ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News Whitlock:Tech N9ne, his label a killer combination (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=187102)

dirk digler 07-10-2008 08:36 PM

Whitlock:Tech N9ne, his label a killer combination

God forbid that Jason actually writes about sports. This fat ass is becoming a joke if he wasn't already.

Tech N9ne, his label a killer combination

By JASON WHITLOCK

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/col...ry/698835.html
  • <!-- End: /pubsys/production/story/assets/external_link.comp -->

<!-- END /pubsys/production/story/story_assets.comp --> Local rapper Tech N9ne’s decadelong battle for national respect and mainstream success elevated to an unprecedented plateau last week.
The 36-year-old independent rapper’s newest CD, “Killer,” charted at No. 12 on the latest Billboard top 200, selling an impressive 36,200 units in its first week. The 32-track double CD is the nation’s No. 1 indie album, the No. 4 hip-hop CD behind Lil Wayne, G-Unit and Three 6 Mafia and puts Tech on the same platform as some of the biggest names in the music industry.

“It’s wonderful to be amongst the likes of Lil Wayne, Kid Rock and Rihanna,” said Tech N9ne, who co-owns the Blue Springs-based label Strange Music that puts out his music. “We’ve been working hard to get here for a long time. This is just the beginning. There are bigger and better things to come from Tech N9ne and Strange Music. Just watch — here we come.”

In an industry severely damaged by the economy and digital file sharing, Tech N9ne’s ability to gain Billboard traction is rather remarkable. His music gets very little national radio airplay and virtually no video support from star-makers MTV and BET.

Despite that, “Killer” sold 14,000 more copies during its debut release than Tech N9ne’s 2006 studio album, “Everready” — a sign indicating Strange Music’s brand is growing stronger. Some industry insiders have pegged Strange as the new millennium No Limit Records, the Master P-run label that exploded out of Louisiana in the 1990s.

The strong showing of “Killer” comes on the heels of Minneapolis independent rap group Atmosphere making industrywide news in May, selling 36,500 units and cracking the Billboard Top 5 with its most recent release, “When Life Gives You Lemons.” Like Strange Music, Atmosphere’s label, Rhymesayers, has figured out how to move units and grow a rabid fan base while being ignored by radio and TV.

“We tour harder (and more often) than any other rap act,” said Travis O’Guin, Strange Music founder and president. “We evolve our merchandise to maintain strong sales, and we have an incredible internet presence with MySpace, Facebook, YouTube and other sites. These things allow us to reach out to fans, to bring the music to them and to keep them excited and involved.”

Strange Music’s independence from a major label creates the artist freedom that allows Tech N9ne to produce some of the most diverse music in the rap genre. Tech N9ne’s rap style defies definition. He bounces from traditional MC to storyteller to rock/rap to gangsta to dance/party to social commentator song to song.

“The major labels force their A&R people on the artists,” said Brian Shafton, president of Los Angeles’ RBC Records, a management consulting firm for music labels. “The majors force producers on the artist. That’s why much of the music sounds stale, the same. An independent artist can do, say, write whatever he believes. They can communicate what they want rather than what a corporation thinks needs to be said.”

What’s next for Tech N9ne and Strange Music is the shooting of a video for the single “Everybody Move,” and then some touring, followed by the release of albums by labelmates Skatterman and Snug Brim and Kutt Calhoun.

SPATCH 07-10-2008 08:43 PM

i've heard good things about this album... i think absolute power was his best work so far. but i'll give this one a listen

KcMizzou 07-10-2008 08:48 PM

I'm not one to bitch about reposts... but I've got the same thread in the media section.

Here's a link if you wanna read the posts there.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=187091

I think it kicks ass. Tech rocks. It's a damned same he hasn't "hit it big"... but I'm sure he's doing just fine.

The guy's unique, and very talented.

dirk digler 07-10-2008 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 4840488)
I'm not one to bitch about reposts... but I've got the same thread in the media section.

Here's a link if you wanna read the posts there.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=187091

I think it kicks ass. Tech rocks. It's a damned same he hasn't "hit it big"... but I'm sure he's doing just fine.

The guy's unique, and very talented.

Sorry I missed it.

I just think it is strange or something that Whitlock would write this article and have it placed on the sports page. I mean it is not like he can't write about sports or something. How about the Royals or training camp that is 2 weeks away.

KcMizzou 07-10-2008 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 4840492)
Sorry I missed it.

I just think it is strange or something that Whitlock would write this article and have it placed on the sports page. I mean it is not like he can't write about sports or something. How about the Royals or training camp that is 2 weeks away.

From what I understand, it wasn't on the sports page in the paper... only on the website.

Hence the gnashing of teeth in the Star website's comment section.

Reaper16 07-10-2008 09:02 PM

Yeah, it was printed on page A3.

Pneuma 07-11-2008 01:06 AM

I normally listen to the metal genre, but Tech N9ne's new cd Killer is fantastic. Dare I say I like it more then Absolute Power? Anyone that is a rap fan, this is a must buy. Anyone with a mild interest should at least give it a spin. I feel it is always good to support local indie artists.

88TG88 07-11-2008 01:15 AM

I've heard alot about him. Maybe its time for me to check out his stuff.

Abba-Dabba 07-11-2008 04:42 AM

Good for him. Don't care for his style. But good for him getting out there and making some decent cheese for once.

Demonpenz 07-11-2008 07:44 AM

Tech nine is awesome, sometimes he is sloppy, but some of his songs really take me back

I I I I Eienstien
tech 9

DJ's left nut 07-11-2008 11:27 AM

Terrible TERRIBLE concert.

Saw them at Spirit fest about 6 years ago. Lip Synched and shook his head back and forth the whole time.

Worst concert I've ever been to, I was really disappointed.

Chiefs Pantalones 07-11-2008 01:27 PM

LMAO

Tech N9ne is one of the worst rappers I've ever heard.

NewChief 07-11-2008 01:30 PM

It's weird to me that Whitlock goes off on his rant about the negativity of hiphop culture and the like while simultaneously pimping a rapper who glamorizes drug use and other negative behaviors.

POND_OF_RED 07-11-2008 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 4840469)
“It’s wonderful to be amongst the likes of Lil Wayne, Kid Rock and Rihanna,” said Tech N9ne

:doh!:Way to set your goals high!

Otter 07-11-2008 02:18 PM

Is this some sort of McHammer comeback?