIAdragon 04-16-2015 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 11440266)
Not black but my Mustang had the coating put on back in 2005. 10 years and 144k miles later it looks great.

Here is that detailer his name is Gary
813-846-4406

BigRedChief 04-16-2015 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIAdragon (Post 11440330)
Here is that detailer his name is Gary
813-846-4406

This guy rocks. Anything you want to know about detailing a car, this man figured it out years ago.

He invented his own chemical compound to do the paint sealant better than the cquartz/opti-coat. He is selling it on the internet

Check out the guys you tube channel. Shows you how to properly wash a car, use a claybar etc.
https://www.youtube.com/user/premiumdetailfl/videos

He also gave me the name of the top tint guy in the Southwest. They are booked out 3 months in advance during slow times. And these are not slow times. I mentioned Gary referred me and he moved me up to 2 months out. Going to be a couple of months before I take delivery anyway.:(

Thanks man, very good lead.

MIAdragon 04-16-2015 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 11440860)
This guy rocks. Anything you want to know about detailing a car, this man figured it out years ago.

He invented his own chemical compound to do the paint sealant better than the cquartz/opti-coat. He is selling it on the internet

Check out the guys you tube channel. Shows you how to properly wash a car, use a claybar etc.

He also gave me the name of the top tint guy in the Southwest. They are booked out 3 months in advance during slow times. And these are not slow times. I mentioned Gary referred me and he moved me up to 2 months out. Going to be a couple of months before I take delivery anyway.:(

He's a little nutty but knows what he's doing.

lewdog 04-16-2015 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 11440270)
sweet!
what kinda horsepower is that thing pumping?

You're asking the wrong dude! LOL.

I'm not sure and not sure I'll pay to find out. I could ask my FIL but not sure he knows either. ROFL

stonedstooge 04-17-2015 04:41 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Hey lewdog: check out my black Trans Am after 30 minutes of work. I live 2.5 miles from pavement so you can imagine how much dust and dirt gets all over my baby. It becomes a labor of love living with a black car.

I've waxed her twice so far this year with Maguires wax made specifically for black cars. I buff it off with a 10" buffer, hit it with the California Duster, and then wipe it down with a microfiber towel.

After driving in a couple of days ago, it was all dusty and had many bugs on the front nose, side of the bumper and mirrors. I dusted it down with the California IMG_0868.jpg Duster, sprayed it with a detailer and wiped down with a microfiber cloth. I let the detailer sit on the bugs for a spell to loosen them up.

Here's what she looks like when done

Attachment 109606

Attachment 109607

Attachment 109608

Attachment 109609

Not bad for a lady that will turn 20 this fall

Shit, can't get photos to load right now. When I got a new computer that had Windows 7 I haven't figured out how to get pictures to appear in my post. Anyone have some help?

Time's Yours 04-17-2015 05:35 PM

What do you guys to for carbon fiber on the inside of the car? Is it typically clear coated how a hood would be?

My seat backs have lost their shine and are pretty rough to the touch. You think just clay and wax them?

BigRedChief 04-17-2015 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonedstooge (Post 11442317)
Hey lewdog: check out my black Trans Am after 30 minutes of work. I live 2.5 miles from pavement so you can imagine how much dust and dirt gets all over my baby. It becomes a labor of love living with a black car.

I've waxed her twice so far this year with Maguires wax made specifically for black cars. I buff it off with a 10" buffer, hit it with the California Duster, and then wipe it down with a microfiber towel.

After driving in a couple of days ago, it was all dusty and had many bugs on the front nose, side of the bumper and mirrors. I dusted it down with the California IMG_0868.jpg Duster, sprayed it with a detailer and wiped down with a microfiber cloth. I let the detailer sit on the bugs for a spell to loosen them up.

Attachment 109606

Attachment 109607

Attachment 109608

Attachment 109609

Shit, can't get photos to load right now. When I got a new computer that had Windows 7 I haven't figured out how to get pictures to appear in my post. Anyone have some help?

They are upside down on your computer. Attaching them doesn't rotate the view.

Sweet looking ride! Even if it is upside down.

MIAdragon 04-17-2015 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillip (Post 11442379)
What do you guys to for carbon fiber on the inside of the car? Is it typically clear coated how a hood would be?

My seat backs have lost their shine and are pretty rough to the touch. You think just clay and wax them?

Nope need to be Clayed, compounded and polished then coated.

lewdog 04-17-2015 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonedstooge (Post 11442317)

Attachment 109606

Attachment 109607

Attachment 109608

Attachment 109609

She looks really good buddy! Sounds like you've got a good system for cleaning. So if you get sticky shit, bugs or tree shit, how long do you let the detailed sit before wiping? Do you let it dry a bit and do you spray the whole car each time?

lewdog 04-17-2015 10:10 PM

Quote:

Any link to this? I'm gonna be doing a full cleaning and seal job next week.

Good stuff being shared in here. I'm learning tons!

Bearcat 04-17-2015 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIAdragon (Post 11439691)
Lew, car looks great!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 11440147)
Except for those wheels, right???!!! ROFL.

Ever since that was mentioned I've been looking at my wheels and thinking, damn, I need to wash those more often... LMAO

I saw mentions of Sonax, going to give that a shot.

TrebMaxx 04-17-2015 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 11443261)
Ever since that was mentioned I've been looking at my wheels and thinking, damn, I need to wash those more often... LMAO

You should check out bimmerfest.com and join their forums. A lot of knowledgeable folks over there and threads for you specific model.

lewdog 04-17-2015 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 11443261)

Good!

My comment was for MIA who said he hated the rims on the mustang. I actually really like them in person, 19", clean as shit, and were hard to acquire back in 2005. And boy do I love to keep them shiny. Ammonia free windex takes the daily dust right off and shines them nice. That was a trick I learned years ago from my girlfriend at the time's father. He used it on some nice rims he had.

Bearcat 04-17-2015 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrebMaxx (Post 11443269)
You should check out bimmerfest.com and join their forums. A lot of knowledgeable folks over there and threads for you specific model.

It's one of my home tabs, as well as 2addicts. I've been reading up on coding and might give it a shot eventually... a lot of cool tweaks, provided you don't brick your car in the process.

TrebMaxx 04-17-2015 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 11443275)
It's one of my home tabs, as well as 2addicts. I've been reading up on coding and might give it a shot eventually... a lot of cool tweaks, provided you don't brick your car in the process.

:thumb: Are you Bearcat over there too?

Bearcat 04-17-2015 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrebMaxx (Post 11443287)
:thumb: Are you Bearcat over there too?

Perfektenschlag (vague reference from The Office)... lurk a lot more than post.

What do you drive (besides the bike, I guess)?

TrebMaxx 04-17-2015 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 11443321)
Perfektenschlag (vague reference from The Office)... lurk a lot more than post.

What do you drive (besides the bike, I guess)?

I have a 09 328i. It is now my wife's daily driver because I needed a truck for work. I love getting into the Bimmer when I get a chance because after driving my F-150 Super Crew it is like driving a go cart on steroids! I will say that there is something about BMW and the driving experience, it just feels so right. Congrats on your ride.

Bearcat 04-17-2015 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrebMaxx (Post 11443339)
I have a 09 328i. It is now my wife's daily driver because I needed a truck for work. I love getting into the Bimmer when I get a chance because after driving my F-150 Super Crew it is like driving a go cart on steroids! I will say that there is something about BMW and the driving experience, it just feels so right. Congrats on your ride.

Thanks, yeah everything about it is awesome. I don't think you can really know great handling until you experience it for yourself. I left it in Comfort mode the first few weeks, not sure I really buy the whole break-in period, but didn't want to beat the shit out of it either... but, now that I've tried out Sport mode more and more, I'm not sure there's any going back. :D

TrebMaxx 04-17-2015 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 11443353)
Thanks, yeah everything about it is awesome. I don't think you can really know great handling until you experience it for yourself. I left it in Comfort mode the first few weeks, not sure I really buy the whole break-in period, but didn't want to beat the shit out of it either... but, now that I've tried out Sport mode more and more, I'm not sure there's any going back. :D

When I drive mine it is always in DS!

Miles 04-18-2015 12:11 AM

Quote:

A while back I was reading up on rinseless washes and detailing forums kept mentioning the Gary Dean method. I still use the technique I learned from his youtube vid for washing my car with Optimum No Rinse.

BigRedChief 04-18-2015 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 11443378)
A while back I was reading up on rinseless washes and detailing forums kept mentioning the Gary Dean method. I still use the technique I learned from his youtube vid for washing my car with Optimum No Rinse.

Like Miadragon mentioned when you talk to him he is a little off but as far as detailing a car, he seems to figure out the best way to detail a car.

His youtubes are popular but like you said on the forums he is kind of a legend in the car detailing business. It's kind of cool that he will personally be color correcting and sealing my paint.

MIAdragon 04-18-2015 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 11443472)
Like Miadragon mentioned when you talk to him he is a little off but as far as detailing a car, he seems to figure out the best way to detail a car.

His youtubes are popular but like you said on the forums he is kind of a legend in the car detailing business. It's kind of cool that he will personally be color correcting and sealing my paint.

Wait until you see him in person, lol.

Time's Yours 04-18-2015 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIAdragon (Post 11443223)
Nope need to be Clayed, compounded and polished then coated.

Hmm, hopefully they come out easily.

lewdog 04-18-2015 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 11443378)

I'm assuming you only do that when the car isn't super dirty, right? I get the theory but you're still removing more dirt on a car with pressure from your hand than you would be with running water on the car first to remove much of the dirt.

MIAdragon 04-18-2015 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillip (Post 11443677)
Hmm, hopefully they come out easily.

What car did they come in?

lewdog 04-18-2015 08:35 PM

Just did a massive order for car care products on Amazon. Wife is going to wonder how I rung up that total and boy does it add up quickly!

Time's Yours 04-18-2015 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIAdragon (Post 11444454)
What car did they come in?

99 360. It looks pretty simple. They're fully manual, so no wires or motors, etc.

It looks like nobody has ever done more than spray and wipe them. They've really lost their gloss, and don't feel smooth to the touch.

Time's Yours 04-18-2015 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 11444522)
Just did a massive order for car care products on Amazon. Wife is going to wonder how I rung up that total and boy does it add up quickly!

Still a lot cheaper than having someone else do it though.